Diana

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

punkyhermy
I loved princess Diana.It was a shame her life ended so tragically.
I still rememeber the morning I turned on CNN and read the headline...

eleveninches
I thought it was so hypocritical that all of the newspapers hated her for leaving her husband for somebody else, and as soon as she died, they thought of her as some kind of a saint or something.

It was my birthday when she died, because I got up early in the morning to see if I had gotten any presents, and it was on the news that she had died just a few hours ago.

punkyhermy
it was a weekend i believe...as i slept late that day

Punkyhermy
rest in peace, princess of the people.

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2004/05/29/diana,1.jpg

http://www.dianathepeoplesprincess.com/testino/testino10.jpg

Quiero Mota
A lot of people make her out to be a deity, I don't know why.

.Dance_Inside.
I like her teeth
they're really unique yes

Da Pittman
She was a nice lady, but there are many nice ladies in this world.

Devil King
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
A lot of people make her out to be a deity, I don't know why.

I agree 100%. I could not give two shits about this woman.

She wandered around like a glorified soccer mom and the world acts like she cured cancer.

It may very well be tragic that she endured harassment and constant media attention, but if the very people who bemoan how tragic her life was and how terribly it ended, weren't the same people who went out and bought the very papers that made her life hell, I might have a better understanding of it

Perhaps some of our friends from across the pond can explain why anyone cares about British royalty? And more importantly, perhaps they can explain why I have to hear about her on US news outlets, for the next two months, just because she died ten years ago.

Hopefully, people don't really give two shits about "celebrities" like this and it's all the media telling us how much of a hard-on we have for this chick. (10 fu*king years later!)

Princess Diana and Mother Teresa croak at the same time, and ten years later I still have to see the pinhead wandering around with legless Africans and all you hear about Mother Teresa was that she wasn't really "into" the religion thing?

DARKLORDCAEDUS
Diana wasn't a phony as some royalty are. She was nice. She was very very kind. She was great for the world. Shame she's gone. R.I..P., You will be missed.

Punkyhermy
Originally posted by Devil King

She wandered around like a glorified soccer mom and the world acts like she cured cancer.

It may very well be tragic that she endured harassment and constant media attention, but if the very people who bemoan how tragic her life was and how terribly it ended, weren't the same people who went out and bought the very papers that made her life hell, I might have a better understanding of it

Perhaps some of our friends from across the pond can explain why anyone cares about British royalty? And more importantly, perhaps they can explain why I have to hear about her on US news outlets, for the next two months, just because she died ten years ago.

Hopefully, people don't really give two shits about "celebrities" like this and it's all the media telling us how much of a hard-on we have for this chick. (10 fu*king years later!)

Princess Diana and Mother Teresa croak at the same time, and ten years later I still have to see the pinhead wandering around with legless Africans and all you hear about Mother Teresa was that she wasn't really "into" the religion thing?

Since when did people have to conjure up a fancy list of worldly achievements to consider themselves worthy of love and empathy. Lady Di didn't built a rocket to Mars, but she didn't have to.

I hate the brit royals. Diana is the only exception because she wasn't just another distant glorified symbolic figure on the world stage. She exposed her all to the public. She was stuck in such an unfortunate situation that the public was ALL.she.had. And yess we DID know her because she herself made sure we did.

The loss of her was like a loss of a friend and a neighbour.

sad

Alpha Centauri
Devil King:

Nobody with sense gives a shit about the British Monarchy, as they're nothing more than an archaic relic that holds zero relevance and serves to do nothing more then rob people of their money. The most common argument is; "It's not a lot of money though.", so what? You pay my part if you think it's so cheap and such a good idea. If people want them around for some dumb reason, then let them pay.

Originally posted by Punkyhermy
Since when did people have to conjure up a fancy list of worldly achievements to consider themselves worthy of love and empathy. Lady Di didn't built a rocket to Mars, but she didn't have to.

I hate the brit royals. Diana is the only exception because she wasn't just another distant glorified symbolic figure on the world stage. She exposed her all to the public. She was stuck in such an unfortunate situation that the public was ALL.she.had. And yess we DID know her because she herself made sure we did.

The loss of her was like a loss of a friend and a neighbour.

sad

Turgid horsecrap.

