Best Movies Of All Time?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

THRASHER527
I THINK IT'S ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCU'S NEST HOW ABOUT YOU

King Jedi
The Usual Suspects or the Indiana Jones movies.

Zereil
I'd say Dogma

King Jedi
Everyone I know says that's his worst movie, but I liked it.

Zereil
I loved it, chasing amy appeals with comics and lesbians but Dogma still rules...

mah
schindler's list

Zereil
no I'm sure that doesnt have comics and lesbians...oh I see what you mean...

JediOasis
Trainspotting

Texas
American Beauty, it's so chilling and accurate in it's portrayal of American life. That movie really moved me.

King Jedi
The Shawshank Redemption as well.

Dim
I can't say that there's one movie...maybe a handful..and a coupl e of Kubricks..

King Jedi
Which ones? I haven't seen films like The Shining or 2001, but there are a lot of programmes on T.V here just now about Stanley Kubrick.

Dim
Clockwork Orange
Dr. Strangelove
A.I.

I thought the 2001 series were better as novels actually..

King Jedi
Don't shoot me but I haven't seen any of those either. sad

Dim
You should...especially Strangelove..it's funny.

Texas
A Clockwork Orange made my head hurt for three days. You know you've seen a thought provoking movie, when it causes you to become physically ill. AI was good, but Speilberg butcherd the ending, Kubrick wouldn't of made it as happy. Dr. Strangelove is really funny, Eyes Wide Shut is ok, 2001 is a masterpiece!

LaurenE147
I love Moulin Rouge. I can't wait for it to come out on video. It's the only movie when I've ever cried at the happy part. The songs are great.

Ratcat
I can't give just one. Depends on what Genre really.

Comedy: When Harry met Sally or Four Weddings and a Funeral

SciFi: 2001 did it all first

Horror: American Werewolf in London - A little dated now, but still terrifying

Brat Pack: The Breakfast Club

War: The Great Escape

Ushgarak
My list:

Schindler's List, The Usual Suspects, Memento, If...

Zereil
I just saw Unbreakable and absolutely loved it, It sits alomng side my top favorites. Of course given the subjects covered its clear that I would be biased

leonglee
It is so difficult to choose one. Probably The Godfather though Pulp Fiction and Schindler's List would be in there too. I would also include some Kubrick: Strangelove, Paths of Glory, 2001. Trainspotting and The Third Man are my favourite British Films. evil face

King Jedi
I don't like the third man.

LanceWindu
Tomcats, Hannibal, 2001.

Texas
I cant wait for Shamalyans next film, Mel Gibson in a farmer who discovers strange crop circles in his fields, you know that one is going to be good!

Zereil
I just saw Mementto last night and whilst it had a tinge of hitting home, I loved it, Its great in a weird kinda way...

King Jedi
Shamalyan is just making movies out of X-files or Outer Limits episodes.

Texas
*Warning Memento Spoilers*
Yeah, Memento was really good, first you think that Teddy is the bad guy, then you think that Natalie is a *****, but then you discover that they are just victims of Leonard. But I guess they deserve what they get, and Leonard is a psycho, he knew what he was doing when Teddy told him the truth, and his statement at the end just reveals how far gone he really is. It's a great movie. It's like watching a movie from end to beginning, really original.

Viseus
Movie quality is too subjective and relative to pick a single best-movie-ever. But here's a few of my personal favorites:

2001: A Space Odyssey - A Clockwork Orange - Alien - Apocalypse Now - Army of Darkness - Blade Runner - Conan The Barbarian - Dead Man - Dobermann - Dr. Strangelove - Fargo - Fight Club - Full Metal Jacket - Interview With A Vampire - Lawrence of Arabia - Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels - Man Bites Dog - Miller's Crossing - Monty Python's Life of Brian - Monty Python and the Holy Grail - Monty Python Live at the Hollywood Bowl - National Lampoon's Vacation - Oh Brother, Where Art Thou? - Pulp Fiction - Reservoir Dogs - Robocop - Raiders of the Lost Ark - Seven - Spartacus - Stallingrad - Star Wars, Episods IV, V, VI - Starship Troopers - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly - The Terminator - The Big Lebowski - The Blade - The Matrix - The Usual Suspects - This Is Spinal Tap - X-Men

There is no way I can pick a single one of these as the best, but if forced, I might be able to narrow it down to about a third.

Texas
No 'American Beauty' Viseus?, it's one of the greatest movies ever made, I think smile

Viseus
Hm, yes. It is good. Ok, include it.

