Realism vs Idealism

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

HockeyHorror
1. Are you more of a realistic person or idealistic.

2. Do we need more realistic people in the Earth or more idealistic?

§pearhead
For the most part, I'd like to think of myself as a realist. However, the world could probably use a decent balance of both realism and idealism, like how in the US theres a balance of Democratic and Republican. The right way to do things is somewhere in the middle--the realists keep things from getting out of hand, while idealists at the very least point out what improvements can be made.

tazman
I myself tend to be more on the idealistic side, but I agree with Spearhead and think that there should be a good balance both as a society and as individuals. Idealism is good in that it always keeps you focused on working towards perfection. Realism is good to keep you in check with where you're at.

Evy_O
1. Realistic.
2. ^^ agreed with the above.

Viper
I don't really know. I'm usually a bit of both so it's hard to tell.

i slayed buffy
hu fkin no's hu fkin cares
sory im in a bad mood mad

The Omega
I_slayed_Buffy> And writing that here accomplishes what??? Goodness!

As for the topic here: Define realistic. Define idealistic, please.

Fire
well I'm more of a dreamer in my heart and my head so on that part I am an idealist

but when it comes to actualy doing something I have a pretty good feeling about what I can and can not accomplish. so than I am a realist

rusky
Hmm.. I agree with FM here...

tptmanno1
Well I think I'm an Idealist.
I think the would needs more Idealists, because, no offence, but Realists tend to lean towards the pessimistic side more.
I try to be an Idealist because I think that there is a way to sove everything. And that I am kind of a dreamer.

§pearhead
Realists are more pessimistic because they don't want to overdo things, which often leads things to ruin.

Raz
I would like to think I'm both.

LeAtHerRFace
agree with Raz

Fire
raz stole my idea stick out tongue

Evy_O
I disagree. I consider myself as realistic, however I'm a very (and when I say very, I mean VERY VERY stick out tongue ) optimistic and happy person. It has nothing to do with it.

dave123
*mind is completely blank*

This forum is too thought provoking, I'm back off to the OTF stick out tongue

Evy_O
Well OTF is too no-thought-at-all... stick out tongue roll eyes (sarcastic)

ZoofyTheJinx
I think that I'm kind of both. I like to dream and go of into another world. But then I'm also realistic.. I like to take things the way that they really are.. So I'm not really sure which one I am.

tptmanno1
Evy,
I was talking In general.
And Through what I've experienced Realists not unhappy, but are quick to say "that wont work" or "No, we can't do taht"
While Idealists try to find a way. I'm not saying its bad to be one or the other, We need ballance I'm just sayying that with my limited experience I've seen many Realists be Pessimists.
IMO only.

tazman
Straight from the dictionary:

Idealism
The act or practice of envisioning things in an ideal form.
Pursuit of one's ideals.
Idealized treatment of a subject in literature or art.
Philosophy. The theory that the object of external perception, in itself or as perceived, consists of ideas.

Realism
An inclination toward literal truth and pragmatism.
The representation in art or literature of objects, actions, or social conditions as they actually are, without idealization or presentation in abstract form.
Philosophy.
The scholastic doctrine, opposed to nominalism, that universals exist independently of their being thought.
The modern philosophical doctrine, opposed to idealism, that physical objects exist independently of their being perceived.

WindDancer
Neither, I'm a pessimist (as in Schopenhauer) when it comes to philosophical realism and idealism.

Evy_O
Well, I can see your point... But the right way to say it is, "many pessimists are realists" and not the other way round smile
And I agree on the balance thingy... Also, it's better a person to be realist when needed, and idealist when needed. That's the best.

NyC-gUrL
I think Im more of a realist, but we could sure use more idealists in the world.

ancietwisdom
big grin I think we need both, realistic and idealistic people.
We all need a balance. A nice combination of both worlds.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.