The Filipino Club

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jury Copeland
I don't know. I just want to start this one. Since I saw the "Spanish Club" thread, I just like to create this one, too. I know there are Filipinos in here, so we can talk anything about the Philippines, the Filipino language, and everything you like... likewise, we can meet our fellow KMC-Filipino forumites here. cool

Tex
I'd love to visit the Philippines one day! cool

Jury Copeland
And you'll never regret that, I swear. cool

Jury Copeland
Learning the FILIPINO Language

Here are some English-Filipino translations that are mostly and commonly used.

How are you?
Kumusta ka na? (asking a singular person)
Kumusta na kayo? (plural)
Kumusta? (slang and indefinite but commonly used)

varieties: Kumusta po sila? Kumusta na po kayo? Kumusta po? (these depend on WHO you're greeting is)

I love you
Mahal kita (singular)
Mahal ko kayo (plural)

varieties: Mahal na mahal kita, Mahal ko po kayo

Thank you
Salamat
Salamat po
Maraming salamat po, Salamat po nang marami (thank you very much)

What is your name? ---> Ano'ng pangalan mo?
Who are you? ---> Sino ka?
Where do you live? ---> Saan ka nakatira?
Where did you come from? ---> Saan ka nanggaling?

I'm fine ---> Mabuti naman ako
Yes ---> Oo, Opo
No ---> Hindi
None ---> Wala

That's all for now. big grin

Jury Copeland
Well, nobody's interested about the Filipino thing, I guess. no

Jury Copeland
Momentarily... Let me introduce to you some of the Filipinos' prides with respect to sceneries and places.

Here is Mt. Mayon - the world's real perfect cone.

Jury Copeland
Another is the Taal Volcano - the world's smallest active volcano.

Jury Copeland
The Chocolate Hills

Numbering more than a thousand, these hill formations in Bohol are one of the country's most fascinating and spectacular scenes. No one can say whether they are natural or manmade but they seem to have been there since the beginning of time. Their appearance changes according to seasons. Their coating of grass turns green during the rainy season and brown during the dry season, like giant chocolate drops. Thus the name chocolate hills was formed.

Jury Copeland
The Banawe Rice Terraces - one of the world's greatest wonders

Devalion
I find it interesting! I work with a few filipino women at work....and its fascinating to hear them talk to each other. And they're so lovely!

Jury Copeland
yes

shake zula
o, bakit ngayon lang 'to... ang tagal ko na dito, ngayon lang nagkaganito. ayos...

wassup JC... where you from?

Alias_Neo
i wish i was Philipinono expression

shake zula
what's with the face?

Alias_Neo
im pissed, cus im not Philipino

Fëanor
one day you shall, but first it's spelled with an 'f'.... stick out tongue

born there...raised here...don't know the lingo... sad

shake zula
it's alright man, nobody's perfect...

Jury Copeland
I actually thought the same.. that's why I made this thread. wink

Taga-Iloilo City ako. Ikaw?

Feanor!!! Really? So you're a Filipino? You born here... but grew up there... juz like Camille Velasco (American Idol). She was born here but grew up in Hawaii.

Jasmine Trias is too a Filipino coz her father is a Filipino. But she was born and grew up in Hawaii.

See how Filipinos born talented? That's the real Filipino blood. yes

Lea Salonga who sang Mulan's Reflection likewise performed as Kim in Miss Saigon is a true Filipino.

Ms. Regine Velazquez, Asia's Songbird
Ms. Lanie Misalucha, Asia's Nightingale
Ms. Pilita Corales, Asia's Queen of Songs

all Asia's prides.... are all true Filipinos.

That's why I'm very proud to be one. cool

Jury Copeland
Additional info about...

The Philippine Tarsier

The world's smallest monkey (about as small as a mouse) found only in the Philippines.

shadowy_blue

Regal_Shock
kumusta ka na ako ay isa pang filiphino

Jury Copeland
Yeah yeah.. I know that. big grin

Jury Copeland
Btw, Tristan, were you born in Philippines?

Regal_Shock
yes and we travel together oh yeah if you think were soul mates you guys are nuts

Regal_Shock
yeah sure (being sarcastic)

Regal_Shock
woops wrong thread

Jury Copeland
confused

Jury Copeland
so where in the Philippines? Me, in Iloilo City... So I can speak Ilonggo - a Hiligaynon dialect, as well as Tagalog. Do you get what I mean?

