Best war movie?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Commando
what war movie do you like the most? My pesonal favoite is commando!

sauron
A film called Trench

its about the hours leading up to the battle of the somme

it ends in them going over.....and all of them die

Myth
I voted for Full Metal Jacket but I like Braveheart most.

1. Braveheart
2. Last Samurai
3. Full Metal Jacket

roundisfunny
I voted for FMJ as well. As much as I liked "Braveheart", it didn't have Lee Ermey in it!

"Red Dawn" is another fave. So is "Dr. Strangelove", if you can count that as a war picture.

"Commando"? That's just about Arnold getting his daughter back from kidnappers.

Cinemaddiction
"Saving Private Ryan", but where is "We Were Soldiers"?

Crash Overload
Saving Private Ryan!

forumcrew
some of those i wouldnt really call war movies.. i think black hawk down is the best.. its really accurate and the action was great and they never tried to hide a stupid love story in it..

Evil Dead
my favorites weren't on the list...........

- Hamburger Hill
- Casualties of War

Dario Argento
I voted for Full Metal Jacket

Commando
i want it to put more titles but it only lets me do 10 in a poll! that sucks big nuts! mad

Punker69
Red Dawn is awesome I really love it.I liked it so much I rented itt twice smile.

glenn
Saving private Ryan definatley

cgtuna21
Here they are

1. Saving Private Ryan
2. Braveheart
3. Enemy at the Gates
4. Glory
5. Black Hawk Down

botankus
Then just ask the question without the poll.

I like Full Metal Jacket and a semi-war movie nobody's mentioned, The Deer Hunter.

WindDancer
I voted for FMJ. Other war favorites are:

The Great Escape
The Dirty Dozen
Kelly's Heroes

amity75
Gallipolli with Mel Gibson.

Mr Parker
Yeah I voted Full Metal Jacket also but my personal favorite is Flight Of the intruder.

forumcrew
i think war movie i was thinking about a specific real war.. not a half comedy half whatever crap movie

Rambo
One of my favorite war movies is a movie called RED DAWN. Its from the eighties but an awsome movie.

Linkalicious
OMG they are all so good how can you choose?!

I went with Top Gun because Maverick and Ice Man rule!

Commando
you guys got it all wrong! is about present war movies not lame movies like bravehart and glory! those movies they talk too much! Is about action war movies!

Punker69
Your not alone man that movie is awesome!

MarkHobin
Platoon
Apocolypse Now
Full Metal Jacket

WindDancer
What??? You didn't mention anything about present time war movies! You ask us which were our favorite "War movies"! Timeline has nothing to do with war films!

Also what do you mean Braveheart is lame? Just becasue "they talk too much"??? What do you expect them to do? Pick up the swords and fight like lunatics? Of course not! they need to plan, discuss, built, use strategies to fight! That's why they talk so much in the movie.

Curl_Up&Dye
What about Biloxi Blues? It's a semi-comedy...but a war movie nonetheless...and christopher walken is the man!!!

Jamief90
1.) Tigerland
2.) Tears of the Sun
3.) Black Hawk Down
4.) The Deer Hunter
5.) Casualties of War

ElectricBugaloo
Null:

The Green Berets

Commando
DUH!!!!!!!! you didnt look at the pol? they are all movies with guns not stupid swards! is very clear!!!!! unless some1 is so stupid not to understand! bravehart still sucks! is to long and boring!

Myth
What about Enemy at the Gates? That was a great movie about snipers.

Commando
havent seen it.

Kes
Calm down!

WindDancer
Really? this is what you wrote earlier:

You ask for our favorite war movies. We answer!

Back on topic? Another great movie that involves war is "Last of the Mohicans" pretty good battle scenes and the knife fight in was great! yes

big gay kirk
All Quiet on the Western Front... about the best war movie ever... and for those who like the action, Kelly's Heroes, Where Eagles Dare, and The Eagle Has Landed... in the air, you can't beat The Dambusters, and 633 Squadron... on sea, The Cruel Sea... oh yes, and who could forget Ice Cold in Alex....

roundisfunny
Something else I've been meaning to ask (in fact, I thought I HAD asked, but I just looked again through the thread and apparently I hadn't)...

