Maia and Valar: well you know all that stuff

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

MorgulLord
I really need help understanding all this Maia and Valr and stuff, I have no idea whats goign on sad Sauron suggested me trying enclopedia of arda but its to confusing, can anyone explain in "simple" terms what it all is, sorry to be a bother, i knwo theres prbably been threads like htis before, but i knwo you all so intellegent in LOTR, wheras I only some thinsg (mainly Witch King stick out tongue) embarrasment

Pweeeeeassssseeeee help me !

sauron
the ainur...spirits if you will

split into

the vala and the aia the valar the more important ones

the valar were like 'gods on earth' who watched over it etc etc

and the maia there slaves..well servants....helpers lol yes

its hard to explain

MorgulLord
riiiiiite. Confusing. will i find all this in The Silmarillion?

shadowy_blue
Well...yeah...

The Ainur are the Powers of the World.

Like sauron said, they are split into Valar and Maiar. The Valar are the greatest of the Ainur. They are the most powerful. The Maiar are considered Ainur too but they have lesser powers than the Valar. Again, like sauron said, they only aid the Valar with their motives. They are helpers though they are powerful too. The Maiar also have subdivisions, and some of them are the Balrogs and Wizards, so Gandalf and Saruman are Maiar too. smile Sauron is a Maia too.

It's like this, in terms of power:

Eru himself
The Valar (Annatar especially, they are the greatest of the Valar)
The Maiar
Other spirits

The Encyclopedia of Arda is not that confusing. It's just that they have so many names that it seems like they are so many of them, but no. It's actually quite easy to understand once you get the hang of it. smile

shadowy_blue
Yes. You will find it in The Silmarillion. Though to be honest, I can say that I'm more confused with the description in Sil than in the EoA. The description in The Silmarillion about the Valar and their powers is excellent and I fully understand it but it confuses me sometimes of the divisions and subdivisions. stick out tongue But read it, there's more to it than the Ainur, it's a very excellent book.

MorgulLord
riite, so let me get this straight.

Ther are these Power thngs (people, or spirits?) called Ainur (how many?), and these are split into two section, Mair andValar, Valar being the strongest, and mair sort of the helpers to the Valar, but still considered Ainur.

OK, i think i got that, but whose Eru?

sorry to bother you guys like this sad

Orlando Bloom03
I'm totally confused!!??

MorgulLord
lol, so was I, thats why i started this thread.

btw, cute sig big grin

shadowy_blue
Eru is Iluvatar, The One, he did everything. He's the God. big grin

MorgulLord
Oh ye, I recognise his name, he was an elf wasnt he?

p.s (slighly off topic) What was that elf name was really high and mighty who foaugh at thr Last Alliance? you see him for oen shot on FOTR

MorgulLord
please answer above question sad

Exa
Its Aratar or something like that I think not annatar which is a name of Sauron in the second age lol

No Eru wasnt
He was just Eru the One
and nothing else big grin

And the elf you mean is I think Gilgalad

and as shadowyblue I think already said there were 15 Valar in the beginning (8 or something of them Aratar) but Melkor wasnt counted among them anymore later so 14 (see numbers/thread big grin )

sauron
annatar was saurons name he took to trick gilgalad...but didnt so he went to erigion..it means lord of gifts

aratar is the word...the eight high valaar smile

MorgulLord
oh? Exa sorta lost me in hers messed But anyway, who was Gilgalad, and why was he so good and great? he mustve been old.

sauron
gil galad oh well

(exa...i waited a week, get ready!!!)

gil galad was an elven king
of him the harpers sadly sing
the last whos realm was fair and free
between the mountains and the sea

(your turn)

Exa
Lol

Gilgalad was the last hhigh kingo f the elves in middleearth... and elrond was his herald big grin
yes hes old indeed... his father was (if i remember correctly) Fingon the HIgh King of the Noldor who was the son of FIngolfin son of Finwe and brother of Feanor the Great... erm... well... yes big grin big grin at least he was old and wise and mighty and everything stick out tongue
He also had two of the Elven RIngs of Power, but he gave one to Cirdan (who gave it to gandalf later) and one to Elrond.
He lived in Lindon and already made allies against Sauron with the numenoreans

his sword was long his lance was keen
his shining helm afar was seen
the countless stars of heavens field
were mirrored in his silver shield...

Peregrin_Took
woah, confusing

sauron
but long ago he rose away a
nd where he dwelleth none can say
for into darkness fell his star
in mordor, where the shadows are

sauron
heres the elf himself....mr gillllll galllaaaadddddd

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f34/t29401.html

Exa
its "for into darkness fell his star" big grin stick out tongue *claps*

MorgulLord
lol, you guys must do realllllly well in hsitory, if you can remeber all this stuff, and it NEVE really happened! Whoa, can u do my homewrok for me big grin

shadowy_blue
LOL... laughing dude!! My bad!! laughing Yeah, it's Aratar..laughing

Nice to see you back, Exa. big grin

shadowy_blue
Just take it seriously, devote some time to it, read it with all your heart and mind, focus on it and don't let your brain drift off to somewhere while reading it, be patient, ask questions if you have to to fully understand it, read it over and over, take notes if you have to (I swear I really did this the first time I read "The Silmarillion"wink. Nothing's impossible about this. wink

Fëanor

MorgulLord
riiiite. I think ill try and read it, but im just startin Rotk (not first time I read it) so i think when ive finished LOTR, ill start with silmarillion, go on 2 hobbit then do LOTR, shoudl be. errr interesting!

Ill get back to you wen ive finished whole thing (expected date 2065) stick out tongue

sauron
silmarillion

the first day i got it i read 90 pages...then school turned into a ***** and it took me three month to finish

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.