25 in the E.U. !

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

G.P
We're May, 1st. From now on, there will be 25 countries in the European Union. What's your feeling about it ?

PS: Please notice the effort made to simplify the question stick out tongue

Kaleanae
I'm still in April 30....

The EU is giving a great opportunity to those countries that have suffered economically from wars, Communism... etc.
And I hope that now they are members, they would keep up with such countries as Germany and France.

MC Mike
I think it's great that this Union has grown so much! IT comes to be seen if they pull these worn down countries out of the dust and back on track. big grin

finti
EU is a thing I think will crumble, some countries aint willing giving up their currency for one.
It is bound to end in havoc

Fire
well we should start forcing all laws and ideas onto all members, not I want to accept this but I don't want to accept that (the currency as best example) if a rule is based everyone should accept it if not they can bugger off.

personaly G.P I think it came a bit too soon, the EU still has to work out a lot of problems as it was they should have focused on that first

Dexx
how do i feel about it?...hmm..dgee.,.....i think i have a worm fuzzy feeling inside...how am i supposed to feel? smile

we're probably joining in 2007....if we do ok.
i don't see an end to this union too soon, as to what you said..

Luce
I think it's great, if things work out, we'll finally have a good, strong opponent for the US. The US will have to consider the EU, before just attacking countries like Iraq. Ofcourse, this will only work if the EU will be one, strong block, and this could take a while. It's important not to form a leading group though, and also countires such as France and Germany shouldn't be so dominant. All problems where still need to be worked, but I'm confident that in the end everything will turn out fine.
It's great for the new countries to join the EU, ofcourse esspecialy for the economy, but also the living cicurmstances will certainly improve..

yerssot
I don't live in the new EU countries, so I can't give their opinion... but with this ... I don't see it positively ...

those new countries... no euro, all new european politicians (making it too large to let it actually work), no Schengen, etc.
The EU is not about being social (as the first priority), it's about money and I'm not sure if their economy is that good. Sure, it went a lot better since the fall of communism, but imho it still didn't go well enough to include them already

if it was in, lets say, 2015, sure, than they had more time to organise and such, but now ... too early I guess

Raz Jr
to be honest, I couldnt care less erm

G.P
I didn't expect less from you Finti.

That seems quite normal to me...

Mujaffa
Europe is gonna end up like USA if this keeps going...

all the rich countries are gonne be poor!!!!!don't you see that...

NO TO EU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

G.P
On what are you basing your opinion Mujaffa ?

Vampiree
in EU or not.. big deal erm

§pearhead
Help the ignorant american bastard...what good does it do if you're in the EU or not, not counting the Euro? What are the other benefits?

Vampiree
uhm.. really? I don't have any idea... i think we can travel without passports.. and stuff... but really.. i don't care. It's just another oportunity for higher taxes and stuff.

Kes
Finantial help mostly. And hopefully prevent another WW.

lil bitchiness
Where are you from, Dexx?

eleveninches
Who can name all of the EU members from memory?

G.P
Me: Italy, Luxemburg, Germany; France, Belgium,the Netherlands, UK, Ireland, Denmark, Greece, Spain, Portugal, Austria, Sweden and Finland.

and now : Chyprus, Malta, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Slovenia and Hungary

This one was easy... roll eyes (sarcastic)

Vampiree
you had a cheat sheet big grin

poland.. heh.. i can't see why on earth.. ech...

G.P
At First it was an answer to economic and peace concerns : Build a power, a free-trade zone with common trade tariffs. Putting everyone's resources together could helped the whole thing work better (economically speaking). It also avoided another war to happen, by binding many European countries.

Now the EU is economically and financially prosperous, it is attractive to many countries, for which it is considered as a 'democracy Certificate' and as much helpful economically.

G.P
Ermn no I have to know them for my studies; If I didn't my history teacher would just kill me...

Vampiree
o.O poor thing.

Unicor777
Ain't this just great. United Europe ! GO EU!!!!!!! Europe will WIN!!!!

eleveninches
Who do you think will be next to join the EU??
Which countries are left?

G.P
Theoretically Romania and Bulgaria are likely to join the EU in 2007 (even if Bulgaria currently has problems that call the date of 2007 into question).

Plus nothing is really opposed to the fact that Turkey join the EU sooner or later. Talks might begin in the next few years.

PS: Can a mod do me the favour of correcting the title of this thread by adding an article... that's would look a bit more serious.

Kes
By adding what?

Well Turkey has the Cyprus problem to resolve messed But yeh, it will join (most likely)

yerssot
and other things kes

G.P
Kes => an article, "the", for I think the title is gammatically incorrect, but since no one never corrects me I'm not a 100% sure.

yerssot
hey, I'm more than willing to correct you... just ... grammar, spelling, and all the other mess never was my thing, certainly not when it's in another language

Kaleanae
25 in the EU

yerssot
judging by the title ... they knew no expression

Kes
Better?

