Dune Novels

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Predator 89
I was thinking what do you all think about the Classic or the new Dune books? Me personaly I think Dune is the best sci-fi can get especialy The most recent The machine Crusade.

MasterWizard
I've only read the original Dune, by Frank Herbert. I liked it.

Fëanor
I personally liked the original Dune series...

Although his son's series (waiting for the third installment) is good, it is somewhat tainted by his co-author Kevin Anderson...a good read, but not close to his father's visionary work...

Predator 89
I must concur with your point of view on the prequels of Brian Herbert although i disagree that Kevin is responsible for the lack of substance in the books. We as readers must understand that this was frank herberts life's work and no matter how skilled of a writter or how closely related the originals could never be duplicated in the same way. But still a good series on its own, and i eagerly await The Battle of Corrin that will be released in september in the United States.

Fëanor
i am afraid that i was and am a bit biased when it comes to BH's work...i just feel that Kevin is more of writer based on todays tastes when it comes to sci-fi literary works...more action oriented than drama and emotional impact...but then to compare would be unfair...i had such high hopes...i too am waiting for The Battle of Corrin...

Predator 89
You are correct on some of Kevin's work most of his books are rushed and action oriented with little regard for character development or drama, but i have been reading lately a new series started by Kevin Saga of the seven Suns perhaps you've heard of it. The book does dwell more on emotion and feeling and the premise is interesting. If you want more information on the Saga go to www.worldfire.com/seven.html

Fëanor
No...I actually haven't read his new series...since i've been blinded for the third anticipated installment of the prequel to Dune...thanks for the info and the link...

Predator 89
Who here has read the battle of Corrin i finished in 3 days and was very satisfied with the novel, and is better than any in the previous prequel trilogy.

Fëanor
i just read the last novel...while good, i was sort of disappointed.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.