Texas
WooooHooooo!!! Now just add Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3 to your list and we're all set laughing out loud

King Jedi
Nothing wrong with that movie. Huge talking Turtles in Ancient Japan. That's cool! big grin

Ushgarak
Well, more Turtle movies (or maybe a series) coming soon, so I hope you all like them...

(Sound of vomiting)

King Jedi
Turtles rule! Especially Master Splinter. big grin

Texas
*goes off to buy rat traps and poison* stick out tongue evil face wink

Ratcat
*coughs*

ahem!

Texas
*hands RC cough drop* Now wheres that dirty karate master of a rat? evil face

King Jedi
You better watch yourself Tex. He may be old but Splinter can move! smokin'

yerssot
*starts singing:
teenage mutant ninja turtles, teenage mutant ninja turtles,teenage mutant ninja turtles, heros in a half-shell...
turtlepower*

Ushgarak
Rather ridiculously, they didn;t have the same name over here.

Texas
What were they called over there? Was the theme song different as a result? I remember for my 12th birthday, I had a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle theme party, I was Michelangelo embarrasment embarrasment embarrasment

King Jedi
They were Teenage Mutant "Hero" Turtles over here. Leonardo was my favourite. smokin'

Texas
that's kinda dumb, dont they have ninja's in the UK? roll eyes (sarcastic)

King Jedi
Do they have Ninja's in America?

It was thought to be too violent a word for young kids. Which it is if you think about it.

Texas
Well I've personally never met a ninja, but I'm sure theres one somewhere. I dont think that they were too violent, as a kid I was exposed to all those 'American Ninja' movies starring Michael Dudakoff, they were ultimate cheesy! The ran in the middle to late 80's. I guess that because America is this one big melting pot, we are exposed to almost every culture, so far off ideas like ninjas are no big woop over here.

Viseus
The marketing guys probably figured that "ninja" would not sound good in the ears of parents looking for toys for their little children, ninjas being cold-blooded assasins and murderers. Maybe americans are more ok with murder and death as entertainment for children, but I think the main reason for the name difference is that the toys were introduced in europe a while after the US release. Maybe there had even been some controvercy over the name in USA before the Europe release. *shrug* Anyway, I remember being quite annoyed about the whole "hero turtles" thing when I was a kid. "Ninja" sure did sound a lot cooler to me.

Texas
When I grow up, I wanna be a ninja smokin'

King Jedi
When you grow up you might think differently. smokin'

yerssot
Yeah, than you want to be a Jedi laughing out loud

King Jedi
I fancy being a Gungan. The have great houses.

yerssot
And than you have a JarJar living next door

King Jedi
Cool! smokin'
As long as he doesn't break anything.

yerssot
So, you haven't seen TPM haven't you.

Texas
I think it would be very appropriate in AOTC if Jar Jar was killed by a ninja! evil face

Viseus
When I grow up, I wanna be a kid. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like I'll ever grow up.

HavocHound
best non-Star Wars flick = Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn

It's simply hilarious! If you love characters like Jar Jar or if you just like slapstick in general or if you like a good scare at night, Bruce Campbell (star of the movie, plays Ash) and Sam Raimi (director) have you covered.

P.S.: Sam's little brother, Ted, plays the Possessed Henrietta.

King Jedi
I think I've seen the first one.

Ushgarak
Then you can see it again when you watch the second! Due to their little licensing mix-up...

King Jedi
Eh?

Ushgarak
Due to a small licensing problem, the start of Evil Dead 2 is basically the whole of the first film compressed, and THEN they begin the sequal part of it.

King Jedi
Oh.
I think I would remember the first one if I saw it.

Texas
I've never heard of said movie confused

ToMacco
Has anyone ever seen "Leaving Las Vegas" with Nicolas Cage? That is one of the best damned movies I'ver ever seen. Not THE best, but one often overlooked by film critics.

Viseus
Unfortunately, I haven't seen Evil Dead 1 or 2, but I've seen the third movie in the series, "Army of Darkness". It's bloody great. One of my all-time favorite movies. Excellent to watch with a few buddies and some beer.

JediOasis
I agree, a great film. Too bad he picked a lot of bad movies after that one.

ToMacco
Yeah, Cage kind of did lots of candy ass movies after that.

