The Rasmus

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ikobe
Well, one of my friends asked me to rip the Dead Letters album to MD for them and I made a copy for myself... they're not bad. (:

claidisa_felton
ive only heard in the shadows but its good

yumcarrots
i got their album yesterday! listening to it now!

total metalhead
sleeping Another group of wannabe goth rockers. Woo.

Go listen to Lacuna Coil for a while.

Aleria_Sparrow
I love the rasmus... i want to hear more of their songs though!

tabby999
they remind me of Evanesence but with a boy instead of a girl singing

im not burlyman
in other words - crap confused

m!$hA
laughing i second that (tho i havnt heard them...but if theyre like evanesance!)

Dario Argento
they are so annoying

Df02
dear jesus, i thought this fad had passed.
HIM and Rasmus, 2 of the most annoying things ever to come out of europe.

Tilien
I dnt think their that bad... i mean i like a few of their songs on their album... but i do think they are like Evansence... (or how the heck ya spell it) but hey thats my opinon...

Clovie
don't compare rasmus with evenescence blink

they r ok nothing special, but ok. songs are nice smile

and btw i know lacuna coil, but i have no idea what it has in common with the subject huh

not europe, finnland stick out tongue
and there is also nightwish yes they r great yes

Aini
...so true...

Df02
i dont like nightwish either, if theyre all from finland i suggest carpet bombing finland

starshine
That wasn't nice... sad

Yeah, they are all from here.
I don't really like those three either.

Df02
fine fine, just stop them making music wink

starshine
I can't promise anything, but I'll try big grin

SeptemberRain
What a coincidence, iwas just at the record store, saw an album of Rasmus looked at thinking it might be good, but didnt buy it. And now first thing i see on the music forum is this thread. Weird

Deathblow
Lacuna Coil = good goth rock band

Evanescence = pop rock band, trying to be Lacuna Coil

The Rasmus = pop band, trying to be Evanescence

its sad really.

Df02
and imo Lacuna Coil arent particularly good stick out tongue

Placebo_fan
I may be slightly biased on this point because I like The Rasmus a bit and In the Shadows was a good radio playable song. But the fact that they want to be Evanescence is not precisely true, becuse they only want to play music, and are happy whatever music group they are. So if anyone tries to GET AT THEM by calling them pop, that's the thing that's sad. They may well be pop, but the fact that they are determined not to be swayed by other peoples opinions makes them a good band. Do you understand my point? If you don't, that's okay too. Just don't hurl abuse at me because i criticized your sentence. smile

Phoenix
Well, I like Rasmus and Evanescence - they're my favourite bands at the moment.

And you can make as many nasty comments as you like - I like them, and no-one is going to make me stop liking them! So there! wink

Deathblow
I'm not the type of person to hurl abuse at someone, no matter what they say. I'm cool with people critizing, it wouldn't be much of a message board if you didn't speak you're mind.

Image wise, they are obviously copying Evanescence's 'ideas', and they are certainly copying Evansecence style, unless you can think of any other group currently promoting the absolutely fabulous brand-spanking new genre; radio-friendly-goth-style-pop-rock who they are ripping off.

And I'm sorry, but you're fourth sentence is completely wrong. You may have just phrased it incorrectly, but you said that 'the fact they are determined not to be swayed by other peoples opinions makes them a good band.' So in other words, you think every single band in the world with the exception of the few pop-divas, boy bands and Limp Bizkit (all of which follow trends, panda to fans every wish and change their style totally every so often just to fit in with the crowd) are good? If so, you are either the most open-minded listener in the entire world, or you've got you're ideas messed up.

But back to the point, The Rasmus are pop music, and with a very, very few exceptions, pop music nowadays is dispicably bad. Sadly, The Rasmus are not one of those exceptions. If you like I'll give you a run down of exactly why they are so musically poor, but this post is far too long already.

Phoenix
Why do you assume they are copying Evanescence? They are similar, yes, but not identical.

Deathblow
I didn't say they were identical. Of course they're not identical, no two bands are identical. As you said, they are similar, and I assume they are copying Evanescence because it is painfully obvious that they are.

Phoenix
'Copying' is identical. 'Imitating' or 'influenced by' is similar. You have no proof that they are influenced by Evanescence. Evanescence started off as classical music, and still uses a piano heavily. The Rasmus has never ((to date)) used a piano as a main feature of their songs.

Deathblow
Nit-picking erm Fine. They may not use a piano, but I've already stated in my above post the ways they immitating Evanescence, and unless you are blind and deaf, those are facts.

Jeeze that sounded a little snappy, I'm sorry.

Phoenix
You don't give any proof, you merely say 'certainly' and 'painfully', the words of someone who is rapidly losing an argument.

I'm not dismissing your point of view, I'm just saying you don't have strength to your statement. It is your opinion and I respect that, but you don't have any proof to defend it.

