Question about something in HP books.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

I Love Sirius
I have a question. The books mention the drink "butterbeer". Now, I always thought maybe it was an everyday drink, since the students drink it. But in Book 4, Dobby tells Harry that Winky has been drinking a lot of Butterbeer. Harry tells him that it isn't that strong, but Dobby says that it's strong for a house-elf, which is why she was drunk. But how can that be? Is it normal for a child or teenager to have those kind of drinks (although not as strong) in England? I'm from the U.S. and I'm just curious if that's just something that is done there. smile

Luna150
Its not realy beer, Its probably like rootbeer or a softdrink. But it Strong for house elfs

Unicor777
maybe cause house elfs are not used to ....

airangel
^ agree

I Love Sirius
Okay, thanks guys...........I hope I didn't offend anyone! embarrasment

airangel
no....I am from the US but am stationed here in Germany so I dunno much about beer and kids.........

Unicor777
ok , any other questions about something?

big gay kirk
Actually, its not uncommon for British kids to drink mildly alcoholic drinks... Shandy (usually about 0.5-1%) is classed as a soft drink, and some ginger beers have about the same amount of alcohol... the Famous Five's ginger beers would have certainly been alcoholic to this extent... Dandelion and Burdock used to be as well... all these are freely available to any child in the UK....

I Love Sirius
Damn! I wish I could've grown up in the UK! Just kidding......well thanks to all of you who replied!

celestial_moon
wow...big gay kirk actually has some facts 2 support something...jk big gay kirk! u do...sometimes...

big gay kirk
But of course, none of this changes the fact that I am an idiot....

I Love Sirius
Aw come on now! Don't put yourself down like that! We're all having fun here anyway!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.