King Jedi
I liked Leaving Las Vegas but don't like the director Mike Figgis. He's a bit of a snob.

micki11
my fav movie of all time is LORD OF THE RINGS and i also like MONSTERS.INC!!!! they are all wicked!

BackFire349
one flew over the cuckoos nest is the best movie ever, period. one of the most touching movies ever made. ull have every emotion going through you by the end of the movie.

Alias
HI EVERYBODY,

PLEASE LET ME KNOW YOUR TOP 5 FAVOURITES MOVIES AND ACTORS.

1)PEARL HARBOR
2)COYOTE UGLY
3)AMERICAN PIE 1 & 2
4)LOTR
5)ARMAGGEDON

1)JOSH HARTNETT
2)ORLANDO BLOOM
3)RYAN PHILLIPPE
4)ELIJAH WOOD
5)ROBERT DE NIRO

P.S KEEP POSTING wink

BackFire349
1. texas chainsaw massacre
2. one flew over the cuckoos nest
3. paths of glory
4. neverending story
5. requiem for a dream

1. jack nicholson
2. de niro
3. mel gibson
4. denzel washington
5. ellen burstyn

Sünden
It's hard to pick top 5 movies ever. But this is an attempt.
Not in Order of course

Snatch
Pulp Fiction
Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?
Requim for a Dream
Fight Club

Robin Williams
Brad Pitt
Sean Connery
Nicholas Cage
Denzel Washington

Fire
this is tricky
let's see

Fav movies (there is a difference between FAV and BEST movies)
The fellowship of the ring
The two towers
Pulp Fiction
Any given sunday
Dead Poets society

Fav actors
Samuel L Jackson
Sean Connery
Denzel Washington
Steven Seagal
Val Kilmer

Thomas H
1. Black Hawk Down
2. The Rock
3. Lord Of The Rings The Two Towers
4. hmm
5. hmm

1. Denzel Washington
2. Orlando Bloom
3. Tom Sizemore
4. Tom Hanks
5. Gene Hackman

Augeybana
5:Memento
4:Resevoir Dogs
3:Fight Club
2:The Matrix
1:Pulp Fiction

5:Harrison Ford
4:Jack Nicolsen
3messedamuel Jackson
2:Robert DeNiro
1:Tom Hanks.

finti
I dont have a top list but if I had Star Wars the OT would be high up there and so would the first two LOTR movies be

Mujaffa
who's Eva??

Thomas H
my God...its slang for ever...

finti
but he asked who Eva is?big grin

Thomas H
your mum!

finti
no

Thomas H
yes!

Julie
hmmm...that would take far too much effort...
1.Natalie Portman
2.Harrison Ford
3.Ewan McGreggor
4. Kierra Knightly
5.Orlando Bloom

any thing star wars.....LOtR.....Gettysburg.....

Bad Boy
1) Bad Boys
2) Pearl Harbor
3) Training Day
4) American Beauty
5) The Rock

1) John Leguizamo
2) Will Smith
3) Mel Gibson
4) Ben Affleck
5) Bruce Willis

Mujaffa
moded by finti

NO BRINGING IN OF ANY MEMBERS NEXT OF KIN IT WONT BE TOLERATED

Thomas H
sure is!

GordonSkywalker
Young Guns 1 and 2, The Phantom Menace, Robin Hood:Men in Tights and Space Cowboys are my top five.

finti
I think you all got the message about next of kin.

Fire
yea that was quite clear

Thomas H
so I found you weak point there!!big grin

Julie
next of kin???........weak points......*faints*

finti
it is not a weak point Thomas I aint got a mother, but no next of kins should be dragged in here

GordonSkywalker
What are you talking about finti? And why did you do that to his post just like you did to mine?

Mujaffa
i think i got the picture rainman! roll eyes (sarcastic)

GordonSkywalker
Hey don't let him intimidate you man.

finti
because it was something about what the post says it wont tolerate.
Gorden if you cant comprehend it sod off

GordonSkywalker
Don't lose your cool man. It was just a question.

Augeybana
yeah keep cool finti buddy.

Anyways I hope that the movies this summer will be in my top 10 movies eva!!

GordonSkywalker
People are saying bad things about T3 but I still say it could be one of the best movies ever, thus successfully tying it in with the topic question!

Augeybana
Yeah but it will make money this is a sequel long awaited.

GordonSkywalker
Yeah there has to be a whole group somewhere dedicated to all things about The Terminator. Maybe a website or three.

Augeybana
Yeah the movie looks awesome Arnold was due for a blockbuster hit.

