Dallas or Michigan?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

lil bitchiness
At the end of my second year in Criminology, I have applied to go on a ''placement'' in America, either Eastern Michigan University or Dallas.

Some people who are also going on a placement in America are going for an actual placement, i.e placement of work there, for few months. Myself and few others are going to an actual university to study for this time. This was the choice. We could either do a 'placement' i.e. ''work'' in a field of your study, or do a module i.e study. We could substitute one module here for the one we're are to do in America.

Of course, I picked the study of a module rather than work.

Now, the other half of my Criminology degree is actualy Sociology sleepy yah, i know, and instead of substituting a Criminology module for the one in America, I have decided to substitute a Sociology module, because it would be such a shitty module to do...its called

''Critical Social Analysis''

Ugh, i get a headache just by thinking about what i would have to do there. I am really good at all my criminology stuff, and substituting a criminology module would suck for me.

So the problem starts here. I would like to go to EMU rather than Dallas, because

a) I will be all alone in Dallas (no people i know or have talked to before are going)
b) Dallas is far far away down south
c) Some weirdos are going What the f**k? Whom i dont know, since they are doing a degree in business or something

My problem is that, because I substituted shitty sociology module, it is in my ''academic intereset''rolleyes1 to do a module in Economics at Dallas University. no expression

I however dont want to do this. I want to do another Crimiology or even a sociology one, but at EMU! not Dallas!! Dallas is where business studies people go...cry and some other people from my course ive never heard of. roll eyes (sarcastic) There are quite a few people going to Dallas (mostly business studies and economic studies people) and of course...me.

I have few choices:

- I can either risk it all by sending my application at the last day available and pray that the Dallas places will be full so they let me go to MEU?

- Blatently handing in my application for the Michigen alone and risk not getting in...maybe messed unsure about it though

- Pick another module to substitute and go to Michigen no problemo (even though might not be the greatest advantage in my academic view sad )

- Just go to Dallas, do the module in Economics with bunch of business studies people, be alone and miserable for few months and come back home

What do you guys think i should do?sad

Ive been to a meeting today with my tutor which was ment to solve the problem, but it didnt, we just went in circles.

Darth Revan
Eew Dallas...

Ok first of all how long do you have before you have to turn in the application? If you decide to go to Michigan, how great is the chance that you won't get in?

Personally I'd go to Michigan whatever it took... But don't listen to me when I say that 'cause getting the education you want is more important than avoiding Dallas.

Oh and uh... Doesn't Tex live in Dallas? wink

lil bitchiness
Well, my tutor said I have another week or less, even. He says I should have made up my mind by monday cry

They need to know what my choices for the next year are, so they can start allocating people to modules they will be doing.

If I apply just for Michigan...I dont know....the thing is, Im not going there to work, but study, so i guess i have more chance, but the competition is still great.

Ive looked arround EMU website, and it looks quite nice. Besides, 2 of my friends are going to EMU and people going to Dallas i know no one! On top of miserable not knowing anyone situation, i will have to do a module in Economic, which really sucks...

Yeah, Tex lives in Dallas, him and 1,188,580 other people stick out tongue

Royal_Knight
compared to Phoenix, Arizona's population of 1,321,045 stick out tongue

*Cough*sorry lil b*Cough*

Good Luck Millawink

Darth Revan
Is it possible to register for both? Cos you could do that, and if you get into both go to Michigan, or just go to whichever you do get into? Though I assume you've thought of that and it won't work for some reason...

lil bitchiness
Thanks John happy

DR> Well no not really. My application is for one or the other. Thats why its so sucky. sad

Darth Revan
Wow that does suck sad

Guess I shouldn't be complaining about my English class...

Well... Not sure what to tell you... You've probably heard this a million times, but I'll say it anyways--just do what feels right and it will all work out happy

VallejoKid707
Uhh, Go to Michigan, it sounds better.

badkittykitty
I hate to say to say it but I would choose this option~

Just go to Dallas, do the module in Economics with bunch of business studies people, be alone and miserable for few months and come back home

because you don't want to go back wards in your academics and also you may meet lots of new people and have quite a adventure.

yerssot
I think that when you have decisions to make like these, you can ask for advice but not take what people say here as a rule... kinda sucks the fun out of life if you don't have surprises wink

Fire
DO what you feel is best, go to where you think you'll be happiest, uni should be about the ppl you meet and experiences you have and not about courses (they only determine those other two)

Linkalicious
depends on who you want to be closest to.

BKK or Tex.

Ohio isn't very far from Michigan.
Texas...well it's Texas! Aside from Tex himself...i have nothing good to say about that state.

