Kill Bill References [merged]

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

badkittykitty
heres a very cool list of movies that are referenced or very much like scenes in kill bill
http://tarantino.webds.de/tarantino/movie/killbill/articles/references-guide.htm

mook
nice list!

WindDancer
I think that "Iron Monkey" is defenetly an influece for QT. If you remenber he did a commentary section in the dvd version of Iron Monkey. He talk so much about low budget kung fu films that he use to go to watch when he was young.

kalantiaw
didn't they talked about this in pulp fiction. mrs. wallace's pilot... the fox force five? or is it just me confused

badkittykitty
wow..I'm not sure..I haven't seen some of the commentary,I have that movie too..*must go look*

fox force five..I know I got info on that some where in my brain i just can't think at the moment sad

Myth
I'm sure there was a better topic for this but this has to do with references so I'll post this here rather than a whole new thread.

Its very minor but:
in Kill Bill Buck the Pussy Wagon guy says: "I'm Buck, and I'm here to fuk." or something like that.
in PF the bartender says: "I'm Paul and this is just between y'all." or something like that (again).

I didn't notice this before but I'm sure this was intentional to have a guy make a rhyme with his name like that.

Fire
itchi the killer sucks.

the guy needs to get his facts straight

Master of the Flying Guillotine (Jimmy Wang Yu, 1975, Hong Kong). Music from that was used (Super16 by Neu!, the rights were bought), and also the mace GoGo is using somewhat reminds of this.

a flying guillotine is NOT a mace

GoGo and the master both us a Flying Guillotine eek! roll eyes (sarcastic) can you believe it?

WindDancer
I totally agree with you Fire. Except, I like Ichi a lot big grin

TrAnCeDuO
honestly i think the flying guillitine is a kind of mace but its one of those weapons that are so unique that you just cant really classify them...

Lord Soth
It is a mace of sorts, but flying guillotine is just a cooler name yes

WindDancer
There is one reference that needs to be add it. I belive the music of Il Mercenario (The Mercenary) was used for the buried alive scene. Which makes sense since Il Mercenario is a Spagetthi Western.

killthesunlight
some of those didnt really add up, i mean a lot did , but then there were ones where it just had the same "font" or something like that... it didnt really make sense but who knows i could be wrong.. so which speghetti western was playing in kill bills house?

gtsecc
In RD the radio station is KBilly, and in Pulp Fiction Uma tells a Fox Fire Five joke about the tomatoes.

mook
At the end of Hard-boiled an assassin wearing a big white eye patch is in a hospital.

this reminded me of Elle Driver in Kill Bill - is the eye patch a reference to Hard-boiled/ something else/ just an eye patch?

WindDancer
I think that particular song is also from Il Mercenario. I gotta get me the KB vol. 2 soundtrack.

Myth
Just curious, was the assassin male or female? I know I've seen pictures of a movie that Elle was based after which had a blonde female that wore an eye patch that matched whatever outfit she was wearing (just like Elle). Don't know anything else about that movie though, not even if the girl was an assassin.

roundisfunny
It's been a while since I saw it, but I believe the eyepatch character in "Hard-Boiled" was called "Mad Dog", and he was a tough-as-nails hitman who killed an intern and took his outfit to infiltrate the hospital.

John Woo could have based Mad Dog's outfit on the same nurse on whom Quentin based Elle.

Aerosin
Carrie, the split scene w/ the bride and elle, thats when Carrie kills all the mofos...

mook
yeah thats the character.
which film was the nurse in - any pictures?

roundisfunny
According to the link on the "References" thread, the character of Elle is based on the character from this Swedish film:

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0072285/combined

The IMDb even has KB1 as a reference in its "Movie Connections" section for this movie.

gtsecc

Myth
The cigarettes.

gtsecc
Come on folks, there are so many more.

burlyman
Red Apple Cigarettes billboard big grin That was so great...and I think It's Sophie on the poster

mook
Volume 2
she takes a blade out of cowboy boots - in RDogs mr.blonde takes a blade out of his cowboy boots.

Myth
Its the same type of shaving blade too.

roundisfunny
From the IMDb:

...when the Bride and Bill are talking, Bill says that he hears a gunshot to the kneecap is quite painful. In Reservoir Dogs, Mr. White says to Mr. Orange, "Aside from the kneecap, the gut is the most painful area a guy can get shot in."

Michael Madsen stands in the doorway of his trailer and strikes the same pose as he does against the pole in Reservoir Dogs.

