Olympic Basketball

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Myth
This years Olympic team was looking pretty disappointing but Lebron will make it exciting. He is expected to accept the invite tomorrow.

Who's in and who's out:
Marbury (invited to replace Kidd)
Marion (invited since Elton Brand, Kevin Garnett and Karl Malone not expected to participate)
Shaq is a long shot
Kobe won't because of court issues
Duncan will
Jermaine might drop the team because of advancements in the playoffs and fear of terrorism (Martin and Odom are replacement candidates)
Richard Jefferson
Allen Iverson sad
Ben Wallace could get an invite but not yet
Bibby might drop (Cassel is leading candidate to replace him)
T-Mac might drop (Artest or Carmelo candidates for replacement)
Carter and Ray Allen won't because of family things
Amare Staudemire really really wants to be on the team but USA Basketball has not mentioned him yet (they should be able to find better)

wuTa
hey outa of the all those superstars iverson has been the one has been the most commited

Myth
I don't know if I want him representing the U.S. though. sad

Amare is getting the invite now damn it. Practically begged to go and for that, I don't want to see him there.

wuTa
who begged to go...amare?

Linkalicious
my thoughts exactly. Iverson IS a great basketball player. Probably pound for pound the best in the league, but he's a TERRIBLE representative of the United States.

I think it would be interesting to see the US have a bunch of only defense minded players on the team. Instead of out running the opposition and out leaping them on offense...it'd be cool to watch the US try and hold teams to under 50 points.

wuTa
how is he such a terrible representative? besides the sittin out thing? its not like he's the only players whos done somethin stupid? i' m not gonna bring anyone other players in the mix but there are alot of players on that roster who has done somethin dumber than the sitting out of a game....i'm curious why u guys dont think he should be on the team

Linkalicious
The guy has so many tatoos that he has to wear a shooting sleeve because they are inappropriate to be on television. And don't try telling me he wears that as a fashion item...because that's a 1/2 truth.

He's selfish, very poorly spoken, little want to be thug. What ever happened to being just a black guy with skills? He'd be fine with me if this whole psuedo-gansta hip hop genre wasn't what he is all about. He needs to pull up his damn shorts, and go back to 6th grade English class

I'd feel the same way about Dennis Rodman. Sure he's a great basketball player...but i sure the hell wouldn't want him representing the US.....Rasheed Wallace either.

And name one guy on the current Olympic team that hasn't been worst than Iverson. Can you? Artest was on a bad road last year, but he straightened his act out pretty damn well this year.

wuTa
i have no problem with the way he talks or his tattoos or the way he acts....yea he tries a lil too hard with the gangsta thing but thats only because he doenst want to forget where he comes from and i can respect that..and i want him on that team coz like it or not thats part of America....and i want ALL of America to be represented...and what do u mean worse?...iverson was fine before brown bailed on him he just needs the right guidance....u already mentioned artest.....look at marbury....horrible rep in new jersey....wouldnt pass the ball and did nothing but shoot even when he was tripled covered and van horn was wide open in the corner...isiah thomas traded for him had a talk with him and he's toast of the town....i can even say that about jason kidd.....he didnt like his coach in phoenix so much he bought the problem in his family life....traded to new jersey under Scott and it was all good granted he got Scott fired but thats also after Scott fired but it was all good before that

Linkalicious
it's exactly the "tries a lil too hard with the gangsta thing" that pisses me off. There aren't gansters in the NBA. Everyone should be a normal functioning adult. Iverson went to college for what...4 years? He should atleast show that he learned something from that.

Myth
Don't forget Iverson's run ins with the law. He through his wife out of the house naked then went looking for her while waving around a gun. He later must have payed everybody off because suddenly everybodies' stories changed. He is well known for not getting along with coaches (thats why Brown bailed). You said yourself that "iverson was fine before brown bailed on him he just needs the right guidance." Good representatives should be setting good examples, not needing good examples for guidance.

Myth
Yes, Amare.