"She didn't have to.", exactly. She didn't have to do anything, people would have loved her because the papers decided she was someone everyone had to love. She was absolutely nothing more than a glorified symbol, she lived a life of luxury paid for by everyone else, and then had the nerve to assume she had a "common touch" because she posed for cameras in third world countries.

You didn't know her, at all. You knew her as much as you know anybody you see on TV. You knew the Diana from TV. Unless you met her and spent time with her, you knew nothing of her.

If she were still around now, as one British journalist said, she'd be desperately attaching herself to whatever the latest issue is, probably global warming.

There was a headline today; "Best Mother in the World.", what the f*ck? Somehow she's a better mother than everyone else because she was famous and acted (Yes, acted) like one of "us"? It's crap, and so was she.

Why do we need another memorial? Mother Theresa didn't get a quarter of the coverage, and if you're gonna tell me Diana did anything close, then you're more of a blind, media driven sheep than you appear to be now. EDIT: I didn't even realise somehow had raised Mother Theresa in this thread either, it just goes to show.

I'm not sad she's gone, or glad she's gone, I couldn't give a crap that she's gone. She did absolutely nothing genuine, at all. To compare her loss to a friend dying would offend me to the highest degree if a friend of mine said that.

You're right, not everyone does need to have worldly achievements to be worthy of love and empathy, but they do need to earn the love and empathy. If you're giving it to her for nothing, at least admit that. Stop giving us the bs of "She was a woman of the people.", she wasn't. She was a leech. The people did more for her than she ever did for the people. The people kept her rich, she kept our papers full of turgid rubbish for years after her death. Nice exchange.

One man was almost beaten to death because he washed his car on the day Diana died, or an anniversary of the death. Lack of respect for Diana, you see (Sarcasm). It's just a case of deranged fools investing way too much in people they really don't know.

To quote the aforementioned reporter; "Surely the form is; you have the ceremony, you grieve, you move on. Why are we having another memorial? What's THIS one about? She's already had a pop concert dedicated to her this Summer. There was a candlelit vigil at Graceland for Elvis's 30th anniversary but at least he made some decent records. When Elvis died RCA said he'd made a great career move, and the same can be said for Diana. She was already approaching her Norma Desmond years when she died in the Alma tunnel. Had she lived, she'd probably be rattling around some dusty chateau surrounded by autographed pics of Duran Duran, bemoaning to her faithful butler that she was still big, the world just got small.".

Most of the people who are saddened by her loss are the people who rightfully didn't give a shit when she was alive, and were guilted into being sad. "Look! She did all this stuff and you don't care!", "Shiiit, better start caring.".

-AC

Punkyhermy
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri

Turgid horsecrap.

"She didn't have to.", exactly. She didn't have to do anything, people would have loved her because the papers decided she was someone everyone had to love. She was absolutely nothing more than a glorified symbol, she lived a life of luxury paid for by everyone else, and then had the nerve to assume she had a "common touch" because she posed for cameras in third world countries.

Come on people, why is it soo hard to talk about things you know?
roll eyes (sarcastic)

What in the world is your point?!

she was privileged and she acknowledged and lived that life to its fullest extent. Human suffering is universal, no amount of cash and privileges could have spared diana the repeated stabs at her heart that she experienced throughout her short life.erm

The papers never had anything good to say about her during her life, all they did was exploit her. The rest of the non-tabloid based information she personally made sure to be delivered to the public.

I know i know her a lot better than you do.

Did you even bother to read the conxext?!

It was Harry's comment about HIS mother. He bloody well has every right in the world to designate her whatever title he wishes.

Because its human nature. We care. We love. We empathize.

Maybe not ideally, but meh welcome to the world.
*shrugs*

HOW do you have ANY way of proving she wasn't genuine? One look at her and all i ever saw was a true and genuinely good but troubled person. Its not rocket science reading people. I don't need to know her personally to gauge the meaning of a gesture here, a morbid gaze there.

To quote the aforementioned reporter; "Surely the form is; you have the ceremony, you grieve, you move on. Why are we having another memorial? What's THIS one about? She's already had a pop concert dedicated to her this Summer. There was a candlelit vigil at Graceland for Elvis's 30th anniversary but at least he made some decent records. When Elvis died RCA said he'd made a great career move, and the same can be said for Diana. She was already approaching her Norma Desmond years when she died in the Alma tunnel. Had she lived, she'd probably be rattling around some dusty chateau surrounded by autographed pics of Duran Duran, bemoaning to her faithful butler that she was still big, the world just got small.".

