Why is this expression in existance?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

TheProgramSmith
For those of you who know the expression "As American as Apple Pie," did you know that Apple Pie is actually Canadian? big grin

Why does this expression exist? It doesn't make sense.

Smiling_Sadly
i guess that means ur not very american?!? huh

TheProgramSmith
No, Americans use it to authenticate American items.

Smiling_Sadly
o i c! well then i have no clue....it should disapear from the face of the earth..
*POOF*

gabimr2
bishardblink

wuTa
well we americans like to take credit for everything the canadians invented big grin

Peloquin
You're all a bunch of thieving barstools that's why. stick out tongue

TheProgramSmith
Next thing you know they'll try and steal Mac and Cheese, too!

wuTa
thats right and there aint nothin u can do about it evil face

Smiling_Sadly
yes...we r theives! ninja

TheProgramSmith
Stupid Americans and your trigger happy President.

wuTa
hey dont go too personal...i dont like him either but i'm gonna go bashin the queen of canada i mean the prime minister

Smiling_Sadly
no, dont say any thng about the pres.....u just go to farr with that!!!

j/k i dont care......well i do a lil...im a bad person, im not very patriotic... sad

TheProgramSmith
Lets stay off the pres. Good idea. Too many people might get mad.

The point of this thread is that Canadians know more about America and its history then Americans know about... anything.

They use this quote to saying 'Something is 100% Red, White and Blue" by using simile that is incorrect in nature. That is sheer stupidity!

wuTa
u know what i'll admit that us americans arent the brightest in the world (although i do beleive we did give the world Einstein)......but were fighters...were scrappers....we can take your lil canadian insults and brush them off our shoulders..at least we dont end every sentence with eh

Smiling_Sadly
yea i totally didnt get that buta alright, im stupid!

TheProgramSmith
Americans stealing Canada's stuff. Basketball. Dont get me started

wuTa
hey we cant help out were more athletic...and a Canadian stole The Masters last year

Smiling_Sadly
uh...um...yea they did!

JediHDM
uh...um...you do realize that Albert Einstein left Germany, his home country, to come here, right? he isn't american, he's german...you could say, we did give the world Bell, or Carver, but not Einstein.

And yes, americans are known for their stupidity, but we aren't mindless, you know...oh, what the h3ll...yeah we are...well, most of society...the ones that like xXx and not the Matrix roll eyes (sarcastic) .

SweetNsouR
right because its such a crime to adopt the saying...because apple pie is such a marvelous creation that we would be lost with out....Canda Chill Out. at least we know how to capitalize on ur smelly apple pie

SweetNsouR
...i guess u live in a trailer park, cuz from my perspective i go to school with some of the brightest kids in this country...and mind you. even if u where born in Timbuktu, once u move to America u r an American... America is a wonderful country i think we sometimes get a lot of shyt from those who are jealous or ignorant..

Syren
laughing

*choke*

US vs Canada!! It's South Park all over again!!! laughing out loud

"Blame Canada!! Blame Canada!!"

TheProgramSmith
I am not trying to say that every American is stupid. All I am trying to understand is how can America adopt a phase that authenticates its product, people, etc, when the comparison it uses draws a comparison that is not even correct?

That would be like a Canadian saying, "As Canadian as Baseball," or something to the effect.

Americans are allowed to be smart. I applaude you and your respective peers. I wish there was more of you.

wuTa
what a minute its not like canada is brlliant there are just as many dumb people in canada as america...and heres your ansewer http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/5/messages/1406.html

Syren
TPS, that last post was really good, you covered your point and flattered Canada clap

I totally see his point, for the record, and I'm British big grin

lil bitchiness
roll eyes (sarcastic) Just because someone moved to America, it doesnt automaticly mean he/she is an American. Einstain was German, he was born and grew up there, he can never be American.