Darth Revan
But she's going to be in school, meaning that she probably won't have much free time to go drive a few states over and track BKK down roll eyes (sarcastic)

However I agree about Texas yes

Tex
I dont see what the major problemzilla is! schmoll

If I had a horrible brain tumor, and the only doctor who could save me was in Michigan.....well I'd just croak! schmoll

You can either come to glamorous Dallas and frolic with the fabulous gays (2nd largest gay population in the US) zorro

http://pro.corbis.com/images/US-610-0102.jpg?size=67&uid={7a8f0dfc-ede0-451f-9b94-53f1ae5e1aa6}

http://pro.corbis.com/images/US-610-0104.jpg?size=67&uid={059ba9f5-26e3-4434-b23c-4a7f8935a366}

raver

Or spend your months in Michigan with Eminem's momma.
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040419/capt.dt10704192134.eminems_mom_carjacked_dt107.jpg

schmoll

Tptmanno1
lol

Darth Revan
no wonder he turned out the way he did with a mother like that...

silver_tears
Tex I luv you laughing out loud

Milla I say follow what you think is best for your academics smart

And you being the great person that you are love you'll make tons of new friends, and it's a totally new experience even if you are on your own, just more freedom big grin

lil bitchiness
You guys, thanks so much for all your support/advice. happy

I handed in my application normaly, and all I have to do is wait right now. My tutor said (bless him) that there could be a possibility of me choosing a placement, due to my academic achivmenet,smart but he also said not to hold my breath, because its not for definite, and it will also depend on how i do on my exams that are coming now! big grin

I hope all works out for EMU, and if doesnt, then I will just go to Dallas.

All my friends said the same, if I do go to Dallas, i should just have a good time and bring a lot of piccys!smile

Cyclops
Lils...

You will be fine no matter where you go. I have the utmost faith in you. And you had better have a lot of pics! mad

You are a bright and dedicated young woman. No matter what you do, and where you are... I know you will be successful.

Jedi Priestess
Dallas isnt bad........Ive been there several times....and its warm in the winter! eek! well warmer than Michigan....you gotta go where you would benefit the most I think.

Agent Elrond
It's a little late, but I say Michigan. It's close to me, so in 2 or 3 years, if u're still there I can visit, lol. Besides, Texas is Bush country, and worse, tex

Linkalicious
why don't you just say. I get to choose between

the crap of America vs. the crap of America.

Try a nice location like miami or california. Atleast we have stuff worth seeing. Ooops...pardon me. The Alamo is such a must see...

Forcizzle
i live 5 hours away from dallas big grin

Jedi Priestess
er that would be Kansas where I live......AKA hell sad

Agent Elrond
New York's worse. Trust me

lil bitchiness
Thanks guys! happy

I still dont know the result...I will know in September/October time....sad

If I go to Dallas, i guess its only 6 weeks I'll live, and if I go to Michigan then...even better, i will be visitng BadKitty! happy

N0SFERATU
Don't go to Dallas, it's too close to STexy

wuTa
hey that crap of america kicked your teams ass this year

Linkalicious
and they failed to make the finals the 3 years before that. When Detroit wins 3 years in a row....i'll give you my number...then you can run it all you want.

wuTa
still livin in the past huh?...the lakers havnt won a championship in two years...yea they had a great run...HAD....until your teams beats mine the "crap of america" than you can talk your sh*t...until than i think you should worry about signing kobe and vlade

Silver Stardust
EMU is a lovely school, I visited there last year when I was applying to colleges, I think you'd like it there a lot.

Plus I'm only a few hours drive away from there yes

Linkalicious
Get a beach. stick out tongue

SeptemberRain
GO to EMU, i'll be close. I am going To WMU (Western Michigan University)

Fëanor
Dallas...that way all sense of stereotype you may have of the american cowboy will be realized for what it is...

no one edited this post on 7-60-10 at 10:84 pm

lil bitchiness
Wow, If I make it to EMU, I'll be close to a lot of people! happy Nice!

Darth Revan
Miami sucks messed

Linkalicious
dude...you're 16. Of course Nickelodeon Studios and Epcot Center suck. it's all about South Beach....

(yes i know they are in orlando stick out tongue )

Fëanor
...but not to me sad

lil bitchiness
eek!

Ok update.

I actually applied for Michigan and i got the chance to go! eek!happy im super happy.

However theres a slight problem, only 6 people can go and there are 12 currently wanting to go to Michigan, so im kinda fighting for a place right now, however, looking at my grades my lecturer said there shouldnt be a problem. I just hope i get it now sad

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.