On the wall in Bud's trailer hangs a poster for Mr. Majestyk (1974). In True Romance (1993), written by Quentin Tarantino, Drexl calls Clarence "Motherf*ckin' Charlie Bronson. Mr. Majestyk."

Elle Driver wears the same outfit that Uma Thurman wears in Pulp Fiction (1994). It was also worn by Pam Grier in Jackie Brown (1997).

Quentin Tarantino has confirmed in interviews that the "Deadly Viper Assassination Squad (DIVAS)" was inspired by "Fox Force Five", the fictional television show that Mia Wallace (Uma Thurman) filmed in Pulp Fiction (1994).

Buck, the male nurse who lets his friend in to have sex with The Bride says "Are we absolutely clear on Rule #1?" This same line was used by George Clooney in From Dusk Till Dawn (1996).

As the detectives walk into the destroyed wedding chapel with bodies on the floor, the radio starts. Before it gets to the right song, someone can be heard singing "Donde Esta?". In the Reservoir Dogs (1992) torture scene, the same sound bite is heard before Mr. Blonde changes the station to K-BILLY.

Buck (the nurse) has the same "Elvis" sunglasses as Clarence Worley in True Romance (1993).

Vernita Green complains about being given a codename she doesn't like. Mr. Pink had a similar argument in Reservoir Dogs (1992).

Daryl Hannah's character is called "Elle Driver". The production team for the documentary Full Tilt Boogie (1997), a documentary about the production of From Dusk Till Dawn (1996) (starring Quentin Tarantino) and the people who made it is also called " L. Driver Productions".

And those are just the references to other Tarantino films....

kohl
how about the choice of names for bill and budd? could that be an allusion to the book billy budd?

erikport
This is a visual reference:
It's from Hiroyuki Nakano's Samurai Fiction

It looks a lot to the fight in Charlie Brown's restaurant where The Bride fights with the Crazy88
And also when The Bride is trining with Pai Mei (in a red background).

erikport
This is the most obvious. Mr. Bruce Lee in The New Game of Death ..

erikport
And my favorite... Kenji Misumi's Shogun Assasin (it is mentioned in KBV2)...

erikport
This is a lot like another scene in The Bride's training at Pai Mei's. However, I've seen a lot of scenes like this. The good thing is that Gordon Liu is in this one.

erikport
I forgot the name of the previous film: Fits and Guts and is directed by Liu Chia-liang.
And the last one. Tarantino says he loves Takashi Miike's films. This is a little gory but I suppose that if you like the KB movies you MUST be cool with gory pics. Anyway, this is from "Ichi, The Killer" and it looks kinda similar (not that much) to the final scene in Charlie Brown's restaurant.

erikport

Ice Mario
The joke told by one of the Crazy 88 judging by the actions is the same as the one told in Killing Zoe.

note: Vernita only says she should have been called Black Mamba, due to the fact that she is black. She doesn't complain about her current codename.

gtsecc
What si the joke told by the crazy ** and told in Killing Zoe?

Raz Jr
the hanzo sword is the same one used in Pulp Fiction when that man gets kidnapped by the rapist people

gtsecc
What are the symbols on the Hanzo swords, Uma has a Tiger, Bill has Dragon or Darth Maul, What is on Budds?

Raz Jr
an inscription from bill? i'll go look smile

Raz Jr
yup, i've checked the scene with it in.... and all i can see is "too my brother budd.. etc" sad anyone know anything else?

Myth
can you see the symbol or inscription on Bruce's sword?

Raz Jr
assuming bruce is that PF man, it is the SAME one (or at least a model) of the KB one

gtsecc
I thihnk it is on the sheeth not the sword.

badkittykitty
merged three Kill Bill References threads so if it seems a little nuts..sorry about that laughing out loud

Myth
How about Steve Buscimi's cameo in Pulp Fiction? I think they did that because of the tipping discussion in Reservoir Dogs.

roundisfunny
Vernita's pseudonym, Jeanie Bell, is the name of an actress who starred in blaxplotation flick "TNT Jackson". Blaxploitation is another one of QT's heavy influences.

And, Ice Mario, it does seem as though Vernita is dissatisfied with her name, or else she wouldn't have brought it up. I think the implication is that Vernita thinks that she and the Bride should have switched nicknames, since the Bride is blonde and Vernita is black (sorta like Mr. Pink, who offered to trade nicknames with "cool-sounding" Mr. White, did sorta "p*ssy out" at the end of RD by hiding and running off???).

