Jules Vern books?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

vagaryatwill
What "worth reading" books are out there by Jules Vern? I'm hearing a lot about him with Around the World in 80 Days coming out in theatres this summer and I've just never read anything by him. What other good books has he written?

big gay kirk
Try "Journey to the Centre of the Earth," "20,000 leagues under the sea, " "Master of the World," "Off on a comet..." all good ones... he was a master of science fiction...

vagaryatwill
Yeah, I will. thanks. I think I knew he did 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. And yes, ok, Journey to the Centre of the Earth sounds familar. Did you read Around the World in 80 Days? This isn't the only Jules Vern book turned movie is it? 20,000 was a movie as well, right?

MasterWizard
Aye, it was.

big gay kirk
So was Master of the World... and "Animated Classics " did 20,000, Master, Off on a Comet, From the Earth to the Moon, Journey to the Centre of the earth, and a couple of others... you might also want to have a look at HG Wells, especially War of the Worlds, The Invisible man, The Island of Dr Moreau, Food of the Gods, etc.. Verne and Wells were writing at roughly the same time, and its interesting to examine the differences and similarities in French and English science fiction at the time....

HockeyHorror
i read ALMOST all his books. he's a genius. but his writing style i never liked. but a great author indeed. my favorite would have to be Around The World In 80 Days and 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea....nevermind they were all great. laughing out loud

shaber
Journey to the centre of the Earth was completely ludicrous! What exactly was he foisting on us? messed

vagaryatwill
What do you mean exactly with his writing style? I'm not contesting your statement, I just don't know because I haven't read any of his stuff. I was just looking up some info on the movie 20,000 Leagues and I guess the one that is most famous is the 1954 film with Kirk Douglas. Looks as if there were several versions made. Is that right? There were no other films made for Around the World in 80 Days, were there?

big gay kirk
Theres been at least five versions of Around the world, if you count the present one and the Animated Classic, most famous of which (correct me if I'm wrong) was the Rex Harrison one in the sixties... there was a B+W one made inthe thirties, and I believe a silent one in the early 20th... there was also a mini-series...

vagaryatwill
Did you see any of these? I didn't, but I'm looking forward to the 2004 version. I can't wait for some of the cameos and I'm looking forward to seeing Steve Coogan perform. I haven't really seen him in anything. I did hear the other day that he makes an appearance in Coffee and Cigarettes, which comes out sometime soon. Anyway, with all the gadgets and stuff in 80 Days, I think it's going to be a lot of fun.

BoyScoutKevin
Jules Verne is still my favorite French author. Usually, when I sit down and try to read something by a French author, even when it is translated into English, I find I can never finish what I start. Jules Verne is the exception. I have read his "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea," "Around the World in 80 Days," "Mysterious Island, and part of his "Journey to the Center of the Earth," but my favorite book of his, is one of his lesser known works "Michael Strogoff," which I have read several times.

Most of his books have been made into films, some of them are quite good, even if most of them have little or nothing to do with the book itself. Some of them just taking the title of the book.

And as a Jackie Chan fan, I am interested in seeing him in "Around the World in 80 Days."

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.