Its not that he really made a "please please pick me" but he was the only person to really come out without being aproached and say, "I'd love to play." If he were asked, fine, but let the election committee choose without being pressured.

wuTa
he went to college for 3 yrs....and c'mon lets not bring up that incident with the lawup even kobes got legal issues...dont get me wrong i think he's innocent but he should have never have put himself in that position....ok i think u guys both agree with me that he's one of the best players in the league with alot of heart...he's been the most comitted player out of all of them and u guys dont want that just coz some tatoos and his image? alot of americans have that image too

Linkalicious
yeah punk musicians, bikers, and those guys that serve me coffee at starbucks. Image? yah nothing like trying to be something he's not. Iverson is about as gansta as I am black.

He plays his ass off i will give him that much, but that's because his supporting cast is less than stellar. Philly needs to do something to switch it up otherwise they're in for a long haul at the bottom of the East.

wuTa
yea but iverson grew up with that lifestyle....i dont know if he lived it but i know it was around him like i said...there aint nothin wrong with forgetting where u came from......even if he had a stellar cast he's still gonna play his ass off

Myth
Iverson works his ass off and thats just about the only thing I respect about him. The gangsta image is not something that we should flaunt to other countries. Hell, they hate us enough, imagine what they think with the gansta badass image of "Stand back yo! We America."

wuTa
yea well i agree wouldnt shouldnt flaunt it to other countries....i'm not sayin we should get the AND 1 mix tape street ball tour to represent us but the fact is that gangsta image is part of america and thats part of iverson if we made him wear suits and talk like an english professor than that just aint right coz that aint who he is

Linkalicious
street ball is crap. Iverson's image fits in perfectly with the AND 1 tape. Funny enough, all his fans tend to take a liking to that bullsh!t they try to call basketball too.

Myth
They officially added Lebron, Marbury, Marion, Stoudemire, and Richard Jefferson.

Current team if nobody drops:
Lebron
Marion
Stoudemire
Jefferson
Marbury
Malone
Kidd
Duncan
Iverson
Jermaine
Bibby

Here is something by Jason Fleming at Hoopsworld.com that I completely agree with:

Plus the whole begging thing.

wuTa
and del harris is gonna coach china...was he even born in china i dont even know if he speaks chinese? that doesnt make any sense

ElectricBugaloo
Lebron
Marion
Stoudemire
Jefferson
Marbury
Malone
Kidd
Duncan
Iverson
Jermaine
Bibby

This team doesn't look all that great.

Myth
Too much offense. They should have used a couple offensive minded people and surrounded them with defenders. Ben Wallace would be very useful in international play.

Del Harris? China? WTF? Thats got to be a joke.

wuTa
nope i heard it the other day on Pardon The Interuption (PTI) on EPSN

Myth
Thats really weird. Is he a citizen?

Arachnoidfreak
WHAT?!? street ball is crap?! granted, its not as good as the NBA, but nothing is, considering the NBA is the ultimate goal for any basketball player.

It is flashy and there are more turnovers than a bar be que, but thats because its more like entertainment. when you live in the ghetto and cant afford an NBA ticket, you go to a streetball game. All the players love th attention and are super-friendly with the fans, you get a fun show, and everyone has a good time.

NBA is official organized ball. Street ball is not much like it. It is still basketball though, and you shouldnt call something crap because its different.

wuTa
i dont think he is but i was think about this the idea and i dont think you need to be a citizen to coach or play for a coutry....Duncan was born and i think he was raised in the virgin islands and thats not part of america and he's playing for us so go figure

Myth
The Virgin Islands are US territory.

wuTa
are u sure? i thought it was great britain territory

Myth
They are known as the U.S. Virgin Islands so I'm pretty sure they are US territory.

Myth
http://www.usvi.net/

yes

wuTa
well gawd damn what the hell is del harris doin in china? laughing

Myth
Thats what I want to know.

wuTa
http://www.startribune.com/stories/511/4643676.html

i had to make sure i didnt dream it or some shit

Myth
I'm surprised they can do that. I guess its just athletes who have to be citizens.

wuTa
i know that is crazy it doesnt make sense that you have to be a citizen to play but your dont have to be a citizen to coach

Myth
When do the Olympics start?

wuTa
good question...i dont know

Myth
Reggie Miller might be on the team. YAY! eek!

wuTa
where did u hear that?

Myth
http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=1807529

justinday15
Reggie has been my favorite player since i was like 6. But now its a toss up between him and Artest.

