Scenery or Info?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Discos
whilst reading the books of Tolkien i was wondering what you prefer the most, his books detail on the mountains,trees,grass,rivers,sea etc with extra great descriptions

However, he also does the information on what is actually happening ie morgoth/melkor/creation of arda/vala

I prefer reading the information, the scenary sort of is confusing for such foolish mortals as myself and is quite .....erm boring

Discos - trying to discuss new things on the forum...tis dying erm

Discos
the chapters of Beledrian is quite lengthy, I wasnt interested in reading it but did so anyways

The Undertaker
I love his descriptions, they're very detailed, and artistically done; I try to take pointers from his writing, but his writing style is complicating

Yeah *forum's dying*

Discos
yeah the writing is weird in a sense, easy to pick up though

§pearhead
what if you like the information about the scenery wink

The Undertaker
^^that would still be scenery...?
Information on scenery= Description of scenery= Scenery, anyway
Unless it's like the History of it, which would then be Information.
Right? confused

Discos
right

Discos - cheeky spearhead *nudges sauron title*

§pearhead
bleh...you don't need to be so serious, it was a crappy attempt at a joke

The Undertaker
I can never tell what you call jokes

I'm jk wink as usual

Discos
you know when i tell a joke

Discos - whenever i mention the name "sauron" really shifty

§pearhead
Ah, but what if it was information about the history of the scenery? Something like "A great battle took place here between X and Y..." and it gets into the event rather than the scenery, eh?

The Undertaker
laughing out loud exactly, if it gets the event rather than the scenery, it's Information, then, isn't it?

§pearhead
bleh...I guess so

Discos
you "guess", how dare you roll eyes (sarcastic)

anyways, i would prefer knowing mainly about the battle than of the scenery

shadowy_blue
Discos, your complaints do have some validity. There were some parts of the book with too much description of sceneries and locations.

With that being said though, Tolkien created the landscape of a world, and in order to do this he needed to describe everything in minute detail. And the sceneries also set up the atmosphere of a particular scene. We know that Frodo and Sam are in perilous quest in Mordor because of the black sky and, heavy clouds and stinky smell, we know that the Fellowship are safe and in rest when we have read about the ethereal nature of Lothlorien and Rivendell, etc.

And let's also think about it for a second, if Tolkien hadn't spent all that time explaining every detail of the scenery then it would be VERY difficult for Peter Jackson to make the scenery in the movies good...he used the books a lot for the explanations Tolkien gave about the scenery and everything.

I'll be honest enough to say though, that I prefer watching and drooling over the wonderful sceneries and locations in the film (especially if it's really close from the description in the book), than reading one whole page dedicated to the description of one specific place.

To answer the question though, I prefer reading the informations about the emotions and thoughts of a character. I prefer reading about the informations about battles and other touching and tragic events in Arda, but it doesn't mean that I don't appreciate all the wonderful sceneries in Middle-earth. wink

Exa
For the moment of reading itself, I prefer the sceneries, Tolkien has a wonderful way of describing nature,
I do not read the books for the sceneries though but nearly only for the information and his overwhelming descriptions of tragic sceneries and athmospheres - like directly before a battle, or also when some character dies, it's wonderful to read. Another thing I love to read are his amazing dialogues, especially in the Silmarillion

sauron
if X and Y hate each other so much, how come they stand next to each other in the alphabet

Thorondor
because the stupid person who created letters thought it would be funny to watch them fight

Agent Elrond
I guess a better pair of choices is: LotR-style or Silmarillion-style. Both are very different writting styles and give u a different outllok on the story. Since I'm more into the histories, places, people, items and events, the Silmarillion style is more for me. But if you like the descriptions and the emotions, then you would prefer a LotR style writting.

Maybe this way we can avoid any unnecesary confusion.

§pearhead
"keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

Discos
I would most certainly prefer the lord of the rings style, perhaps because it took me little under 3 weeks to read Return of the king (think it was slightly another week or two to finish fellowship of the ring and TTT)....but its been 3 months since i picked up the silmarillion for the 3rd time and i still aint got around to finishing it

Discos - exams take too much revising time from me smile

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.