Subliminal Messages in music

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

moonwalker741
i saw this thing on ebaumsworld...

http://ebaumsworld.com/britneysubliminal.html

....a brittney spears song played backwards and it had a messed up message...do u no bout any other songs with messages??

Ikobe
watch the movie "Josie and the Pussycats". Now that's subliminal messaging for real. *laughs*

burlyman
Stairway to Heaven's satanic verse evil face

big gay kirk
If you get the vinyl of "Abbey Road" by the Beatles, and play the runout backwards, it says "Paul McCartney is as dead as a dodo" in a scouse accent....

lil bitchiness
mad It is not!!

cry

nazgulinthedark
i didnt see how that made it backwards confused

Red Superfly
Whenever I hear any of Busted or McFly's songs, I always have the urge to kill myself. That's subliminal on the highest level.

Darth Revan
laughing out loud

Darth Jello
all of these are coincidental or fake. the only real backwards messages were purposely etched in to several weird al singles, all of which were either recipes or funny satanic messages.

the whole contraversy was bullshit made up by the religious right. don't believe everything you hear.

total metalhead
^True

Allthough there were those kids who were apparently inspired by some of Marilyn Manson's lyrics to murder a nun... actually I don't even remember whether that story is true or not messed

lil bitchiness
Bleh, thats bullshit!! I've been listening to Manson for years now, and im perfectly alright. *eye twitches*

RebelPhoenix
There's a band called Psywarfare - apparantly, it's specifically designed to experiment with different frequencies in music which can affect us more in terms of being subliminal then mere messages heard backwards on songs. I have a site with their CD's on it that's been waiting forever for me to buy one, this is a good reminder!

Here's an excerpt from an interview:

http://www.holyterror.com/aversionline/index.html?/aversionline/2000/interrogation/int-integpsy.html

KMC
On Sgt. Pepper it says "Paula is dead" or something like that.

Kate xx

Darth Revan
I've heard about that bass thing, but you also have to play it really f*cking loud to get any effect. He's definitely exaggerating in that interview. I read a short magazine article about it, and what it said was that if you turn the bass up in one of those freaky huge custom car stereos that they build just to have competitions with, and you have the volume REALLY REALLY LOUD, you can kill insects or small rodents. I doubt it could kill a person.

Darth Revan
Oh remember from the Simpsons "Yvan eht nioj"? laughing

amity75
If you play smells llike teen spirit backwards it reads out a recipe for spaghetti bolognese sauce. This is not a joke.

Darth Revan
How is that even possible?

RebelPhoenix
Yeah I did think that myself and that if it was really dangerous then it wouldn't be sold to the public. However, infrasonic frequencies aren't necessarily the bass sounds he's talking about and were supposedly used in the past in covert circumstances for numerous reasons.

Darth Revan
Yeah, I have heard that the police sometimes use sound at certain frequencies to control riots and such. But it wouldn't hemorrhage a person's internal organs. It would, at most, mess up the fluid in your inner ear and make you fall down or possibly pass out.

RebelPhoenix
^Yes exactly - it's more generally used to disorientate and make you off balance - the using as a killer weapon is more for movies wink but probably not impossible messed

Other uses are/were probably espionage, spying, intercepting, psycological testing/control (individual not mass) in institutions under the label 'medical treatment/clinical trials' etc

Darth Revan
Yeah, I know they can do that. I've even had a mild version of that before, I was in a friends car, he had a subwoofer, and there was this "song" that was pretty much just a single pitch that was way down low. He turned the stereo way up and I remember having this slightly dizzy feeling... I turned the volume down and it went away.

As for killing somebody with a sound, I bet they'll be able to do it someday, but probably not in the near future. Even if they do, it would be a really dangerous thing to use as a weapon, because sound travels out from a source in all directions... So you're also hitting yourself with it...

Darth Jello
everyone and everything has a resonance frequency, if it is played with enough energy, that object and person will shatter.

Ninjamaster
I used to follow that shit when i was younger. Freaked me out. Watched a doc called 'Rock's Primal Scream' it featured the big bands and stars of the eighties. KISS,ACDC,Black Sabbath,Van Halen, Michael Jackson's Thriller hell there was even a scene from the movie Exorcist!

