SIDEKICK: A New Superhero Movie

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

victoryman
There's a new, original, totally kick ass superhero movie shooting in Toronto, Canada, called "SIDEKICK". It's an indie production through and through, but it's got some pretty decent name talent involved and a great freakin' twist to boot.

Here's the synopsis:

Mild-mannered computer consultant Norman Neale has two great loves in this cruel world: Comic books and his office's effervescent main receptionist, Andrea Hicks. Norman spends his days dreaming of Andrea from the isolation of his cubicle and his nights dreaming of fighting crime from the solitude of his apartment.

Then one fateful day, Norman discovers that a fellow co-worker, Victor Ventura, a swaggering, pretty-boy salesman, has slight telekinetic abilities beyond his understanding. After discussing his mind-blowing discovery with his only friend Chuck, a know-it-all comic book store owner, Norman comes to the outlandish conclusion that he should train Victor to become a real-life superhero by helping him refine and expand his extraordinary ability. Norman envisions an exciting new future for himself battling the city's criminal elements as Victor's faithful sidekick.

But as Victor grows in power Norman is faced with the heartbreaking realization that not all people with extraordinary abilities are meant to be heroes.

So what's the twist? Well...instead of being your typical origin of a superhero film, SIDEKICK is...get this...an origin of a supervillain film. Kinda like how Lex Luthor became Lex Luthor.

KEN LASHLEY, the awesome comic book artist behind such MARVEL comics as X-Calibre (Age of Apocalypse) and Spiderman: Team-Up featuring the X-men, makes a cameo appearance as himself in the film. His scene is played opposite DANIEL BALDWIN, the Baldwin brother from Homicide: Life on the Streets and John Carpenter's Vampires, who has a principal role in the film playing CHUCK, a sarcastic, eccentric comic book store owner.

SIDEKICK finishes shooting in a couple weeks. Look for it to be ready in the early fall. If you get the chance, check out the website. Lots of awesome pictures and a daily Film Diary written by cast and crew that's totally hilarious.

The website is www sidekickmovie dot com. Check it out.

For more info on what Ken Lashley's doing now, check out his website for Draxhall (also a dot com).

victoryman
Just a quick update:

SIDEKICK my "indie" superhero movie is now in its final stages of post-production. VFX, SFX and score are all being worked on as I write this post. If anyone gets the chance, check out the website - we just recently introduced our movie poster and posted a short teaser trailer.

Enjoy.

www sidekickmovie dot com

FeceMan
This looks like an opportunity for humor.

Havoc470
it sounds pretty dumb, the cliche daydreaming character who likes a girl he's probably afriad of talking to, then his daydreams become real and he goes through all this crap, and most likely ends with him either being crazy or he gets the chick at the end

victoryman
actually the movie doesn't end like that at all. but that's alright.

the thing is, when someone decides to make a movie and put it out there for public comsumption, they have to be prepared for the inevitable - that some people will have some nasty things to say about it (whether their critiques are warranted or not).

i'm really just a guy who loves superhero movies. and i was resigned to the fact that i'd likely never get a chance to write for any of the big franchises no matter how much i wanted to. so i decided to make my own superhero movie. admittedly, i don't have the budget of spiderman. but for a budget my size, i think the movie's got some pretty decent kickass effects. and maybe, just maybe IF this movie is released and IF people like it and IF someone at a big studio takes notice, then maybe i will get a chance to work on one of those movies i always dreamed of working on. either that, or i'll get to make a sequel to sidekick. worst case scenerio, it flops completely and i just spent a year and a half of my life working on something that was a lot of fun with lots of cool people. as far as learning experiences go, not too shabby.

Rhino
this movie sounds okay

Magee
Hey Victory Man, are u the producer or something? Or were u just quoting?

Havoc470
i'm guessing he's the director of it, anyway i guess i'll check it out if you say the movie's original

just saw the trailer, didn't really explain much of the movie, but it looks alright, it looks like something along the lines of Grayson mixed with Unbreakable

victoryman
i'm the writer-producer. a good friend of mine who's a huge comic book and superhero movie fan, too, directed it.

it's hard enough to find an audience for an indie movie, even harder when it falls within the franchise driven superhero genre.

thanks for giving it a chance.

Havoc470
how is it gonna be released? like will it be released on dvd come fall, i dont know how these things work

victoryman
BEYOND SUPER BIG NEWS!!!

SIDEKICK IS COMING TO DVD IN THE U.S.A.!!!

That's right, on June 10th, Warner Home Video will be releasing our dark, awesome, cool, original superhero movie in the good ole U.S. of A. I can't believe it. This is truly a dream come true. It's been 4 years of hard work (honestly, check out my posts!!!), but it was all worth it!

It's already available on Amazon.com for pre-order. And you can watch the trailer on the Warner Bros. site!

Check out that DVD Box-Art!

MORE BIG NEWS: SIDEKICK has also been picked up in a whole bunch of international territories including Israel, India, Russia and the Middle East.

For more info, check out the official site: www (dot) sidekickmovie (dot) com

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.