The Dagor Dagorath

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Thorondor
ok i'm a little fuzzy on this can someone give me a HUGELY detailed explanation big grin would be great thanks smile

sauron
tolkien never wrote a hugely detailed explantation
i would tell you all i know
but exa told me
and the way she tells it is amazing because she talks about the sun being drowned and stars cast down and its just wow

*calls exa* ooooh eeexxxxxaaaa!

Exa
Hugely detailed? Ok wait a moment
first some links stick out tongue

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28126

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25758

Detailed description is difficult as there is no real text about the Dagor Dag(o)rath, only bits and pieces spread of several different books
*starts writing*

Thorondor
i said Dagorath

sauron
yeah
it can be either dagorath or dagrath....
same way that melkor can also be melko

anyway i would visit the second link,
although exa is typing away as we speak answering this question so theres really no need stick out tongue

Exa
In the Unfinished Tales Tolkien also writes Dagorath, but the grammatically correct form would be Dagrath cuz the word comes from *dakr and the o was only added when a lot of final consonants became syllabic in Sindarin... it also remains the same in plural (while other vowels are changed) ... and in "Dagrath" a new final syllable appears so that the gr can stay together

Exa

sauron
fi/eonwe was kinda silly i yhink
he destroyed the world to kill melkor but killed everyone else too stick out tongue

Thorondor
great explanation exa stick out tongue

but how did he destroy the world blink

Lurik
Dagor Dagorath=End of the World

Exa
I have ... absolutely ... no idea big grin
But I guess it has something to do with this strange Celeg Aithorn

Dagor Dagrath = "Battle of Battles" wink

sauron
he cleaved it

so....cut it in half lol stick out tongue
god knows

hehe pun intended

Kitoky
So is it Dagor Dagorath or Dagor Dagrath? Because I've been saying Dagorath...XD

sauron
i say dagorath
exa says dagrath
i say potato
she says poh tate ohs! boil em mash em stick em in a stew

its all good

Exa
laughing laughing

wink

Fëanor
i believe Christopher Tolkien is lookin' to hire Exa on his next project of middle earth....

sauron
thats bull, well all know that chris tolkien is indeed exa

whoah-am i gay?

Discos
according to the encyclopedia of Arda:

The prophesied final battle between the forces of light and darkess, called the Last Battle, in which Morgoth will return and suffer his final and ultimate defeat.

shadowy_blue

Thorondor
i'll read that tomorrow lol im to tired just now stick out tongue

sauron
shadowy eek!

my lord praise

Exa
Oooh that's where this quote comes from eek!

(found it ages ago in an article on annalsofarda.dk in the encaclopaedia and never knew what it was about... liked it so much that now I even have it printed on a tshirt in sarati laughing out loud )

There's also a little info bout it in the Lost Tales part 1 in the last paragraph of chapter IX; and in the "The End of Tales"-chapter in LTII.
I think the Lost Tales are the book where most of the info-fragments bout the Dagor Dagrath come from though there are also bits and pieces of information in some other volumes of the HME, like in the Athrabeth
And a little in the Unfinished Tales
But nearly nothing detailed is found in the Silmarillion

shadowy_blue
Yeah...I got it from Annals of Arda too! eek! I loved it so much that it was never erased from my memory. laughing out loud There's just something about how the prophecy was arranged, kinda eerie, and sad, and overwhelming, everything. I had mixed emotions when I first read it. big grin

Exa
eek! lol
Fascinating

Was exactly the same for me laughing out loud

I totally loved the whole text when I first read it ... especially these last four lines, I also had them in my signature in an other forum until yesterday laughing out loud though I'm still not sure where exactly the lines come from - Lost Tales?

sauron
they come from the pen of tolkien smilestick out tongue

Exa
Lol I also think so

Though I wasn't really sure about that... it sounds nice, but somehow not like Tolkien, at least not like later Tolkien

"Thus everything dies, but only mortals die forever, the others watch and wait eternally in the shadows" - isn't that kinda the opposite of what Tolkien writes? (at least concerning the Last Battle)

... Mortals die and leave the world all the time,

but when the World is destroyed everything dies... but it's the elves that die forever, being bound to the circles of the dying earth, while men are independant, their spirits leave the world and maybe find a new one

The other quote would only be true for the time the world lasts and only regarding Middleearth itself

So if this quote comes from Tolkien, I doubt that it's sensible to use it as a summary of the last battle

sauron
we all make mistakes exa smile

Exa
Tolkien doesn't shifty

well, nearly

sauron
oh doesnt he

well any excuse for me to drag up n old thread

which i made

Discos
you hush lordy lol

nice description shadowy, its been informative, is that what he predicted before it actually happened.....the fall of morgoth?

sauron
he predicts alot of stuff

like when feanor and his posse go across the sea he says 'so it is doomed'
and everyones like blink and he is like not telling!

Fëanor
laughing ...you said it stick out tongue

sauron
shifty

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.