Vernon God Little

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Phoenix
Has anyone else read this? It's very good, but probably not for youngsters - theres a swearword pratically every sentence, and some strong sexual references.

Some people say its a modern Catcher in the Rye, and I suppose there are some similarities, but I think I preferred this to Catcher in the Rye.

Having said that, I can't say I loved this. it was interesting and eye-opoening, but I don't think I'd read it again. I encourage everybody to read it once tho!

badkittykitty
what it about phoe?

Phoenix
It's about a boy who's up for genocide. Its more sort of character developpy than plotty...

Phoenix
Well, has anyone read Catcher in the Rye? It'd be cool to do kinda comparison of the two...

((could the thread maybe be renamed 'Catcher in the Rye/Vernon God Little' ?))

bLooMiLiCioUs
i saw my friend reading it but i didnt pay muh attn...he did seem to be rather interested innit tho....lol...sexual references eh... now i know why he's so into that devil hahaha...i'm gonna try readin it...

Phoenix
It's very depressing and paints a rather bleak picture of white Americans

Alf0nse
Hi I'm new here, thought I'd chuck in my two penneth worth regarding the book.

I found it dark but funny and to be honest quite uplifting, it did remind me of catcher in the rye -but I prefered VGL. I read CIR as a kid after being told that it was essential teenage reading & that "every kid could relate to holden caufield". I liked the book, but I couldn't relate to caufield at all. I didn't know any 16 year old that could afford to do what he did whereas Vernon Little was more of my social equal.

There's alot in the book that isn't fully explained which is a good thing imho & the sexual side of things doesn't bother me. Vernon is a 15 year old boy not a monk & his (& other characters) sexual preferences do drive the narrative. Without these urges, you would only have half a book.

I don't know if it does reflect on white americans too badly, the author is very sympathetic towards Pam' his mother's overweight friend & the central character's opinions of other people shift throughout the book. If you take the author himself into account he's a british guy who was brought up in various different oarts of the world, who in his teens and early twenties threw himself headfirst into what the seedier side of mexico had to offer.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.