Marilyn manson rocks man i think he purges my infantile demins with his savage lust. He's a friggin' prowler on a mission definetly not godsent.
Tra la la la la
it's my party i can die if i want to.....

tabby999
remeber the law suits against Juda Priest for the "subliminal messages" off the Stained Class album??? bloody morons. oh and slayers lawsuit about the guys who killed and raped the corpse of a teen chick because they thought that would get slayers aproval and there band would be succesfull

Ninjamaster
Nah I missed that one how bad was it expand on it pls GIVE NOW!!

RebelPhoenix
The fact that they killed and raped her was incredibly more then bad enough.

Df02
am i the only person worried by this quote lol? confused

Darth Revan
don't forget:

Everything has been said before
Nothing left to say anymore
When it's all the same
You can ask for it by name

Babble, Babble, *****, *****
Rebel, Rebel, Party, Party
Sex, sex, sex, and don't forget the violence
Blah, blah, blah
Got your lovey-dovey sad and lonely
Stick your stupid slogan in
Everybody sing along
Babble, Babble, *****, *****
Rebel, Rebel, Party, Party
Sex, sex, sex, and don't forget the violence
Blah, blah, blah
Got your lovey-dovey sad and lonely
Stick your stupid slogan in
Everybody sing

ARE YOU MOTHERF*CKIN' READY?!!!!
For the new shit?
Stand up and admit, tomorrow's never coming
This is the new shit
Stand up and admit
Do we get it? NO!
Do we want it? YEAH!
This is the new shit
Stand up and admit

StinkFist462
pink floyd - empty spaces ... you can hear it if u play it backwards ... something like " you have found the hidden messege( and about 2 more sentences i cant remember ) "

big gay kirk
Like guns, you mean, or petrol, or rat poison...

big gay kirk
We did an experiment at school... beat a drum in synch with a persons heart beat... keep in rhythm for a few seconds, then speed up... the persons heart keeps pace with the drum... for a short while, anyway... apparently its to do with sympathetic resonance... you can use the same trick to make a violin sound like its playing itself....

Darth Jello
let's not forget the west memphis 3, that's some real religious right bullshit

Darth Revan
if you play a harmonic on a stringed instrument (cello, violin, viola, bass) (a harmonic being one of a series of pitches that, for some reason, can be played by just touching the string rather than holding it down all the way), and you let go with your left hand but keep bowing, the same note will keep playing for a few seconds afterwards

dean7879
use the software soundforge to listen to songs backwards...i did and i found some very interseting messages when i reversed the songs

finti
and another person would probably found out different thing than what you did on the excact same line

Kaleanae
http://www2.memlane.com/jmilner/stairwaybackwards.htm ????

lil bitchiness
Its just a lot of jibberish....

What is it with people and their obsession with satanic verses in Stairway to Heaven....

Thats one of my favourite songs of all time...am i going to hell?

Kaleanae
Yeah, I really don't get what they're saying messed
I listened over and over and I didn't get it or heard anything weird but... I don't know and I don't care, I also still like the song besides, the song is about Lilith

And what do hidden messages really do?
http://www.wootang.net/backmask/classicrock.html ... has a lot of song with "hidden messages" hehehe

lil bitchiness
Lilith big grin a female demon....i've seen a lot of artistic interpretations of her.

Darth Jello
again, it's religious right bullshit. I know, most of those wastes of sperm and egg live 100 miles from my house. focus on the family, the call themselves.

Sauron
meh, what about those guys who killed themselves beause in one ozzy osbourne song (suicide solution?) ozzy was playing with the effects and got a shoosh sound
they thought it was shoot

so they did

Df02
that case got thrown out of court because most of the prosecutions case rested on the lyrics "i command you to end your life" but Ozzy proved that he actually sings "i command you to enjoy life"

moonwalker741
wait is it iilegal to backmask messages?....cuz weird al did it but they were stupid messages like " boy u hav al lot of free time on ur hands"...or " satan eats cheez wizz "

Darth Jello
ok, let's see, the music that makes some kid really happy, makes him kill himself. what kind of a retard would believe in that? what can i say other than the fact that some parents are oppurtunistic scum f*cks want to find closure through making money or blaming someone. NEWSFLASH!!!! CLOSURE DOESN'T EXIST!!! I lost my mom and a loft of family members too. no magic punishment of anyone or making money is gonna make that go away. I don't nkow the details, but what do you wanna bet that that kids father beat him?

moonwalker741
i think a sign of backmask in songs jus shows u hav too much, n i meen to much free time on your hands

Darth Jello
if yuo really want to hear something, you'll hear it, whether it's there or not. psychological research has shown that any media has subliminal effects on something like one ten thousandth of a percent of the entire human population. another words, if your affected a certain way by a song or video games or tv that makes you do something bad, it's not the media, it's simply the fact that your mentally challenged.

