What is your favorite LOTR Battle and why?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Drifter101
which is your favorite LOTR (Middle Earth) battle? which you choose and why?

Thorondor
im gonna steal saurons answer and say the Dagor Dagrath stick out tongue (spelt it exa's way)

because everyone is in it and everyone dies except me big grin

Drifter101
sorry but the other post didnt have a poll this one will. what is your favorite.

Cynethryth

Thorondor
nah don't narrow it just to LoTR there isn't enough battles stick out tongue there's only really 3

Drifter101
i have a new thread of this, i forgot to click yes for poll go there, sorry for the inconvenience

Thorondor
Other lol stick out tongue

Drifter101
please reply in this thread instead of the other.

Cynethryth
If it's only these options... I choose the Battle of Fornost

Though it wasn't Wiki vs Gondor but Wiki vs Arnor stick out tongue ... nevertheless it has Wiki in it - and he wins! - so I shall vote for this one ^^

Though the Battle of Dagorlad is also great

Trickster
The battle of Five Armies was great!

But in the film - I guess Pelennor fields(the one outside Gondor right?). *drools*

Thorondor
who voted for helms deep?

Trickster
Oops, my bad. Is it Fornost? The battle outside Gondor?

Trickster
Ah, screw it, I'm voting for the Five Armies!

Sauron
i would say either

last alliance- i fight and am defeated but i take the elven king of whom the harpers sadly sing and elendil down with me

i would say battle of unnumbered tears for the same reason exa did

i would say the five armies because the main character is knocked out by a rock and thorin dies.

but i must say my favourite middle earth battle of all time would have to be...

Trickster
Frodo versus Sam!!!!!!!!!!!!

"GO HOME!!!!!!!"

shadowy_blue
Just battles or can we also include some fights between two people only?

For battles:

Most exciting battle, for me, would have to be The Fall of Gondolin from The Book of Lost Tales II. Great build up to the battle as the troops marshal themselves to fight the Balrogs, dragons, and the waves of orcs. Lovely individual fight scenes - Ecthelion vs. the Balrog, e.g. The descriptions of this battle in the Book of Lost Tales II was better than that in The Silmarillion, IMO.

Because of the huge scope, many heroic deeds, and tragic events and final stands, I would also go with Nirnaeth Arnoediad. It seemed to be a great victory, but turned out to be the greatest and the final loss of the Noldor. And it shows greatly the deeds of Hurin Thalion and his brother Huor and the Men of Dor-lomin. It was so well crafted, with tragedy, valor, bravery, friendship and horror mixing perfectly in their limited descriptions in The Silmarillion.

The War of the Last Alliance. Man, that battle rocked! Wasn't the host of Men and Elves the most magnificent since the host of Nirnaeth Arnoediad? The coolest thing-they won. Nirnaeth Arnoediad was lost, Dagor Bragollach was lost, but this was the battle that shaped the future of Middle-earth til its end-and it was won, and decisively. True, Sauron did regain much of his former strength, but lost it in the blink of an eye once Gollum fell into the Crack of Doom.

The Dagor Dagrath (LOL..I'll join with Exa, you'll never get wrong stick out tongue ) I'm always having some goosebumps whenever I read the Prophecy of the Last Battle. And of course, The End of the World is always awesome. shifty

As for the most thoroughly crafted battle, I would have to say it is the Battle of the Pelennor Fields. It's not because it was the biggest or the scariest or anything like that, it's just because of the major events that happened within. There are so many different angles (the Ride of the Rohirrim, Faramir retreating from Osgiliath, the coming of Aragorn, the battle of Merry and Eowyn against the Witch King, Gandalf's various deeds, etc.), all brought together by an overwhelming sense of grim resolve and dire hopelessness. I was compelled with Gandalf saying that the whole battle was just a destruction, and the real battle was with two Hobbits, out there alone.

For just the fights:

I liked the fight between Sauron and Felagund. Not so much the actual fight, but the idea. A song-fight? I might actually win! big grin

Gandalf vs The Balrog was immense! It went on and on until Gandalf finally struck down his foe. Full of tension, I'm hyperventilating again!

The fight between Fingolfin and Morgoth. 'Nuff said.

