What are the best epics ever?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Drifter101
well i can only name a few, so please name more if you u want to then discuss which you believe are the best.

only ones i know are, LOTR, Troy, and um........... uh thats pretty much it for me, name some more please.

quiball
Gladiator, King Arthur, Alexander the Great, Braveheart (does that count?). sorry don't know many either confused

forumcrew
are you refering to old versions or just counting on king arthur and alexander to be great?

<<Solo>>
Gladiator, Lord Of The Rings, Last Samurai.

Thomas H
King arthur will rock!

Aku
Last Samurai is the best epic easily. Harry Potter and Mummy returns are supposed to be epics.

Besides how would you define and epic? Coz if it was a big film then it could be anything from x-men 2 to fight club.

Drifter101
yea i forgot to see last samurai as an epic thank you for enlightening me.

Aku
are you a bruce lee fan by any chance drifter? and if so your favourite movie with him starring innit.

Dario Argento
Spartacus

Drifter101
i am a bruce lee fan, and my fav bruce lee films are, Enter the Dragon, Game of Death (only the end fight) Chinese Connection.

Drifter101
sorry back to epics

lil bitchiness
Oh yes!! Absolutely. thumb up

Rambo
The Patriot

Aku
Last of the mohicans was the best epic aswell as last samurai although they were quite similar to some extent.

forumcrew
an epic is not a big movie and mummy and harry potter are not epics.to me epics are more large scale war type of thing they are also generaly very strong on a story mummy is a so so action adventure movie

eleveninches
Sparticus
Lawrence of Arabia
Ben Hur
LOTR Trilogy
Star Wars Sextet
Titanic
Braveheart
Troy
Lion King big grin

Drifter101
Titanic an epic? what how is that an epic movie, it is just a movie about a love, on a great ship that sinks. not that epic

eleveninches
Because of the scale of the production, and the fact that it got 11 oscars and was one of the biggest selling movies of all time (i personally dony like it, but it is still an epic movie)

burlyman
I hate Titanic sick

Planet of The Apes eek!

forumcrew
i dont think any of that qualifys it as an epic.. epic refers to the story
that simply makes it a blockbuster

Kes

Ushgarak
Wow, that takes me back...

Yup, Titanic is indeed an epic, a very solid one. In fact, here is a list to help you out:

Greatest Early Epic Films:
Judith of Bethulia (1914)
The Birth of a Nation (1915)
Intolerance (1916)
Orphans of the Storm (1921)
The Covered Wagon (1923)
The Ten Commandments (1923) (remade 1956)
The Thief of Bagdad (1924)
The Battleship Potemkin (1925, USSR)
Ben-Hur (1926) (remade 1959)
King of Kings (1927) (remade 1961)
Napoleon (Fr.) (1927)
The Sign of the Cross (1932)
Cavalcade (1933)
Cleopatra (1934)
Anna Karenina (1935)
The Crusades (1935)
The Last Days of Pompeii (1935)
Mutiny on the Bounty (1935)
San Francisco (1936)
The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)
Alexander Nevsky (1938, USSR)
In Old Chicago (1938)
Drums Along the Mohawk (1939)
Gone With The Wind (1939)
Northwest Passage (1940)
Ivan the Terrible, Part I and II (1944, 1946, USSR)
Wilson (1944)
The Best Years of Our Lives (1946)
Duel in the Sun (1946)
Anna Karenina (1947)
The Fountainhead (1949)
Madame Bovary (1949)
Samson and Delilah (1949)
Quo Vadis? (1951)
The Greatest Show on Earth (1952)
The Robe (1953)
Seven Samurai (1954, Jp.)
Sign of the Pagan (1954)
Giant (1956)
Lust for Life (1956)
The Ten Commandments (1956)
War and Peace (1956)
The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957)
Ben-Hur (1959)

Greatest Recent Epic Films:
Exodus (1960)
Spartacus (1960)
El Cid (1961)
King of Kings (1961)
How the West was Won (1961)
Barabbas (1962)
Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
The Longest Day (1962)
Cleopatra (1963)
The Great Escape (1963)
55 Days at Peking (1963)
Sodom and Gomorrah (1963)
The Fall of the Roman Empire (1964)
Doctor Zhivago (1965)
The Greatest Story Ever Told (1965)
The Bible (1966)
Hawaii (1966)
A Man For All Seasons (1966, UK)
The Sand Pebbles (1966)
2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
Patton (1970)
Ryan's Daughter (1970)
The Godfather (1972)
The Poseidon Adventure (1972)
The Godfather, Part II (1974)
The Towering Inferno (1974)
Barry Lyndon (1975)
Nashville (1975)
The Wind and the Lion (1975)
1900 (1976)
Star Wars Trilogy (1977)
Heaven's Gate (1980)
Reds (1981)
Gandhi (1982)
Dune (1984)
Passage to India (1984)
Once Upon a Time in America (1984)
Out of Africa (1985)
Ran (1985, Jp.)
The Mission (1986)
Empire of the Sun (1987)
The Last Emperor (1987)
Dances with Wolves (1990)
JFK (1991)
Malcolm X (1992)
Gettysburg (1993)
Jurassic Park (1993)
Schindler's List (1993)

Apollo 13 (1995)
Braveheart (1995)
Nixon (1995)
The English Patient (1996)
Kundun (1997)
Titanic (1997)
Gladiator (2000)
The Patriot (2000)
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002)
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)
Troy (2004)

Ushgarak
And here is a bit more:

"Epics are historical films that recreate past events. They are expensive and lavish to produce, because they require elaborate and panoramic settings, on-location filming, authentic period costumes, inflated action on a massive scale and large casts of characters. Biopic (biographical) films are often less lavish versions of the epic film.