StinkFist462
slow ... or advanced ?
like retarded or smarter than the average bear .. sort to say

Myth
You can hear "Watch for the chosen one" whispered in the song "Blind" by Korn. Its right after he says "Are you ready." You'll have to turn up the volume because its very subtle.

finti
Subliminal Messages in music, plain BS

loserib
i dont believe much in subliminal mesagges in music but i know sound can hurt you one time i was turning my p.a on and sombody had messed with the valume well when i turned it on there was this awful loud high pitch feed back that was so loud that i got dizzy and when i treid to walk my equallibream (sp) got thrown off and it felt like the ground gave way under my right foot

kman12
ok a beatles fan here to clean this up. abbey raod has the cover that is the main death clue on it (the funeral march), NO BACKWARDS RECORDINGS. if you play revolution 9 backwards you get "turn me on deadman" in a british accent. at the very end of the song im so tired when played backwards is "paul is a dead man miss him miss him." if you play the nonsense at the end of the sgt peppers album you get "we'll f@&* you like superman." and at the end of the song strawberry feilds forever you can hear john say "I buired Paul"

on a side note at the end of maybe i'm amazed, a paul mccartney solo effort, when played backwards gives you a recipe for lentil soup

big gay kirk
And, even more strangely, if you play the big Status Quo hit "Whatever you want" backwards at 78 rpm, you can hear Sir Richard Attenborough read the entire Bible in Welsh....

Deathblow
Is that really true? blink Cos I heard that mentioned on The Simpsons so naturally I thought it was a joke...

dean7879
it is not bs...its true and i even downloaded the program soundforge and played pink floyds empty spaces backwards and the words i heard when played backwards was 'you have found the hidden message'..the message was as clear as day

finti
the message is in your head not on the record

dean7879
what are u goin on about...listen to me carefully....play empty spaces backwards and u will get the message 'you have found the hidden message'...it is not on my head....try it for yourself

finti
the "subliminal messages" will differ for each person unless it is given in advanced. Then people go "thats right it does say that" ............................. it is a bunch of crap thats what it is, but for all means if you wanna belive in it go ahead

Darth Jello
dude, what the hell are you snorting? most of those are coincidental and john clearly says "cranberry sauce". not to mention that the seargent pepper runout is nonsense anyway you play it, it was recorded, sped up, chopped into pieces and rearranged, then recorded backwards.

don't tell me you believe the FBI spending half a million studying the harmfull effects of louie louie was a worthwhile thing too.

dean7879
subliminal messages are for real...bloody hell!!! cant u understand what im sayin?!!? cor blimey!!!!!!!!

Black Onyx
laughing out loud

Victor Von Doom
Playing something backwards is hardly subliminal.

Drifter101
sorry to break it to you but there is a message in stairway to heaven when a certain verse is played backwards its about satan, go to google.com and type hidden messages in music, the first result should be stairway to heaven and u'll hear it, but be warned u may never look at the song the same way again

Red Superfly
It's coincidental. Pure coincidental.

You could take any track and play it backwards and use your imagination to find some crap in the lyrics somewhere.

Here is the formula:

Power of suggestion + Coincidence + Imagination = Subliminal Messages.

Drifter101
yet the one of led zeppelin is far too much to be coincidenctal, the reverse lyrics are quite clear, except for a few words, but u clearly hear satan being dear to them making them suffer, well its on the website, others are coincidences but unfortunatly i think stairway isnt

dean7879
subliminal messages are used everywhere... in magazines, billboards etc
http://www.jkcinema.com/runflash.asp?id=legends&name=Urban%20Legends&width=550&height=400&quality=best

eggmayo
http://www3.telus.net/jefmil/stairwaybackwards.htm

KillTheLight
Just went to that site very interesting I dont believe half of the stuff but the subliminal message in the sky in the lion king made me laugh.