Regal_Shock
i go all over the world i know about 12 languages

Jury Copeland
Wow, can you enumerate what languages those are? (see? you admit you're tristan! you told me on the other thread that you're not laughing ) just to remind you... i'm a psycho-profiler... and what you did is pretty obvious, friend. Be careful next time not to mess up. wink

Regal_Shock
what the non mio luka

Jury Copeland
Okay. If you're luka then so be it. But that doesn't mean I believe in you. Coz you replied on me 'Yes" that you are Tristan. So for me, you are Tristan. I know that you were the trv16 and raven61 before and you introduced yourself to me as Tristan. I hope you remember that. wink

So what are those languages you speak? CAn you tell me what are those?

Regal_Shock
i was on the wrong thread oh yeah my friends are laughing their heads of because o f you

Regal_Shock
damn you got me there

Myth
laughing I'm just going to keep my mouth shut. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Regal_Shock
hello have you got my private massage yet

badkittykitty
I think would be in your best interest to reply to mine Tristan

Jury Copeland
laughing

Regal_Shock
wher myth is she or he here???

Jury Copeland
no i don't know.

Myth
I'm back (he). Why?

Myth
Just curious, are you still claiming to be Raven61(etc) or are you 'just a friend'. Its confusing which role you are at what moment.

Jury Copeland
Stop asking him with something like that.. coz he won't tell you anyway. wink

He'll get confused. laughing

Myth
laughing

yes

shake zula
angeles city, sa pampanga. i've been to iloilo once a while back. sarap ng seafoods... napaka-fresh...

Devalion
Hey.........Kumusta na kayo?

shake zula
what?!?! you're one of us too? excellent!

Fëanor
i was born in Mindanoa...Davoa city...stayed until 6 in Cebu...then moved to the states...

Devalion
Unfortunately no, but I'd liked to learn some of the language.

Myth
I was born in Oregon! eek!

shake zula
crap! you got me all ecited and sh!t...

well, if you pick up on spanish (d@mn spaniards) very well, it's easy to learn our language.

FrothByte
im originally from baguio... currently working in makati. i've never been outside of the philippines, hopefully one day i cud get to travel. im pretty fluent in tagalog, a bit of ilocano also.

shake zula
welcome to our club... musta?

FrothByte
ok lang. medyo walang ginagawa. smile kaw?

shake zula
sa bahay... nababato...

FrothByte
hehe, same here. ay may tanong ako sainyong lahat. anybody know the english translation of the word "tampo"?

shake zula
as in "nagtatampo"?
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

isip muna...

moonwalker741
fLiP PrYde !!!!

filipinos rule...!

....but sry i dont speak filipino

shake zula
it's all good. as long as it's in your blood.

Rogue Jedi
flip floppin?

Jury Copeland
Tampo... confused Hey, why can't I get into it? I don't know what's the English of 'tampo'. "Tampo" is something a lower degree of being angry... but couldn't think of the exact term. confused

Jury Copeland
Additional Info about...

The Philippines' Four Major Religions

1. Roman Catholic

Jury Copeland
2. Iglesia Ni Cristo (Church of Christ)

Jury Copeland
3. Protestants (No picture)

4. Islam

realworlddreams
hoy! anyone here know who Rex Nevarette is? best comedian in the world

Jury Copeland
uhuh yes

Jury Copeland
...and Manny Pacquiao? big grin

shake zula
the pacman got cheated yo! mad

Jury Copeland
yes but the Philippines didn't care...

He's still the CHAMPION.

Fëanor
'tampo'...like all things that change so did this word...originally spanish 'tampoco'...which has no exact defination in english other than 'a little of' but very vague...eventually the filipino language which is very colloquial changed it to suit our needs...

Jury Copeland
yes

Jury Copeland
Do American-Filipinos here know or at least remember the Philippine National Anthem? Here it is...

Bayang magiliw
Perlas ng Silanganan
Alab ng puso
Sa dibdib mo'y buhay.

Lupang hinirang
Duyan ka ng magiting
Sa manlulupig
Di ka pasisiil.

Sa dagat at bundok
Sa simoy at sa langit mong bughaw
May dilag and tula at awit
Sa paglayang minamahal.