Myth
Artest is a punk. He's been better this year, but I still won't ever like him again. Reggie, all-time favorite. yes

Myth
McGrady officially dropped.

Arachnoidfreak
I dont understand why anyone would pass up the opportunity to say that they are the best in the WORLD. WHY??

i dont even have to assume that the U.S. will win, i know they will. they havent lost since the Olympic judges said professional players are allowed to participate.

Myth
They lost in the 2002 World Basketball Championships... under Jermaine O'Neal's leadership of course shifty

ElectricBugaloo
they'll lose this year

the only dream team worthy of the name was the original

Arachnoidfreak
what the hell was Jermaine O'Neil doing leading the team? who was on the team?? there are so many players out there better than he is.

wuTa
i dont beleive how many players are dropping out...what ever happened to wanting prove yourself to be the best in the world...it just goes to show how alot of players today are all about themselves and not a team...i can understand some of the like malone he's old and kobe with the tough year he has had but i dont understand why people like McCrady are dropping out........at least our boy Iverson aint goin nowhere big grin

wuTa
alright i guess now the rumor is that carmelo anthony is the next canditate to replace Mcgrady and that would put 2 rookies on the team... i dont like that i dont mind one rookie because the orginal dream team had christian laettner and he was just comin out of college...but there are better players out there than anthony that deserved to be asked like artest, miller, and ben wallace

MaverickIce
Artest is a Punk.

wuTa
Artest is the sh*t *walks off to play defense with hand in the air*

Myth
About damn time. Ben Wallace is now expected to be added to the Olympic team as I had been hoping for. They apparently asked him 2 weeks ago that if invited, would he go. Of course he said he would if invited. So no invitation yet, but sounds like he should get it.

wuTa
he better if they ask carmelo anthony over him i;m gonna start a riot

Myth
Carmelo is a different position, if he gets on, its going to be in T-Mac position. However, HE GOT THE INVITE! Just waiting on official announcement now of Big Ben on the Olympic squad.

Myth
Iverson is a douche bag. He got in trouble for parking in handicap spaces because his knee is a little banged up. YOUR A PRO ATHLETE! You don't need a handicap space.

Btw: Malone said for sure he's not going to play in the Olympics yesterday.

wuTa
laughing....hey i think we've all parked in handicaped spaces at least once

Myth
I haven't! mad

Even so, they should be setting examples. People look up to pro athletes.

wuTa
umm yea me neither shifty...the honest athletes will be the 1st one to tell you that they dont want to be role models....there human just like anyone else...look at barkley....he was throwing people outa bars when he played literally....he threw that one dude out of the window

Myth
Bibby officially dropped.

However, they say that Wade is a higher possibility to join the team than Carmelo. I like Wade, really I do, but after one decent rookie season on a overachieving team, I don't think he should be on the Olympic team quite yet.

wuTa
eek! i love wade even back when he played at marquette...i'd take him over anthony anyday anthony had the better season but he didnt carry his team during the playoffs like wade...wade put that team on his shoulders and got pretty far....and miami didnt overachieve thats a young team with alot of talent ig they can keep that team togethor there gonna be up there for sure

Myth
Anthony's team had a better record than Wade's and Anthony did better individually than Wade. Miami did well in the playoffs because they played well as a team, it wasn't Wade carrying them although he did play well. But I still don't think it was good enough to be even considered for the Olympics.

wuTa
i say wade carryed them...i watched evey game the heat had in this years post season and if it wsnt for him they never would have even beaten charlotte....and in that pacers series he carryed them all game in game 7 but got in foul trouble and when he would rest on the bench indiana would completely take over but when he got back in the game he made like 12 straight points and gave the heat the chance to tie the game at the end of regulation....wade still average 17 points for the season so it just wasnt the playoffs he played good in

Myth
He played very well, I'll give him that. But the Olympics?

Myth
Carlos Boozer was just added to the team. YAY!

wuTa
boozer?...i like boozer he's one of the few duke players whos actually doni good in the NBA but i'd rather have wade....boozer is a good player but anyone who watched wade in the playoff so someone go from a good player to a superstar

Myth
Boozer is taking a frontcourt position though, they weren't in contention for the same spot on the team. So you'll be happy to hear that Wade IS on the team now. There is 2 spots left on the team that should be filled by the end of the week. Lamar Odom is getting strong consideration now too. Again, I don't think he should be on the team.