G.P
Thanks a lot Kes big grin

finti
yeah with all the cultural diffrences and language barriers that would be a walk in the park roll eyes (sarcastic) 25 members in EU is 26 too many

Vampiree
At last, someone who understands me. EU will only cause more problems. I really can't see any sense in it.

G.P
Well it made sense...when there were a few countries. Now we'll see.

yerssot
just don't include turkey, ex-yugoslavia (oops, too late), russia, ...

Vampiree
you see the sickest thing in EU is that they have the impossible desire to make every country equal. As we all know e.g. Poland is poorer than e.g. France. When you make higher taxes, cuz they are like that in France, it will only cause more trouble, cuz Polish ppl have to pay more, but they don't earn more. The financial problems that were supposed to be solved are only bigger, for poorer countries. Like Czech republic, Hungary, Poland and lots of others.

Kes
Indeed. But it can also help. Financially and raising the minimum wage. Also preventing WW and battling US economy.
But like GP said, when they were just a few countries it made sense now, the poor countries get less help because there are a few more poor countries to help. Lets face it...this is only good for France, UK and Germany.

Vampiree
yes

crazy_c
all i know is i wasn't able to go into town yeterday because of most if it being closed because of it. miffed

yerssot
didn't matter much here, everything is closed on may 1th

eleveninches
Do you think they'll change the EU flag. The americans changed the number of stars on their flag every time it got new states in it, so do you think that the EU will do the same with it's flag.

What do you think the new flag will look like?

yerssot
if they do it (I doubt it) it will just be the one they have but with 25 stars ...creativity was never europe's best side

Clovie
poland in EU.

i live in the poorest region of united europe.
great. mad

yerssot
move

Clovie
i'm planing to as soon as i can.

yerssot
see, things are looking better already wink

Clovie
but now i can't!!!
and it really sux.... confused

yerssot
judging by your age... can't you just go as exchange student to another uni?

Clovie
i'm not ine the uni yet....

yerssot
next year than

(just saw the birthyear)

Clovie
yep.... if only i'll pass entrance exams... i'll goooo *dreams*

yerssot
you mean to enter uni? cause the program I know off with exchanging doesn't have any exams messed

Clovie
i poland they does!!! sadsadsadsad
and i'm gonna go to medical school
and there are some terrible and very stupid and hard tests

*goes offtopic*

yerssot
I wouldn't call it offtopic, it's about the educational system of poland, one of the new EU members, I think talking about the differences is an important aspect

well, if you study hard and pass, you can leave your country wink

Clovie
yeeees...laughing out loud
and my problem is that i;'m here and i'm not studying hard sad
i'm pathetic...

yerssot
there's thread for that in the OTF y'know laughing out loud

well, make yourself the ultimatum:
study hard or get stuck in the poorest region

G.P
They just won't. It had been decided in 1995 to keep the 12 star-flag - twelve being a symbol of unity (lol), and not the number of states (anyway there have been 15 countries for 9 years, remember ? ), etc...

yerssot
but they can always change that, no?

Clovie
really? i haven't seen it....

yes.
nice sollution
from tomorrow i'll limit the amount of time spending on here confused

yerssot
not on here, internet in general, and the time that comes available could go into studying

Clovie
i'm trying to learn..
but i'm just thinking about sth else..
and biology is soo boring...
and i'm getting into conclusion, that if i'm not learing anyway i can do sth pleasant stick out tongue

Kaleanae
Biology is not boring sad

yerssot
pleasant now, boring later (damn, sound like a parent now)

Clovie
after learning it through whole year almost all the time it becomes boring trust me

Kaleanae
CLovie, I was reading some of your posts and you say that you want to leave Poland, to which country do you want to go/

Clovie
parent would say otherwise....

eleveninches
come to England big grinbig grinbig grin

Clovie
i'm not sure
i was thinking about scandinavia..
denmark, norway..

but also maybe canada..

i'mnot sure..
adn the most probably fact is that i;ll stuck here 4ever

england?? do any1 want me i there? stick out tongue

yerssot
well, from what I hear norway is ace (want to go there myself too one day) and canada... depends where exactly you want to go to... but both times I've been there it was one of the best holidays I had smile

Kaleanae
Canada, sound great
I would like to go there myself

Clovie
you see i have good ideas, but i can;t make them work... confused

Kaleanae
I envy you wink You went to Norway, twice
Do you travel a lot/

yerssot
concentrate wink

Clovie
i was in norway too.
and i liked it happy

yerssot
erm, I ment it the other way around: canada twice

Clovie
i think he was to canada stick out tongue

Kaleanae
Ok, Canada big grin

yerssot
and still don't know their anthem wink

Luetchyboy
Did you know that European legislation takes priority over UK law

eleveninches
canada sounds nice. As long as you dont go anywhere too cold. Toronto sounds like a nice place.

yerssot
it is... at some points of course

here too

big gay kirk
I can't say what I think... I got told off last time... all I can say is bring back EFTA and (close your eyes, europhiles) we're not European....

yerssot
leave the country than

Clovie
come to poland
u'll see how it is to live in stupid country.

