Jaster Mereel

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lurik
Come discuss.... mad smokin'

QX100
He was the Leader of the Mandalorians and was killed.

Julie
huh?????what exactly are we supposed to discuss about him?....

Zachara
Well....

This is actually something that has been argued upon and argued upon often.
In some cases, as QX100 said, Jaster Mereel is believed to be the Leader of the Mandalorians and was killed. Some sources say that Jaster Mereel adopted Jango Fett and raised him after his parents were killed when he was just a boy. When Jaster died, Jango Fett was appointed leader of the Mandalorian army. Jango Fett was leader until he led the Mandalorians into a battle that would make them extinct. And then went to Kamino... and everybody whos anyone on this forum know what happends next.

But, in other cases..... Let's just say alot of Boba Fett lovers get really mad at Lucas because of this.

Jaster Mereel was previously believed to be Boba Fett's original name. NOT Jango Fett's son and NOT a Mandalorian Leader. New sources and Lucas himself say otherwise, but I even have the Tales of the Bounty Hunter book that reveals in 1996 that Boba Fett was indeed Jaster Mereel at one point. And I know that's not the only book that confirms this.

omg, how do I comment on this without offending some people.
I know there's going to someone who shouts "The books aren't the real stories. Only the movies are the real story." In which I would have to reply that in 1999 Lucasfilm and Bantam Spectacular books singed a contract basically saying (I don't want to recopy the contract 1. I don't think it's legal to do so, 2. Someone will bite me anyway even if post it and 3. I can't post a link either cause I just joined and I can't post links until I've posted a certain # of posts, I think) that ALL Bantam Spect. books are an official extension of the original Star Wars Trilogy. This contract says its as if all the books were written by George Lucas himself.

So.... I don't know. Technically, everything in law says that Lucas can do whatever the heck he wants since he invented Star Wars in the first place. But just think of how alot of authors must feel. It's like they were slapped in the face and Lucas through the respect for them merrily out the window.

SnakeEyes
Jaster is not Boba, thats a fact

Zachara
Where is the proof that supports this fact? I would like to at least hear of it, plz.

Jaster Mereel
The supporting facts are found in the picture aided Darkhorse book "Jango Fett: Open Seasons" or something along thoose lines, where Jaster took in Jango and trains him, aswell as becoming a mentor to Jango.

So if Jaster was Jango's mentor, there is no possible way, Boba, Jango's un-altered clone, is Jaster. smile

Ushgarak
No, sorry, that's not fair- every EU writer knows that he is writing outside of GL's storyline and that future film developments might render what they write irrelevant. That is part of the deal from the start; it is the very reason EU is not canon as GL does not want to be limited by what others have written.

Zachara
I guess so, but still. GL was the one who gave them rights to write their stories. It's like the teacher changing the original 95% to a 50% he/she gave you on a exam a couple of years after you wrote it.

Ushgarak
Not if you were told in advance that is how it would be. As I say, the EU writers always knew they were writing in an alternative continuity.

chilled monkey
Zachara is quite right. In 'Tales of the Bounty Hunters' Jaster Mereel is indeed Boba Fett's real name. He was a Journeyman Protector ion the planet Concord Dawn who was exciled after he killed a corrupt Protector.

And the books, comics etc were indeed 'canon' before Lucas said 'stuff it, I can't be bothered with this'.

ARC Trooper 117
The whole switch from Jaster Mereel being Boba to Jango's mentor was so that the story would fit within the confines of the story that came to be set up in the Prequel Trilogy.

So, Jaster being mentioned at the beginning of "The Last One Standing" could be seen as a nod to how Boba's "father" became a Mandalorian, and in turn, the event's that led to his creation. geek
That's my explanation, at least.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.