best british bands of all time

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

dean7879
best british bands eva...extremely hard vote butwho do u pick???
i would vote for thin lizzy!

amity75
The Who.

raven guardia
BEATLES!!!!!!!!

they made rock and roll what it is today, the beatles were the greatest and most influential act of the rock era. they introduced more innovations into popular music they any other rock band of the 20th century. they made rock an international phenomenon!!!!!!!

I pick the beatles!

big gay kirk
STATUS QUO!!!! They've been going for over forty years, and they're still good... they still sell out venues, and have avoided becoming their own tribute band, unlike the stones... and lets be honest, wherever you go in the world, you'll hear the Quo.....

El_Barto
The Clash, The Who, The Beatles, Queen, Led Zeplin, and Pink Floyd

ragesRemorse
no other compares to LED ZEPPELIN

total metalhead
Agreed. There are very few bands in the whole world, not just Britain, that come close to Zep.

Df02
Beatles and Zeplin

KMC
The Beatles- it never fails to amaze me what a huge impact they had on the world in such a short time.

Kate xx

ElectricBugaloo
Beatles--hands down

No one has the discography that they have. They showed marked changes from their early "Beatles for Sale" days--where they wrote perfect bubble gum pop songs ("She Loves Me", "Help", etc.)--to the post Revolver era, where they wrote numerous albums that the best Rolling Stones, Who, or Led Zeppelin album cannot compare to (Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band was one of the defining moments of the 1960s). There was infighting that caused a fractured double album that is still considered a classic today (The White Album) where they showed that George Harrison himself was a brilliant songwriter. Even when they stopped caring about their sound (They all gave up on Let It Be, so Spector came in and added his normal over the top garishness), somehow the songwriting still broke through. Finally, Abbey Road was written in the "old" Beatles style, and showed just how much they could do. From the opening notes of Come Together, to the quick, joking, ending of "Her Majesty", Abbey Road was perhaps the best description of The Beatles.

The Beatles directly paved the way for pretty much every band on this list, and none of the other bands could compare with the songwriting of the Lennon-McCartney songwriting team.

KMC
^that's quite an impressive breakdown of their work. Are you secretly McCarts??

Kate xx

ElectricBugaloo
No, just someone with WAY too much time on his hands

btw, now i'm listening to Let It Be..Naked

KMC
^I was a bit shocked by the honesty of that comment but then i realised you meant the stripped down version of the song...

Kate xx

ElectricBugaloo
you haven't heard the Let It Be...Naked album? it was released a couple months back, and it's Let It Be without the Spector influence.

raven guardia
*claps hands* I totaly agree!!!!!! ............the beatles ROCK!!!!!

Kaleanae
Yes, the Who

Kaleanae
But I have to put Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin, I love them, good music smart

dean7879
i love led zeppelin for stairway to heaven.....pure genius...my other favourite songs are black dog and tangerine

KMC
If that was aimed at me- I havent heard it but i'm aware that it was released.

Kate xx

ElectricBugaloo
if you like led zepplin, listen to some old blues.

in some cases they take the entire blues riff and plug it into a song.

Kaleanae
hehehe

finti
so where are The Who and The Clash in this poll, a lot of great bands in the poll but in my mind The Who and The Clash deserves a place here much more than Priest and Lizzy

ElectricBugaloo
For me, the order is:

1) Beatles
2) Queen
3) The Who
4) Led Zeppelin
5) The Clash
6) Black Sabbath

The others really don't even enter the list

finti
a good one.
I dont rank them, but for me it is Deep Purple, The Who, The Clash, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, Marillion, Iron Maiden, Beatles, Queen. The Police, 10cc, ...........................when this is said I think it is weird that no one has asked for Rolling Stones never been "my" band but even so

El_Barto
You put Black Sabbath twice happy

finti
that I did..........................no shame in it though cause its an excellent band

badkittykitty
I love all the bands in your poll (except LZ) and the ones finti mentioned but no one will ever be as great of a rock singer then freddy mercury.so queen gets my vote.

Sauron
BKK, you like queen eek!

they are better than any other band in that poll, as queen didnt really have a style, it was amazing the range of songs they could do.
heartbreaking love songs 'save me' 'who wants to live forever'
your classic rock songs 'bo rap' 'seven seas of rhye'
your anthems 'we will rock you' 'we are the champs'

your im bored so im going to piss about songs 'bicycle race' 'fat bottomed girls'

the dance/discos songs 'another one bites the dust'

the soundtracks, highlander soundtrack, flash....

christmas singles 'thank god its christmas'

i adore queen love

and imo they are indeed the best band of all time

Sauron
Im not to keen on the beatles

but lennon's solo work, i love

imagine
working class hero
wheels go round
mother

love

finti
have you heard the "ol" beatles/rolling stones sweetie Martiann Faithful`s version of Working Class Hero, pretty good for a cover. Not to keen on covers but there are some good ones and this is one of them

Red Superfly
BUSTED! eek!