Syren
Although Lils, I was born in Wales, and moved to England. I'm therefore English. But I'm sure that has something to do with the fact that I was born on an English RAF Camp, else I'd be Welsh yes

Jerico
Actually Australia is better at stealing then Americans are eg. Kiley Minouge is 'Australian' (english) Mel Gibson is 'Australian' (american) Russel Crow is 'Australian' (new zealander) America's got nothing on Aus smile

Linkalicious
Because Canada is America Jr.

Thorondor
ooooooooohhhh insult lol

Linkalicious
insult? I meant that as a compliment to Canadians. I could have always claimed they were dutch. big grin

TheProgramSmith
It is true.

Canada has beer that is not watered down to the point of being disgusting, and America is the worlds Superpower. It is a win-win situation for both sides

Thorondor
Superpower? HA!

BackFire
Interesting. But none the less I really don't care about who inventd apple pie.

Canadians just grasp to every little thing they have ever "invented" in order to make their country seem important in some way when it simply is not.

Hockey is the only important thing to ever come out of Canada.

Linkalicious
but could you really classify hockey as important? eh?

BackFire
Nah, I guess not. But that's aboot all I like that came out of Canada, eh.

Gregory
To the best of my knowledge, apple pie was invented in England. I think people are just making stuff up to make Canada seem important.

WindDancer
I like The Blue Jays they are a cool team thumb up

Canada vs. The USA???

Nah! Many Americans like Canadians! Especially their products!

Maple Syrup
Canadian Whiskey
Canadian Bacon

I like Canada! Cold but clean cities big grin

Thorondor
*cough* racists

WindDancer
Why am I a racist? confused

Thorondor
not you

wuTa
let me tell ya lil story about canada...when i was in 5th grade we took a field trip to Toronto...we were on a bus goin to the spaghetti factory and the kid behind me had his window open....i was talkin to him and outa of nowher some grubby ass high school kid spit at the bus and it went through the window and nailed the kid right in the face

badkittykitty
theres to many weird expression that don't make any sense like this at the airport what does it mean to pre-board? Do you get on before you get on?

or when 2 planes almost collide they call it a near-miss..when actually it's a near hit.

sorry to interrupt big grin

Thorondor
laughing

Smiling_Sadly
welp....ur absolutly right bkk!

silver_tears
Einstein was German idiot stick out tongue

silver_tears
Do you mean Alexander Graham Bell erm
he's Canadian too stick out tongue

LanİeWindu
Because Canadians don't stand up for themselves.

wuTa
jesus christ...i said we americans are the brightest wtf?...yea he was born in germany but were he'd move? AMERICA!....USA USA USA!

silver_tears
only to get away from the Germans since you people actually promoted immigration at one point roll eyes (sarcastic)

LanİeWindu
He left Germany to make a bomb.

MC Mike
I'm American, and I understand why a lot of people would call us stupid... because a lot of us are! And we are very ignorant at times. erm

LanİeWindu
I'm ignorant...just like the French.

silver_tears
laughing out loud

MC Mike
rolling on floor laughing

wuTa
we cam be very ignorant but we also take alot of shit from alot of countries but who do those countries go to when they need help who o they go to flex

silver_tears
their armies smokin'

LanİeWindu
laughing out loud

wuTa
does canada even have an army?

silver_tears
damn right, and it's more involved in peace keeping than making money happy

Darth Revan
Americans have a long history of giving credit for foodstuffs to the wrong countries. Like how french fries are actually Belgian.

wuTa
and the crazy ass hockey parents with hockey helmest and hockey sticks doe not count as an army stick out tongue

silver_tears
Hockey isn't even our national sport you ignoramous stick out tongue

wuTa
yea those soliders in iraq out really in it for the money...that whopping 16 grand a year buys wonders

TheProgramSmith
Its LaCrosse

Darth Revan
Not the soldiers themselves, the government... Yes we're spending billions of dollars over there, but we also get the wartime economy, and if things go well, the largest (known) oil reserves in the world.

wuTa
yea canadians are really known worldwide for lacrose...i mean when u think canada and olympics u think lacrosse not hockey...what the hell was i thinkin

silver_tears
you weren't smokin'

BackFire
Lacrosse sucks. What a crappy sport. It doesn't know whether it's football, hockey, or soccer. THe only thing it knows for sure is that it's crappy.

silver_tears
Not the point, I think football is barbaric, and shouldn't be called football in the first place What the f**k?