Ang kislap ng watawat mo'y
Tagumpay na nagniningning.
Ang bituin at araw niyang kailanpama'y
Di magdidilim.

Lupa ng araw
Ng luwalhati't pagsinta
Buhay ay langit sa piling mo.

Aming ligaya
Na 'pag may mang-aapi
Ang mamatay nang dahil sa 'yo.

big grin cool wink

Jury Copeland
The Leaf Musician

He became famous around the world for his distinct talent. The Guinness Book of World Records has recognized Filipino National Artist Levi Celerio as the only man who could play beautiful music with a leaf.

Celerio appeared in "That's Incredible" and the Mel Griffin show where he played music with a leaf. The Guinness Book of World Records said: "The only leaf player in the world is in the Philippines". As a composer and lyricist, Celerio wrote more than 4,000 songs.

Jury Copeland
The Woman With 3,400 Shoes

Former First Lady Imelda Marcos was listed in the Guinness Book of World Records as the woman with the largest collection of shoes. Reports said that when the Marcos family fled to Hawaii during the People's Power Revolution in 1986, around 3,400 pairs of shoes were discovered in one room at Malacanang Palace. They were the First Lady's collection.

In 1987, Mrs. Marcos denied this and claimed she had only 1,060 pairs of shoes. The former First Lady has an eight-and-a-half inch footwear size. She said her having many shoes is not a symbol of extravagance but an expression of love and appreciation for Filipino-made shoes. Most of her shoes, she added, were bought from Marikina, the shoe capital of the Philippines. For this, Marikina City had acquired 200 pairs of the Marcos shoes and put them on display at the city's shoe museum.

Jury Copeland
World's Fastest Reader

As a student at the Northwestern University in Chicago, Illinois, Maria Teresa Calderon became the world's fastest reader. She set the record of having read 80,000 words per hour.

Jury Copeland
World's Largest City

The residents of Davao City claim they live in the world's largest city. They are talking about the land size of the city that covers 2,212 square kilometers. Most of these areas, however, are distributed as forests, coconut groves and rice fields. In comparison, New York, the largest city in the United States, has an area of only 787 square kilometers while the whole of Metro Manila covers only 636 square kilometers.

Davao City lies at the mouth of the Davao River near the head of Davao Gulf. It encompasses about 50 small ports in its commercial sphere. Davao has large banana plantations, whose produce are exported to Japan and other countries. The city also boasts of a modern international airport. Puerto Princesa City, a chartered city of Palawan province, is disputing Davao City's title. It claims to have a total land area of 2,539 square kilometers encompassing 66 barangays.

In terms of population and land area, the world's truly largest cities are Tokyo, Mexico City, Sao Paolo, New York City, Bombay, Shanghai and Los Angeles.

Jury Copeland
World's Largest High School

The Rizal High School in Caniogan, Pasig City (eastern Metro Manila) is said to be the world's largest high school in terms of student population. The school has more than 20,000 students.

Jury Copeland
World's Largest Volume of Text Messages

Smart Communications, one of the two giant mobile phone networks in the country, claimed that the volume of text messages passing through its network reached 240 million daily as of 2001. This excluded text messages sent via the other networks. Such volume of text messages is said to be larger than those sent in the entire European continent during the same year.

Jury Copeland
Additional Info about...

The Filipino Inventions/Inventors

Karaoke Inventor

Roberto del Rosario, a Filipino is claiming the right for the invention of the Sing-Along-System (SAS) that eventually led to the development of Karaoke, a Japanese term for "singing without accompaniment". Among del Rosario's other inventions were the Trebel Voice Color Code (VCC), the piano tuner's guide, the piano keyboard stressing device, the voice color tape, and the one-man-band (OMB). The OMB was later developed as the Sing-Along-System (SAS).

Inventor of Incubator

Fe del Mundo, the first Asian to have entered the prestigious Harvard University's School of Medicine, is also credited for her studies that led to the invention of incubator and jaundice relieving device. Del Mundo, an International Pediatric Association (IPA) awardee, is an alumna of the University of the Philippines (UP) College of Medicine. Since 1941, she has contributed more than 100 articles to medical journals in the U.S., Philippines and India. In 1966, she received the Elizabeth Blackwell Award, for her "outstanding service to mankind". In 1977, she was bestowed the Ramon Magsaysay Award for outstanding public service.

