Do you know a website where I can learn elvish grammar, tenses and everything?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Amy Black
Can you help me? I need a site which explains elvish languages clearly.
I've seen some sites like that but they were too complicated.

Exa
Clearly?
Hm, already tried ardalambion.com? It's not clearly but correct stick out tongue

Otherwise there's some nice summary of Sindarin grammar
http://elvish.org/gwaith/sindarin_intro.htm
And of course Renk's Sindarin course -
http://home.agh.edu.pl/~evermind/mathom/pedin_edhellen_en.zip

A similar course also exists for Quenya:
http://home.agh.edu.pl/~evermind/mathom/quetin_lambe_eldaiva_en_part1.zip
But I don't know any really clear and correct Quenya grammar summary (i'd also need one stick out tongue )

Discos
I tried learning it once.....got quite boring and intense

Discos - I'm a lazy fool

pip-foot
I tried once too...but languages arent really my thing...i am having enough trouble with spanish right now stick out tongue

i would like to learn...but dont have enough patience.

ladygrim
i tried learning german wat a big NONO but i could always try elvish....wud love to go into an ENglish lesson and write my work in elvish cus that would be a kick in the fukng teeth for the cow

Discos
i was doing my german exam today,

Discos - no more german for me ever stick out tongue

Exa

Estelio_Aranel
I was just wondering if any of you on here, Could Speak Elvish? If you do send me a message.

Agent Elrond
ask exa, she's the elvish expert here. She know's all

Machete_guy
I wish i kenw elvish sad

Estelio_Aranel
Elvish isn't that hard to learn. It's coming pretty easy to me.

Exa
I do not "speak" any of the elvish languages, but I started trying to work with it two years ago or so, not really learning it to make it possible to have a real conversation, I prefer "real" languages for that, but just translating and comparing the tongues to each other smile

I don't think it's harder to learn than any european language, the only problem is that you don't have a teacher preparing everything for you in the right order and gives you a little dose each day,
but you have to do everything yourself - You have a dictionary, a collection of grammar, some texts about the origins of the language and some quotes, so in the beginning it's a little complicated because at least I didn't really know where to start, but it works quite well when you learn a little grammar in the beginning and then start trying to translate some of Tolkien's texts back to English with the help of your material... the hard thing especially for Sindarin are the consonant mutations I think, because if you don't know how it works you often have no idea where the word comes from and cant search for it in any dictionary smile

What kind of Elvish do you learn? *looks at name and sig* also Sindarin?

Estelio_Aranel
I mostly know Sindarin, me and my friend are learning it to talk in. But I also know some Quenya.

Nienna
eek! That song in your sig, I like that, altho the translation is a bit unclear....glare

I'm learning Quenya, and this site is the best:

http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/

Exa
smile
I also started learning it together with a friend, we sometimes try to write parts of out emails in Sindarin... quite amusing because there are a LOT of possibilities for misunderstandings in Sindarin laughing out loud

I started learning Quenya seriously and not only bits and pieces of grammar and vocabulary some months ago, but gave up again because I didnt have the time... now I'm back to the bits-and-pieces-strategy stick out tongue
@Nienna - so do i stick out tongue

A lot more useful and easier to learn are definitely the writing systems smile I think I use the normal Tengwar daily ^^ I should learn Sarati again confused they look great, but I forgot half of the letters erm especially the basic ones are a lot less logical than the Tengwar

Lurik
Go here, it doesn't teach the languages, yet you can dowload the runes, and scripts:
http://www.warofthering.net/downloadmanager/pafiledb.php?action=category&id=12

Princess Re

FeceMan
Learning Spanish has actually helped me understand language a lot better and so I've ALMOST deduced a small amount from the little Elvish I've read. However, Elvish seems to have a ton of irregular verbs and odd phrasing, making it quite difficult to "translate".

Agent Elrond
There are threads like this here. Search for them

Melkórë
I believe this is mostly Isidra, or a combination of Sindarin and Quenya...............

Romeo
GET A LIFE

Sauron
1- Romeo, dont abuse members
2- I cant wait till exa sees this, she will have your life laughing out loud

A.D. Skinner
This is true...

Exa I believe is Elven...and she is the only one...THE ONLY ONE..I would ever go to, to learn Elvish !

Sauron
She is elvish smile
She lives in gondolin, and escapes its downfall then moves to numenor and later arnor.

calenlass

Exabyte
Exactly;
But somehow nobody seems to respect that no expression
The writing systems are maybe to *so* important - though with them one understands everything a lot better as they already show you the main phonology of the languages -, but the rest is essentially... unfortunately, many websites offer those wordlists, but there are nearly no good grammars to be found.
Councilofelrond is a good collection and also gives loads of examples yes

big grin irregular verbs... not as many as most living languages maybe, but still numerous ones, and many that *are* regular but in quite a strange way ^^

1- yes
2- laughing

No, it's actually mostly Tolkien "elvish" this time, but indeed a mixture of Quenya and Sindarin... though it's nearly only Sindarin smile
Still one of the best listings that were posted here in KMC big grin but what use is a one-sided dictionary not even defining what type the words are, like verb - or noun? ... not really always clear in english erm

Ae? Wasn't it aew? confused I thought ae was "*if"
... ambar is for example one of the quenya words smile

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.