Most of the people who are saddened by her loss are the people who rightfully didn't give a shit when she was alive, and were guilted into being sad. "Look! She did all this stuff and you don't care!", "Shiiit, better start caring.".

One man was almost beaten to death because he washed his car on the day Diana died, or an anniversary of the death. Lack of respect for Diana, you see (Sarcasm). It's just a case of deranged fools investing way too much in people they really don't know.
-AC

Explain what kinds of things make people worth loving and empathizing with.roll eyes (sarcastic)

You are so bitter and cynical all the ****ing time.ermMaybe let go of marginalizing people and concepts that don't fit into your boxed up view of everything?

*rubs face*

i can't argue on an empty stomach. but yesss do continue if you so fancy.

Alpha Centauri
Come on people, why is it soo hard to talk about things you know?
roll eyes (sarcastic)

What in the world is your point?!

That your point is faulty, you didn't know her and she did nothing to deserve the praise she gets. You got an argument to counter that? Present it.

she was privileged and she acknowledged and lived that life to its fullest extent. Human suffering is universal, no amount of cash and privileges could have spared diana the repeated stabs at her heart that she experienced throughout her short life.erm

How do you know? You don't have a clue, you knew her as well as I did. WHO paid for her life? The people. Society did more for her than she EVER did for them.

Don't give me that crap. Stabs at her heart? Oh, the Queen didn't like her, she had a bad relationship, the press bugged her. Big deal, that happens in every day life and WORSE. She was not more important because she was famous. If you have no argument to support your over-dramatic praise of this useless woman, admit it's for nothing, but don't sit there trying to conjure up words that the British press have used for ten years to no effect.

The papers never had anything good to say about her during her life, all they did was exploit her. The rest of the non-tabloid based information she personally made sure to be delivered to the public.

The tabloids gave you a story, she gave you another. Why do you automatically assume everything she said was entirely true, credible and without need to be questioned?

Are you American?

I know i know her a lot better than you do.

We've both met her zero times, we've both been exposed to the same news stories. You know her no better than anybody here, sorry if that upsets you, but it's true. You know her no better than you know anyone in the press.

You know what she wanted to tell you, that doesn't make it true. That's like people claiming Bush is a good man cos he says "nice stuff".

Did you even bother to read the conxext?!

Yeah, it's bullshit. What's your point? Nothing you've said so far as been a convincing argument in favour of the woman. It all amounts to "I like her.".

It was Harry's comment about HIS mother. He bloody well has every right in the world to designate her whatever title he wishes.

Did you bother to read that the Daily Mail said it also?

Because its human nature. We care. We love. We empathize.

Human nature is also stupidity, as proven in this case. You have zero reason to give her praise. I have a counter for every single accolade you can put upon her to show she doesn't deserve the praise, certainly not ten years worth of praise. There are undeniably more deserving people who get less praise.

HOW do you have ANY way of proving she wasn't genuine? One look at her and all i ever saw was a true and genuinely good but troubled person. Its not rocket science reading people. I don't need to know her personally to gauge the meaning of a gesture here, a morbid gaze there.

So you ultimately believe whatever you see on TV? If George Bush looked genuine, you'd just accept it without a second thought? Proof of my argument. You believe and empathise as you are told you, you adhere to what the media designates priority on.

Explain what kinds of things make people worth loving and empathizing with.roll eyes (sarcastic)

I don't truly love anybody I've never met, that's called logic. Respect and empathy? That would require acts that are noticeable and of subsequent visible benefit to the world. All she ever did, to our eyes, was stand around in front of cameras with African children.

Do you have any proof to the contrary? She did nothing, as far as we know. There are people doing far greater active work, with genuine results. Nothing she did yielded change, nothing she did changed the way things are in Africa, and you want to know the worst part?

She stands next to a starving African and the first/only thing you idiots notice is Diana, not the state of Africa, Diana. If she truly didn't care about posing for fame, she'd have gone without cameras, undercover, donating her money. She didn't.

You are so bitter and cynical all the ****ing time.ermMaybe let go of marginalizing people and concepts that don't fit into your boxed up view of everything?