GordonSkywalker
Yes the last film I saw with him was Last Action Hero and Jingle All The Way was hilarious!

Augeybana
Yeah a funny movie I wasn't expecting he last movie he did was Colalition Damage which sucked but made some money.

GordonSkywalker
I think my father has that movie on tape somewhere.

mechmoggy
Are you joking?

"Jingle all the way" was extremely poor.

BackFire349
whats all this talk about 'kin'? strange words you people use.

finti
it sucked

turin
how about
lord of the rings the fellowship of the ring
lord of the rings the two towers
tombstone
braveheart
american pie 2

and as for actors/actress

mel gibson
tom hanks
ashley judd
arnold schwarsaneger (not a great actor but in great movies)
?

GordonSkywalker
I didn't like Braveheart...too long...and I had to watch it when my sister's then-boyfriend was visiting. American Pie 2 sucked but I liked Tombstone.

turin
oww dude Anerican Pie 2 was hilarious (if you like the whole disgusting humor thing) maybe i liked it because me and my buddies did that kind of thing once out of highschool (the whole summertrip thing and not the glue ourselves to ourselves thing) lol.

Dexx
my top 5?..well let's see. These aren't in order.

movies: Pulp fiction
Snatch
Doberman
Fight club
American beauty (tie with crouching tiger hidden dragon)

actors: Brad Pitt
Samuel jackson
Al Pacino
Anthony Hopkins
jack nicholson
(well....i like jeff bridges too, chow yun fat..and a lot others

justinday15
1. Star Wars (all of them)
2. The Matrix (1 & 2)
3.Lord of the Rings (1 & 2)
4. Dumb and Dumber
5. Spider-Man

1. Jim Carrey
2. Natalie Portman
3. Keanu Reeves
4. Hayden Christensen
5. Orlando Bloom

Augeybana
Good choice.

justinday15
Thanks!

Augeybana
Also Clerks,Chasing Amy,Mallrats.Not the best but good for metioning.

SmokingIrishman
Here we go...don't hold me on this. And this is in no particular order.

1) Star Wars Movies
2) Jurassic Park
3) Boondock Saints
4) Devil's Own
5) Dogma

Actors

1) Denis Leary
2) Bruce Willis
3) Brad Pitt
4) Hugh Grant
5) The Guys who play Jay and Silent Bob

And the guy who played Anakin Skywalker was a badass too.

Augeybana
Jason Mewes is Jay and one of my favorite directors Silent Bob is played by Kevin Smith.

zimbo
Matrix The Rock xXx Ace Ventura: Maverick
when nature calls

Augeybana
X2 and The Matrx reloaded should be consider one of the best eva two sequel that whereb great as sequels.

chico23
I heard they were making a sequel to Boondock Saints anyone know if there is any validity to that?

Augeybana
Thereb was??

chico23
Well I looked around (didn't have to look hard) and if this site is the real deal looks like there is going to be a sequel to Boondock Saints. I really liked that movie so I'm stoked.

Check it out for yourself:

http://www.theboondocksaints.com/home.cfm

On that page is the supposed announcement.

Also seen it here:

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0330083

SmokingIrishman
Well, that sounds cool.

I don't want to spoil the first movie but...

!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
Their dad was a frickin beast.

Ok so that wasn't really a spoiler but...he was still a beast.

Thomas H
Number one rocked!

Phoenix
In no particular order....

Films - X:2, Robin Hood:Prince of Theives, Get Over It, LotR, HarryPotter

Actors - Alan Cumming, Aaron Stanford, Orlando Bloom, Elijah Wood, Billy Boyd

Dexx
jeese ppl.....it makes me wonder. what do you guyz expect from a movie? only cgis and 'badass'es?
Where are the REAL good movies and actors in your lists???

Phoenix
What do youclass as 'real good'?

Augeybana
For me "real good" is a movie you can go home and pop a tape or dvd in at anytime.

Dexx
real good? Movies with messages! Fight club, Pulp fiction, Doberman, Snatch, CTHD....etc

Augeybana
Any movie Quentin Taratino made.

SmokingIrishman
What, exactly, is wrong with cigs and Badasses?! I happen to be a big fan of cigs and a self-proclaimed badass! >_>

Anyway, I forgot about Fight Club. That movie was awesome. So was American History X.

Let me think of movies with a message...

Most movies try to give a message and fail miserably at it. Why ruin a good message with a bad movie or vice versa?