Arachnoidfreak
where to do you get this information? nba.com?

Myth
I usually check hoopshype along with many other places such as CBS NBA Rumor Mill (not too accurate) and Hoopsworld. NBA.com usually puts up the stuff only when its officially announced.

Arachnoidfreak
im too lazy to go to all these sites lookin for crap. im glad you put it here yes

Myth
It looks like they will add both Lamar Odom and Rip Hamilton to the team. I'm happy to see Rip be added.

wuTa
me too....rip and big ben probly deserve those spots more than anybody

Myth
I don't know about anybody, but they deserve them.

Myth
NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! Ben and Rip declined their invites! I guess because they don't want to ruin their chances of a repeat or something.

Anyway, now its expected that there will be Carmelo and Redd on the team.

Btw: Tim Duncan and Iverson are the only 2 original members from the team that qualified. Thats f*cked up.

wuTa
shit! shit!...thats all i can say about big ben and rip declining yea well iveson does have the symbol of loyalty tattoed on his neck and duncan is just awesome those two better not drop

Myth
Looks like the final spot will go to Okafor. erm

wuTa
what?....thats crazy

Myth
I agree. Stupid Olympic committee.

Myth
I guess they are now going to use one of the guard spots for a center. And they are considering Theo Ratlif of my Blazers. eek!

wuTa
wow...there really gettin desperate...no offence but i think they should pick someone else unless its him vs okurfor than i'd take him but this is one f#cked up olympic committee

Arachnoidfreak
It's not the committee, the players don't wanna f.uckin play. damn b.itches. I would do ANYTHING to have a chance to be called the best on earth

Myth
The players don't want to play, but then they are also making weird choices as well.

Myth
OMFG! Italy creamed the USA today. WTF!?! They better pull things together because this isn't looking good.

Linkalicious
things will be fine. Larry Brown won't have any of that bullsh!t that they call basketball.

I was watching the game up to the 2nd half and Italy just flat out, out played USA.

We were a disgrace to the sport, considering the talent we have.

wuTa
somebody needs to tell lebron james that they call traveling in olympic basketball

Linkalicious
man i watched Lebron, and he was traveling the whole damn game. Sure, he got called on it like 3 times. But there were atleast 2 or 3 other times where he got away with it.

I hate watching the Olympic team...it's like an all-star game. They should have just stuck Ben Wallace, Theo Ratliff, Teyshaun Prince and Ron Artest on the team so they had good defense. Then leave Wade on the team because that guy just flat out kicks ass all ove rthe court.

I'm sure atleast one was offered the chance...but it's a chance at a gold medal for god sakes. Who the hell can turn that down???

Myth
Yep. Ben Wallace was but he backed down to rest after playing all the way to the championship.

Linkalicious
yah, he was the one i thought that got offered. I just wasn't too clear on whether or not Artest got the nod.

it's all good though. Larry Brown won't put up with that crap as coach.

wuTa
they needed to get there ass kicked though...this will be a good wake up call...Italy isnt even that good..at least thats what i'm hearin...did anyone les noticed how italy acted with the bows and jumping up and down....i really dont have a problem with it but if that was us doin it...the shit would hit the international fan

ImAPirate
italy did have a good 3 point range though...

Myth
Yeah, but they almost lost to Germany as well. It took a desperate 3 at the buzzer to avoid OT.

wuTa
i was wonderin who made that shot myth eek!

FlappingMangera
Hey guys, just came across this thread. Don't doubt the USA boys, I think they'll get serious when the time comes

can't wait to watch them get gold

ImAPirate
yea, just give them a little time

Linkalicious
yah, i said that crap all year about the Lakers...and they still got scorched in the finals.

Plain and simple, you can't come out flat in the Olypmics anymore. The talent of the European countries is just too much to be slacking around with.

USA plays like a bunch of those idiot street ballers on ESPN. No defense, all show on offense....it's just ugly.