Or maybe just stop letting the media tell you who is and who isn't important. Diana did nothing, and all you have to support your argument is an irrational love of this overblown celebrity. Am I wrong? Give me your argument.

i can't argue on an empty stomach. but yesss do continue if you so fancy.

You just can't argue this point at all.

-AC

BackFire
As Tom Leykis calls her- The worlds most famous Gold Digger.

Ushgarak
WHO paid for her life? The people.

Nope. Common misconception though.

It is all hysteria with Diana indeed though. And poor old Princess Anne, who has done much better charity work than Diana ever did but simply wasn't a visual stunner so wasn't deified for it. Speaks volumes, that.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by Devil King

I can understand the British idolizing her, the same way many Americans did for Jackie O. But I can't understand why people in every other country do.

Victor Von Doom
I can understand the British idolizing her, the same way many Americans did for Jackie O. But I can't understand why people in every other country do.

I find British hysteria just as puzzling.

Robtard

What exactly did Jackie O really do that merits that? Besides being the ex-wife of a popular assassinated president.

Victor Von Doom
Wore a pair of dark sunglasses?

Robtard
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Wore a pair of dark sunglasses?

If that's the standard of measure... Both Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder should have demigod status bestowed.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Robtard
If that's the standard of measure... Both Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder should have demigod status bestowed.

Think about it.

Robtard
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Think about it.

N-no?

Tempe Brennan
Bumping this, hope no one minds.

So we know there is an inquest going on, Paul Burrell has just testified, the filthy toad, and been torn apart on the stand.

What do you think the outcome will be? Accident or murder?

I'm a conspiracy theorist. I have always believe Diana was murdered by the Royal Family to prevent her marrying Dodi, a Muslim.
I hope the inquest returns a murder verdict, then heads will surely roll.

I remember first hearing about Diana's death - I was in my room, reading, when my sister entered and told me Diana was seriously ill after being in a car accident. I was shocked, and half an hour later, my sister returned with the news Diana had died.
It was all over the news - reports and documentaries made years earlier filled the screen.
News of her death didn't leave the front page for three weeks. Her funeral took up about 30 pages, and was broadcast live - all the networks turning it into a battle of ratings, as all networks were screening the funeral, from different angles.

It's hard to believe it's been more than ten years since she died. Sure, she may have had her problems, the Royal's certainly thought she was a nutcase, but the public loved her, and to them, when she died, they lost a best friend.

Australian reporters who travelled to England to report on the tragedy said, that when they stepped off the aeroplane, there was silence. No one said a word, no one was in the streets, the atmosphere was just - silent.
That's the impact her death had. To silence an entire country, you've got to be someone pretty special.

Impediment
In my opinion, Diana is popular in death the same way that Bill Hicks and Johnny Cash are. Nobody really idolized them or made them into deities until their deaths. It's "cool" to like Johnny Cash and Diana nowadays because of their "significant impact". The same exact can be said for Frank Sinatra, Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope, and most any other over-hyped figure of the last 50 years.

I can't wait until another U.S. ex-president dies or, say, another famous musician. They will instantly become another pop culture icon.

Alpha Centauri
Bill Hicks and Johnny Cash actually gave things to people that enhanced their lives, from their hearts, with genuine talent.

Diana stood around some African children pretending to help, saying it wasn't about her, when in reality she could have gone and given them a lot of money. Coincidentally enough, anything "good" she did was always filmed by British news cameras. She was "rejected" by the monarchy and every knee-jerking, The Sun reading idiot in this country embraced her because they thought she was now "One of us".

I'm glad she's gone, personally. Actually, no, I take that back. If she wasn't dead, I wouldn't be hearing about how she's dead and people wouldn't be talking about it 10 years on. I was 12 when she died, I think, 11 or 12. I dislike that I'm still hearing about it.

-AC

Impediment
I can agree to that.

By the way, that wasn't a cheap shot at Bill or Johnny. I love the both of them, seeing as how I've been listening to Cash for most of my life and I discovered Hicks' genius just before he died. Talented, indeed.

I just meant that Diana was more of a "poster image" rather than the real deal, if you ask me, and her death rocketed her already needlessly high image even higher.

Alpha Centauri
Oh, I didn't take it that way or anything, I was agreeing.

-AC

Impediment
Since you've already made clear your opinions of the British Monarchy, how will you feel when Queen Elizabeth dies?