Star Wars is a movie I can watch over and over, LoTR is just as good, but to long to watch so much.

Just because I'm a fan of Theological subjects (mostly for debate purposes; I'm a big Pagan btw.), I watched the Omega Code 1 and 2.

Good example of why some movies just shouldn't try and be messangers. Or Dogmatic either.

I should say, another movie I have watched over and over is Dumb & Dumber! Classicly good comedy right there.

Payce,
Ian the Smoking Irishman

squarn
1.Attic Expeditons
2.The Matrix
3.Silence of the Lambs
4.Fight Club
5.Natural Born Killers

what those are actors?

Augeybana
Very good choice forgot Natural Born Killers.

Dexx
there's nothing wrong with cigs and badasses. I like them too. (pulp fiction is full of badasseswink and it's very good) But if the movie has no message...it can't be considered good....really good, anyway smile. I like watching the matrix, sw, lotr over and over again...but i don't keep them in mind as good movies.

American history X? now..that's a GOOD movie. it has a message

Augeybana
Fight Club had a message to.

chico23
American History X!!! Wow that is a great movie. Its one of those movies I can show to someone who has never seen it and watch the pure excitiment in their eyes. In my opinion, one of the most enlighting film of my generation. The quote at the end, which I'll add to my Sig is the best every put into film. A quote from Abraham Lincoln that stands true to this day.

Augeybana
Great movie and surpising ending to.Didn't see that coming.

ToMacco
roll eyes (sarcastic) roll eyes (sarcastic) roll eyes (sarcastic)

Well, clearly I need to mention some good actors and movies.

1. Schindler's List
2. The Godfather
3. The Wizard of Oz
4. Casablanca
5. Star Wars (the original)

1. Tom Hanks
2. Jack Nicholson
3. Johnny Depp
4. Robert DeNiro (when he's not doing that phony tough guy crap)
5. Brad Pitt

Dexx
maybe the god father's good too, but i wouldn't know cuz i bloody fell asleep at it. it's too boring.

yes...that's why it's in my top 5

good actors?
lemme think....i doubt i ever posted my top 5

well..these aren't in order..i'll just post them as they come in mind
nicholson, al pacino, brad pitt, turturo, samuel jackson, jeff bridges, jean reno, leguizamo (or however it's spelled)...and A LOT others. there are many good actors. (i didn't eve mention the actresses..there are plenty)

chico23
Guess I'll post my top 5 favorite actors.

1. Tom Hanks (The man can play anything)
2. Gary Oldman (very good as Drexel in "True Romance"wink
3. Brad Pitt (took me awhile to get over the pretty boy image)
4. Al Pacino (You got to love Al)
5. Gene Hackman (just had to throw a different one at ya)

Dexx
yes, yes.....gary oldman (leon..great performance)
Tom hanks...yeah, him too
Gene Hackman?...he's ok in some....but sux in others.

Evy_O
1. Lord of the Rings Trilogy
2. X-Men 1 & 2
3. Pretty woman
4. Thrillers in general (esp. What lies beneath & The Silence of the Lambs)
5. James Bond movies
6. Many movies I've seen and can't remember...

Dexx
*falls back in depression*

GordonSkywalker
I enjoyed watching the Arnold Schwartzenegger comedy Jingle All The Way with some friends late one night. It is a hilarious and utterly nutty movie. Sinbad and Jake Lloyd co-star in this modern romp. Great stuff.

Alias
thnx everyone for your opinons!
keep it up...

cycochic
1) Lord of the rings
2) Black Hawk down
3) Matrix
4) High fidelity
5) american pie

1) Orlando bloom
2) Johnny Depp
3) Heath Ledger
4) Courtney cox
5) Julia Stiles

green33
1)Terminator 3
2)Training Day
3)The Hulk
4)Blade 1 & 2
5)Matrix Reloaded

1)Denzel Washington (Training Day & John Q)
2)Arnold Schwaurznegger (Terminator 1, 2 and especially 3)
3)Jim Carrey (The Mask)
4)Hugh Jackman (X men 1 and 2)
5)Wesley Snipes (every film he has done)

A Talking Dog
1)FIGHT CLUB
2)A CLOCKWORK ORANGE
3)SCHINDLER'S LIST
4)TAXI DRIVER
5)GOODFELLAS

1)ROBERT DE NIRO
2)AL PACINO
3)BRAD PITT
4)EDWARD NORTON
5)BRUCE CAMBELL

forumcrew