<.<

>.>

*runs*

TheFreedom
Iron Maiden and Queen because those two bands out of all of the above are geniouses.
Iron Maiden, the lead singer has such a high voice, his songs are songs I can never sing along because of the high pitchness, and I respect that, just like his lyrics about fantasy/epics. "Flight of Icarus" is my best example, and "Can I Play With Madness".

Freddy Mercury knew how to write songs and on top of that, sing them really great as well. We've all heard "Bohemian Rhapsody".

ElectricBugaloo
umm...you guys are talking about songwriting, and you forget to mention Lennon-McCartney? the most prolfic and arguably best songwriting duo of all time?

Queen was a great band, but their genre jumping was NOTHING compared to what the Beatles did. Look at "Meet The Beatles" (or "With The Beatles" depending on which side of the pond you're on), and compare it to Rubber Soul. Then compare that to Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. Then compare that to Let it Be.

chimpmunkz
WAT ABOUT THE CHILLIS??? OR THE DARKNESS??? outa them queen rule mush!!

Sauron
What the f**k? so your saying the darkness are better than queen?
ok the chillis are good, not as good as any of the bands up there but good nonetheless.
but the darkness? the cheesyest queen rip off ever.

it is only because he sang bo-rhap in a pub one night that justin got the lead singer spot

Df02
The Darkness are the worst excuse for a rock band ever, they suck so much dick its unbeleivable that any1 can like them, and theyve grown into the most arrogant set of music making labia ever to blight the earth.

Justin is one ugly looking mofo with worse teeth than my grandad, who has none!
Their music is a joke, theyve done nothing that hasnt been done 1000X before, AND BETTER.

cock-rock died in the 80's who the **** wanted it back?? i know i didnt....

/"ive-had-it-up-to-my-nostrils-with-Darkness"-rant over

chimpmunkz
im an ass they that i emntioned r american lol...hehe

Black Onyx
rock and roll died a few years ago

now its just rock

wank rock

chimpmunkz
darkness rnt better but they r sooooooo cool!!!! i love them how can u h8 them????? grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
queen rule outa that lot lol

ElectricBugaloo
i think that people should have to take a test proving that they know how to type before entering the boards

and the reason the darkness suck is because they are just rehashing (badly) what has been done in the past.

finti
forgett about the darkness and lets get back to music agian and British bands ( Great British bands where darkness has no role)

ElectricBugaloo
I'm just wondering how the Rolling Stones weren't included in that list...

Sauron
dean may not be fan stick out tongue

i say we give him forty licks! of the cat-o-ninetails that is

ElectricBugaloo
sympathy for the devil

El_Barto
I dont like the Rolling Stones. Those lips freak me out

cLoVi€
sex pistols, the beatles, deep purple, Queen, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd
from poll

also oasis and blur yes

Sauron
oasis nothing on queen, the beatles, led zep, pink floyd etc

ElectricBugaloo
The other great band missing is The Who

Lurik
only other band/person whos good and not on that list is Billy Idol.

dean7879
sorry for not putting rolling stones in or the who and the clash but i coudnt fit them all in...i probably would of put rolling stones in ahead of judas priest but the stones didint come to my head at the time....zeppellin rules

dean7879
anyone like thin lizzy??

misha
okies im not british.....im not sure if this is a british band but i know it's englishj an it's "so solid crew" any1 else herd of em??? i luiv em!

Furious Angel
i voted for sex pistols, led zeppelin, pink floyd, and the beatles.....

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE CLASH!!???!?!?! THEYRE ONE OF MY FAVORITE BANDS!!!!

SeptemberRain
I second that! smile

ElectricBugaloo
The Who, the Rolling Stones and the clash deserve to be on the list more than anyone on the list except for the beatles, led zeppelin and black sabbath

dean7879
i forgot to put the rolling stones and the clash on the poll....they just didnt come to my head at the time....GIMME A GODDAMN BREAK!!! LOL

plenTpak52
The Who...All the way. Who could compare to the greatest live rock band of all time?

Hate to burst your bubble there, but go and take a listen to the song "Taurus" by Spirit.

See Me, Feel Me, Touch Me, Heal me

razzle_dazzle
i vote for queen...theyre just amazing.

razzle_dazzle
mad pleeeease tell me you're not actually saying that so solid crew are better than the clash, the rolling sones or queen.

misha
SO SOLID CREW!!

razzle_dazzle
are you seriously that deprived that you've never heard queen or the clash?

dean7879
so solid crew had a couple of cool songs but they are hardly great..
heartless crew are better..download them

misha
i deard of em...but don like their music!

