Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ElectricBugaloo
Does anybody really care?

Storm
The idea of time may mean different things to different people, depending on their perspectives or other variables of circumstance.

Fire
time or atleast what we call time is something we created

Evy_O
Well, here it's 11:36 PM confused

Fire
hehe

TheProgramSmith
Time is something that is only measurable to those who pay attention to it.

Darth Revan
1:45 PM smile

LanİeWindu
I don't like watches...I like sundials...big grin

Storm
Our lives seem to take place in the perpetual present. Life can be viewed as a dynamic activity that disappears as it happens. From that point of view, you could say that there is no time like the present, no present at all, merely the memory of one. In the course of our lives we invent the past as a source of the now. We invent time as a background in which the past, present and predicted future take place.

Time exists at least partially within the context of our cognition.

Fire
ooh nice

Darth Revan
This is why we need a philosophy forum.... yes

LanİeWindu
<~~~~~~~~~Short attention span.

* Points up * Oooh a birdie, tweet tweet.

Gregory
I admit to being a little confused by these statements. Don't they contradict each other?

And we do need a philosophy forum.

TheProgramSmith
Life is a series of moments that occur in the PRESENT. We look to the future only because we can. We can peer into the past by recreating events in history. However, the only thing that should matter to a person is the present, hence my previous post.

Time exists to those who acknowledge it.

Gregory
That seems like a destructive philosophy. Those who don't consider the future are doomed to regret it, and those who do not consider the past cannot learn.

Fire
hehe

TheProgramSmith
You cannot move forward if you are to busy focussing on the past.

Fire
sure you can, historians do it all the time

eleveninches
Well, time is relative, and there is no such thing as absolute time, so no, nobody really knows what time it is.

Gregory
The present and future are meaningless without the past. Every thing you do, you do because of something you did in the pase. A trivial example: This semester, I took a religion course with Dr. Johnson and enjoyed it emensely. So next semester, I am taking another religion course with him. If I had not taken the first course in the past, I would not be taking the second course in the future.

TheProgramSmith
By looking to the past, you discover origins. How does that assist in the future?

Where did we come from and where are we going are on opposite sides of the spectrum, good sir.

Gregory
I've told you. If my example was a little too trivial, I can give others.

yerssot
I REALLY know what time it is: eating time (for me atleast)

TheProgramSmith
I did not read your 'trivial' example. I was responding to something else at the time. Your example does have validity to it, however. (By the way, you used trivial in a very odd tense. There was a plethera of others you could have used. Why trivial?)

That is a very spacific example. I was talking a little more universal then choosing a course for school. I understand what you are trying to say, but my question is very simple:

"Why look back? Why not enjoy now?"

We only live once. Why bother reflecting on the past? Why not divert the energy you are expelling wondering why when you can use it for so much more?

Gregory
I used it because it was the first thing that sprung into my head.

To a certain extent, I agree with you. As the old saying goes, there's no use crying over spilt milk. But there are advantages to looking back that should not be ignored. For example, suppose you break up with your girlfriend. Thinking about it is not pleasent, but if you can discover the cause of the break-up, you may be more successful in future relationships. It's no good spending your entire life looking back at the past, but if you look back sometimes, you can make your present much more enjoyable.

TheProgramSmith
I must use an example for this. Otherwise, it would take me much longer to express my point of view.

I will use the girlfriend example. You broke up with her because she did something wrong. Who really cares what it was, it does not effect anything. You decided to stay friends, but there is still that rift between you.

FORGIVE, BUT DO NOT FORGET.

Looking to the past can give you warning signs of whether or not she is going to do something again.

Is that the extent of what you are trying to get across? There are advantages to reflection?

TheProgramSmith
This thread and the "Offical what time is it" were on the menu at the same time. I chuckled.

Gregory
No, my point was something like this. Suppose that you and your girlfriend break up because, for example, she thought you got overly jealous about her male friends. The next time you try dating, if you remember the problems it caused the first time, you can make a conscious effort to surpress whatever jealousy you feel, and thus not repeat your mistake.

TheProgramSmith
True. You live, you learn.

Applied Knowledge

On a lighter note, I have had that song in my head since I came to this thread.

lil bitchiness
Time is what stops everything from happening all at once.

BackFire
All I know or care about is that it's about time for me to go to work.

eleveninches
Time is the 4th dimention

lil bitchiness
laughing out loud you are so great!

eleveninches
Time is an illusion

§pearhead
Time DOES exist. As lil said, it prevents everything from happening at once.

If you've ever read the time machine, you'd remember one of the first passages saying "an object needs length, width, and height to exist...but if this object has not existed for any amount of time, it hasn't existed, period." Time is a dimension, because if time did not exist, we would be frozen like statues.

~Angel~
erm Am I the only one who noticed that the origional post is lyrics from a song????? It's a song by Chicago.

ElectricBugaloo
wow, my little thread is all grown up...and only 2 people mentioned that they got it....

Lord Soth
There's no such thing as a correct clock. You have to consider differences of time between areas, mis-setting clocks, and the imfamous seconds thing. The only way people can tell the true time is by using the sun and the moon. Time is a commercial conspiracy to sell watches

Storm
A physicist' s view smile
Time is a dimension of the universe. It takes place next to the dimensions of length, depth and height to create a geometry in which our physical universe takes place. Physicists often view time as a physical phenomenon related to the thermodynamic laws of our universe.

mikeysgothicgur
It's 4:20wink

eleveninches
/\well, you're guarrenteed to be right twice a day

SlickRick69
Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?

Time for you to get a new watch??

Corlindel
Time for Rumsfeld resign

Fire
tsk tsk tsk Corlindel, mind the politics smile

IMO Time is very individual, ofcourse it exsists but the way it exsists is how we defined it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.