Alpha Centauri
I don't care.

She keeps herself to herself a bit more, but I care not for the Monarchy. I don't even think there should be one, it's in no way a representation of what England is nowadays, it's archaic and needs to just be gone. The country wouldn't suffer for it.

The only people who seem to want it are the people who feel that this country represents their own personal identity, I do not, so I couldn't give a sh*t.

Queen Elizabeth; indifference on my part. I dread the press, I dread the hysteria.

-AC

Rogue Jedi
I dont see the big deal about Princess Di.

Lets say Raz and I are cruising down the freeway and BOOM an 18 wheeler hits us head on. We are both dead on impact. The only thing in the papers would be our obituaries.

But someone famous buys it, and the whole world has to mourn.

primavera11
Bill Hicks and Johnny Cash actually gave things to people that enhanced their lives, from their hearts, with genuine talent.

Diana stood around some African children pretending to help, saying it wasn't about her, when in reality she could have gone and given them a lot of money. Coincidentally enough, anything "good" she did was always filmed by British news cameras. She was "rejected" by the monarchy and every knee-jerking, The Sun reading idiot in this country embraced her because they thought she was now "One of us".

I'm glad she's gone, personally. Actually, no, I take that back. If she wasn't dead, I wouldn't be hearing about how she's dead and people wouldn't be talking about it 10 years on. I was 12 when she died, I think, 11 or 12. I dislike that I'm still hearing about it.

-AC

Well, I don't really agree with what you have said - she helped people and there are facts confirming it. She was a beautiful and strong woman. Some loved her, some hated but there was no one indifferent. That's it.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by primavera11
Well, I don't really agree with what you have said - she helped people and there are facts confirming it. She was a beautiful and strong woman. Some loved her, some hated but there was no one indifferent. That's it. people help people every day. The only reason she is still being mourned is because she was famous.

Ushgarak
Originally posted by Tempe Brennan

Australian reporters who travelled to England to report on the tragedy said, that when they stepped off the aeroplane, there was silence. No one said a word, no one was in the streets, the atmosphere was just - silent.
That's the impact her death had. To silence an entire country, you've got to be someone pretty special.

Maybe, if it was true.

But those reporters were simply lying. Nothing even remotely like that happened.

Tempe Brennan
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Maybe, if it was true.

But those reporters were simply lying. Nothing even remotely like that happened.

Well, this was not just one reporter - it was many. Perhaps there were certain parts of England more affected that others, shall we say?
I don't know. I assume you live in England, so I don't disbelieve you, but I nor do I disbelieve the people that travelled to England to report on the crash.

It's nice to think that people were affacted in such a way it silenced them, though. Diana must have been someone special indeed.

Ushgarak
Yes I live in England, yes, lots of reporters said that sort of thing, no, it was not true; it was sensationalist reporting that was very quickly debunked; I assure you there is not one tiny bit of truth in such words. If you do believe such journalism then more fool you (though judging by what you believe about conspiracy theories relating to her death you are pushing fairly well in that direction anyway); all it is doing is trying to conform to a romantic notion of how things are that reads well in papers bit is just so much horseshit- and the most dreadful stereotyping of the British people to believe, close to insulting.

I don't know anyone who was in any way greatly affected by Diana's death, nor do I know anyone who KNOWS anyone who was affected so. I DO know that all these myths about her having this following throughout the country have spread despite there not being any tiny bits of substance to them; as Ian Hislop (editor of Private Eye and hence a journalist with a huge amount of interest in Diana) commented, we were told that all kinds followed her like a cult, but look at the pictures of those at memorials and other events surrounding her death and what do you see? Mostly women, mostly white, mostly middle-age, mostly middle-class. The following, the odd fanatic exception aside, was actually very narrow.

Trust me, the average person couldn't give a toss for Diana who was a rich dilettante who used self-pity to get more of what she wanted and whilst claiming to be the one in touch of the people spent her time going around being photographed on yachts trying to seduce the rich and famous. That hardly makes her the devil as many rich people live like that- but there is nothing that made her a saint, and CERTAINLY nothing she has ever done more than any other Royal Princess did, excepy she was the looker so people tended to assume she was therefore the angel.

Tempe Brennan
I think people cared about her alot, and would have been devasted over her death, but I can agree with you about the media hyping things up about it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.