Fluorescent Lamp Inventor

Many Filipinos acknowledge Agapito Flores as the inventor of the fluorescent lamp, which is the most widely used source of lighting in the world today. The fluorescent lamp reportedly got its name from Flores. Written articles about Flores said he was born in Bantayan Island in Cebu. The fluorescent lamp, however, was not invented in a particular year. It was the product of 79 years of the development of the lighting method that began with the invention of the electric light bulb by Thomas Edison.

Among the other inventors who claimed credit for developing the fluorescent lamp were French physicist A. E. Becquerel (1867), Nikola Tesla, Albert Hall (1927), Mark Winsor and Edmund Germer. French inventor Andre Claude was recognized for developing the fluorescent tubular lighting systems. Yet, he was not officially recognized as the inventor of fluorescent lamp. It was reported that the General Electric and Westinghouse obtained Claude's patent rights and developed the fluorescent lamp that we know today.

According to Filipino scientists, fluorescent lamp was not named after Flores. The term fluorescence first cropped up as early as 1852 when English mathematician-physicist George Gabriel Stokes discovered a luminous material called "fluorspar", which he coined with "escence". The National Academy of Science and Technology also dismissed Flores being the inventor of fluorescent lamp as a myth. "No scientific report, no valid statement, no rigorous documents can be used to credit Flores for the discovery of the fluorescent lamp. We have tried to correct this misconception, but the media (for one) and our textbooks (for another) keep using the Flores example," a Filipino scientist wrote in her column at the Philippine Daily Inquirer.

The fluorescent lamps were introduced into the U.S. market in 1938. Still, Filipinos recognize Agapito Flores as the inventor of the product that illuminated the world.

More to come... cool

Jury Copeland
World's Largest Fish

Donsol, a fishing town in Sorsogon province, serves as a sanctuary to a group of 40 whale sharks (Rhincodon typus), which are considered as the largest fish in the world.

Locally known as "butanding", whale sharks visit the waters of Donsol from November to May. They travel across the oceans but nowhere else have they been sighted in a larger group than in the waters of Sorsogon. They measure between 18 to 35 feet in length and weigh about 20 tons. In 1996, a marine biologist discovered that whale sharks are ovoviviparous, which means that the females produce live offspring from eggs hatched in the uterus.

The Philippine government declared whale sharks as endangered species in 1998, thereby banning its plunder and exploitation. Right now, the Department of Tourism is promoting eco-tourism to protect the whale sharks in Donsol.

World's Smallest Fish

The world's smallest freshwater fish is found in the Philippines. The dwarf goby (Pandaka pygmaea) measures 1.2 centimeters or less than half of an inch, the tiniest known vertebrate. American Ichthyologist Albert Herre first discovered it in Malabon River in 1925.

The Philippines is also the home of sinarapan, the world's smallest commercial fish. Sinarapan, scientifically known as Mistichthys luzonensis, is a goby found only in Lakes Bato and Buhi in Camarines Sur province. Sinarapan grows to an average length of 1.25 centimeters, only slightly longer than the dwarf goby. Today, unabated fishing in the two lakes threatens the population of sinarapan.

Jury Copeland
World's Largest and Smallest Shells

Both Tridacna gigas, one of the world's largest shells, and Pisidum, the world's tiniest shell, can be found under Philippine waters. Tridacna gigas grows as large as one meter in length and weighs 600 pounds while Pisidum is less than 1 millimeter long. A shell called glory of the sea (Connus gloriamaris) is also found in the Philippines and considered as one of the most expensive shells in the world.

Jury Copeland
World's Largest and Smallest Bats

The Philippines has at least 56 species of bats. It is home to the smallest and the largest bats among the 1,000 known species in the world.

The smallest bat in the world is the Philippine bamboo bat (vespertilionid), which belongs to the vespertilionid family. This bat measures about four centimeters (1 1/2 inches) in length and has a wingspan of 15 cm. Approximately, it weighs 1.5 grams (1/20 ounce).

The three-layered virgin forest of Subic Bay and Bataan is home to the world's largest bats: the giant flying fox (Acerodon jubatus) and the golden crown flying fox (Pteropus vampyrus). Over the years, these two species of giant fruit bats have roamed around the 10,000-hectare Subic Forest National Protected Area, which is considered the biggest roosting site of bats in the world.

