Middle Earth Quotes to discus

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Smodden
here is how this works...

you say a quote and we discus it here...

tell what the quote says to you personally...tell what you think tolkien was thinking when he wrote that quote...what the character meant (if it was a character)...ect

so i will go:

"When dawn comes, I will bid men sound Helm's horn, and I will ride forth...Maybe we shall cleave a road, or make such an end as will be worth a song..."-Theoden

beutifull arangement of words said by the king of rohan...
when the ppl of m:e do something of importance they hoped they were in songs and tales...they did not have magazines and newspapers...to carry news back and forth and to have your deed put into a song insured your deeds would live on at least for a little while when you died. People would walk by your grave and sing the song of theoden and his many deeds...

shadowy_blue
My turn? eek!

I loved the profundity of the statement. When I first read it I was greatly moved, though I have no idea yet that the Hobbits will develop to be fully matured and will have a tremendous impact to everyone's lives. It was very moving and inspiring because we haven't really heard of Hobbits before. All the events in The Silmarillion only regarded the valor and intrepidness of the Elves and Men and Valar and even Dwarves, and it is very unexpected that creatures such as Hobbits will be the major hope of everyone in Middle-earth.

The statement has such a strong force to it and it makes you want to admire the Hobbits more. happy

Kitoky
"It is inevitable." - Elrond.

I forget when he says this....

Discos
lol,

"the eagles are coming" - ya know I was going to chose this quote, I actually think it is a great line to resemble the anticapation.....just like in Moria when Gandalf states "They are coming"

Smodden
"fool of a took!"-gandalf the gray

how can you not love that line..?

Smodden
"Last of all Hurin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed; and it is sung that the axe smoked in the black blood of the troll-guard of Gothmog until it withered, and each time that he slew Hurin cried 'Aure entuluva! Day shall come again!' Seventy times he uttered that cry; but they took him at last alive..." - The Silmarillion

winks-b...

this is my all-time fav quote of the sil...it literally shakes me down...its that powerfull of a quote...the first time i read it...i just froze and couldn't read any more...just picturing turin slaying countless orcs...with the words: Aure entuluva....echoing in my head over and over...untill i was saying it...aloud, i don't know why but its just something about the situation, and him being sooo desparate, and never giving up hope...i love that line...

Discos
it gets quite annoying that quote lol, gandalf totally puts him down and Pippin wants gandalf to like him

sauron
well., what CANT you love about that!?!?

sauron
that just reminded me

boromir took three arrows and thrice he rose

yet another sil reference

Thorondor
"Doom!" - Elrond

need i say more? lol

shadowy_blue
I just want to say...these are the reasons why I love the bad minions in Middle-earth.

They have the coooooollesstt lines in the whole damn books!!! cool big grin love

shadowy_blue
Now, to break them down...

When I first read this...I remember my first thought was..."Wow! He's cool........and a bastard."
There was just something in that line that is too cool to say and hear, but if you look at it in a deeper way, that was very cruel of him to say something like that. Now, I'm starting to believe that he indeed was affected by some of Saruman's attitudes.

I was having a sensory overload when I first read this. Wow! A parallel statement. And just like I said, it's cool. I really can't put my finger on why it appeared very cool to me, but yes..it is. You could really feel the Goblins' hatred toward the Elves, and they were really very determined to kill Bilbo and the Dwarves.

Hhmm, I will kinda take the path of The Bible here, but not too much. Just a little bit, just for reference. That particular line of Sauron reminded me of the Devil who tempted Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden. The Devil promised that if Eve bit the apple (symbol for temptation)..they will be stronger and more knowledgable and more powerful than God. Sauron really is a deceiver, and very great at that. wink

It caught my attention because...again...it's cool. wink I've never thought of it before. One thief deserves another..LOL..stick out tongue But if you'll really think about it, it's very true.