Df02
omg lol, id hoped So Solid Crew had died by now stick out tongue
UK Garage died ages ago, hoped they went with them... its reverted to DnB and Jungle now, garage had a short and fruitless existence

thankfully

dean7879
anyone heard parisienne walkway by thin lizzy??
quality song

misha
df02, iv always respected u...but now u said that....sad

dean7879
whats your favourite album from the bands on the poll???

Alpha Centauri
Yes some of the best British bands are Queen, Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath.

Lest we forget other incredible bands such as Radiohead, The Cure, The Smiths, The Darkness, Muse...etc etc.

The list goes on and on.

-AC

ragesRemorse
yeah Muse is deffaintly a good band as is blur. One band i miss is Oasis, yeah Oasis diddnt have much of an edge,but there music still had presence to me. I think the Who should deffaintly be added to this list seeing how they had arguably the baddest ass drummer. As talent goes the beatles obviously stand atop the throne,but i believe there are greater tunes from the brits out there. Floyd was a great band i mean floyd was as passionate to his music as anyone else who has graced our ears with rock

Polly
sabbath, beatles and led.

Alpha Centauri
"As talent goes the beatles obviously stand atop the throne,but i believe there are greater tunes from the brits out there. "

The Beatles are great but I wouldn't put them above Sabbath, Queen, Thin Lizzy or Led Zeppelin. To do so is silly. They are all Rock bands and if anything The Beatles are the first boyband. Not so much Rock band.

When you consider all the British bands out, putting The Beatles at the top is rather silly. They could never write a songs like the bands mentioned.

-AC

ragesRemorse
The beatles could never write music like the other bands mentioned huh. Well the beatles were the first ones to open up the style of song writing that all those other bands go by. To say that the beatles could not write music like other bands that were inspired by the beatles is just silly. First off they were in a totally different time period. The beatles took on great controversial situations in there songs. They tapped a taboo way of thinking and put it right out in the opening for everyone to see. They even managed to do it in a way that was for the most part non offensive to most people. I'm not saying they diddnt try to push the envelope, the beatles help fuel the hippie mentality, with the added help of lenen of course. Frankly i dont believe you have heard enough beatles to have made the comment of them not being able to write songs like the other bands. they have some of the most influencial music, and song lyrics. No other badn has done or had the effect the beatles did and still remain to have over the world

m!$hA
so solid crew!!

dean7879
screw so solid crew..we are talkin great british bands here...
never really listened to that many beatles songs.....could anyone give me some of there songs to download?

zombieman
I not voting on principal because you missed out The Clash in that list.

dean7879
what good songs have they got

Gemini no Saga
the beatles , Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd : Old but the best cool

SummerSunshine
None messed

Gemini no Saga
SummerSunshine=>Do You dislike all bands of the poll??(or just those i quoted?)

Alpha Centauri
"To say that the beatles could not write music like other bands that were inspired by the beatles is just silly"

No...no it's not. Go listen to Led Zeppelin 4 and then come back to the thread. The Beatles had great talent and made great music. A truly great band. But they don't have the talent of the bands I mentioned. If they were around now they would have nowhere near the amount of acclaim they get. Ever since John Lennon got shot they had been continually labelled the best British band. It's nonsense.

I have every Beatles album they released, so before you claim I haven't heard enough, ask first. I just know my music and am not effected by nostalgia. Simple.

-AC

Victor Von Doom
So Solid Crew aren't music, they are garbage. Not bad music- actual household waste.

The Darkness do not suck, they are an awesome band.

The Chilis....are from LA.

Where in fricking crikey are Radiohead?

Bands do not get better just because they are moving further into antiquity, none of those have the ability of Radiohead, Led Zep included.

Kaleanae
London Calling, the call up, Clash City Rockers, this is radio Clash messed

Fearnix
Led Zeppelin darkness suck balls

Fearnix

Led Zeppelin are the best

Fearnix
black sabbath is the greats ever of all time but lets give zeplin uks best

finti
Just to be tecnical . Thin Lizzy was actually regarded an Irish Band and shouldnt be part of an best british band

Fearnix
lol true

dean7879
dont anyone like judas priest?

Alpha Centauri
The Darkness rule.

Led Zeppelin own shit though.

My favourite British band ever is Radiohead.

I like the odd J.Priest song and I really like The Clash.

-AC

Spicy_Mchaggis
the best british bands are - the streets, and muse.

Fearnix
how can you like the streets and muse muse are great and the streets are ...... well the streets

Fearnix
judas priest are F***ing amazing

dean7879
my favourite album from judas priest is screaming for vengence...quality album

Lames.s.
Iron Maiden....just out of principle

Alpha Centauri
The Streets are so mind-numbingly crap that the reason everyone thinks they are good is because it's unlike anything before really. That doesn't make it good. People confuse "unique" with shit.