Ice Mario
No, she was not complaining about her name. She mentions Black Mamba, and then comments that she should have been Black Mamba, obviously because she is black.

roundisfunny
We're both speaking English, but I don't think we're speaking the same language. Did you even read my last post? I just said that Vernita was dissatisfied with her assigned name. The line is:

"Black Mamba...humph! I shoulda been muthaf*ckin' Black Mamba!"

AND...I honestly do believe (pay attention now) that Vernita thinks that Vernita's moniker was not appropriate for her, hence the reference to herself, not just the bride.

Ice Mario
Yes, I read your post and I fully disagree. She never once complains about her name, just says that she should've been Black Mamba because she is BLACK. Is it really hard to understand?

dave123
she doesn't complain as such, although she would have preferred being Black Mamba, or at least she should have been BM instead of the bride

she doesn't have a problem with her current name, but it's just the fact that she isn't black mamba whereas someone who isn't white, IS black mamba

so... if the bride was call Python or something, everyone would have been happy yes

Ice Mario
Correctamondo.

roundisfunny
But the Bride was NOT named Python! Wait...before this ends with a shootout in a coffin warehouse, let's take a breath and look back at what was originally posted:

Vernita Green complains about being given a codename she doesn't like. Mr. Pink had a similar argument in Reservoir Dogs (1992).

That was lifted from (and properly attributed to) the IMDb. Someone else phrased it that way, not me. While it's true that Vernita did not specifically say "I don't like my name" in the same manner that Mr. Pink did, she DID complain that the name "Black Mamba" was inappropriately assigned to the Bride instead of to her. Hence, she does have at least some dissatisfaction with her own name; why else (for the third time) would she have complained about it?.

So, while Vernita doesn't phrase it exactly the same way Mr. Pink did, they both vocally expressed dissatisfaction with the choice of nickname distribution as it pertained to their personae (Mr. Pink didn't want to be associated with "p*ssy", and Vernita thought, since she is black, she should have had the name "Black Mamba" instead of "Copperhead"wink.

dave123
let me explain:

Mr Pink didn't like his name INDEPENDTLY. He didn't care who everyone else was: he would be cool with Mr Purple.... well, any colour besides Pink.
He has no problem with someone else being Mr Black or Mr Blonde, but he would rather be any other colour EXCEPT Pink.

Now for V. Her name was just fine, 100% peachy yes she didn't have a problem with it at all no when they chose/were given names, I doubt she complained at all no the problem has nothing to with HER NOT being BM, but that fact that The Bride IS BM, despite the fact she's white and V is literally black.

In short: if no one was Black Mamba, there would be no problems, it's jealousy I guess smile

burlyman
Vivica was credited as Cobra for her codename a while ago (I think its in the oringinal script too) and so was later changed to Copperhead.

I think its about colour not Vernita's codename, since she doesn't refer to it, only The Brides.

confused

dave123
V doesn't care about her name, it's just the she should be BM instead of The Bride out of principle

burlyman
yahuh yesblink

sarahvma
It's obvious it's about color. California Mountain Snake is Elle - a very California-looking girl with long unnatural blonde hair and blue... eye. Then you have Copperhead and Black Mamba. She was saying, in essence, why is it that the black woman gets Copperhead and the Blonde gets Black Mamba. Her character is so obviously supposed to be the stereotypical black woman that it's in keeping.

roundisfunny
Once again, I think we're saying six of one, half a dozen of the other. Can we at least agree that the general complaining of nickname assignments is similar in the two films?

sarahvma
....Miserable Asp-hole... that was good. lol.

dave123
it's similar, of course stick out tongue

but let me say this: Because White spoke up about not caring about colours, Pink took the oppertunity to attempt a trade with him... no other reason

sarahvma
Bottom line: the concept of people being unhappy with pre-chosen nicknames is a common theme. End of discussion. It's clear that Tarantino has always been very racially oriented (using the N word to the Nth degree) and whatever else. If you want to speculate, that's cool, but only one comment was really being made.

dave123
how else are we meant to boost our post count?

i mean uuh... whistle

sarahvma
lol -- good point... I say Mr. Orange went to the LAPD because he was unhappy with his name.. yeah, that's it.. I say there's a name conspiracy!

dave123
nah, i just like arguing happy even when i agree stick out tongue

roundisfunny
Not to be pedantic, but...Freddy Newendyke was working for the LAPD long before he became Mr. Orange.

Sorry, I'll shut up now.

sarahvma
lol -- came in a little late - I was just chiding Dave for picking a fight just to get a posting upgrade...

dave123
I've got over 10k posts anyway big grin

but seriously, lets get this back on topic (sorry, I'm used to the OTF)

eek! anyone got some mroe references???

sarahvma
I've got a truckload from my old thread...