All I can say is....LOL! laughing out loud Well, that's not all...but that was the first thing that came to my head when I've read it. stick out tongue

I'll do the rest later. big grin

Smodden
*calls s-b*mobile

vvery good all of smaug's lines are pure genius...i love everyone of his lines...big grin

Exa
Great quotes, Shadowy. I like especially the one with Morgoth being the giver of freedom, this idea fascinates me, I also started to search for more quotes like that (i only never can remember where I wrote them down...)

The line above you quoted somehow reminds me of one of Feanors lines in the Silmarillion - a thief shall reveal thieves or something like that, I cant remember correctly, it's one or two sentences after Mandos' comment on Feanors famous quote ("and if I shall break them, I shall break my heart, and i shall be slain, first of all Eldar of Aman" - "Not the first..." (in reference to Finwe, slain shortly before by Melkor)

muse5
one of my friends named me 'fool of a took' or just 'took', for people who know me... know why i appreciate that line so much, i have done soo many things like pippin's moria skeleton in my life, but that was just great

Kitoky
This said by Galadriel.

shadowy_blue
Oh, I found it. big grin

Very excellent quote indeed. big grin I just love his attitude so much.

sauron
isnt there a

ifi break them i shall break my heart and know that the vala are indeed the kindred of morgoth

or soemthing like that in there

Smodden
also...

"it is said do not ask the elves for counsil for they will say both yes and no..."

i forgot exactly who said that....frodo?...to an elf in the shire...??

Thorondor
elrond was it not?

edit - no it was the elf he and sam met near the start of the FoTR

Smodden
thats right....i remember

sauron
smodden frodo said it to that elf yes

gildor:do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger

frodo: *defensive* do not go to the elves for counsil, they will answer both yes and no

Smodden
okie thanx

sauron
details details stick out tongue

Kitoky
Actually...

"Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both no and yes."

sauron
and again detail details stick out tongue smile

shadowy_blue
It went like this: smile

smile

sauron
thank you shadowy big grin

shadowy_blue
No problemo. big grin

Kitoky
'Your quest is known to us,' said Galadriel, looking at Frodo. 'But we will not here speak of it more openly. Yet not in van will it prove, maybe, that you came to this seeking aid, as Gandalf himself plainly purposed. For the Lord of the Galadhrim is accounted the wisest of the Elves of Middle-Earth, and a giver of gifts beyond the power of kings. He has dwelt in the West since the days of dawn, and I have dwelt with him years uncounted; for ere the fall of Norgothrond or Gondolin I passed over the mountains, and together through the ages of the world we have fought the long defeat.'

So Galadriel said that Celeborn was said to be the wisest of the elves in Arda...though in truth to us, she herself, is the wisest...She also was with Celeborn throughout everything that has made him the title of "wisest elf in Middle-Earth".

This passage also speaks of those who "fought the long defeat".

Galadriel - ever so amazes me...

Trickster
"Welcome back, Mr Anderson." - Elrond

Trickster
Oops, sorry, just remembered that was the matrix stick out tongue

No, I like all the Tom Bombadil quotes. And I mean all of them!

Kitoky
That little joke has already been done..stick out tongue

Trickster
Really? Well, it's not at all original. I'm not surprised. wink

However, I did like your quote from earlier,
"Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both no and yes."
It is one of my favourites.

Kitoky
Yeah - which takes us back to Galadriel because she says "I will not give you counsel, saying do this, do that."

Smodden
well that was MY quote...but ya know

Trickster
Well Kitoky posted it on this page.

Fëanor
i like this qoute...for it says it all...

"To be! or not to be?"...

Kitoky
May we discuss THIS one?

Smodden
hmm.....so celeborn is the wisest...?

i don't know....(did anyone else think that he was sorta a zombie in FOtR?...)

galadriel to me is the wisest...but i'm to lazy now to say much more at the moment...will discuss more later..

szhismine
here's my absolute fave quote:

simple, yet powerful. love brought tears to my eyes when Sean Astin said it.

here's something else i like:

i just love it. great beginning for a great book. smile

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.