Joey

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Myth
I'm surprised I didn't see a topic about this already but I pet there is one hiding and just missed it. Anyway...

Will this spin off of Friends bomb? Yes or no? I say yes. Hell, if Kramer couldn't make it after Seinfield, how can Joey?

LanİeWindu
I say...I dunno yet.

It could, given the right circumstances.

eleveninches
Well, it worked for Fraisier, and Fraiser was not as much of a central character on cheers as Joey has been on Friends.

If they get some good new writers, and dont try to make it the exact same thing as friends, then it should work.

Myth
Thats why Fraiser worked. He wasn't a central character so they could still develope him as they pleased. Joey was much more established to play the role of the stupid friend. Usually, shows are built around a person or 2 that have a lot of depth as characters and they have a moronic friend(s) to play nothing but that role. Shows built around the moron won't work as well.

Aurora
I think it will do great. Joey started out in the background on Friends and throughout the show he became the one character that grew the most..... I can't wait to see what they will do w/ a show w/ just him!!!!

Lord Soth
Kramer didn't make it because he wasn't playing Kramer. People want to see more of the same character from the actor. The Seinfeld people went on to play different characters, so then they bombed. Joey is just like Frasier, they're taking him out of a long-running popular sitcom and moving him all the way to the other side of the USA. If it worked for Frasier, it might work for Joey.

However, as much as I want it to be good, it'll bomb. People's expectations will be too high.

eleveninches
Yeah. That's true. but I still think it will work if they dont try to make an exact copy of friends. I needs to be something fresh, and they need to bring in some new writers to make it seem different to friends. They should also really move him out of New York. Joey is an actor, so maybe they could set it in LA (in hollywood) and focus more on his acting career.

shake zula
nbc is expecting a good turn out for this show. people are still nostalgic about friends and joey is the only friend left. all they need to do is make an interesting pilot, keep the series funny, release it soon and i think people might be inclined to watch it.

Myth
The first episodes will get a large amount of the Friends viewers (not all) and after that, there will be a decrease of some of them showing interest in the show. Have any of you seen the commercials? It doesn't look very good anyway.

forumcrew
if i remember correctly michael richards spinoff was not about kramer it was a new character.. matt le blanc is still playing joey, and there will be periodic guest appearences by the other cast members, david schwimmer will also be doing some directing on the show (he also did some on friends) I think it can work, its nto gonna be huge like friends but it should do ok

SpiderGurl
So any thoughts on the season premiere?

BloomBabyGirl
i think this show is well basically friends. exceot hes a loser w.o friends. look sot be just as ..funny.. as friends but wont bring in all te friends lovers because most people wont wanna see them replaced

forumcrew
its got some of the highest scores in a long time for its pilot episode

Londonboy7
I d know about it but if any person was in a spinnoff form freinds it should br joey he is almost always the 2ndary plot and almost never the first

Londonboy7
They sould put janis in that would be funny

Clovie
i'd like it to be a success happy
but i'm not so sure.. but we'll see big grin

BloomBabyGirl
i watched it and it was pretty much friends but with new friends and not as many of em. still good. sdame ol joey

alic88
i haf watched the first 2 episodes.. the first 1 was sad.. but now tht i m used2it.. i really liked the second episode.. this show can surely go on for a full season

Red Superfly
It's almsot a dead cert that we'll see Chandler again.

Remember in Frasier where Ted Danson AKA Sam from Cheers makes an appearance? I think Joey will see his best friends again.

Joey was a great character, he was certainly the most funny (IMO), I can't wait to see this show.

And - they have loads of opportunities with his character - remember he has a MASSIVE family (all those sisters).

Just as long as he doesn't live with a "hilariously camp" gay character then all will be fine.

Shadow_King
shows ok i think it would just have like 1 season and thats it.

ladygrim
hmm i dont know how to vote,,,,

alic88
none of the FRIENDS will make an appearance thts for sure.. except for maybe david schwimmer but thts it.. i know tht for sure. joey is gonna haf 2 do it all by himself

WindDancer
Failure.....if it succeeds is only because Friends fans kept it alive.

forumcrew
incorect they already said there will likely be guest appearences by them, and schwimmer may direct some

Agent Elrond
I saw the first two, and they seemed good, but it's not the same as Friends. Even if Joey will be a good show, it may not reach the status as Friends. It's still early. Hopefully, they'll finish a season.

alic88
yA HOPEFULLY it lasts a season...... hey OFF TOPIC but if u had 2 choose one other character 2do a spin-off who would u want> i would say PHOEBE.. coz shez the only1 that could possibly do it single-handed.... and if n e 1 chooses MONICA that person needs a re-check

i m just askin4fun.....

Shadow_King
its only gonna last one season or even a half a season

Magee
Wow r u phsycic?

Anyway i cant wait for it to come out in the UK coz i wanna see wat its like. The fact that its Joe just makes it that much better.

BlackC@t
They should have made a Phoebe spin-off, she's the funniest.

MornGlory
Has anyone seen Joey yet? is it any good or is it just pure cheese?

let me know what you think??

Drumdude1167
sucks

DarthLazious
It sucks big time.

DeVi| D0do
It's not very good, though I wouldn't say it 'sucks'

... still better than the last five seasons of friends

MornGlory
I actually started a post on Joey a week ago - I was asking if the show was any good- but there was no post - so thats probably why you missed it

Endenkton
Joey is crap!!!!

Its gonna fail big time.

Endenkton
And if any of the other Friends cast are smart they will stay away from that abomination of a show.

eleveninches
This show premiered in the UK last night, with the first 2 episodes playing back to back. I thought it was quite funny. It's totally different from friends. You relly have to forget about friends and just accept the show for what it is, which is a rather more than decent comedy.

Morning_Glory
Joey is crap _ i watched one episode - it was just blah... it will have to pick up to stay on the air...

LOST - that is a good show!!! eek!

eleveninches
I thought it was quite funny.

KillTheLight
I watched Joey yesterday as well....wasn't as funny as I thought it was going to be ...I couldn't get into it.. no..kind of disappointing...

eleveninches
If you watch it xpecting a copy of friends, you will be dissappointed. It isn't as good as friends, but not that many shows are. But it was still a decent show in it's own right

04wayne
It shouldn't be compared to Friends yet because friends wasn't a success till about 2 series in

crickey77
I don't think anyone expects this show to be as good as friends. joey is funny but its nothing w/o the rest of the cast.

i'm hoping they will all make some sort of appearance - that would be pretty cool. What are all the friends up to now anyway? I've lost track... I know David is involved with Joey behind the camera, Lisa has some new show coming out and the rest have some movies but it would be great to see them all together again.

Tthe Almighty
i agree if the cast get back together then friends would end up going for another tens years

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.