An ordinary giant flying fox weighs up to 2.5 pounds (1.1 kilograms), heavier than a golden crown flying fox. The golden crown measures six feet in wingspan, the largest among all bats. The giant flying fox and the golden crown are just two of the 15 species of fruit bats in the country.

In other parts of the country, several bat species are now believed extinct. Among them were bare-backed fruit bat or Dobsonia chapmani, which reportedly disappeared from the forests of Negros and Cebu in 1964 and the Panay fruit bat or Acerodon Lucifer which was last seen in 1892. The Philippine tube-nosed bat, Nyctimene rabori of Negros is considered highly endangered. Scientists warned that this breed would disappear before 2015 unless action is taken to protect its remaining population.

shake zula
iskolar ng bayan reading smart

Jury Copeland
big grin May I ask....

What was the name of the boy who just recently won in the Starsearch?

His last name, if I remember, is Mejia... but forgot his name...

sure thing is... He's a Filipino yes big grin

shake zula
sori, di ko alam eh erm

beastnpyro
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa i neva knew therer filos here!!
kamusta?? nababad trip na ko dito... andaming bwiset... hmph!
teka.. mukang konte lang nagpopost dito ah

Jury Copeland
bnp dude... so are you really a Filipino?
Langya ka big grin the first time i saw your pic in the members' picture thread... i suspect you're a filipino coz you really look like one. smile
So, naalala mo ang Omega Red FanArt ko noon? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Btw, were you born here in the Philippines or what?
Ako taga-Iloilo City ako.. Ikaw?

cool

beastnpyro
yeah... dyan ako pinanganak.. taga olongapo ako (luzon)... pero hulaan mo!! lolz... yung mothers side ko ilongo! wakekekekekekekek
maayo gab- i sa imo! bilat sang karne.. madamo sang panulay diri sa kmc!
hehe... nagbibisaya kasi sila lola dun sa bahay dati eh kaya mejo nakakaintindi ako... (for fun lang ba)

beastnpyro
oo.. ang ganda ng fanarts mo!! lolz.. bilib nga ko eh... hehehe inget ako... nde pa kasi ako gaanong magaling mag drawing eh....

Jury Copeland
laughing ti ma-Ilonggohanay na lang kita eh... ugaling budlay mag-type sang Ilonggo kay kabalik-awot... Tagalog pa lang gani budlay na... Ilonggo pa. laughing out loud

I hope you understand that. big grin Pangit nga lang basahin pero masarap pakinggan di ba?

no About your arts? Those were really good! Lahat ng marunong magdrawing.. MAGALING... Nasa tao yan kung paano siya mag-appreciate. yes

beastnpyro
hehehehe... oo naintindihan ko... lolz.. nde ko nga almg i-spell yung mga salitang yon eh... hay nako... hehe.. salamat pre.. hehe.. antagal ko na ngang nde nakapasok dito eh... nabad trip kase ako.. may nakaaway akong mga taga dito.. hehe... nde ako pwedeng mag salitang banyaga.. maiintindihan nila ko eh... hehehehe

Jury Copeland
ako iwas gulo lang... kahit alam kong hindi na tama ang ginagawa nila... bahala sila sa buhay nila... pkialam ko, di ba? big grin

meron din namang mangilan ngilan diyan na mabuti rin... gaya ni Paola, alam ko kilala mo yan... Clovie, DezW, flavio, Kol, Vampiree, kofmaster...ikaw... dito sa Filipino club thread... at halos lahat ng nasa X-Men Forum gusto ko maging best buddies... pag wala lng akong ginagawa dito kaagad tambayan ko... paminsan minsan na rin ang punta ko dito sa KMC kasi ang ibang buddies ko pminsanminsan na rin.

cool

beastnpyro
yun nga masaklap dun eh... si kofmaster yung nakaaway ko.. kase nagchachat kame sa msn ayun.. naasar saken.. sinimulan nya kaseng asarin ako eh... ayon inasar ko ren sha... napikon.. kaya nde kame naguusap ngayon... pero yung iba ok lang... nde nga lang ako natutuwa sa karamihan sa xmen thread.. nung una kong punta dito ok lang... pero nung tumagal lumabas mga ugali nila... kaya nde nalang ako nagpupupunta dito... asar talaga

sith_darth_jay
yo no hablar filipino sad

KUMUSTA? ..... eek! sounds just like spanish

como esta?
kumusta? how are you? eek!