BackFire
No more barbaric then Hockey.

I do agree with that last statement though. I guess it's because at the beginning of each game there is a kick off.

TheProgramSmith
But, it is none of those. It is Lacrosse.

wuTa
c'mon.....barbaric? thats a joke

BackFire
It just combined all those sports. Just threw them all in a blender and mixed some shit in with it and out came Lacrosse.

Darth Revan
Actually, lacrosse was around LONG before any of those other sports.

BackFire
Interesting, but not surprising. Maybe it's time to retire that sport. Maybe it's age is what makes it so lame.

silver_tears
What isn't barbaric about men tackling eachother after a little leather ball What the f**k? Have you seen some of the football injuries, it promotes violence stick out tongue

BackFire
The hockey injuries I've seen are far worse.

Darth Revan
What the hell is wrong with lacrosse? Call me gay or whatever but I think it looks cool. Plus my school has one of the best teams in the state.

silver_tears
I like lacrosse, I've even played it embarrasment

Darth Revan
Oh, and the hockey thing... Yeah hockey players can get pretty violent. Like I heard about a goalie who missed an easy block and was literally beaten to death by his team mates for losing them the big game.

BackFire
It's just lame. They run around with nets and throw a ball around. They wear funny little masks. It's like hockey without sticks, skates or any of what makes hockey entertaining. and on grass.

wuTa
promotes violence?.....its no more violent than hockey or lacrosse...i mean your even aloud to fight in hockey...it promotes athletesn athleticism, and entertainment.....people are violent by nature..your not gonna watch a football than tackle some old lady coz she cut u off in line at the supermarket

Darth Revan
Well in football they run around on a big field and throw a ball around... Yeah that's a lot better roll eyes (sarcastic)

BackFire
"your not gonna watch a football than tackle some old lady coz she cut u off in line at the supermarket"

I do that even if I haven't watched a game of football in years.

silver_tears
clearly we all would no expression

silver_tears
Just something interesting, both the snowmobile and Trivial Pursuit are Canadian cool

wuTa
i have an interesting question...isnt canada owned by england?

silver_tears
are you for real What the f**k?

Raventheonly
thats like the saying "truth is in the eye of the beholder" a beholder is a giant beast known as an eye tyrant usually used to terrify people the saying is totally strange.

wuTa
yea i'm for real big grin.....no...i know they have legence to the queen....i cant spell

silver_tears
Canada date of confederation is July 1,1867, (July 1st being Canada day) this is when the first four provinces formed to create Canada, although it still had British ties, it was Canada. Canada became truly independent when the Statute of Westminster was signed in 1931 I believe, granting all of Britains commonwealth nations complete Independence erm

How is it I know when the states became independent yet you know nothing of Canada stick out tongue

and btw it's spelled allegiance smart

wuTa
coz i'm american

silver_tears
and I'm European stick out tongue
God what do they teach you kids roll eyes (sarcastic)

Darth Revan
I hate being an I-don't-care-ican sad

wuTa
my teachers didnt like me so never payed attention so i guess they taught us how not to pay attention

silver_tears
there there sweetie hug

wuTa
than i dont have problem with another country stereotyping americans they hate us anyways but when an america starts doin it than that just aint right

JediHDM
Considering we make our immigrants know more about our country than most middle-aged adults, well...thats the reason America is so retarded...our 'wealth' has caused us to become soft, and stupid.