But the best fight would be...the one fight we never really get to see...the one that went on in Frodo's mind against the Ring. wink

Sauron
no mention of sauron fighting one on two with galad and elendil

shadowy_blue
Sauron, I wasn't really compelled with that fight. Sorry. no

Sauron
but it was one on two!

one! on TWO!!!

sad

nazgulinthedark
the plenor feilds and helms deep are my two favorites, but i picked plenor fields cause they got the ringwraiths

Sauron
but they are wraiths on wings smile

arent you a frim horrors on horses fan?

ladygrim
my fav battle is \helms Deep

Agent Elrond
Pellennor Fields was great, visuallyDagorlad was also great. There were some many battles and they all were great (expect the dwarves and orcs wars, they're not too important)

Discos
I chose Pellenor fields, of course baby!

although the battle of the last alliance was fairly kick ass. The war of wrath sounds great

Drifter101
if all those battles were to be put on film i believe that the full battle battle, Dagorlad would be the best battle, but on film of course is the Battle of Pelennor.

Agent Elrond
Who died in the 5th battle of beleriand. I got Huor, and Azaghal and know that Hurin was captured. Who else died in the battle. (besides thousands of men and elves and dwarfs)

Discos
ah, I am not up-to-date with that chapter as of late

ask Exa would be my best guess but I am sure it would be some high dude in the Edain

Agent Elrond
i forgot about Fingon. He got killed too. Also, some easterlings were killed, but they're not important

Discos
ah thats right, Fingon

in that case it must be near chapter 18/19?

AngieD
Uhm.. datz very difficult... Pellenor Fields, that's great, because you see how much they love Gondor and Rohan, and all that.. well, I cried in this scene, (well, I cried in the hole movie, so... embarrasment wink ) uh... the battle at the gates of mordor was amazing... (I love this movie soo much) Aragorns speech in front of the gates was so wonderful, in this scene, my hole body was fascinated... it was ingenious...
I was 12 hours in a theater, at a Lord of the Rings - night... the room was full with fans... I really enjoyed it...

yea.. bbye

(sorry for my English, but I'm a young Swiss girl... embarrasment smart )

Angie big grin

ladygrim
i liked the battle at the end of rotk it was cool

Discos
the battle of the black gate kind of wasnt shown enough, as the climax moment of frodo and sam's journey was happening at the same time and the movie shown more of Sam and Frodo....

Aragorn and the troll was a bit weird though, the troll "could" have killed him in mere seconds

ladygrim
i know but it was good rather fetching aswell.... it was near the end of the movie which meant it had finished and i didn't want it to finish

Cynethryth

Discos
at the black gate Cyn?

Cynethryth
In the Nirnaeth Arnediad stick out tongue

wink

Discos
ah right,

Spartaz
Pelennor Fields is like an improved version of Helm's deep. I like them both almost equally nevertheless.

Discos
not really, ringwraiths wern't there.....they didnt sling catapults of rocks back and forth, trolls wern't there, oliphunts wern't there, a charge of two allies didnt take place

Discos - even though it was the same place in New Zealand big grin

Agent Elrond
^ you're right. They torn down Helm's Deep and added Minas Tirith.

Discos
lol I know thats what I was hinting, said it in a documentary i watched

Discos - or was it the second disc on the dvd confused

Drifter101
lets just say this the battle at the black gate was too short. And if the other climax wasnt playing at that time and we saw that battle more, it may have been one of the best.

Agent Elrond
The Black Gate battle was a minor battle even in the book, although the mouth of sauron scene was cut out.

Drifter101
even if minor, if they for some odd reason there wasnt a frodo climax and they let us see the battle for the battle it would have been a good, one

Discos
yeah the mouth of sauron scene shall be awesome in the EE

it seemed that Mount Doom was veryvery closer to Bara-a-dur than it appeared in the two towers and also on the plaisn of Gorgoroth where sam and frodo were. Also they seem fairly space apart according to maps i have seen

Drifter101
i was somewhat hoping the DVD give us a month to which the EE is to be released, but instead we get nothing, only hint i got was coming this holiday season on a coupon, and the mag w/ the dvd said before christmas, too far away if u ask me

Drifter101
the battle of the five armies would be interesting if it were filmed, ive always wanted to see a army of dwarves fight, charging.

BloomBabyGirl
the witch king 1 jus cuz legolas kicked ass wit the elephant n a girl killed da bad dud.

xmen fan
i agree bloom!becuz,legolas is just too hot there!

Cynethryth
blink

What does Legolas have to do with the Witchking ( pray )? You mean the whole battle of Pelennor? smile 'twas great yes
But I still prefer the Last Alliance yes

Discos
damn I hate these shortened words......even more so on the bleeding internet

Drifter101
its a big fight in the most part between Pelennor Fields and Dagorlad (last alliance)

Cynethryth
... though most people that only know the film voted for Pelennor.

Interestingly there are also several votes for the wars of Angmar against Arnor around Fornost yes

Sauron
eek!

Drifter101
still very surprised there are very few votes for the last alliance, there are alot of Fornost votes, somewhat surprising.

