uk music vs usa music

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

dean7879
who do u think have created the best music over the last 50-60 years
i think america edges it in todays music such as eminem, britney, christina, madonna, beyonce,LOADS OF GOOD ARTISTS........ but for past music i say uk edges it with bands such as led zeppelin, black sabbath, iron maiden, the beatles, pink floyd,elton john, sex pistols, the police

what are ure opinions???

HockeyHorror
ummm i listen to underground hip hop. so from my perspective i would say usa has better underground artiststhan the uk. but i think Canada has one of the best underground artists.

speiderman
Is garage still big in Great Britain?

amity75
Britpop was an amazing thing to happen and we won't see it's like again for many years. Some of the best music of the last 30 years came out of Britpop and I'm not just talking about Oasis or Blur, Bands like Pulp and Stereophonics helped create guitar driven music that America couldn't compete with in the early nineties.

ElectricBugaloo
No doubt, historically the UK has produced a lot better popular musicians than the US.
The Beatles
Rolling Stones
Pink Floyd
Led Zeppelin
Sabbath

but the US can hold it's own
Beach Boys
Bob Dylan
Bruce Springsteen

as for currently, there is very little that is popular on either side of the pond; when talentless hacks like The Darkness (who are just copying things done 20 years ago) can become popular...it's a sad state of affairs.

As for the Sex Pistols, they are criminally overrated constantly. They were a mediocre (at best) punk band; UK punk had become somewhat of an accepted institution in the UK (much the same way, say, gangsta rap would be now--younger people don't really care, but the parents are deadset against it). After the punk thing faded away in the UK, THEN the US' best punk music came; Anti Flag, X, The Germs, the whole LA scene, the DC scene (I recognize that bands such as MC5, The Stooges, and The Ramones predated or were peers with most British Punk, but I am making a generalized statement that the 80s punk--aka hardcore--was the US' best and most important contribution to punk music).

Overall rock and roll, i'd have to give the edge to the UK; Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath started (for better or worse) heavy metal. The whole blues-rock thing was mostly made in the UK (Zeppelin, Cream, etc), which is surprising, as blues was a more popular music form in the United States at the time.

Pop-rock (which the Beatles dominated) was again to the UK. Despite the best efforts of bands such as the BEach Boys (Pet Sounds is undoubtedly on par with Sgt Peppers, Revolver--any Beatles album), the Beatles just had MORE great songs than anyone else.

OK, I'm tired of typing and am going to breakfast

Darkseed
US:

Iced Earth (Matt Barlow on vocals).
Pantera.
Testament.
Guns N Roses.
Megadeth (old school style).
Morbid Angel.
cr*pallica (they hold Iron Maiden as an influence amoungst other "UK" bands).

UK:

Iron Maiden.
Dragonforce.
Judas Priest.
Black Sabbath.
Cradle Of Filth.
Motorhead.

The UK, no doubt there, the us bands draw influences from most of the uk bands out there (the big named one`s, maiden, sabbath, priest, motorhead etc), they add the influences from them to their own sounds but in the end where do the influences come from ?...The UK (now dont get me wrong i know not every influential band comes from the uk, but a hell of al ot of them do, be it Metal or the commercial nonsense, as some have alread stated earlier here).

ElectricBugaloo
without the 'commercial nonsense' metal as we hear it today would not be the same as it is; The Beatles influenced Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath.

dean7879
i love dragonforce. there best song is starfire

KMC
Got to go for the UK. Without The Beatles, i dont want to even think about that, but i think things would be f*cked. Well, even more so than they are now.
Maybe I'm slightly biased but i'm definitely not being patriotic, far from it.

Kate xx

Tex
eek! laughing out loud eek!

You have got to be kidding! thumb down

dean7879
lol ok they are not great but they are decent and besides...i was just spoutin out names out of the top of my head smile smile

ElectricBugaloo
Well, I was trying to think of great popular bands from either the US or the UK, but couldn't come up with any off the top of my head.

There are a lot of mediocre-->good bands, but none right now that are truly GREAT. Even those that are great and are still around are no longer making great music (Pearl Jam, Weezer, The Pixies)

Black Onyx
urmmmmmm

brit diudes have sexy voices but they have WAY to much pop

america rock

StinkFist462
Uk has Sabbath .. i like UK ... but US has Tool ... idk .. they both good

Black Onyx
lmao

finland

StinkFist462
blink

Black Onyx
deedle doo

StinkFist462
sleep

Black Onyx
edit

wanker

total metalhead
In the past, I would have said UK without a doubt. Zeppelin, Sabbath, The Who, The Jam, AC DC, The Clash, Pink Floyd, Sex Pistols...you can't beat that.

However I think over the last 10 years the US has gone way ahead. There are still a few great British bands (Muse, Lostprophets, Radiohead etc.) but there are many more great American bands out there right now. Tool, Red Hot Chili Peppers, A Perfect Circle, Nine Inch Nails and Metallica to name but a few.

Conclusion: if this thread had been started 30 years ago, UK would win easy, but the 90's/00's have been dominated by the US.

dean7879
anyone like robbie williams?????

amity75
As much as I'd like to hate the fat little ***, it's actually quite difficult to do so coz his songs ARE quite good and as much as I hate to say it, he's a very clever guy.

KMC
^Angels! Aagh! i want to scratch out my eyes (and ears) everytime thats on...

Kate xx

amity75
I did that years ago while listening to him so I'm immune to him now. Thankfully.

KMC
Maybe i'll become immune, god i hope so...

Kate xx

Darkseed
I care not for anything outside the Metal World, no matter how influential they are, sorry, no offence intended by this comment smile.

dave7879, my favourite Dragonforce song is "My Soul Will Live On" the guitar solo`s in that are kick arse stuff smile.

amity75
Who's the guy in your avatar?