Darth Revan
exactly.

and wuTa, to me it's just kind of embarrasing being an American, I can't explain it, but the gov't sort of implies to the rest of the world (and even to us) that we're all in favor of the war, etc... Plus I hate the whole "big, bad-assed American guy" stereotype... You do this, you're gay, you do this, you're a wimp... And the one about "ah well Bush is in office, who gives a shit, ah well now we're destroying the planet, who gives a shit, ah well, now we're killing thousands of people, but who gives a shit because I have a good life"... I hate political correctness, how after 9/11 it was like this competition to see who could fly the most flags... Like even your comment just now, it's like there's something wrong with you if you aren't proud to be an American... Even though most of the country is liberal, there's this negative vibe emanating from, well, everything... Now I'm just rambling I can't explain it really

drunk_nazgul
It IS kind of hard to explain. I admire you for trying, DR...

So, today, though, my "friend" said America sucked and she wanted to go to Canada, and nobody said a word about it. Here in the south, though, the stereotypes are evrywhere. Rebel flags... I'm sick of it. Will someone come and take me away?

wuTa
i kinda get were u two are comin from if u ask me its the politicians we have no diea who to trust...bush hasnt done shit but coz a war for all the wrong reasons and now u got kerry comin in who says he fo rthe common man....how the f*ck can u be for the common man when your family is worth like a quater of a billion dollars. if u ask me this country needs a revolution

lil bitchiness
mad French are awsome people!!

JediHDM
don't get me wrong, i love America, and i wouldn't trade it for the world. but sometimes people are just plain retarded...i mean, american people...not to say that no one else is retarded...and i hate PC as well...its always, oh, you cant say that, its not PC...well F*CK PC!!!

BackFire
That could go over in the "whats the biggest lie you've ever been told" thread in the GDF.

lil bitchiness
roll eyes (sarcastic) Wow, thats rich...calling French ignorant, when American stereotype is that all Americans are fat and stupid!

BackFire
There's many french stereotypes. Them being ignorant is just one. Others are, they are smelly, mean, and hateful.

lil bitchiness
And where did you get that? How many French people do you know?

Also, where did the 'hatefull' stereotype come from? (im not critisisng here, im asking, since i wasnt familiar with that stereotype)

In your post, up there, you said that what i said could be interpreted as a lie...its not however, French people happen to be polite and nice as well as tolerant.
Its very ironic that you say they are smelly because they are the oens who first started with the perfume.
They also dont have all the fast food McDonnalds crap yes

As for American people, apart from BKK I have yet to meet an American who will give a GOOD representation of America and their people, and i have spoken to many Americans, being at University with a large number international students.

wuTa
you cant ansewer where a stereotupe came from thats why there stereotypes....i've heard that stereotype of French people bein rude ignorant or smelly......in your post u said your not be critical but it sounds like your being defense...maybe the french got labeled as ignrant because america saved them twice but when america wants help they dont wanna help us.....and you've probly only heard one good representation of america coz most americans dont care what the french think of us like u said they already labeled as as fat and stupid so why would we car what they think...its someone called u fat and stupid i doubt u cared what that person would think

silver_tears
excuse me laughing out loud SAVED?!?!?!?! please elaborate on that laughing out loud laughing out loud

wuTa
saved? wtf are u talkin about

silver_tears
when exactly did america save the french What the f**k?

lil bitchiness
laughing out loud rolling on floor laughing laughing out loud

wuTa
world war 2

lil bitchiness
laughing out loud rolling on floor laughing laughing out loud rolling on floor laughing laughing out loud!!!!!!!!!!!!!

silver_tears
laughing out loud very nice lil

Curl_Up&Dye
"slap you silly"...

another pointless and completely idiotic phrase

Gregory
To strike someone on the face until they are to dazed for rational thought, and thus "silly." Makes perfect sense to me.

SweetNsouR
let me clear something up for u...ur not a real american... and frankly thats just fine.

BackFire
Yeah, about the perfume, the joke is that they started wearing perfume as a necessity to cover up their smell.

And I never said all those things were true about french people, those are simply stereotypes that are often joked about in TV shows and what not.

