FAQ-Thread

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Exa
This is quite a primitive thread and similar to some other question-threads on this forum, but still different from them; in other forums it worked quite well, especially when the other threads were infected by the virus of randomness and boredom

One person asks a question, the next poster answers it as well as possible (ie exactly, correctly and with necessary related information) and also adds a next question.
The questions shouldnt be too specifical (like "In which year was the 14th Ruling Steward born"wink but rather general and helpful to understand better how Middleearth "works" (for example "Where did the Dwarves come from", "What's Earendil's role in Middleearth", "Why do the stewards rule Gondor"wink.

The whole thing only works properly though when there are no random commentaries ("haha", "stupid thread", "hello" ar.) between the questions and answers... and if there are people to answer ^^

This should most of all be help for newbies (who are maybe too lazy to use the search function), so please basic questions (and probably nothing you actually want to know but instead what you want others to know)

First question -

Is there a god or religion in Middle-earth?

A.D. Skinner
Exa - As I do understand your point to this thread...I do not see the revelance of this thread...

There are many question and answer threads ( Namely one named 'Ask Exa' )
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f34/t26303.html

In addition, your question is in direct violation of one of the Forum rules.

No Religion & Politics
We do not allow the discussion of religion and politics. Discussion on these topics, from past experience, almost always ends in bad blood between members. For this reason it has been decided that a movie forum is not the best place for talk on these subjects.

I am sorry for making this a 'random commentary' as you so put it, but I think this Forum has had enough pointless threads....Don't you ?

Exa
... it isn't a direct violation because my question is neither a discussion nor about any existing religion - the Valar are an important element of Middle-earth's mythology, it would be nonsense to ignore them only because they're gods... they're as well part of Tolkien's fiction as all the rest we're talking about.

There are indeed several question threads, but past experience has shown that these threads have always become unsurveyable and the same questions were asked again and again. I do not know if that works in KMC, but in other forums a thread like this has really helped to reduce the number of annoying duplicate-questionings.

Yet if it is regarded as pointless, then some moderator shall come and close it.

sauron
it meant world politics or world religion

as if i were to insult a certain religion or government it could cause alot of arguments
but if i insult iluvatar, or noldo, im not gonna be flamed by anybody am i smile

as long as its fictional

A.D. Skinner
There is a lot of ways that this thread could go...

...I would suggest that another question be asked....and quickly !!!

Exa

Nienna
Sorry Exa for disturbing the peace of this thread once again...but I have to say this.

This does not go agaist KMC rules. It is like the Last Letter Game, only the Last Question Game.

As to the question, I don't know where Dwarves came from...messed

sauron
origin of the dwarces

quick answer- the valar went to earth-arda-ea and basically decorated the place like on changing rooms, only manwe was carol vordemon cause he was the bitchy one, and melkor was like the neighbor who doesnt like what they did to the house so he went off in a huff
then iluvatar realised that he was only in the first ten lines of the book so decided he needed to do something to get his name wrote in starry writing- although he is god so he could just re-arange the stars...but apparently he was too lazy to do that
so he said he was gonna have some kids.....but ya know there arent many almighty and all powerful women about, so he had to look, put out a lonely hearts ad, and nobody answered because 'creator of all' is kinda intimidating and a turn off- so the valar were like 'whens he gonna have these children like' and melkor was running around enjoying it all, breaking things and being a nuisance, so aule who was a smith-and kinda looked after sauron for a while- decided, if iluvatar is such an unsexy guy then aule was gonna have to create some kids, but for us people who have seen the matrix we know that when you create things it doesnt go well, and iluvatar did this whole trick where he made aule think he was mad at him, but actually gave the dwarves free-will no not free-willy thats a different film, so anyway aule made the dwarves hardy and stronmg to resist melkors seductive techniques

this is how they were able to resist the temptation of the seven rings...which brings me to the question one of you must answer!

who created the seven rings, and were there any more, and was there a whole trilogy of books that are actually six books in three big books written about it?

Aurora
Wah??? confused

Nienna
Weren't they made my Noldorian craftsmen? confused (Exa, please correct me)

And as for the second part...err...sorta...The Lord of the Rings was about either the One Ring, Sauron, or all of the Rings, so I say sorta.

Why did Feanor and his sons swear the oath (about the Silmarils)?

Smodden
feanor swore an oath because he was so outraged by that they were stolen...??? or maybee it was because everybody wanted them...and he thought:" this is the only thing i have left....besides my sons...i have been banished...and now i'm living in a house far away...."
Morgoth comes up and askes for them...and he refuses...
He is then asked by somebody...( i forgot who...please excuse me...i can't remember anthing right now)...to surender the silmarils...and he rejects that too...moments later he finds out they were stolen...so he missed a chance at looking good...i forgot exactly when he swore the oath...but it must have been sometime after they were stolen...an oath that has caused much grief and misery for many a year...So he was angered...distressed and mad that his most prized possesion was stolen...so he swore an oath and dedicated his life to the finding of them...

