Is The Arab World Being Discriminated Against?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ash007
What are your opinion on the treatment of the Arab world over the last couple of years. Not neccesarily by governments, but has unfair media coverage somehow sub conciously turned people against them?

I ask because I recently read (don't have the source) that men of Arab descent or who had Arabic/Muslim names were 4 times more likely to be stopped and searched by police or at airports.

I also have a friend of Pakistani descent whose brother was held for 2 hours at Manchester airport while his luggage was checked, and wasn't given a good reason as to why he was being searched or detained. He never contacted a lawyer/police/the media after getting out because he didn't feel he would be heard.

Finally, is Americas support for Israel and opposition to Yasser Arafat hightening Arabic/Muslim hatred for America? wink

Darth Revan
Good threads you come up with Ash. cool

Yeah, I think we do sort of demonize Arabs. Americans love to have villains--somebody who they feel like they are standing up against and "fighting for the good of the country". In the late 1800's, it was the American Indians, during WWII, it was the Japanese, during the Cold War it was the Russians. Now it's the Arabs. Just another "phase" we're going through, so to speak.

Not only the news though... I noticed when I was watching Hidalgo that they portrayed all the Arabs in the movie as "the bad guys"... Not all of them were bad, but they really did give all of them a negative vibe.

Clark_Kent
i don't hate any person who lives on this planet. i want to travel the 7 seas and enjoy diffrent customs. i want to make australlia my 1st destination. we all bleed, have kids, and care after our closest of family. but there are exceptions, the ones that disrupt my peacefull days.

Dark Phoenix223
Oh course they will be stopped more, it wasnt WHITE people who blew up a building and killed thousands of people was it? No, I didnt think so...

BackFire
Eh, White people have done a fair amount of destruction to the world. Look at the Nazis, they were white...

I don't think any race is any better then any other, we all cause the same amount of pain and destruction to the world. It's the natural order of things.

Clark_Kent
thats what i said, you came with it, i'm just proud not to have any enemies, i have jewish and a asian friends, we don't talk about our nations past. we play games and drive each others car, at some point.

Fire
well Ash I think the problem lies in the fact that most western governments (and some western ppl) dont totaly understand the Islam, but then again a lot of arab nations dont have much respect for human rights and stuff (note that Bush has also done several things that are in violantion with those rights)

Personaly I have no problem with arabs

yerssot
hmmm, I feel the need to do a slight correction, FM...

some of those countries use the Sharia as their law and the punishments they use are still the same (I think) as in the time it was made. Which is I take over a 1000 years old? (correct me if I'm wrong)
So, with saying they don't respect human rights, something that's actualy a recent "invention" you criticise them for following their sacred law. That's like criticising a christian school for having prayers messed

Fire
it is not because it is over a 1000 years old that it is right, IMO every country in the world should respect the human rights

yerssot
if the law says someone has to die by stone, you have to follow the law

Fire
ppl should indeed break no laws, but laws should evolve over time.

yerssot
"schoenmaker blijf bij uw leest"

look at belgium first

Fire
yea I agree, but it's not because things suck at belgium, tho we respect the human rights far more than countries that use the sharia as base for their legal system, that I can not critize another country

yerssot
oh, you can, but you should first make sure your own country fully respects them, than the Benelux THAN the EU, etc. before you go on about other countries

Fire
well that's your opinion not mine

yerssot
so, if you found out a rather discriminating law in belgium, you would still feel obligated to criticise another country eventhough yours isn't up to par itself?

Fire
yes, I would and do critize belgium as much if not more than anyother country in the world, but this thread is not about belgium

yerssot
indeed it is not, just before you go on about criticising a country for having a sharia as law (even that is not the real subject) you should make absolutely sure that your law is pure too

Fire
again that is your opinion NOT mine

yerssot
yes, cause imho it's rediculous to nag about what a country does wrong while your own country can't handle it itself

Fire
I never understood what ppl thing is wrong with that but than again meh, I don't care what ppl think of my opinions on that matter

yerssot
I noticed

Corlindel
What the f**k?

yerssot
she tries to get 9-11 into this discussion, not knowing that this has nothing to do at all with the arab world

Corlindel
We shall remember not only the dead people of 11/9, But all the innocent victims of any kind of agression.

Last civilians Bodycount in Iraq (9061-10918)

http://www.iraqbodycount.net/bodycount.htm

yerssot
but lets not get into that now

Corlindel
Yep. I will out one more post it on my screen to remember that I am on KMC. smile and that I need to follow the rules. Sorry.