Agent Elrond
Fav Battle in 1st Age: 5th Battle of Beleriand
2nd Age: Dagorlad
3rd Age: Pelennor Field

orlisgrl15
Pelennor Fields because its awesome as shi*, exciting and...just because it is

Agent Elrond
The 5th Battle of Beleriand aka Nirnaeth Arnoediad aka Battle of Unnumbered Tears was the saddest event to occur in all of Beleriand. Many elves, men and dwarves were slain, but those responsible for it, the SoF, all survived.

Dagorlad was great because it was this massive battle of men and elves against orcs and the power of Sauron.

Pelennor Fields rocked b/c it was visual and it involved many different armies: Gondor, Rohan, Dol Armoth, Orcs, Haradruim, Easterlings and Varigs

Lianslo
I do love Pelennor Fields...cuz Legolas is such a gamer! But i aslo love helms deep....i love it when the elves come...and then when gandalf comes, just when you think all is lost they end up kicking some orc butt! smile

Cynethryth
yes sad

I think Tolkien also did a great job describing it in the Silmarillion - all the small steps, one after the other, inevitably leading to the fatal and tragic defeat of Maedhros' Union

Interestingly it isn't Melkor who is responsible for the beginning of this battle, but the elves... yet it was the most fatal one for the Unions of the West.

Definitely my fav battle in the First Age smile

Drifter101
man i can just imagine those battles on film, if they were just to film them just for the hell of it, it would be great.

Agent Elrond
I would blame Nargothrond and Doriath for not sending large amounts of troops to support the Union, though it was ultimately the SoF fault. Maedhros was right about having all the elves join together,l but creating a war was a bit too but.

Drifter101
man they really should make some film like the History of Middle Earth or something.

Agent Elrond
no, there's no real story to it, other than the facts of ME.

Drifter101
i do know Tolkien wrote even more books to add on the history of middle earth, they should have like some history insite w/ video or something, i have the book, History of Middle Earth.

Agent Elrond
there are 12 HoME, just so you know

Drifter101
yes i have a few volumes, the whole set is kinda expensive

Discos
you have "a" book What the f**k?

Drifter101
several volumes of The History of Middle Earth vol. 1-4, and i do have the hobbit and the trillogy, if thats what u meant by "a"

Drifter101
im gettin 5 more this summer.

Cynethryth
Topic, oh, topic, where have you gone?
offtopic

Yea but in the end it was the fault of Feanor's sons with their stupid oath and their unwillingness to cooperate with the other elven lords in the beginning
Fingon's deed couldnt wholly bury the disagreeings between their houses

But with larger troops from Nargothrond and Doriath and a little more thoughtfulness, they would have won the battle I think

And they definitely would have if humanity wouldnt have been so treacherous

Drifter101
yea off topic i know but they were asking bout it, so i do think battles of middle earth should be filmed, but it would be somewhat pointless.

Agent Elrond
If the easterling weren't there they could have won. It was said that it was the treachery of men that turned the tide or something like that. I don't have the book with me

Lurik

Lurik
The War of Wrath was the final battle against Melkor Morgoth Bauglir, at the end of the Quenta Silmarillian, in which he was defeated, and cast into the Void.

Agent Elrond
War of the Wrath was alright, but the Valar being their kinda made it one sided

YjefferY
I would have to say the Battle at the Pelennor Fields.

Why? it's the climactic battle. Eowyn and Merry made their mark, everyone (well, almost) was there...

and just the sight of the Rohirrim rushing in on their steeds, and of Aragorn leading the Army of the Dead....whew!

Exa
True lol,
but the Historyofmiddleearththing was really offtopic big grin

I don't think the battles should be filmed no
I really loved the Battle of Pelennor and the one in the Hornburg in the films,
But I don't think the battles of the Silmarillion are the right ones to be made into a film no

Was my fav quote some months ago big grin

Yet neither by Wolf, nor by Balrog, nor by Dragon, would Morgoth have acheived his end, but for the treachery of Men

big grin

Discos
on film yes.......but in the movies the army of the dead dont make it to minas tirith.

But aragorn leads them in non the less through the mountain (wasnt it like 200-300 miles they travelled?)

Discos - sod that

Lurik
Tsk,tsk

Thorondor
i don't want the battles made either i have a better pic in my head lol, but i would like to see Tuor and Voronwe going through the 7 gates of Gondolin that would rule smile

Drifter101
well of course if the hobbit is made one more battle will be filmed, and that is somewhat encouraging, even though it only go one vote, still one more battle on film.

Discos
the battle of the five armies?

ladygrim
i know i loved the battle at the hornburg .... while i rite this i am tlistening to that track on the c.d yay ...but even tho the books invovle the battles thhe movies get to into them and probably show to much of them ...