Is that supposed to be "Platoon" or "Patton"? Both are war movies, after all.

Yomammy
No offense to the thread/poll creator, but why would you put in Top Gun, First Blood or Commando? None of these movies are "war" movies.

If you want to put in some other good war movies, you'd need to include quite a few others (and I'm sure I'll forget a bunch too):

The Dirty Dozen
Apocalypse Now
Bridge over the River Kwai
Braveheart
Patton
The Deer Hunter
Glory
Das Boot

JM2CW wink

Commando
CANT ***** YOU READ??????????? i said! movies with GUNS!!!!!!! i wrote that ealier!!!!! but now is about wars about the present!

Commando
is platoon! not patton.

Commando
top gun first blood and Commando R moives about war!!!!!!!!!!

Kes
Calm down dude.

Linkalicious
momma Kes laying it down!

Commando wasn't a "war" movie...
It was a movie about mercenaries kidnapping Arnold's daughter. The only time the military was involved was at the end when they tried to come help Arnold, but he already decimated the island. Just because it's an action movie doesn't make it a war movie...

Alias Neo
black hawk down
saving private ryan

another i like-
We Were Soldiers

forumcrew
tigerland is good, but theres no war in the movie its a boot camp movie

norrin radd
i vote for full metal jacket, stanley kubrick is one of the best directors of all time, but you are forgetting Apocalypse Now from Coppola, that is a great movie to, and platoon, deer hunter, its a hard choice.
and if we are counting with the great epics, of course braveheart is there

BarmyBrummie
Saving Private Ryan yes

Thomas H
without doubt Black Hawk down, the most reakistic war movie ever!!

Fan of LOTR
THE LORD OF THE RINGS THE RETURN OF THE KING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yomammy
Um.. no they aren't.

Link already addressed Commando so I won't rehash it. Look above for Link's comment.

Top Gun is a movie about a hot shot pilot who's off to flying school for the 'elite' in the Navy. It's a more of a drama/romance than it is about anything else. Included in that would be Cruise's character's "self discovery" which is brought on by a fatal accident. Aside from the last 8 minutes of the movie, there is nothing at all concerning a war or anything involving any war.

First Blood is a movie about an unstable Vietnam Vet after he's returned 'home'. Absolutely no war going on here either.

Now, don't take it personally. Just because I pointed out that these aren't war movies doesn't mean that they aren't good movies. I'm not commenting at all on the quality of the films, just the content and none have "war" content to them. Sorry.

Thomas H
my question here will be, do you mean Patton or Platoon??

Mrs Brosnan
Schindlers list. it is an amazing film for the time it was made (1993) it is brilliant

bakerboy
In my opinion its apocalypse now, with paths of glory and platoon in a close second. And your opinions?

eleveninches
Apocolypse Now, and Platoon are good.
Why is Zulu not on the list??
Lawrence of Arabia is Basically a war movie.
I think you only really included modern wars.
From the list above, by far the most underrated movie was casualties of war, so I have to vote for that one. It's so awful what they did to the girl, and it's still amazing to think that the americans supportrd this war, even though what they did in Vietnaam was no better than what the nazi's did in WW2.
BTW, America never actually admitted defeat in Vietnaam. they only called it a 'tactical withdrawal', so technically, the war never officially ended.

forumcrew
are we really doing this again? this was just at the top of the list maybe 3 weeks ago!

big gay kirk
ZULU! ZULU! ZULU! ZULU!

lederuvdapac
I think Patton is the best war movie ever (its not up there). Followed closely by Platoon.

<<Solo>>
Platoon is easily the best war movie ever.

MythBlazer
platoon

Mr Parker
Of the ones listed,mine is Patton.Platoon is right up there though.Another one that should be listed is FULL METAL JACKET.My personal favorite is Flight of the Intruder.A very under rated but very good war movie.

Dario Argento
Full Metal Jacket

Myth
FULL METAL JACKET! How can that not be on the list?