Darth Revan
DarkPhoenix, you need to realize that the people who blew up the WTC were Muslim extremists... The Muslim part is irrelevant, they could just as soon have been Christian extremists or Jewish extremists or Buddhist extremists or Shinto extremists or anything else...

Fire
idd DR

WindDancer
Arabs have been discrimated all the way back to time of the Crusades, and even farther the time of the Romans. Always the Western world have portrayed them as bandits and wicked or murders. From books to movies, and now even the media are just increasing the hatred for the middle east. Is sickening, also very unfair for those people.

Linkalicious
ok so check out the logic of my less than intelligent friend regarding the treatment of the Iraqi prisoners.

He says that they deserve to be treated as they were because if you had given any of those prisoners a pistol at that time, the Iraqi would shoot you without a 2nd thought.

But then i told him, if i was sticking a pipe up your ass and abusing the crap outta you, and then i gave you a gun....what exactly would you do? allow yourself to continue being violated?? He said no, I'd shoot the bastards...and if i only had 1 bullet, i'd shoot myself.

What an idiot....NO ONE deserves to be treated like those Iraqi and NO ONE's corpse should be paraded from a bridge.

Both parties are wrong.

yerssot
DR; lets drop that

Raz
Please keep this thread civilized and keep out the controversy, otherwise it will have to be closed.

finti
I dont think the media do to bad of a job showing the situation that goes on in the middle east, now I am talking about our domestic(Norwegian) networks since that is the networks I follow

Linkalicious
yeah, Americans tend to make any and everything we do a righteous move, and they portray all actions by muslims as heinous and lowly.

It's really unfair to them.

Fire
biased media

Fëanor
unfortunately because of the environment that we're living in now...there will be some discrimination against any who look middle eastern or of arab descent...i say some because it is what we read and see in the media...i do not believe it is a perpetual discrimination against said stereotypes...anyone with common sense must realize not all arabs or muslims are terrorists or extremely fanatical...

my opinions of the arab world, customs, laws and are like a double edge sword...i have great admiration for their contributions, e.g. mathematics, sciences, art, history, food, etc...

but they do lag behind as far as social mores and human rights...but that is the fault of those that lead the flock...not the everyday average hard working individual who's only sole reason of living is providing for his family and not too concern about what their government is lacking as far as leadership goes...

Creechuur
I got yelled at for talking politics on KMC. How is this thread surviving?

I have my own opinions on the subject, but I'm not gonna bother. My bluntness and sarcastic, sometimes insulting sense of humor is often misunderstood in forums, especially by moderators! I'm American and pretty much conservative too, so my opinions are definitely biased and unless you listen to Michael Saveage you wouldn't agree with me.

Its funny how opinions are usually easier to give than to take from others, to some people anyways.

Fire
creechuur not all politics are forbidden just overtly political threads, in theory this is not a political thread

Creechuur
Good point Fire, but its definitely a touchy subject. I'm going to go think about Star Wars now. embarrasment

Unicor777
hm... Arabs .. I don't think they are diferent that any of us. their values are the same as ours, the only diference lies in the modalities that some of hardline countries have chosed to reinforce those values. Every time when a sistem is based on reference to supernatural, irealistick sorce there is always space for manipulation, and this is what is happening to some Arab counties. As it happend in the past in the Chiristian World. Not that Sharia is bad, but maybe needs some reforms in temrs of the moralities, one has to look at it from a perspective of the historical period when it saw light, some 1000 yeasr ago, and I guess then it was needed exactly in the authntic form. But now times have changed, and I'm surre that the Arabs have noticed this by now, but it is a process and requires a time.

Another point about the descrimination is that some individuls, or let me use polically corect language " isolated groups" present them as victims refering to historical events that happend 1000 or 500 years ago, it very dangerouse for a nation to allow its past to project the future, cause is like a veil and you might miss some good oportunities in the present that might not knock on your door again.

WOW I spoke a lot

Gullom
I am an Arab...

well to tell you the truth...

some Mulims do have a way to show Islam is a terrefying thing I mean some guys like Bin laden or anyone like him..

We muslims are very peaceful and we respect other religions.. coz all have the right to believe in what they see suitable or rasied at in understanding...

The Holy Quran does not force people to join Islam, it only gives facts which has been given by " AllAH " and those who read Quran actually have a choice of believeing or not...if he believes then Good for him and if he's not a believer, then it's his choice we do not force thats what's all about

Some Muslims are forcing others which is " wrong"

we do feel REALLY bad about Palistine and to all whats going on around there, coz for more than 50 years war..