Drifter101
yea the battle of five armies

Drifter101
that would be a somewhat entertaining battle to see on film

Discos
I suppose......the alliances of races.....yarr!

Drifter101
yea

Lurik
No, it's all about the Dagor Ainaruth!
The battle of Holy Wrath!

Agent Elrond
explain that. I never heard of that battle, or it called that way.

Lurik
Well, it's the last battle of the Silmarillion. The "War" of wrath, it's called there.
I think Dagor Ainaruth is FanFic, but it fits.

Agent Elrond
I thought it was that. I never heard it called that. Name fits. Ainuir are the Holy Ones

Lurik
Xactly.

Agent Elrond
The WoW was alright, but very one sided

Arroch

Agent Elrond
how would u say War or Wrath in elvish?

Arroch

Lurik
Who knows...as I said, it was FanFic, so it isn't perfectly written as in quenya, or Sindarin.

Fëanor
my favorite was the sack of Gondolin...

Lurik
Yeah...that was killer....

ladygrim
sad

Arroch

ladygrim
sad

Discos
ah the "slaughter" of Gondolin was grreeeat to read, foolish little prince have to squel to the whereabouts of where Gondolin was actually at,

lol and he had togo back to the place and walk in like everything was alright....*sigh*, such sadness

Discos - but they still seemed to save Glamdring roll eyes (sarcastic)

grishnakah
i thought the battle of the five armys was awsome, because there was thorin and co, the men of dale gandalf bilbo the elves and the orks and dont forget beorn.

Drifter101
wow still surprised the last alliance got so few votes

I am a Sock
In the Sil, the Fall of Gondolin kinda sucked. No more than a few pages in the book. How long did the elves hold out for?

Montross
The battle of Pelennor Fields...cool!!!!

Discos
Last Alliance was great but isnt in depth enough for me in the book The Rings of Power,

the elves should have held out for a long time as (I think) there was gateS there to block any attack......but they had no warning or understanding of an attack

Arroch
The really cool version is in the Lost Tales, it's great... and a LOT longer and more detailed, especially with explanations of the different Houses of Gondolin and their "fates" in the Ruin of Gondolin... I loved the story of the House of the Hammer of Wrath, each single of the members died... cry

Drifter101
yea

Drifter101
well anyone else thinks differently on the winner of the battle choices?

Drifter101
man thread untouched for like month n a half

ladygrim
dunno if i have been in here but mines hems deep .... (the beginning )

Darth Sauron
I dont know
My favourite in the LotR films changes all the time.

Sometimes its helms deep, i just love the way they fight with absolutely no chance of winning, i love the tension when you see the orc torches marching over the horizon, I love the line "the war has started" i love the way the first orc falls, and all hell breaks loose.

But Then theres the pellenor fields....
I love that battle, basically because of the rohirrim, their wrath and total desperation, their hate everything about it is nerve wrenchingly brillaint.

ladygrim
indeed

Bantache
Pelannor fields because of the Witch King, and he dies. And the whole hobbit heroism.

Kella
You took the words right out of my mouth. big grin

ladygrim
indeed both battles are extremly well done and good to watch

Elessea
they are both brilliant eek! i like hte way the dead just sweep over minis tirith at the end. and when it shows the rohirrium coming from all sides eek! Its amazing!!! until the mumakil come that is stick out tongue

Quendiñoldo
I would have preferred to see Dagorlad, or even the War of the Jewels. eek!

naybean
I cant choose between helms deep and pelennor fields. helms deep is great because its the first big battle and because it seems hopeless. But, pelennor fields has oliphants!

Exabyte
laughing The whole War of the Jewels took more than half a millenium laughing

But it has several of the greatest battles in it yes
Like the Nirnaeth droolio

ladygrim
when eva i see pelennor fields i always think of flowers(poppys)

i dont know why tho..

kanis
alien Helms deep easy, the way the battle's were fought and how aragorns coomand was excellent and of course gimli and legolas's enemy kill count shouting.

Telperaca

Drifter101
they should have shown more of the last alliance that was good from what i read and what i saw shortly

Baby Beast Boy7
my favorite lotr battle would probably be fornost or however its spelt stick out tongue
because the witch king is in it and he's got this koooool spikey mace (i think it wieghs about 50 lb.!! eek!

Exabyte
The Fall of Fornost? eek! great battle... poor fortress laughing Witchy's armies just crushed it...

Was more than 1000 years before LOTR though confused

Dazzler619
My favorite battle was when the king's daughter defeated the leader of Sauron's army in Return Of The King.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.