beastnpyro
thats actually it.. they are the same.. we juz spell it the way we pronounce it.. and if i aint mistaken u also pronounce it "comusta"
we filos use alotta spanish words in the philippines.. (basically sum of us are half spanish or sumfin)
lamesa, banyo, mangas and sum other words that im sure u know... hehe
JURY= PUTANG INA!! NAIINIS NA KO DITO!! BUSET! musta na ba? nawala ka bigla nung isang gabi ah...

Jury Copeland
BNP -> pasensya na kung di ako nkapagreply kaagad... sira lng talaga computer ko sad ... pero, wala na akong macomment sa huli mong sinabi... kasi pareho namang kayong naging mabuti sa kin ni kof... kaya wala akong magagawa sa kung ano man ang nararamdaman mo sa kanya, di ba. Normal lng yan siguro.. kasi iba-iba ang ugali ng mga tao... I know you understand that. Ako, kapag hindi na maganda ang sinasabi sa kin ng kausap ko... no comment na lng ako... no big deal... para pag-aksayahan ko pa sya ng panahon... ba't naman ako magpapaapekto.. bakit, kilala ba niya ako? kilala ko ba siya? So parang ganun lng.

One thing, though... hindi ko gusto ang sinabi mo sa last post mo... nakaaddress pa naman sa kin... actually in my entire life... just to be honest... hindi pa ako nagsalita nang nagmumura...

But, don't worry, it's okay... I can accept that as an expression...
pero.. SANA.. h'wag nang maulit.

cool

INGAT

Jury Copeland

Jury Copeland
This was her winning peace...

BL0NDE AND BLUE EYES
- Patricia Evangelista

When I was little, I wanted what many Filipino children all over the country wanted. I wanted to be blond, blue-eyed, and white.

I thought -- if I just wished hard enough and was good enough, I'd wake up on Christmas morning with snow outside my window and freckles across my nose!

More than four centuries under western domination does that to you. I have sixteen cousins. In a couple of years, there will just be five of us left in the Philippines; the rest have gone abroad in search of " greener pastures." It's not just an anomaly; it's a trend; the Filipino Diaspora.
Today, about eight million Filipinos are scattered around the world.

There are those who disapprove of Filipinos who choose to leave. I used to. Maybe this is a natural reaction of someone who was left behind, smiling for family pictures that get emptier with each succeeding year. Desertion, I called it. My country is a land that has perpetually fought for freedom to be itself. Our heroes offered their lives in the struggle against the Spanish, the Japanese, the Americans. To pack up and deny that identity is tantamount to spitting on that sacrifice.

Or is it? I don't think so, not anymore. True, there is no denying this phenomenon, aided by the fact that what was once the other side of the world is now a twelve-hour plane ride away. But this is a borderless world, where no individual can claim to be purely from where he is now. My mother is of Chinese descent, my father is a quarter Spanish, and I call myself a pure Filipino- a hybrid of sorts resulting form a combination of cultures.

Each square mile anywhere in the world is made up of people of different ethnicities, with national identities and individual personalities. Because of this, each square mile is already a microcosm of the world. In as much as this blessed spot that is England is the world, so is my neighborhood back home.

Seen this way, the Filipino Diaspora, or any sort of dispersal of populations, is not as ominous as so many claim. It must be understood. I come from a Third World country, one that is still trying mightily to get back on its feet after many years of dictatorship. But we shall make it, given more time. Especially now, when we have thousands of eager young minds who graduate from college every year.

They have skills. They need jobs. We cannot absorb them all.

A borderless world presents a bigger opportunity, yet one that is not so much abandonment, but an extension of identity. Even as we take, we give. We are the 40,000 skilled nurses who support the UK's National Health Service. We are the quarter-of-a million seafarers manning most of the world's commercial ships. We are your software engineers in Ireland, your construction workers in the Middle East, your doctors and caregivers in North America, and, your musical artists in London's West End.