SweetNsouR
i love it when ppl talk about things they rnt fully informed about. FYI France does have mcdonalds...and other fast food resutrants like "Quicke" or something like that... i dont remember the name cuz it was 2 yrs ago when i went. My father lives in France, i have been many times. i Have met rude and smelly French ppl and the sweetest too. I have met rude and smelly ppl in my home land (america) and rude ones too. What u all forget is that u can not base an entire race or nationality from one element. So b itch...i mean bitchiness its very ignorant of u to say something like that, no country can have just one person represent their nation, bcuz a person is lazy, smart, funny, smelly bcuz its who they r, not what country they represent ... i see amazing ppl everyday... maybe ur so biased u cant even see beyond your veiled perspective.

silver_tears
what the hell is a real american, let me tell you something, there's no such thing!

dave123
I'm a real american confused

CaPtaInCLaUdiA
the only real americans are native americans...

dave123
yeah, that's me big grin

§pearhead
sure dave roll eyes (sarcastic)

burlyman
I believe you eek!

CaPtaInCLaUdiA
me too!smile

dave123
what the hell? i thought you were dead confused

silver_tears
what a shame sad

burlyman
I am smile

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid117/p43df84d1c7bb9c0d590266511aed9745/f89f9b04.jpg.orig.jpg

dave123
why leave the convo then?

Darth Revan
well you know what's funny is that you ALWAYS hear about how we helped them out during WWI and WWII but you NEVER hear about how we would still be part of Britain if it weren't for them. They hated the British and basically saved our asses in the Revolutionary war. And why should they help us go into a country and blow it up? They knew Bush's real agenda, and they don't like war. Is there a problem with a country that doesn't like killing people?

The French are f*cking awesome.

And SweetnSour, how am I not American? I was born right here in Eugene, Oregon, USA, and as far as I know, that qualifies me as an American citizen. In fact, I even know the Constitution better than you do. Or did they change that in the Patriot Act? See, it's this kind of "you're not patriotic, go to Canada" bullshit that makes me ashamed to call myself American.

silver_tears
What's wrong with Canada mad

WindDancer
There is too much generalization lately. This is just not good. no

Darth Revan
Nothing, I love Canada, but a lot of people consider it highly un-American and therefore highly bad.

silver_tears
Bah, I love it too canadian

SweetNsouR
poor fool... uh i never said "go to canada"... u must be imagining things... WHAT I DID SAY was that ur not a true american... a true american (silver tears) is not measured by his race, but he/she is nationalistic and excepts the ups and downs of their country. a real Russian, loves Russia despite communism. a real Spaniard loves Spain despite the fascism... got it. frankly darth i dont give teo shyts wether ur not patriotic or not...im just clarifying ur not a real american...

and FYI the british supports our decision... not that im imputing my own views of the war... its France, Spain.. and those countries who oppose...

SweetNsouR
u must hang around motel 6 or something... i have not met a person as ignorant and PRO AMERICAN DOWN WITH EVERYTHING ELSE that u claim to encounter...who is this "a lot of people"...Where i live we plan trips to canada. we share the a similar culture, language. wait..do u live in west virginia? lol cuz that would explain the swarm of IG-NOR-A-MOOSES lolz. i could care less that u dislike America, but ur reasons seem to be a lil hazy

BackFire
"And why should they help us go into a country and blow it up? They knew Bush's real agenda, and they don't like war. Is there a problem with a country that doesn't like killing people?"

Psh, that's because they hardly have a military of any sort.

Also, the Canadians I've known have an extremely blind hatred for America. But, what else is new, what country isn't anti-american these days, it's the trend of late.

However, one thing Canada has that's very cool, is free medicare for all of their citizens. That's awesome.

SweetNsouR
free medicare and taxes coming out ur ears, mouth and a$$

Darth Revan
Backfire, a lot of countries that have almost no military are members of the "coalition of the willing". I think it was Poland, for example, that contributed something like 200 troops.

Maybe not "a lot of people", but that's the feeling you get from turning on the TV or the radio and just listening to the news for awhile...

I never claimed you told me to go to Canada. The "go to Canada" part was a figure of speach, a nice way of saying "you suck if you don't love your country, so you should move away".