Epics often rewrite history, suffering from inauthenticity, fictitious recreations, excessive religiosity, hard-to-follow details and characters, romantic dreamworlds, ostentatious vulgarity, political correctness, and leaden scripts. Accuracy is sometimes sacrificed: the chronology is telescoped or modified, and the political/historical forces take a back seat to the personalization and ideological slant of the story (i.e., the 'poetic license' of Oliver Stone's controversial JFK (1991) immediately comes to mind).

Epics often share elements of the more elaborate adventure films genre and swashbuckler subgenre (e.g., the Robin Hood tale of The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)). They may be combined with other genre types too, including:

epic/historical westerns (i.e., Cimarron (1930), Dances with Wolves (1990))
epic science-fiction (i.e., Star Wars (1977))
epic/historical dramas (i.e., Bernardo Bertolucci's The Last Emperor (1987))
epic war films (i.e., The Longest Day (1962))
unconventional epics (i.e., Robert Altman's Nashville (1975))
auteur epics (i.e., Coppola's Apocalypse Now (1979), Warren Beatty's period film Reds (1981), and theatrical director Julie Taymor's adaptation of Shakespeare's Titus (1999) (Andronicus) - her debut film with innovative production design)
Epics have existed since the earliest days of American cinema, from D. W. Griffith's ground-breaking The Birth of a Nation (1915), to the giant Civil War epic and Best Picture winner Gone With The Wind (1939), to the fairly-recent Schindler's List (1993), Titanic (1997), and Ridley Scott's Best Picture winner and revamped 'sword and sandal' epic, Gladiator (2000) (with state-of-the-art CGI visual effects). Irreverent spoofs of Biblical films have also emerged, such as The Life of Brian (1979), with the Monty Python cast.

Epics are often called costume dramas, since they emphasize the trappings of a period setting: historical pageantry, costuming and wardrobes, locale, spectacle, decor and a sweeping visual style. They often transport viewers to other worlds or eras: ancient times, biblical times, the Middle Ages, the Victorian era, or turn-of-the-century America. Unlike true historical epics, period films choose a specific historical period, and then superimpose fictional characters or events into the setting. "

Darth Revan
my head hurts sad

SW and LOTR... because I haven't seen most of those movies

lil bitchiness
Once Upon a Time in America is one of my favourite movies ever...its so tragic, but its awesome.

DIBWILLPAY!
I thought it was Mexico?

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Ushgarak

Spartacus (1960)
2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
The Godfather (1972)
Gandhi (1982)
Dune (1984)
JFK (1991)
Braveheart (1995)
Kundun (1997)
Gladiator (2000)
Troy (2004)

All greats... thumb up

Originally posted by Ushgarak

Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
The English Patient (1996)

I need to see those two. Especially since WillemGODafoe is in The English Patient.

siriuswriter
Obviously it's become a hard time to make an epic film - look at all those earlies and recents.In a where there is much war and tyranny, it's cost us even our movies.

Note : I love how "Troy" is just plopped on the end of the list. big grin

jinXed by JaNx
Gladiator
Trpy
Kingdom of heaven
Das Boot
Godfather
Once upon a time in America
Gangs of Mew York
Legends of the Fall
There will be blood
King Kong
Blade Runner
Star Wars
LOTR
Arn

just a few off the top of my head

siriuswriter
I love how many times Charlton Heston is in a movie on that list ....

"The Greatest Show on Earth" "The Ten Commandments" "Ben-Hur."

I've seen almost all of these movies. I'm glad they're being recognized for the way they are.

Lord Shadow Z
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

I don't really have much patience for longer films now although I have seen the some of the very, very long biblical films mentioned above by Ushgarak but only really remember the parts where things were moving along. I have'nt really wanted to attach to many of the modern epic sagas that keep popping up like HP, LOTR and POTC - just 'cause I can't see myself sitting through them.

When I hear cinemas doing all night LOTR deals like below:

http://www.viewlondon.co.uk/whatson/lord-of-the-rings-all-nighter-feature-event-4139.html

I get worried. I couldn't do it not even with the breaks they give you. For shorter, quicker films maybe I'd do it but...

Esau Cairn
I'm not a big Cruise fan & to see him as the lone survivor in The Last Samurai really turned me off enjoying the movie.

Wingsprint

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.