They better turn it around, and do it soon.

wuTa
yea this isnt the dream team filled with hall of famers in there prime.....USA is young and the team doesnt have as much chemistry as the rest of the world coz of all the replacements...you can really tell to...players arent communicating or nothin...u see alot of missed passes and bad defense....USA can definetly win the gold but i got the same feeling as i did about the nba finals but i'm on the other end this time...larry brown can only do so much...bottom line is the players need to wakeup and realize that they need to bring there A game every game..just coz everyone expects u to win the gold doesnt mean your gonna win the gold

Linkalicious
yah I totally agree with you on that one. I get that NBA finals feeling all over again when I watched them play Germany and Italy.

We're definitly the most talented team on the court, but that doesn't make us the best team. Larry needs them playing "the right way." But i'm not sure he's been given enough time to plant that thought in the rest of his teams' minds

FlappingMangera
I've got faith. They still have time to gel and i think if anyone is going to bring this team together its going to be Larry Brown. Its more exciting this way anyhow, i like watching competition, not watching blowouts

ImAPirate
i was with the pistons all the way cool

well, i am a detroiter... big grin

FlappingMangera
ImAPirate, i hope that means that you're with USA all the way.

ImAPirate
oh yea, i'm with USA all the way cool

Myth
They still aren't looking too hot.

FlappingMangera
yeah, i mean, they aren't a cohesive team yet, but that will just take a little time, I think they'll get it together. All these games will be on TV, right?

scott hiwersh
NBC is hosting the majority of the events... They have 24/7 coverage from what I hear... There should be a schedule on their site, http://www.nbcolympics.com/results/index.html

wuTa
i cant remember who argintiana played this morning but that game was awesome....ginobli tore it up and that buzzer beater he made to win it was crazy

i dont even want to mention the US game but losin to a team you completey dominated a week ago is just ridicolous....the whole team looked like absoulty shit...too much hesitation no defense at all...and like 4/25 from the arc...that arc isnt even regulation...how the hell are they ****in up THIS bad...get it togethor bitches!!! you lose again and its over

Sith Master X
Yeah, that was quite pathetic. They killed Puerto Rico a week ago, only in to get their asses handed to them in return. It doesn't make sense. I could only imagine the frustration from Larry Brown.

The other thing that totally killed was the missed free throughs and all of the ridiculous turnovers.

Myth
It was 3 for 25 threes and we beat them by 25 people without Iverson, Lebron, and Amare last week. That was awful.

charlit
omg new zealand actually only lost to italy by 2 points that is so awesome!!!!

FlappingMangera
USA boys just beat Greece, barely, but still a win. I think they can still pull it together.

Myth
Carmelo Anthony is being a little *****. He keeps whining about playing time and now he hasn't made a shot in the last 2 games. Lebron did well today. 5 for 6 shooting with 3 fast break dunks in a row. He didn't get much time either and was replaced by Iverson when we were doing well (then Greece started catching up once Iverson replaced LJ).

wuTa
you cant blame that on iverson.....duncans fouls trouble is what allowed Greece to comeback

Myth
Not really to blame Iverson, I'm just saying Lebron shouldn't have been taken out. Besides, that was before Duncan really started getting in trouble with fouls.

ragesRemorse
Usa lost to puerto rico LOL. this is my favorite story from the olympics in a long time. I mean they diddnt just lose, they were spanked. They nearly lost to greece aswell. LOL Dream team my ass. I hope they lose every other game they play. Professional athletes should not be allowed to participate in any olympic event, so im glad they lost, and even more happy that the williams ogre lost her little tennis match.

Myth
Why not let pros participate? Its dumb that that is a problem. Its a competition between the countries best... but not the best of there best? WTF is that?

Linkalicious
I gotta agree with Myth on that one. Other countries have been using their professional athletes.

Soccer (football) players have been playing on their nation's team for a long time. And if you've ever watched Primiership compared to MLS...then the difference is the same as if we were to place our Olympic Qualifying team with all the real stars vs. the rest of the world.

Why do you think USA sucks so bad at soccer? It's because the Euro and South American teams play the "best of their best" and that's just more than USA can handle.

So why not do it in basketball?