KillTheLight
shock

eggmayo
Weird isn't it?

Drifter101
and it just seems too much to just be some coincidence, those lyrics on the reverse are just too clear, its a shame, i really really liked that song, and wont be able to see it the same way again

eggmayo
There was a court case once, a metal band was being tried for putting a message in a song that made a guy kill himself, and in court, the lead singer told a court aide to go and buy any CD from a shop, played the record backwards, and told the judge to listen for the word 'peppermint'.
The judge heard the word and instantly freed the band.
I'm not 100% whether thats a true story or not, my Mum told me it, but maybe, I think, you heard what you are told to hear concerning these things.

Alpha Centauri
"a brittney spears song played backwards and it had a messed up message"

Surely it'd sound better played backwards.

Funny how people try to make artists look as if they are trying to get people to kill themselves so that they can't blame the morons themselves. NIN actually have a song where Trent is blatantly talking (metaphorically or not) about shooting with a big gun. What has come of it? Nothing. Because no one that listens to great music and is of stable mind, is dumb enough to go and kill themselves after being told to. The ones that do are idiots anyway.

-AC

KillTheLight
I kind of agree with that.I wish I hadnt read the lyrics that site you gave had on it, when i was playing it backwards, because I feel it may have planted those words in my head.But even without reading the lyrics the first time I heard the words 'my sweet satan' straight away.So I dont know what to believe now but I'm never going to be able to listen to that song in the same way again it just to weird. confused

eggmayo
But that verse is made up of random crap anyway...

KillTheLight
True erm

aveon222
in brittany spears it says sleep with me im not under age

the welsh one
Originally posted by Deano
subliminal messages are used everywhere... in magazines, billboards etc
http://www.jkcinema.com/runflash.asp?id=legends&name=Urban%20Legends&width=550&height=400&quality=best

some sumbliminal messages are quite morbid and freaky

jaden101
Originally posted by eggmayo
There was a court case once, a metal band was being tried for putting a message in a song that made a guy kill himself, and in court, the lead singer told a court aide to go and buy any CD from a shop, played the record backwards, and told the judge to listen for the word 'peppermint'.
The judge heard the word and instantly freed the band.
I'm not 100% whether thats a true story or not, my Mum told me it, but maybe, I think, you heard what you are told to hear concerning these things.

i think you're referring to the Judas Priest song
although i have no idea where this "peppermint" bit comes into the story
http://www.totse.com/en/ego/can_you_dance_to_it/jud-prst.html

big gay kirk
and if you play Tori Amos's "Bouncing off Clouds" backwards, it quite clearly says, "forget about the restraining order, Kirk, come visit me..."

Nellinator
This stuff has been disproved quite soundly by researching psychologists.

jaden101
Originally posted by Nellinator
This stuff has been disproved quite soundly by researching psychologists.

perhaps the effect has been disproved...doesn't mean the messages aren't there though

Nellinator
The backwards music of Stairway to Heaven was disproved. You can put nearly any words to them and people will hear them, 'tis the power of the mind.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Nellinator
The backwards music of Stairway to Heaven was disproved. You can put nearly any words to them and people will hear them, 'tis the power of the mind.

disproved by whom?

Stairway has some of the clearest backmasked lyrics. I agree that most backmased claims are pure shit and you can infact include any lyric you want, but stairway is very clear to me. The first time i heard it. I wasnt told the lyrics. I heard very very clearly...,"there was a little toolshed where he made us suffer, sad satan" (damn, im creeped out just saying that) Im sure it was nothing more than a stunt, and zeppelin didnt actually sell their souls to the devil. It is very likely that zeppelin would have done something liek this back in the day. If you really want to see how much credence lay in these claims. Go buy the original non titled vinyl (zofo) and play it backwords yourself. The lyrics are there. It doesnt work with any other vinyl featuring the song, or any type of CD what so ever. My friends and i did this using our parents albums. I found another friend whom happened to have the same album, and it worked on both. That means it was intentional

Anyway here are some good ones

http://jeffmilner.com/backmasking.htm

Alpha Centauri
The Zeppelin one is quite blatant.

-AC

Df02
haha the Britney one is funny.

Alpha Centauri
It definitely sounds the more accurate of them, aside from Led Zep's one.

-AC

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.