-A similar gas can to the one Mr. Blonde uses on the cop is in Budd's trailer
-The Bride pulls a straight-razor from her cowboy boots, just as Mr. Blonde does in Reservoir Dogs
-The brand of cigarettes Butch orders at Wallace's club are Red Apples - look for a huge Red Apple ad in the airport of Japan when The Bride is walking through
-There's a line that Harvey Keitel says in the beginning of Dogs basically says 'along with the kneecap, the gut is the most painful place a guy can get shot in' very similar to the line Bill says to The Bride
-Is it just me or is Mr. Blonde holding a Big Kahuna Burger cup in Dogs?
-Budd uses the same lighter to light his cigarette as Mr. Blonde was about to use on the cop
-Budd, obviously uncomfortable with his companion's catsuit attire chooses a very Reservoir Dogs-style outfit when he walks into the chapel - thin black tie and all - along with the glasses.
- When in Vernita's house, the Bride makes the same square shape (this time with only one finger) as she did in the car with Vince Vega at Jack Rabbit Slim's when she's explaining to Vernita that in order to be square (even-steven) she would have to kill her whole family
- This is a picky one, but when The Bride finally comes out of the coma, it looks a lot like after they give her the adrenaline shot
Also the same "trunk shot":
- Reservoir Dogs - Mr Blonde showing the cop in the trunk.
- Pulp Fiction - when Vincent and Jules are getting the guns out of the trunk.
- Jackie Brown - guy in the trunk.
- Kill Bill - Beatrix opening the trunk to question Sofie Fatale.

sarahvma
You can see boxes of cereal (QT's favorite food) in nearly every one of his movies.

SenshiNaka
He didnt keep it Fruit Brute in Kill Bill though, it was KABOOM! cereal in Kill Bill. Sorry most everyone probably knew that already. stick out tongue

dave123
KABOOM was a reference/warning about the gun, that's why

sarahvma
... and I do believe it's actually a real cereal

SenshiNaka
Yea i kinda noticed, just letting everyone know he didnt use Fruit Brute in this movie at all. Im not sure if KABOOM was a real cereal but Fruit Brute was one of the discontinued "Monster" Cereals.

dave123
never seen it England sad

sarahvma
A lot of cereals have a shelf life of about... a month. In a lot of QT articles they talk about him being sad about that... particularly his remorse that Bill and Ted's Excellent Cereal was pulled - one of his all-time favorites.

SenshiNaka
Where do you read this stuff about Quentin? Are you stalking him? laughing

j/k.

dave123
i am shifty

Myth
I miss the Bill and Ted cereal. Mmm... marshmellow guitars.

roundisfunny
When the Red Apple reference was mentioned just now for KB, I got a mental picture of the Bride walking through the airport, and the tracking shot following her through the terminal at a side view.

Now, not to imply that this is anything but MARGINALLY near to another element in another QT movie, but is it POSSIBLE that this is SLIGHTLY close to being MICROSCOPICALLY similar to the opening shot of "Jackie Brown", which follows Jackie through the terminal using the same angle (left side, walking right to left)?

sarahvma
embarrasment whistle ... of course not

roundisfunny
Another link about references to other movies/TV shows/etc. in KB. He takes e-mail submissions, and he's missing at least a few items we've covered here, but he has a very slick-looking site, so feel free to fill him in (he also has a few that we don't--some pretty enlightening stuff).

Also--haven't seen it mentioned here, but the sheriff refers to the chapel slaughter as a "kill-crazy rampage", just as Mr. White referred to Mr. Blond's shooting spree in RD.

On that site referenced earlier, it says that Michael Parks (the sheriff) also plays the South American pimp who raised Bill. I had no idea! Good job, old boy! It also says that the character (Sheriff Earl McGraw) is the same one from "From Dusk 'Till Dawn", which means that KB must pre-date that film's events.

burlyman
I knew the Michael Parks thing confused

roundisfunny
Ah, but did you know this?

Last night while watching "Jackie Brown" for the umpteenth time, I looked closely at Detective Dargus (Michael Bowen). Holy moly, I thought, that's the guy that played Buck the nurse!

I looked him up just now to get the actor's name, and the IMDb says that he is the half-brother of Robert and Keith Carradine. It doesn't say how he's related to David, but according to David's bio page, they are all brothers, so there we are.

exfrey
you should watch Lady Snow Blood. then you will all realize where he ripped his crap film from. including some of the music. tarantino is a ****in tosser.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.