(i'm sorry i left yesterday)

Vampiree
Heyy... I kinda LIKE poland! mad It's not that bad, just poor...

Clovie
sorry but you do live in the west of poland.

Vampiree
what's the difference? What the f**k? It's not, like USA, Poland is a small country.

Clovie
come here and u'll see.

Vampiree
oh NO! I'll see...

what?

Clovie
dobra, nie chce mi sie tlumaczyc ci po ang.
ulice sa dziurawe
politycy sa zaklamani
rywina skazali na 2 lata co to ma byc?
dalej
wez sobie wyobraz ze ja za tydzien zdaje mature i ze nie mam pozniej totalnie zadnych perspektyw
bezrobocie ma ponad 20%
itd.

chcesz wiecej powodow?

Vampiree

Unicor777
Ne znam sto vie zboruvate ...
Poland is necer then Macedonia ... where I live , I'm also thinking to move

Clovie
gaca -> ja nie chce zeby go prezydentem zrobili cry

unicorn -> i dunno.... maybe ur right..... but i'm not offering moving here stick out tongue

Vampiree
lol... Nobody would like this, Clovie.. If they do.. we're all gonna end up as fcuking farmers...

Fire
I doubt that, tho I think your farmers will be happy with the EU in the long run

Clovie
have u seen lat polls.... confused
and there is even no contra-candidate...

Clovie
blink ok...

Fire
you know much bloody money they will get from the EU?

Fire
biggest portion of the EU budget is agriculture

Vampiree
well... actually we will get SOME money but i doubt that it's gonna manage to repair the HOLE IN OUR BUDGET.

Trust me, Fire.. if you knew that guy you'd be as terrified as me and Clovie. Tell him, Clovz...

Clovie
but ppl have no idea how to ask for money, so they won't get it confused

there is one guy.. and there is possibility that he'll boceome a president.
and he is so stupid and he knows really nothing
i'mnot even sure if he finneshed any highschool..
anyway.. it'll be a nighmare

Fire
lol

they don't have to ask for money, they will get it in anywayz, and ofcourse the EU will not fix your budget problems, we're not a charity organisation but we do look like it lately. and after taking a look at the budget of the EU you will notice that poland, atleast the farmers, will (within a few years, cause you guys dont get as much as we get right away) get A LOT of money not just SOME

Clovie
ok.. and when i'm not farmer i won't get any money...
and right now i'm living in the poorest region of europe.. it's pathetic.

Fire
well your countries will get aid in other ways, but it won't be as huge as the agriculture

Clovie
and politicians will steal all the money.... yes confused

Fire
well that's not the EU's fault

Clovie
i'm not saying it is.
i'm saying that nothing will help us.

btw... you seem to be very close to EU... confused

(i gotta go. bye)

Fire
I'm greatly for it yes, and politics has always interested me, might be better of studying politics instead of history

Unicor777
well EU is not just getiing staff u also gota give, like 70% of ur national VAT! and fire , without "this farmer countries" there will not be united Europe, with Russia and Turkey the circle will be closed

Fire
I never said anything about the farmer countries not being included ofc they should be included like they are now just not yet IMO (EU still has too much things to work out before accepting 10 new members but hey it aint up to me)

I don't think Russia will ever join, Turkey well they might but I think as it now stands they will let turkey know wether or not they can join in 2007(?) could be a bit earlier or later and I think they're not gonna do it there gonna pull out that special-status-rabbit again. Maybe it gets through the commission this time

lil bitchiness
I totally understood bits of that!!

good is the same as in my language, so are streets eek! The others look like Russian, and some more like my language, so i kinda uderstood all that!! raver

Fire
wooptidoo I found it

The Common Agricultural Policy is the largest budget item, accounting for approximately 45 % of the total budget

from http://www.riksdagen.se/english/eu/eufacts/budget.asp

Fire
now I only need to find out how big the percentage of ppl working in the agriculture is in poland and if possible getting a ranking of that within the EU

ElectricBugaloo
just wait til Russia goes communist again

Fire
that'd be cool

Kes
The difference from the way it is now will be?

