Most popular Anime?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

.hack//love
I'm trying to find out which Anime is most popular. Please put your thoughts here.

BlackHatDefect
well...most popular is different than the bestyou know...id say in japaN ITS Chrono Crusade,Full Metal Alcamest,or OnePeice..in america though..mainstreem rules...basicly,americans have no taste.Id say its probably Inu-****ing-Yasha

Battosuai_Tim
everything .hack
Rurouni Kenshin (Samurai X)
Inuyasha
Yu Yu Hakusho
Trigun
Dragon Ball(all of it)
Cowboy Bebop
FLCL
Wolf's Rain

Any others?

Gregory
Yu Yu Hakusho was massively popular in Japan; I believe that it outsold DBZ at one point.

Battosuai_Tim
Yeah, Dragon Ball sort of has a lot of related stuff throughout, right, which I mean reviving people with Dragon Balls, the enemies getting annoying, long battles that take 15 episodes to watch that take place in a 20 minute time period(Frieza vs. Goku), and the good guys mostly always winning the big battles? For YYH, it's ALL different, which I mean like in the tournament, watching it for the first time, you never know who will win or lose their battles. Probably YYH outsold DB because YYH had non-similiar stuff in it. It was all different.

.hack//love
I think I agree with Battosuai_Tim. In America those seem to be really popular but I think Chobits is taking off pretty well here too.

El_Barto
I'd say DBZ is the most popular (Every one knows what DBZ is)

SuperSayinGoku
DBZ and DBGT but DBZ is better its storyline is awesome!!

Shinobiprincess
Naruto is pretty popular in Japan.........

BlackHatDefect
yeh i know,thats cause Japan rocks shinobi

Gregory
DBZ barely has a coherent story-line.

Eccentric
I would say Dbz, and it does have a story line. You just have to watch it and know the history. Have you watched it Gregory?

Gregory
Yes, I've watched it. I've read the manga. I suppose I should clarify my remark.

Dragonball Z does not have a story in the sense that, say, Record of the Lodoss War or Berserk has a story. It is the animated equivilant of an anthology of short stories, each of which happens to star the same characters. The various sagas, although they reference each other, are self-contained stories. Although Dragonball Z has a single, general premis, it has no single, coherent storyline. Ranma 1/2 would be an example of another anime like this.

Each of the other animes I just mentioned are like an animated novel. They have a single, coherent storyline, with each episode building upon that story, until the series reaches its (single) climax.

dj_matrix
er....DBZ

Battosuai_Tim
I never hear talk of the original DB anymore. To me, I sort of like DB better than Z, but GT is getting good. I'm where they are on CN when Goku is in his monkey form and about to kick Baby butt.

Anyhow, DB had more adventure in it, and unlike DBZ in some ways, it followed more of a story. Here's the rundown:

Emperor Pilaf Saga-At the end, Goku says goodbye to Yamcha and the others and goes off to Master Roshi's to train.
Tournament Saga-Goku arrives and then meets Krillin. He then enters the tournament.
Red Ribbon Army Saga-After the tournament, he says goodbye again and goes off to look for the Dragon Ball his grandpa had. He also runs into the Red Ribbon Army.
General Blue Saga-After Bulma joins Goku in the search for Dragon Balls, they soon run into General Blue, one of the most dangerous of the army.
Commander Red-After beating Blue, Goku continues on and meets new friends and hopes to take down the army.
Fortuneteller Baba-Goku takes down Black then goes to find more DB, but has to fight enemies for Baba.
Tien Shienhan-Goku continues on to train for the upcoming tournament.
King Piccolo-King Picollo spreads his reign of terror about the earth.
Picollo Jr.-Before being completely destroyed, KP left another him behind to get revenge on Goku. He also fights in the tournament.

And that's it!! I think I did alright. To me, the WHOLE DB series follows a story, wouldn't you say? Not like Z, there's a whole bunch of stories(in a way.)

Gregory
The original Dragonball was more entertaining, and at least marginally more coherent than DBZ.

Trinity_Matrix
I'd say Cowboy Bebop and the Gundam series are probably some of the most popular...

Kaleanae
Is Pokemon anime?

Gregory
Yes.

BlackHatDefect
Pokemon is most definatly .The animation isn't of the best qualitty,but its anime.Actually,although its too drawn out,im 14 years old and i love it^_^

Gregory
That was uncalled for.

Kaleanae
14... now I know what are you calling people names
Well good for you...

Arachnoidfreak
i personally dont consider Pokemon, Yu Gi Oh, Beyblade, or any other cartoon that was made basically for marketing purposes, anime. i call them cartoons. they just happen to be made in the japanese style.
i also dont call Dragonball Z or GT anime, they are just action toons. i do consider the original Dragonball anime though. fairly good(and oroginal) story and cool fight sequences. DBZ and DBGT are just long drawn out repetitive action battles. Goku dies every saga for craps sake!

Gregory
... you do realize that anime is simply Japanese animation, right? It has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the show.

Reborn Again
Ranma 1/2

Arachnoidfreak
well no shit. of course i do. that is exactly why i said "personally i dont consider them" they are obviously animated in the japanese style, and that technically makes them anime. doesnt change the fact that they suck.

and Ranma 1/2 f*cking rocks. the manga was the first bit of japanese culture i ever tasted, and have been loving it ever since.

