How Did You Become A SW Fan?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Corsie
I thought it would be interesting to know how everyone became a SW fan because I`m sure everyone has different stories and it will be cool to hear them. So start posting ladies and gentlemen!!

moonwalker741
my bro bought the OT special edition on vhs...then i jus followed that till episode 1...

LordRevan
well the first time i saw it i was 8 and i thought it was the best sci-fi film i ever saw and i still do ever since than i acted like i was in the starwars universe. But that was 11 years ago. How did you become one?

speiderman
Well actually I started to first know Star Wars around the age of 10. That is when I watched the original trilogy over and over again on video. Then around the age of 14 I got hooked on the X-Wing series books. Ever since then Star Wars has really been one of my hobbies.

spadesmamma61
Good Q Corsi! It was the summer between my sophomore and junior year in high school. I had heard that There was a new sci-fi movie coming out. Now growing up a fan of Star Trek and Battlestar Galectica (yes I know, I've heard it all before) I was psyched to see this new movie. Went on the night it opened, went back on Sat and Sun. I loved it. I loved the effects, the whole "hugeness" of it and most especially the story. After that I never looked back. Everytime a new one came out I was there. I bought all the videos and now have the CD's of 1 & 2. I know there are alot of people who hate the prequels, but I am not one of them. It's possible to be a pure Star Wars fan without dissecting every bloody piece of the movie. It's simple.....it entertains me...that's it...and that my friends is why I go to the movies! Altho, I find as I get older I do get more analytical...for example...if the score of a movie blows it bugs me alot. But I'm proud to say I've loved every tiny minute of these movies and now my kids are hooked. Come next May...I'll be there no matter what! wink

Corsie
Actually, I didn`t become one until I was 12. I had heard about SW before and had no interest in it because I thought it was all wars and it was stupid. Then one day my sister was watching Episode 4 and I became hooked even though I only saw part of it. I watched the trilogy countless times and when Episode 2 came out a little while after that I totally loved it. Ever since I have loved all the SW movies and I can hardly wait until Episode 3 comes out.

Sith Master X
I guess what made me a SW fan was watching ANH for the first time when I was 7. I liked it so much that I made my parents rent the next two movies ESB, and ROTJ. I've been in love with SW ever since.

SMX
cool

Darth Ravenous
The wonders of the lightsaber

Sith Master X
I was fascinated with the lightsaber as well, especially when I saw Vader's for the first time in ANH.

SMX
cool

spadesmamma61
You know, I would still kill for a real light saber even today! I want one like Darth Maul's! Just realised with my previous post that my age is showing! eep! messed

yanglike
I was 8 when I saw my first starwars movie ANH on vhs and I dreamt about it all the week after. I was so impressed by this movie, especially Vador, that I keep dreaming about Starwars even these days. At that time I also collected all the figurines and used to bring Luke and Vador everyday with me at school.

Corsie
Yah, I definitely loved the lightsabers.

sugarhiguy555
Well, my dad had just bought all the starwars movies and he wanted me to watch them with me. so i stopped playing with my legos and sat down to watch. i was very bored in the beginning of ANH and just sat. then, when obi1 slices that dudes head off in the tatooine bar, thats when i got restless! i couldnt sit still i was so excited!!! i watched and watched and i cried when obi1 died. then when we watched ESB i was so scared of that snow monster!dumdedum, blahblah.... then, the next day we watched ROTJ. best starwars yet! o man. i watched the darth v luke scene over and over and over. my dad bought me those glowing luke and vader lightsabers and i would force my dad to reinact the scene with me. i havent stopped watching since. but that was 8 years ago (im 13). so yeah. Happy Dance

Creechuur
Wow, wasn't anybody alive when the OT hit theaters??? I feel so old.

I was 5 years old in 1977. I saw a preview for Star Wars on Creature Features, the local late night horror movie show that played on the weekends here in the Bay Area. The clip showed a part of Luke and Han at the Falcon's turrets, shooting tie fighters, "Don't get cocky, kid!". I still remember how awestruck I was. It was all over after that, I was bugging my mom until opening day.

I saw Star Wars at the Old Mill theater in Mountain View CA. The line for the movie went around the shopping center twice.

spadesmamma61
Ok I cant help myself..........wth is OT?

Creechuur
Original Trilogy

big grin

spadesmamma61
Creeture LOL GO BACK AND READ MY POST!!! I was 16 when OT hit the theatres...I was there for all of it! lol

LordRevan
boy you are lucky! thumb up

Creechuur
So, me and Spade are the old folks, huh?

Lyn
My parents were both into the films. My Mum's a Trekkie...hehe but luckily, they both loved the films. They had them on VHS. I can't remember how old I was, maybe 8 or 9...I'm not sure but I sat down and watched them with my parents and my brother. I simply fell in love. Leia was just SO incredible!! The storyline; the Jedi, the lightsabers...I mean...woah...I just remember enjoying the experience so much. The music for me, was like a window. Lame, I know...but it just opened my eyes to such a wonderful world of music and emotion...I believe to this day, that it spawned my interest in music.
Anyways...when EpI came out, my family went to see it and my love was given new life...laughing All new characters, like Padme and Qui-Gon and a chance to truly see what happened to Anakin. Then came Hayden and with it, the exciting prospect of finally seeing him fall to the darkside. I fell in love with SW all over again.

Woah...sorry for the rambling there people...I can't even begin to express how much I adore these films...