*RIP Feanor*

oh exa.....great topic btw....and thanx for ur efforts to revitalize the forum...

Where did the metal from turin's sword come from...(the talking one)

Agent Elrond
Ignore this post.

Exa
The talking sword, Gurthang (earlier Anglachel), was earlier Beleg's sword who had got it from Thingol; Eol payed it to him for the permission to live near Thingol's woods in Nan Elmoth. He had forged it together with its twin-sword Anguirel with iron from a meteor, so the metal didn't come from Arda itself.

Why do the Stewards rule Gondor?

Exa
... dont delete it... sad

about the rings - Celebrimbor had part in the forging of all rings except for the One which was only made by sauron... but Sauron had taught Celebrimbor and also supported him with the other rings except for the elven ones

Agent Elrond
Earnur, the last king was killed by the Eich King in Minas Morgol and had no son to take over, so rule went to the stewards.

Why does the prohecy of the north explain why the Noldor are almost killed off in Middle Earth?

Agent Elrond
Sorry about that, I was replying to a post, but was too slow and I couldn't delete it.

Exa
Why?

Ehmmm hm the prophecy was made after the Kinslaying of Alqualonde (and the Valar were quite angry ... except for Morgoth probably ^^) when the Noldor tried to flee with the ships of the Teleri... but most of the prophecy was only understood long years later after loads of horrible things had happened to the Noldor as it had been foretold in the "Doom of the Noldor"

How did Aragorn know that the Paths of the Dead were really the way he should take?
(yea the thing has the same name as the subject of my post big grin )

Exa
Yea lol I was just trying to quote your older post while you deleted it big grin but still I think it would be quite interesting to read different answers to the same question smile different perspectives ^^

shadowy_blue

sauron
well i think crazyeyes was a she orc cause it was a well cute orc, but there must be, somewhere, i mean sauron would make she-orcs because it would save him the trouble of the whole creation process

and being the evil git he is would enjoy splitting up families and sending orcs to war

Exa

sauron
the shadow over numenor

i dont know

something is telling me sauron...and the whole valar thing but...confused

A.D. Skinner

A.D. Skinner

A.D. Skinner

A.D. Skinner
And thats all I have to say about that !

sauron
shadowy blue, eat your heart out!

Thorondor
laughing

Exa
http://images.killermovies.com/forums/moresmilies/laughing.gif http://images.killermovies.com/forums/moresmilies/clap.gif

... now you have to ask the next question stick out tongue

A.D. Skinner
How did the war between Dwarves and Orcs come about ?

sauron
the war between the dwarves and the orcs came about as the result of an attempt to destroy the orcs of the misty mountians by a race of free peoples. it was brought about by the orcsafter they murdered the dwarves king, thror, the dwarves of durin had been driven from erebor by smaug and werent having a good time, so all their anger and hatred was unleashed when they heard the news

the war ended in the valley of azinulbizar (dimril dale) many from both armies fell, the battle was won for the dwarves as a seperate army from the iron hills arrived just in time

whos idea were the ents, and what riginally did that person have in mind for them (i know the answer to this but i seemed a good question)

Exa
The idea comes from Yavanna - she thinks it's unfair when the kelvar (animals) can run away from enemies or defend themselves while the olvar (plants) arent able to do anything like that, so she asks for guardians especially for the trees whom she loved most

Which Vala was most like Melkor?

Thorondor
is this like trivia or are we actually asking questions?

A.D. Skinner
Just asking questions you either want answered....or think would be a good question for newbies to read and learn

sauron
the valar most like melkor was aule
they both liked creating things and enjoyed people showing appreciation for their work, of course melkors thoughs soon turned to hatred to aules works as they were better than his (wow this reminds me of something) so he destroyed them

what, in the song what goes with aragorns name, does the line all that 'not all that glitters is gold' mean

i know this one too but hey,....its the only way i will detect the right answer

Exabyte

Darth Sauron
eek! Your helping me bump big grin

Now *looks for answer*

Agent Elrond
I have a q: if Balrogs are Maia and maia can't be killed, then how does Ecthelion kill Gothmog? It doesn't make much sense

Darth Sauron
Because a balrog once detached from its body cant create a new one.....

Exabyte
As Sauron said, the thing that is destroyed is rather the body of the Balrog, while the "soul" probably has to flee to the Halls of Mandos; without a body, a Balrog is kinda powerless.

Other maiar, like Sauron, already showed that it takes a Maia ages to recover from such a physical death - if they can.

Darth Sauron
happy

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.