-AC

el_barto
no

ElectricBugaloo
The Darkness are probably oen of the worst bands to come out in a while.

dean7879
worst bands????thats harsh...ive heard worse bands

Victor Von Doom
Well you know how fashionable backlashes go.

dean7879
do we

dean7879
zeppelin rules!!

PippinTook
Amen to that stick out tongue

ElectricBugaloo
meh.

zeppelin is the third of fourth best band on that list.

dean7879
to you perhaps What the f**k?
lol yeah u are probably right...i like sabbath and maiden better than them...

ElectricBugaloo
yeah, the Beatles, Sabbath and Queen are better, and so are The Who, who aren't even on the list.

dean7879
the poo more like big grin

finti
The Who what a great band

ElectricBugaloo
dean, you're just mad because much of what Led Zeppelin did was influenced by The Who.

dean7879
was they?? i didnt know that and i coudnt be bothered cos to me, led zeppelin are better cool

ElectricBugaloo
oh, it's sad the arrogance of people thinking their bands are above musical history...

el_barto
Lol. Yeah The Who kicks ass!

dean7879
why am i arrogent????????cos i like led zeppelin better???
attention people...if u like led zeppelin better than the who then you will be branded arrogent by the music expert electricbugaloo whistle

ElectricBugaloo
Nevermind, this post just smacks of humility.

eezy45
ZEPPELIN rockrock
MAIDEN rockrockrock
BEATLES rockrock

dean7879
you like the who electric, i like zeppelin...lets just leave it at that smile

finti
still doesnt hurt to have some knowledge of the band you like though

dean7879
so u are tellin me i have to study led zeppelin now..
id rather listen to there music thanx if its all the same to you

Alpha Centauri
Personally I prefer Zeppelin, Queen and Sabbath over The Who. But I prefer all four of the aforementioned bands over The Beatles. The Beatles I believe, wrote some incredible music but I think it's a stretch putting what were essentially the first boy band in the mix with some of Britain and the world's greatest Rock bands.

"black sabbath is the greats ever of all time but lets give zeplin uks best"

Black Sabbath aren't even the best British band ever. Let alone best of all time.

-AC

finti
yes I have read almost all material I have come over about the band, it has to do with interest

eeehh how do you make that possible since Sabbath is a British(UK) band too

BlackHatDefect
The Beatles!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tyring
Railer

dean7879
i like carcass...class death metal band

~*Auror_Chk*~
i voted for thin lizzy..they're pretty kool..but i like queen too..i only voted for thin lizzy cos dan from the darkness luvs them..woohoo but i hear they hav really great songs..

el_barto
That's because The Who is a better band stick out tongue

dean7879
cmon son, get a bloody grip of ya self.

fuct_up_kid
aww ya know what? i really like you dean. we have a considerable amount of none patriotic people in good old england but you can make up for most of them smile

dean7879
cheers wink just doin it for king and country...even though we aint got a king confused

amity75
Dean for some reason I think you're actually Steve Harris from Iron Maiden. All footy and England and Metal etc.

ragesRemorse
the who may be better, but zeppelin produces better sounds. To me Zeppelin was more consistant in making great tunes, every album was packed full of great god damn tracks that were instant classics, the Who fell off and on of consistantcy

el_barto
I was never really a Zeppelin fan. They sound really good, but they just don't match The Who in my book.

ElectricBugaloo
zeppelin liked to 'borrow' from blues songs without actually acknowledging the artists they 'borrowed' from.

kinda like Puff Daddy, only without knowledge from the previous bands.

finti
laughing out loud or Vanilla Ice, "huh it aint nothing like Under Pressure"

dean7879
whats wrong with that cool

el_barto
laughing out loud

dean7879
led zeppelin rules!! rock

ElectricBugaloo
i actually thought of Vanilla Ice as I typed that, bnut I thought i was being too harsh

finti
nah the guy is a moron he deserve ahrsh treatment

dean7879
laughing out loud

el_barto
yes

natalya719
I love Led Zeppelin...

natalya719
I also love the Beatles...

natalya719
Oh yeah...and the Whosmile

el_barto
eek! eek! love eek! eek!

Mr Zero
Where the hell are The Kinks? The Small Faces? The Jam? The Smiths? The Clash? Radiohead?

Lady_Moon
British bands? Well goodness, there are many that are quite good. They follow in no particular order either.

Led Zeppelin, Queen, The Beatles, The Who, Pink Floyd, Cream.

However...My personal favorites are Queen and Led Zeppelin.

dean7879
mr zero i couldnt fit them all on...led zeppelin rule big grin

el_barto
I have really only heard one Who cd (I hope to get more) But the whole cd has a wide range of sounds (Except a few songs that kinda sound the same)

dean7879
ive been listenin to pink floyd recently...they are pretty fantastic

dean7879
zeppelin does rule!

finti
Yeah I like Floyd too, not the greatest of party music when there are girls present but then again girls never understood music.

dean7879
true lol

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>