Darth_Duffy
i had a day off school and was bored then all three of the OT were on in a row on a sky movie channel so i sat and watched them, i was surprised how much i loved it

dragonx
i was 4 years old when i saw my first SW movie that was in 1981 it was like entering a magical world, from there on i tottaly got hooked on SW the older i got the more stuff i started 2 buy but now these days i am taking it a bit more eassier big grin

Creechuur
Seriously Dragon. Star Wars has taken quite a chunk of my funds over the years. I've had to cool it as well.

Lyn, dont even be embarrased about rambling, this is Star Wars we're talkin about!

yanglike
I remember at school I used to tell my religion teacher that I believed more into the force and obiwan being my god more than Jesus. Duno if this happenned to some of you but in my school I was the only one thinking this way eheheh

Corsie
Originally posted by Creechuur
Wow, wasn't anybody alive when the OT hit theaters??? I feel so old.

You`re lucky that you were alive when SW first came out. It would have been so cool to be there and see the OT in theaters.

Darth_Greg
It was 1978, over a year after it first hit theatres in my area, and I was seven years old when I saw Star Wars, A New Hope. My brother took me to see it and I was hooked from the opening scene. We went back the next week to see it again before it left the theatre for good. Of course that was well before VCR's so many years would pass before I would see it a third time..4th..5th..100th..etc

finti
I saw Star Wars when it first came out in 1977 and was sold

@F1
I saw Empire before New Hope, and it blow me away, i remember seeing the AT AT's, the duel with Darth and Luke, it my Favourite.

I was 7 when A New Hope came out, seeing all the hysteria on the news.
How Lucas filmed model shots in his garage, i was fasinated by the models. And then ROTJ, the swarm of Tie fighters attacking the Millenium Falcon "Theres to many of them".

Creechuur
I saw Star Wars 9 times in the theaters, Empire 6 times, and RotJ 8 times. This was back before VCR's y'know!

darktim1
I first saw episode4 when I was two years old and was hooked I even collected the toys but now I just collect the starwars posters because I have collection room for now may force be with you all.

WindDancer
I really don't consider myself a dedicated fan of Star Wars. There are many things I love about SW. But I don't consider myself a fan 100%. I guess you can consider me a fan on a regular basis, but NOT a fanatic.

Sacrifise666
when i was 3 or 4 my mother showed me these films and i became a fan since then.

Darth Venom
I watched the film then i was a fan.

LanİeWindu
I was, I think 3 and my uncle got me to watch the movies, and he dressed up as Vader once and I automatically knew who it was. I've been a fan ever since.

Even my 13th birthday party was Star Wars themed, and my uncle showed up in his Vader outfit and lightsabers and we had duels.

Darth Venom
laughing

captainmidnight
these are all great posts,i was 6 when i saw ESB my uncle took me,i just remember i was in awe,each character was just unique to me,i was scarred of darth vader,and cried when luke got his hand cut off,shocked when i found out darth was lukes father,and of course the mighty lightsaber just amazed me,i'm in my 20's now,and i still buy the merchandise,i play with the lightsabers i bought with my niece all the time,and i think my favorite moment in star wars history was when luke wipped out a green saber in rotj,i must of seen it 5 times in the theatre becouse of that green lightsaber...

@F1
|<>| |<>|

|<>|

H H I like the B Wings, perculiar looking
H H H

Creechuur
I remember being sooo scared of the mynocs in ESB. When that thing hit the Falcon's cockpit window I freaked! The cave on Dagobah was pretty creepy too.

What can I say? Gross things scare me more than big hulking things.

LanİeWindu
o0o man, the Dagobah cave scared the hell out of me.

The first time I saw it I didn't realize it was only a vision, and I thought Vader was Luke's evil twin.

Colabee
After watching Jedi when I was small and the rest as they say is history smile

orbob
Believe it or not, I was an extra in what is now known as Episode 4!

victodor
Well,if not for SS,I would not be here.But I am now proud to be a SW fan!I found his site,and became fascinated with SW.

Darth_Duffy
"Believe it or not, I was an extra in what is now known as Episode 4!"

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

cornponious
Clarify, please. Were you an extra in the ORIGINAL film, or were you digitally inserted into the re-release?

Just wondering.

corn

Creechuur
It just scares me that SS is introducing people to Star Wars. That would be like eating fruit for the first time and not realizing its made out of plastic.

No offense, SS is just such a kook.

Corsie
Let`s try not to make this thread about ss.

Vader Raider
Never got over seeing the ORIGINAL STAR WARS for the first time in 77 then a few months later meeting Darth Vader two times, Must have seen that movie 30 times that year.......

Who here can deny Star Wars is an experience not just a movie. big grin

Lyn
True huh?? Nah...I just didn't explain very well...I just love the films far too much to express in words.

laughing Wonderful analogy...

I completely agree with you there VR...!!

punkkaveman
I agree Vader because when I was younger I had a Star Wars themed sleep over and it was my first time seeing it so me seeing it was a real experience.

aracai
I was about 4 years old when my dad bought me c3po toy from some country and said to my mom that this star wars movie is very big hit around the world. couple of years later when we got the videos, first movie i ever rented was ANH...same time ESB hit the theatres and i really got hooked. Been SW-fan about 20 years now...and i have to thank mostly Mr.Lucas for my career as an artist, maybe i would have not been so interested in drawing without Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader.

Corsie
Did you meet David Prowse or did you meet one of the other actors who portrayed Vader?

Vader Raider
No In 1977 Lucas did a promo tour around the US with Darth Vader in the Original movie used costume he signed autographs, It was very cool but it was not Prowse that played him it was a guy From DP Studios...

Here are some pics I took in 1977...

http://pic1.picturetrail.com/VOL108/966484/4109240/55034301.jpg

http://pic1.picturetrail.com/VOL108/966484/4109240/54623324.jpg

Corsie
You are really lucky.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.