I'm just sad to see our inability to hit simple shots. Richard Jefferson is the biggest disappointment of all. I saw him passing on open jumpers all game, just because he missed his first couple...

wuTa
plus the rest of the word as improved so much in basketball its sick.....if we had college players in there like before the dream team we would get killed

Linkalicious
Yup, i didn't even comment on the number of pro players (or in Puerto's case....EX-pro's) that play for their countries. If I was a professional athlete, there would be no talking me out of going to the Olympics.

I would rather win a gold medal than a championship (but just barely)

wuTa
right now i would definetly want to play for a gold medal over a championship....with the way the whole world against your team winning a gold....man i would live for playin against that kind of venom

Linkalicious
that's why i enjoyed being a Laker fan this year on the site. I loved watching you guys talk crap because I thought we were going to win. I was ready to be the biggest prick. sad

Damn Detriot!! mad

Myth
I don't think that we should use pros just because others do, I think we should let them compete because there is no reason to say they can't. An american is an american whether he is pro or not so why say they can't do the olympics just because they are "too good." Being the best is what the Olympics are about so why wouldn't we be able to send our best.

DanZeke25
did the USA already play today.... if not wut time do they play?

Myth
Yes. They won by ten. All I know about it is that it looked better, and they were led by Duncan, Iverson, and Marion. I hear Lebron was the one who sparked their 4th quarter run as well.

wuTa
thats bullshit i missed that game...you'd think they would have a schedule when they're playin

Myth
I don't think it was shown on my tv stations. THats just what I read.

Into the Void
Do I have to...? Yes I do!

PUERTO RICCCOOOOOOOO!!!!!! HANDED THE U.S. THEIR ASSES! EAT THOSE 19 POINTS BIOTCHES!

I know it's kinda late, but I haven't been here for a while, and it feels good saying that.

wuTa
yea and look at us now....losing to lithuain......why dont you kick my dog while your at it

FlappingMangera
::kick::

i'm all but ready to give up on the usa boys, at least its some good basketball to watch

wuTa
nah...im not even close to giving up on them....that was just an old sportscenter/cam neely commerical i decided to throw in there

Into the Void
Lithuainia would've handed the U.S. their asses too. 17 3 pointers!? C'mon, not many teams can withstand that kind of shooting. It takes some hardcore defense to stop that.

Myth
These games are depressing.

Neo_Version 7
Ohh...I got to watch U.S. vs. Angolia yesterday. Great game!

I'll try to upload the pics I took of the game asap.

FlappingMangera
def try to upload those pics, i'd love to see them

wuTa
un-****in real....UN-F*CKIN REAL....no heart....absoutly no heart sad

Neo_Version 7
Sorry to disapoint you guys but The "Dream Team" lost a semi-final match to Argentina.

It was torture to watch.

DanZeke25
I missed that game. But i saw the bronze game. Hey at least we got a bronze. It would've been horrible if we didnt even get a medal.

Linkalicious
i would NEVER call that team a dream team. The team that went to qualifying was a dream team. Those guys were just a joke.

International basketball sucks my ass

Myth
I like the idea that was presented on ESPN. Don't send NBA players or college players. Send streetballers like the And 1 guys. The idea would make it so they get as confused with our style of play as NBA players get with international ball. Then if we don't get gold, we don't have to claim it was our best guys and we get a show. We could just laugh at how many times we can make then fall to the court on the dribble. It would definitely increase the ratings on TV as well. The only downfall I see would be other countries hating us more because then its just getting cocky again.

FlappingMangera
Hahaha, that would be hilarious, i hope we can bring the gold back next time. I actually like how good the rest of the world has gotten, makes the games more exciting to watch. I mean it wasnt' that fun to watch the first dream team just steam roll other teams

Myth
Thats why I'm with the streetball idea. Doesn't mean they will win for sure, but I want exciting games without risking the pride of the NBA dominance.

Linkalicious
streetballers would get ruined by international players. Streetballers don't even play basketball, all they play is African Handball. they have no idea what the phrase "double-dribble" or "travel" means.

I think we should send an actual team to the Olympics. This years Detroit Pistons could have beat our "Dream Team." Not because of talent, but because they all played their roles...and did their jobs.

Most important, they played defense. I think we should send a team of athletes that have been playing together for months or years......just like European countries send.

Myth
That would be good but the problem with that is there is Olympic qualifying the year before so the team doesn't necessarily stick together for that span of time.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.