Actually Silver Tears is Canadian roll eyes (sarcastic)

So why the hell should I love America blindly? I'm not stupid, I don't blindly do what I'm "supposed to do". In fact, I talked about this same issue of being proud to be an American on another forum, they brought up an interesting issue, which is that Americans are supposed to love freedom. Our country was built on this concept. But the bill of rights has been destroyed by this Patriot Act. You can be jailed indefinitely in an undisclosed location for doing next to nothing. Put simply, the government can lock you away without telling you why, letting you call anybody, and for God knows how long.

Screw nationalism, you don't define me based on race, so don't define me based on what country I'm a citizen of either. I see no reason why I should love this country that... ahh damn let's not go there... PM me if you want...

Darth Revan
And about the free medicare thing... Basically there are two ways of running things, the way I see it: there's the system we currently have, which is to pay the gov't as little money as we can, and get very few public services, and there's the one Canada has which is to tax an arm and a leg but practically get most services free or nearly so. Both have their pros and cons, but I prefer more taxes and more free services to sucky public schools and fewer taxes... You get what you pay for.

wuTa
"And why should they help us go into a country and blow it up? They knew Bush's real agenda, and they don't like war. Is there a problem with a country that doesn't like killing people?"

i always thought france didnt want to be a part of the coalition because they were gettin oil exteremly cheap from iraq...them in germany got oil from that country cheaper tha shit......and as far as the revolitionary war we were the only they didnt save our ass guerilla welfarfe saved our ass they defineytly helped i'm...f*ck it i'm done with this thread its started to bore me u gotta somethin to sya to me say say through PM

JediHDM
that is true...that is also why russia wouldn't back us, and germany...they had their deals, agreements, whatever you want to call them, with Saddam hussein, and the moment the embargo was nullified, they would move in and get oil in exchange for whatever the agreement stated. All this bullsh*t about 'George invading Iraq so we could have the oil' is getting so old, because it isn't true...what about the last thing Bush said, which was 'We will leave iraq if we are asked'...does that sound like oil-hungry b@stards to you? drop it. mad

lil bitchiness
laughing out loud What EXACTLY is a real american? Native American, is a real American, therefore, you aint one either, unless you are a native American.

lil bitchiness
eek! Then maybe you should go arround France some more!! Guess what, I live approximatly 3 hours drive away from France! eek! Although it would take me less than an hour to pass the channel.

Please, dont even go comparing how many McDonnald's there are in France with anywhere else in the world, especially not USA because it is VERY VERY low!

We are talking about stereotypes, in case you havent noticed, and BF was telling me about the stereptype of French people...in America at least...and I was telling him the stereotype of Americans all over the world! eek!

And when did i say one person presents their nation? Please read what I wrote, i said apart from my BKK, I am yet to meet an American who will give a good representation of America, meaning, I have met MANY americans, and none have given me anything that disproves (British at least) stereotype!

BF> I understand what you mean by the ''smelly'' stereotype. It isnt the one used here however, i was not familiar with it. thumb up

SweetNsouR
... too bad for u b itch... i guess they send the scum of america over to britain... ah well i guess all scum belong together... lol kidding totally kidding. ive met a few brits here in america, i tutor 3 british kids. respectible, kind, sweet and smart. then again all the kids i tutor are amazing... british and american alike.

and france has fewer mcdonalds because it is a smaller country DUH. the raito of country to fast food places is pretty equal for america and france.

I know silver is Canadian... i was answering her question to what is a real american... same thing as a real brit, a real canadian. one who loves his country inspite of flaws. SO for example Darth u say u do not like america... if u lived Spain even tho u live here... ur nationalistic and true 2 spain... that can answer ur ques too bitchiness

and Darth Raven... goodness i couldnt give a crap wether u love america. u r a citizen but ur not nationalistic... and i said thats fine... maybe u choose to skipo over things i post... let look shall we:

SweetNsouR
did u read over the part where i said i could care less if u dislike america... it doesnt make me dislike u, unless ofcourse u prejudge americans and act in a biased way

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>