How do you know if someone is telling the truth about a illness

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ash007
Ok the thing about the web is that you get to meet lots of wonderful people. smile

But sometimes a person or member can be lying about a illness or a different situation just to get attention sad . For people like this i feel sorry for because they have to lie about there situation just to make friends.

But sometimes i have my doubts if some members lying or telling the truth because sadly form past experience they have been lying.

So what should we do in this situation because it seems these kind of people need help, should we reply to there post??

What are your views and opinions.

yerssot
the only thing that can make it clear if it's a lie or not is to check the medical story they told...

ie, lets say someone just had a cold, and that person goes on about having to get their kidney taken away or something.
hugely exagerated and so, but you get the point with it, right?

lil bitchiness
Hmmm...I dont think you can know for sure really...but one thing is for sure, those people who are ill, do not make threads about themselfs being ill nor are they getting other people to do so.

ash007
yeah but there some members on this site saying how they have cancer and i am just wondering if its true or not

yerssot
lets keep this abstract instead of creating a war

Darth Revan
Well, not only illnesses, but claiming to be suicidal, etc. Hard to tell which stories are true. With illnesses, sometimes it can be easier to tell because of what yerss said, but with social issues/depression, it's a lot harder... Though usually if somebody is having major problems in their family or something, they'll just leave

LanİeWindu
It can be hard to tell the truth from the lies, but I disagree with lil b on the point of people with illnesses not making threads about it.

I would think that if the person just found out about their illness, they might make a serious thread in the GDF explaining their situation, so to let people know why they might not be themselves, or for their lack of being on KMC. Also the internet could be the easiest way to deal with the illness, by talking with good friends that you find on here, you can cope with it. I know that when I had a health problem I was really worried about I told a few choice friends via IM, and they helped me with it. Sure I didn't make a thread about it, ut it's the same deal.

You never know though, some people out there are just looking for some cheap attention from people they will probably never meet. I myself do not lie to people about who I am, or what I look like, or how sick I am, because I hope to meet some people on KMC, and for them to meet someone completely different than what they expected will prove the lie. Then you wouldnt have that person as a friend anymore, and they could tell someone else, etc.

It's all about ethics, some have great ethic standpoints, while others...well, they have none.

Just believe the person until a flaw in their story comes up. Then you will know who is the liar and who is truly sick.

yerssot
and I have to disagree with you lance...

there is a HUGE difference between making a thread (doesn't matter if it's GDF or not, just where you know the most people I take) and telling a selected few through IM or PM... if you make a thread about it, you tell EVERYONE even those you don't like or don't know at all. And if it's a serious illness, I am rather sure you don't want to tell every single person on the net about it. There is a difference if you do it through PM or IM cause you select the persons and you only tell it to those you know well and those who you know would help you as good as they can.

And I also think that making a thread about why you're not online enough isn't a reason to "reveal your illness", people would rather say they have familyproblems or whatever instead of being ill.

ash007
indeed i agree

big gay kirk
I treat them as if they're telling the truth unless I have good evidenceto the contrary... remember, how you act says everything about you... if they are lying, let it trouble their conscience... by trying to help, you show what a good person you are, and maybe encourage any liars to mend their ways... as I said to my "little sis" Nicki the other day... "what person A says about person B says nothing about person B, and everything about person A..."

WindDancer
It comes down to credibility. I don't like to be suspicious, but there are times in which I question a person intentions when they mention an illness. Sometimes I feel guilty for being doubtful. But from past expirience I have learn to be cautious. Anyways, I always wish ppl the best whether they are ill or having a good time. I just like to keep a positive attitude all the time.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.