50 years war guys, just imagine the pain and the slotering and the blood...it's just not a pretty picture..

now, as for the media, I heard that the united states of america, plays a big role in how to view the media and direct the public to believe what they show around there in the states, and what really happens here on the east side is totally diffrent for example,

Bin laden is the planner of 11th september... and with no enough evidence US started killing people with no technology at all, for the sake of catching BIN laden..??!!?

Gullom
lot of people declined this war and started pointing fingures to the US, ...then the US goes showing whats going on in plaistine just to hmmm it's like we say " change the subject "

I donno guys but USA plays a big role in media...

why all that I have no idea,,,

I have nothing against any nationality or religion not at all....

we do have the same thoughts and believe in GOD.... why all this Blood and why all this creations for such distructive weapons,,,

none of the countries should be allowed to poses such distructive weapons that might end the race of humanity coz of an idiotic mis understanding and hatred...

I don't blaming anyone or poiting at anyone...

coz all the human race are resopnsable for what is happening in this world....

my only true wish here is, WORLD PEACE...building trust and love between all.....I know I'm asking for too much...

but you don't know dream might come true some day...

Lets just hope for the best...

finti
war will exist as long as there are humans on this globe

Corlindel
Hi humans. I am sick of you alien2

Fire
lol Corlindel went off topic there

yea I have to agree with finti

Corlindel
Ok. Here is Corlindel fighting against racial/religion discrimination.

Me and Abu smile

Fire
hehe

Leon s.kenedy
Sup?

Fire
hmm try to keep this on topic guys

yerssot
reminds me of my holiday in Syria, we had a cab-driver that took us through the country, didn't spoke english and we barely arab, but we had a lot of fun big grin

Unicor777
--------------------

Yes. But also note that as long there are wars and humans on this planet the idea of peace and tranquility will find its fellowship and supporters. these are people that would be ready to raise above their own nationality , religion and culture for the sake of the others, united under the platform of world peace!

Gullom
world peace....

guys I just saw the video of that american getting killed... cutting his head off... my GOD.... SAVAGES LOW LIFE PEACE OF SH*T...

I can't believe what I saw, this is insane....

for once and for real I really wish this whole life ends soon...

Unicor777
The whole situation is insane.... the brutal treatment of the prisoners, the killing on TV, the bombing of afghanistan, the attack on the WTC, everything... We, all of us has two options:

1. Either to close its eyes and prented to continue living
2. Or, at leaset to speak openly about it, under no ilusion that one can change the macro politics!

Lames.s.
We as humans need to do much more for and with each other. We tend to look for any way to categorize ourselves so we can belong to something and feel important. I will be the first to admit that I have prejudices. I hate it, but I have them and I try to do all I can to correct them. I have had the pleasure to meet people from several different cultures and with each person I have been amazed at the wonderful and beautiful things each have to offer. It also saddens me as I realize that as humans we will probably never go beyond our prejudices for each other long enough to see or enjoy those beauties. I hate all of the killing, greed, manipulation, hatred, and mistrust that is in this world. I only hope that someday, humans realize their greater potential and stop all of the "I am better than you because.........." nonsense and learn to love each other.

With that said...Yes I think Arabs get a bad rap......it is unfortunate and it sucks.

lil bitchiness
I have never been more disgusted by anything in my life, as i was when i saw that clip.

I had to see it, and believe me, curiosity kill lil.

That was beyond savage, i cant believe that, plus it was put on the internet, how absolutely shamefull!

I can only imagine what those man's family must feel like, when anyone can download their sons death on the internet.

We as speacies suck!
Humans are the only animals that kill and take he pleasure out if it.

BackFire
Indeed it is an awful clip to see. But I feel it is important for more people to see that video, so they can see and comprehend the consequences of the war over there, and see what's actually going on and why we are fighting against those inhuman pieces of trash.

Darth Revan
Gullom dude, VERY good arguments you bring up there. thumb up

Gullom
Thank you Darth....

well.... as for what is happening, we can't do much about it do we?

I donno...in my part of earth we Muslims do not encourge such things...

Our prophit " Mohammed " was spreading Islam peacefully by convincing and understanding it was never by forcing....

some of our people really lost the point of Islam...

I never thought I would see the day that Animals care about each other more than Humans....

lets just all ask GOD for forgiveness for all those sins....

May GOD have mercy on us....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.