§pearhead
Blackhawk Down? erm

eleveninches
Would Braveheart count as a war movie??

dean7879
braveheart is historically inaccurate and so is the patriot...what is it that mel gibson has got against the english in so that he makes films portraying the english has evil bastards??? the patriot shows the english locking women and children in a church and setting it on fire killin them all...did u know the germans did that in WW2...so when people watch the history channel and see that it actually happened, they will say 'OH WELL.EVEN THE BRITISH DID THAT IN THE WAR WITH AMERICA.
not many people are educated when comes to historical events so when people watch movies like patriot they will think it is true.....i think it is wrong to make films like this.
Zulu is the best war film IMO

Creechuur
Its not up there, and its not a movie, but Band of Brothers is the absolute best war drama ever made. Compared to the book it takes some liberties, but its still the best portrayal of war I've ever seen.

Dean, I have read up on history a bit. You have to admit that England was not very nice to the Scots or the American Settlers. No biggie, its just the way it is. I would defend my country too, so I certainly don't blame you for doing so. While England and the US do hold the high moral ground in comparison to other countries, both have made their mistakes.

If it makes you feel any better, apparently the jews hate Mel Gibson now too.

eleveninches
Are you kidding me?
Most of the best war films are about vietnaam. How can the US take the moral highground for that???

BackFire
Paths of Glory is one of the finest films ever made.

Red Superfly
Anybody ever seen Memphis Belle? Famous WW2 gunship, final mission etc etc???? I'd choose that.

eleveninches
One of the better war movies was Dr Strangelove. I know it's a comedy, but it's such a great film, and it really makes fun of the US foreign policy.
Btw, did anybody see dambusters (based on a real life story)

xmen fan
i don't know if it's really a war movie but totally Van Helsing!!!!!!!IT ROCKED! rock

eleveninches
Well, I think its more of a movie with battle scenes than a war movie

Curl_Up&Dye
why the hell does that guy keep flipping out about the war movies people like. he posted a vague poll, so i dont know why he is suprised at the wide range of answers. War movies do not necessarily have to have guns in them.

eleveninches
My favourates:
Braveheart
Casualties of War
Platoon
Enemy at the gates
Dr Strangelove (I know its a comedy, but its a great movie)

Creechuur
Like I said Eleven, we've made our mistakes.

I don't agree that the best was films are based on Vietnam. Maybe as an American I am biased, but I guess I'd rather be reminded of a war where the allies fought for what was right and good than the convuluted mess that was Vietnam.

Besides, I don't think a realistic Vietnam war movie has been made. Theres too much emphasis on drugs, rock and roll and raping and killing innocent villagers. I think that stuff was blown way out of proportion. I'm not saying it didn't happen, but I think there are those out there who would like you to believe it happened a lot more than it did. To highlight what a few losers did in Vietnam is an insult to all the brave men and women who serve in the armed forces and try to do whats right.

Sounds a lot like the current Iraqi prisoner scandal, but I'm not goin there as politics aren't allowed and I'm close to being banned already, hehe.

samhain
The Great Escape,
Escape to Victory,
LOTR trilogy,
Star Wars trilogy,
Hamburger Hill,
Full Metal Jacket.

thorC
Saving Private Ryan
Black Hawk Down
Two Thumbs up with difference even, difference location, difference idea, but the best sound recording.

cgtuna21
Saving Private Ryan is the best but come very close would be Braveheart, Glory-which no 1 really has even said, Enemy at the Gates, Black Hawk Down, and Schindler's List

quiball
Not a big fan of war movies, but from what i've seen, probably Last Samurai, Gallipoli, and Black Hawk Down

WindDancer
I shoulda mention Lawrence of Arabia in my choices. Is also a very good war movie. Historic acuratly I don't know, but still Peter O' Toole has a strong performance in this movie. thumb up

Red Superfly
Nobody gonna suggest Pearl Harbour?

laughing

Drifter101
well wait what type of war movies are u speaking off, like all era of warfare, then i would have picked some other films w/ war, like braveheart, it was partially a war flick, Glory civil war flick, you know they havnt done a flick on the war of 1812

Curl_Up&Dye
casualties of war

with michael j foxx
sean penn
john leguizamo

WindDancer
Yes they did! It was based on Tolstoy's War and Peace. Which that's the name of the movie, War and Peace. Is really old, but is very good.

Drifter101
then i gotta check it out

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.