Deathblow
Well if you do want proof,

http://www.showandtellonline.com/images_splash/evanescence.jpg

http://www.poster.net/rasmus-the/rasmus-the-band-5200105.jpg

Lets see:

-Black clothes = check
-Rough matted hairstyle = check
-Lead singer wearing face paleing make up = check
-World-weary expressions = check
-Big gothic band logo = check
-Sinister (but not too sinister) band name = check
-Sinister (but not too sinister) song titles (In The Shadows, My Last Breath)
-Dark, grainy videos with lots of wild gesticulating and leaning backwards while screeching = check

Now musically:

-Simple, tedious guitar riffs = check
-Chorus builds up and sounds promising, but then dies before it can get too heavy = check
-Little bass to speak of, lending it the old 'tin-can' effect = check
-Weak vocalist who can run through the notes fine but doesn't have the lungs for rock music = check
-Depressing enough to hook in teens but catchy enough to get radio-play = check
-Poor lyrics = check

Need I go on?

Phoenix
Lets see:

-Black clothes = check - true of all gothy bands
-Rough matted hairstyle = check - ditto
-Lead singer wearing face paleing make up = check - ditto
-World-weary expressions = check - ditto
-Big gothic band logo = check - ditto
-Sinister (but not too sinister) band name = check - ditto
-Sinister (but not too sinister) song titles (In The Shadows, My Last Breath) - ditto
-Dark, grainy videos with lots of wild gesticulating and leaning backwards while screeching = check - ditto

Now musically:

-Simple, tedious guitar riffs = check - in your opinion
-Chorus builds up and sounds promising, but then dies before it can get too heavy = check - ditto
-Little bass to speak of, lending it the old 'tin-can' effect = check - ditto, I personally think the bass is great
-Weak vocalist who can run through the notes fine but doesn't have the lungs for rock music = check - ditto
-Depressing enough to hook in teens but catchy enough to get radio-play = check - ditto
-Poor lyrics = check - ditto

Phoenix
Also, Rasmus formed in 1994, and Evanescence formed in the early 1990s, Rasmus in Finland and Evanescence in New Zealand - how could they have copied one another?

Deathblow
Evanescence sprang to prominence way before The Rasmus. Obviously after seeing the impact Evanescence had, The Rasmus decided to follow suit. I wouldn't be suprised if they took a lot of influence from HIM as well, as they are also from Finland.

lil bitchiness
I dont like them. ermm They do nothing for me, but its just me i guess.

I dont think I'll ever download thier song, let alone buy an album! no

furryman
I detest 'In The Shadows' erm

Phoenix
but their early music still has their style - therefore they have not copied Evanescence, as they started writing music befor Evanescence went worldwide

LordMortis
i personally dont like the rasmus but thats not to say they are a good band or not there just not my taste. Im more into the very heavy stuff and, in my opinion, nightwish are an excellent band! (mention to an earlier post).

~*Auror_Chk*~
i like them even tho ive only heard shadows..they are okay!!

Fearnix
i like Evanescence embarrasment but i ****ing hate the Rasmus they try so hard to be goth it is sad and pathetic

black_reaper
THE RASMUS ARE ONE OF THE BEST BANDS AROUND AND LAURI IS HOT AS WELL rock yes miffed Happy Dance mad

Punkyhermy
i don't like the rasmus!!!!
they are copying evanescence!
and that is annoying...
but than again... they sing total pop..
and evanescence sings pop-rock
but is the lead singer a guy or a girl??
trust the guy or the girl dresses just like amy... well sorta...
every one has noticed that this band is coying eva...

ChickinMeat
i absolutly hate the rasmus, they annoy me so, his voice is all whiney.

Placebo_fan
Well, that's your decision, but I like them. i think they have a good sound. In the shadows is a twisted, but beautiful song, and Lauri Ylonen (vocals) has a very sultry, individual vioce. NOT better than placebo tho! Placebo Rock my world of toruture and embezzlement. Thank you. happy

Placebo_fan
I am an open-minded listener. i like a lot of music. I dont stick to one genre. Why should the world be broken up into little pieces of genres of music, and religion. I don't like limp bizkit and pop divas tho. That much is true. All I meant was i dont like it when certain magazines finalise everything and fight over the newest bands, like saying "oh these are Pop, definitely!" and then another label comes over and says, "no, those are rock" Commence world war 3. I have a question to ask; Does anyone feel better when Bands are labeled a genre? I dont. It doesnt bother me. And (this is nothing personal, what I'm about to say) ALL YOU HATERS OUT THERE! JUST BECAUSE A PERSON LIKES ONE BAND FROM A GENRE, IT DOES NOT MEAN THE LIKE THE WHOLE F**KING GENRE!

therasmus_rulz
16 indigo i think That the CREEP that said the rasmus are CRAP shud SWIVEL i love them an if they want to say anything else bout them then email me!!!!!!!!
mad

Devalion
I like the Rasmus, I like the sound

*Georgina_A*
I haven't heard much of them, but from what I've heard I like.

Trickster
A lt of bands copy each other. Most of the genres of music are in fact just the groups of bands tat hear one band playing and 'copy' them. That is how genres are formed. So really, without copying there would only be a few bands in the world... And I'm sure Evanescene were influenced by other bands as well. No matter how they looked there would always be someone who said they were copying someone else(except if they do something really stupid or innovative)

h/hr fan4ever
I LUV THE rasmus they totally rock!

Fearnix
The Rasmus are one of the worsdt bands ever they suck dog dick.
(no offence to people who suck dog dicks)
the lead singer is the worst Robert Smith impresionist i have ever seen

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.