Gregory
Anime is Japanese animation. You personally don't consider these examples of Japanese animation to be Japanese animation because they suck? Um ... whatever floats your boat, I guess. But Ranma 1/2 does kick ass.

Arachnoidfreak
maybe i chose the wrong choice of words, but whatever, if you cant see my point, ill think of something. and nothing you or i(or anyone else for that matter) can say will change the fact that they suck.

BlackHatDefect
Eell thats a matter of perspective,i think Pokemon,Digimon,YugiOh,ect is really cute...one main thing is to not jusdge these anime on their dubbed-ness(actually the original YugiOH was really violent/the Pokemon was really sexual)i guess theres somthing good to say about any anime.I can't stand the critisizum these 3 get...expecially because their aimed at younger audiances.Well,at least i HOPE you people who critisize them know this.

Arachnoidfreak
i know Yu Gi Oh was originally violent, that was a kick ass season, too bad they'll never bring it to america. they really downplayed it though and made it crappy. i know they are aimed at younger audiences...and when i was younger i hated them too. i was like...13 when Pokemon first came out in the US? i still hate it. maybe because i dont like 'cute and cuddly' things

BlackHatDefect
yeh...Pokemon monsters tend to be a bit on the cute siide..-_-

Kotaro
what about chobits i think there the cutest of all anime

Trinity_Matrix
I love Digimon...and if you've ever read the Yugioh manga, it's really violent. I don't care for the Yugioh anime, and I used to watch Pokemon, but I really haven't watched it in about 4 years.

mirror
Um, among the actual anime watchers I know, the most popular is Trigun, definately trigun.

.hack//love
Ok well it looks like DBZ is really popular. It's kind of strange though beacause I don't really like DBZ. Oh well this isn't for my opinion alone though.

vaya_the_elf
I think Cowboy Bebop is because I have not even gotten to see it, and I know about it. A lot of my friends love it. And I am suppose to see it sometime with one of my friends.

Freddy_vs_Jason
Blackhatdefect please don't call people names, argue with thier opinions but do it fairly and polietly.

I think Pokemon and Dragonball Z are the most popular.

BoXs
i think DBZ is OLD ... O-L-D ... it was like 10 years ago ... u like it is because u never really seen anime such as eva n stuffs like that ...

the best anime got to be:

evangelion
naruto!!!
one piece
hunter x hunter
cowboy bebop
akira (such a classic)
hellsing
trigun (but is it just me or are the eps from 1 to like 6 or 7 kind of boring??)

WindDancer
Hmmm.....I think Akira and Robotech would be on the top for most popular.

I personally like that classic Robotech series. happy

((The_Anomaly))
actually the most popular anime ever is Hello Kitty....lol, i bet u never thought that, the next is DBZ

((The_Anomaly))
and i am serious about hello kitty.........as weird as it is

Turkish
What about these.?
Gundam
Robotech
Saint Seiya (aka 'Knights of the Zodiac')
Hokuto no Ken (aka 'Fist of the North Star')

crazy_c
I thought Hello Kitty was a french cartoon?

BoXs
ya robotech rox ... but one of the serie of robotech really sucks ... i forgot its name ... something about the main character being a rock star ... he like use a guitar to control his robot ... that one was really bad

have u seen the new saint seiya??? ... its drawing is good ... but the figtings r like dbz ... takes like 5 years to start

'Vegeta'
The best Anime to me would have to be Akira, or Ninja Scroll, personaly those are just my fav's

Joker1237
I go With Cowboy Bebop or Vampire Hunter D

Cat Girl Sheryu
*agrees with Joker1237

((The_Anomaly))
nope its not..is anime...well sort of

Cizal

.hack//love
I've never heard of that show Cizal. Oh well.

A.marie
uhh i think
FLCL
Rurouni Kenshin
Yuyu Hakusho
Dragon Ball Z
or Dragon Ball
Evangelion
Pokemon
Gundam
Trigun
Cowboy Bebop
and Yugi-oh.
Yugi-oh sucks though, no offense.

el barto
Dragonball Z is the most popular.

Yuna33
i must agree with el barto!big grin

fungrl515
yeah, i agree with A.marie and el barto.

Cizal
Sadly, I'm forced to agree, because there are FAR better animes than DBZ around.

el barto
YES! MORE PEOPLE AGREE!

crazy_c
i agree with the dragonball z thing.....

maverickeagle
mecha.
specially Robotech, Macross, Mobil Suit Gundam (Universial Century series), Mobil Suit Gundam Wing, Mobile Suit Gundam Seed, and Patlabor.

animeelf
i just saw ep 5 of Hellsing cause that's all i could get so far. and it looked hot. a little weird. but hot.

but i'd have to say dbz, sailor moon (cause it was my first), cowboy bebop, samurai x, and inuyasha, OH! and outlaw star!! big grin

'Vegeta'
Dbz is cool along with cowboy bebop and akira

greywind7h31337
ghost in the shell and ninja scrolls are kool 2 and definately rk

'Vegeta'
Well personaly i am ganna have to say Akira For the best and Cowboybebop for the next best and the third would go to Ninja Scroll Those are just my top 3

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.