Unicor777
Another polarization of the world! weapon's compettition (russians have the brain)! Tensions in asia, and most likely final solution oto middle east issue, because it is just about time some one to put a stop to the US imperialistic foreign politics (nothing against the Americans or America-In fact I like the states most of any country)!

There are activitists, analytist, researches who think that EU will represent balance in the world's domination, even India is about to get a permanent seat in the security council, this is endorsed by EU, why u think is so?

Unicor777
... and "Fire ". one doesn't need to study politics, cause is the same princips repeating in a row, u just need to keep ur self updated.

Clovie
where r u from milla? blink

Clovie
i dunno but i think that about 40% maybe 50 or even more...... confused

yerssot
refering to Polybius?

Fire
Sorry Unicor I do think that studying politics at the university is a great help to understanding the complex world of both international and domestic politics

yerssot
you forgot to mention Fire, that it's partly more complex in Belgium due to the four governments we have

(heeft de franse gemeenschap der ook zelf nog een of valt da nu ook same me walonie?)

Fire
well yerss to be totaly honnest we have 7 governments

the belgian government
the flemish government
the wallon government
the brussels government
the flemish community
the french community
the german community

to be totaly correct the flemish government and the flemish community have been united.

Clovie
we have one govement and it is enough....

Unicor777
Ok Fire , I think politics is just a tool to achive ur goals, or common goals and objective, to be a good politician u need to understand the needs and the capabilities, and the rosources of ur country, and the most importat to have a vision where u wanna drive them , and why!

Fire
then we disagree on what politics is

yerssot
damn forgot brussels and french messed

Fire
ok that's an EASY question on your law exam for next month

Fire
Clovie you should also note that they all have their ministers and members of parliament who all get a big fat paycheck

Clovie
and how much r the taxes?

Fire
in belgium, it depends on your income, the more you have the more you pay, varying from 35 to close to 50 percent

Clovie
same here... sad

Unicor777
for me politics is similar to management. Tell me what u think politics is about? except moderm form of ruling that has replaced the old ones!

Fire
well Clovie I don't mind the taxes, what they do with my money (or most of it, are things I or a lot of other ppl benefit from)

Unicor for me politics is everything that has to do with the way ppl live together and making sure the less fortunate in society aren't forgotten, it's hard to explain in english, but politics affects me from the moment I leave my house, it even affects me within my own house.

Clovie
and here the taxes goes no1 knows where coz you have to pay for everything extra anyway..
and we have some taxes paying 3 times
for example the driving tax..
it's in petrol, and in sth else, and they wanted to make viniettas as well.
it's sick.

Fire
well in belgium we have to pay VTA and some extra taxes on petrol, if you use LPG (or what ever the english term is) you have to pay a lot less taxes and ofcourse a lot less already. (to make more ppl buy it)
you have to pay VTA on your car, you have to pay taxes for owning a car and probably one more as well

Clovie in belgium ppl also dont always know the reason, but the government is FINALY getting it and trying to explain it to the public

Clovie
and problem in here is that the govement is mailny stealling public money and they don't explain anything.

and for example they mada a change yesterday..
and we have from today new prime minster..

i hate them... mad

Fire
well in belgium that could happen too, tho it wouldn't happen in one night

Clovie
of coz it didn't happened in one night.but still it's annoying..

Fire
well you install your political parties that gives them the right to do these things, not the prime minister but about every other post in our federal government gets changed around a lot

Clovie
i haven't voted for them, coz i was too young that time... mad

and ppl here seems to be blind... they're always voting for wrong parties... confused

Unicor777
IT will get matured soon, u will see, it is a process, as the time will pass ppl will start relaizing the power of their vote.

Clovie
i hope so...

yerssot
Fire, I hadn't studied yet wink

Fire
same here yerss, I just know that from class (three years ago)

anywayz Clovie I know how you feel the liberals are the biggest party in belgium Yikes

Corlindel
Welcome!

Ok. Europe will help new members development, and that development will depend of the way the newbies apply economical and social aid. Dont worry for now, you will receive economical aid for at least 15 years before stops but until there you must develop yourselves, and the the $ aid will not stop completely .And there are some handicaps. Remember that part of yours sovereigns will be lost bcs the european law has a supranational nature. After a primary aid to the new members, they shall submit their own objectives to the common european ones. In all ways, economics, industry, agriculture, etc. Ofc this is not happening with most of the current members - before May 1. There are always some countries, with more power of decision than anothers, who subvert the spirit of EU managing with their votes on European Conseil the aplication of the Comission directives, wich are the basic and principal rules that members governments shall apply in their own countries.
Ofc, Portugal has a politicaly corrupted government and corrupted local admnistration too. As the most of all, got his money and didnt apllied a lot of directives. Well...I cant see where is been applied a big slice of the money we got. I hope you - new members - have more luck with your governments than me with mine.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>