Black Onyx
yo' mama

amity75
My mum died last week. Thanks for that.

manson666
are you serious

im sorry dude

Black Onyx
omg im so so sorry i didnt mean it in a bad way its just a joke alot of people in the US say .. well at least at my school

but i know how you feel my mother died a year ago like a week before my birthday if you need to talk you know you can always PM me

dean7879
my teacher at college is in a band and he knows the members of dragonforce and he is going to get me a signed copy of their album

Darkseed
fooking lucky b*st*rd mad :big grin: just joking i`ve got two signed Maiden pics but thats the onyl signed stuff i have from any bands i like, there`s this goon i dislike he has a signed Nuclear Assault record, maybe i could stab him and take it as it would be better in the collection of a diehard metal fan instead of a choob = idiot like him smile.

Darkseed
Talking to me ? confused if so then my avatar is of Bruce Bohne (Andy) from the new Dawn Of The Dead movie, hopefully in the next couple of days i`ll have a signature of him up as well smile, a capture of him from the bootleg dvd i have, dont worry i`ll be buying the retail version when available (region 1 that is).

04wayne
US:
Celine Dion
Britney
Madonna
Greenday (Although I hate them)
Elvis
Michael Jackson (I hate hime as well)
Frank Sinatra

UK:
The Beatles
U2
The Rolling Stones
The Spice Girls (I hate these)
Robbie Williams
Cliff Richard
Elton John
Queen

Blue Dragon
I don't really know who is what nation.
Green Day (American..but Billie Joe speaks like an English person)
Evanescence (American?)
The Music (British)
Papa Roach (?)
Marilyn Manson (American)
The Hives (?)
Linkin Park (American?)
Good Charlotte (American)
The Killers (?)
Tabby Callaghan (Irish)
G4 (British)
Scissor Sisters (American)

Alpha Centauri
I think UK can compete just because of the QUALITY of it's big leaguers.

Radiohead, Colour of Fire, Porcupine Tree, The Cure etc.

However overall, if it came down to it, US without a doubt.

-AC

Alice_In_Chains
Originally posted by Deano
who do u think have created the best music over the last 50-60 years
i think america edges it in todays music such as eminem, britney, christina, madonna, beyonce,LOADS OF GOOD ARTISTS........ but for past music i say uk edges it with bands such as led zeppelin, black sabbath, iron maiden, the beatles, pink floyd,elton john, sex pistols, the police

what are ure opinions???

The Uk has so many amazing bands...(u forgot The Clash)
theres alot of cool bands today too...
but i like alot of american bands...so

ill shoosh

eggmayo
Most music I like is old classic rock, mainly like Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin, so I would say English.

Deano
overall british wins cos of its earlier influences

Alpha Centauri
Oh and anyone who thinks Robbie Williams is worthy of anything but death, need to re-evaluate their view of what constitutes talent.

The man has to be the absolute worst abomination there is.

Originally posted by Deano
overall british wins cos of its earlier influences

No, not really. Because some of today's American bands have been better than those bands.

Don't equate nationality and antiquity with talent. Led Zeppelin aren't one of the best ever because they are old and British, it's because they're kick ass musicians. They're no Faith No More.

-AC

TOMASS2
Not really sure bout this one its quite hard, i think in the past uk has produced the best music but now usa have taken over.

UK: Led Zeppelin
Black Sabbath
Sex Pistols
The Cure
The Clash
Radiohead
THe Beatles
Queen
Ash (not as old lol but still quite good)
Muse

im not gonna say U2 cos they are the most overated piece of crap of all time thats my view sorry to anyone who doesnt think so i feel sorry for you lol

USA: Jimi Hendrix (hello the legend)
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Nirvana
Green Day
White Stripes
The Ramones!!!!!!!!!!
Queens of the stone age
Foo Fighters
Pantera
Offspring
Rage against the Machine
Blink 182 (i dont really like em that much)
to be honest i could go on all day but this is all i could think of for now in my opinion USA have much better bands and there are more good bands but you cant ignore the fact that UK has produced the best music who have inspired the USA bands like Nirvana, Green Day etc
MAke up your own mind.

mr.smiley
I say as of now,the usa has better music.Imo,the new british stuff is just terrible.
As for punk,i prefere the ramones over the sex pistols any day

Morning_Glory
Im a yank and I like UK music way better than the music in USA -

cant stand some of the crap that comes out in america

eggmayo
Why is this even being compared?
Theoretically the US should churn out some better music, they have more people, hence more musicians..

Deano
i agree
most my fav bands are british though

Morning_Glory
Originally posted by eggmayo
Why is this even being compared?
Theoretically the US should churn out some better music, they have more people, hence more musicians..

they could... but I have yet to hear anything that really captivates me...like Brit music

Alpha Centauri
That isn't to say British bands make better music.

-AC

mr.smiley
most british music sounds to boring.Even the more rockin stuff is kind of light when it comes to more mainstream music

Afro Cheese
Personally I listen to more American music than British music.. but a couple decades ago it would've been Britain by a landslide.

mr.smiley
yeah,i think the same way

epro
I prefer UK music simply because there aren't as many emo and rap artists. I like UK's style more...

Alpha Centauri
For every shit US Emo band there's a shit UK Indie band.

-AC

Morning_Glory
true.

Afro Cheese
Actually the fact that America has rap sorta pushes America a little ahead of England in my book... haven't heard much good UK hip hop to be honest.

Morning_Glory
rap sucks... (sometimes...no most of the time)

Afro Cheese
Eh.. I don't feel like arguing about rap music right now.

Morning_Glory
why? are you going to say you like it?

Afro Cheese
Of course I like it. Why else would I say that I think America having rap music is a plus?

Morning_Glory
no expression

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.