How? Its magic

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Smodden
what do you think of magic in M:E

well you have talking swords....enchanted trees and forests....fireworks and pinecones....ect...

How do you come to hold magic....? who gives it to you in M:E..?

or are you just born with it?....do you learn it?...please i'm talking about LOTR not HP...so please leave HP out of this discussion...smile

what exactly is it.....? is it a spiritual thing?...its very mysterius...and hard to describe and understand...but i was just wondering about it....

*waits for replys*

shadowy_blue
Magic...is just....magic..stick out tongue

*sorry..I can't think seriously right now..like I told you, I'm losing my mind..I have to find it first* stick out tongue

Smodden
who are you!

Where's s-b!!!what have you done to her!! i'll get you for this!!!

Give her back you imposter...i will hunt you down, even if it takes me my life....i will search every alley every cave hole and house till i find you...and when i do i'll make you pay!...
you will be hopeless and unhappy as you see what ur actions have caused....you will feel my hatred toward you seeth with the everlasting fires of hell itself...and you will beg for death untill you won't even be able to tell if your dead or not....
who are you?

shadowy_blue
shifty

Am I supposed to be afraid of you? devil

bwahahahahahaha!!! evil face laughing out loud

*cough*

Smodden
YES be afraid...

do you have one arm?....n/m

so why s-b....why pick on her....?....what has she done!!>??

Take me instead!....my life in exchange for hers....!!!UR a mad man....(are you a man?)

*waits on corner for imposter to make exchange*....

Smodden
*inside my head:*:
what could be taking so long?....knowing s-b she probably is conductiong some sort of plan...a plan to escape...last time i talked to her she lost her mind...what if he took it...omg...this is worse then i thought...without her brain she's lost her knowledge...her seriousness...how can she funtion...oh god must hurry ....poor s-b...it tears my heart to think what that guy is doing....

shadowy_blue
*real s_b comes back with the old mind of her own*

*poof!*

*eherm*

Seriously...

We must realize that Tolkien's terms for the Istari do not make them the same as those who share their names outside of his works. The Wizards weren't great sorcerers that spent their time learning magic all of the time, just as his Elves, Orcs, etc. are unique. Gandalf did display a number of "magic spells" if you want to call it that, But it's not the traditional magic you've learned to associate with the word 'wizard' - he blocked the entry of the Witch-King at Minas Tirith, he turned away the Nazgul in Siege of Gondor, and did different things in aid of Bilbo and Thorin's party - saved them from from Bolg's goblins under the Misty Mountains, saved them from the Wolves on the east side of the Misty Mountains, appeared in between Thranduil's elves, the Men of Dale, and the Dwarves to stop them just before the orcs and wargs arrived, etc.

The thing I like about the magic of Middle Earth is that it is so subtle, not explained in terms of the will made instantly manifest, but of the working of an art with the backing of wisdom. The magic of the Elves especially, strikes me more as Art or Nature than what most think of as "magic." This brings the idea of a "spell" out of the realm of the mechanical D&D sense into the sphere of the sublime. The very fact that you can't often catch Gandalf at his "magic" is a testament to the fact that he is not out of place, not working against the natural flow (as a more obvious magic user would). He is a pure tool of the Good, a steward, as he calls himself.

big grin

Smodden
Magic is Magic...it dosn't take long to explain....

i think maybee its an artform...like a skill only the wise have

shadowy_blue
I'm back! big grin

Smodden
oh good i knew you'd find ur mind...*i had it all along...big grin*

don't wory i won't take it again...lol

shadowy_blue
cheeky Smodden..shifty

Smodden
but of course...

shadowy_blue
Ok, here's what we got from Tolkien.

Two types (or main modes of uses) of magic mentioned;
Dominance and Preservation (or slowing of decay)

I'll speculate real quick like:

Ok, down the road of speculation that goes on and on we go (shall we stop and smell some flowers?)

Some Sauronic use of Preservation type magic:
- Foundations of Barad-dur, Near indestructibility of One Ring, (Possible use on Orcs of Mordor considering Gorbag's mentioning of the Great Siege), probably some of the partially inserted essence of Sauron in the One Ring itself since Gollum, Bilbo and Frodo are described variously as well-preserved, stretched thin, and unchanged. Sauron doesn't seem to use this magic too much, but these examples (and ones below) are like just like quick ones.

Some Sauronic use of Dominate type magic:
- The One Ring controlling the other Rings, command of troops from afar, Saruman's capture through the Palantir (possible) and probably more than I care to think of at the moment.

Some Gandalfian use of Preservation type magic:
- Himself from aging normally while in mannish form as one. Can't really think of Gandalf using this one much.

Some Gandalfian use of Dominate type magic:
- Fire from nowhere, Fireworks, Word of Command, Words of Opening and probably more.

Some examples of Elvish use of Preservation type magic:
- Lorien, Palantiri, Silmarilli and probably more.

Some examples of Elvish use of Dominate type magic:
- Mirror of Galadriel, Elvish blades that light up, Elven lamps and probably more.

Some examples of Mannish use of Preservation type magic:
- Orthanc, Stone of Erech, Dead Men of Dunharrow and probably more.

Some examples of Mannish use of Dominate type magic:
- Daggers of Westernesse, Silent watchers, Healing with Athelas and probably more.

Some examples of Ainur (Valar, Maiar) use of Preservation type magic
- Valinor, Extension of the lives of the Numenoreans, Sleep of Yavanna and probably more.

Some examples of Ainur (Valar, Maiar) use of Dominate type of magic:
- Command of the Shadowy Seas, Creation of the Dwarves, Chain Angainor and probably more.

sauron
heres the question i always annoy exa with

when in istar is doing his magic right? he is saying the words in elvish, its not like a spell that nobody knows it is 'smite the heads of the enemy'

so teorectically any elf could do magic stick out tongue

magic in the sil is best...with the talking swords and dragons and big scary thongs

Fëanor
well if i saw big scary thong...i guess i would be...afraid stick out tongue

Smodden
blink

shadowy_blue
LOL..laughing

*cough*

laughing out loud

Smodden
hmm...gandalfian...lol

Discos
mmm....the magic is quite on and off.....for instance Gandalfs magic in Moria to light his staff by blowing on it :/

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.