Nationalism isn't bound by time or place. People from nations migrate to create new nations, yet still remain essentially who they are. British Society is itself an example of a multi-cultural nation, a melting pot of races, religions, arts and cultures. We are, indeed, in a borderless world!

Leaving sometimes isn't a matter of choice. It's coming back that is. The Hobbits of the shire traveled all over Middle-Earth, but they chose to come home, richer in every sense of the word. We call people like these balik-bayans or the 'returnees' -- those who followed their dream, yet choose to return and share their mature talents and good fortune.

In a few years, I may take advantage of whatever opportunities come my way.

But I will come home. A borderless world doesn't preclude the idea of a home.

I'm a Filipino, and I'll always be one. It isn't about just geography; it isn't about boundaries. It's about giving back to the country that shaped me.

And that's going to be more important to me than seeing snow outside my windows on a bright Christmas morning.

MABUHAY. And Thank you.

Jury Copeland
How nice her speech was... She really brought me into tears.
cry

Now here she is...

shake zula
nostalgic song of the day...

minsan by eraserheads...

Ellen
shake zula tagalog kaba din?

kumusta kana pero hindi kita kilala ako lang ba dito and bisaya or...?

shake zula
tagalog at kapampangan. matagal na 'ko dito... late 2003 pa.

Ellen
ok ako bago pa pero marami and post ko big grin
sino yang bata sa sig mo? ikaw bayan or ang anak mo?

dragonpisces272
lol i knew there would be one these one day...but hello to my fellow flips out there raver

beastnpyro
sowee jury.. hehehe... hmmmnn.. madame palang filos dito... kala ko ako lang... hehehehe... its good that jury came up wif this thread... **Sigh*** any filos here in ozz?? hhhmmnn.. am in griffith... 6 hrs from melb and 6 hrs from syd den... hahanap kase ako ng mga totropaheng pinoy dito eh... (iba kase ugale ng mga puti.. napapaaway lang ako madalas.) anyways.. gandang gabi senyo... hehehehe

Ellen
kanino ka nakaaway?(shesmosa) you know ako din kala ko din that ako lang and filipino dito!

shake zula
ako yan. wala pa akong anak. ako yan 20-22 years ago...

beastnpyro
yung mga puti dito... hehehehe... kase naman mga arse holes eh...pati nga mga tropa ko hinahamon ko ng sapakan pano ang sasama ng ugale... anyways... taga san ba kayo??
musta na zula? (nalimutan ko pangalan mo habang tinatype ko to eh kaya zula nalang type ko.. hehehehehe)

Jury Copeland
cool that's ok dude... and thanks.

I'm presently in the Philippines... particularly in Iloilo City... yes
But I've never gone abroad yet... I dunno if I have to look forward to it...

Anyway I am happy for just being here. I can grab any opportunities that come my way... even that would mean to leave my country... it don't matter.

Kung di ko pa inumpisahan ang thread na 'to... di ko pa malalaman may mga pinoy din pala dito... Pinoy pa... magpapahuli pa ba sa laban yan? Hehehe big grin

Jury Copeland
Just want to add an info about...

Heart Evangelista - one of the Philippines most promising teen drama-comedy actress, as well as host and a vj.

Did you know that she was nominated as one to play the role of Cho Chang in future Harry Potter film?

I hope she would be picked. She really is deserving to play the role.

Height: 5'2
Weight: 105 (LBS)
Skill/Talent: Acting, Singing, Dancing, Hosting
Birthdate: February 14, 1985

shake zula
may crush ako dyan love

Jury Copeland
really? me too stick out tongue

shake zula
so kyut...

Jury Copeland
Speaking of 'kyut' big grin I'll post 10 of the Philippines' Most promising teen stars.

Here they come(in random):

1. CARLO AQUINO
Height: 5'5 1/2
Weight: 110 (LBS)
Skill/Talent: Acting, Singing, Dancing, Playing the Guitar
Birthdate: September 3, 1985

shake zula
girls girls girls

Jury Copeland
2. Claudine Barretto

Height: 5'2
Weight: 100(LBS)
Birthdate: July 20, 1979

Jury Copeland
3. Diether Ocampo

Height: 5'10
Weight: 150 (LBS)
Skill/Talent: Acting, Singing, Basketball, Painting, Racing Sports
Birthdate: July 19, 1976

Jury Copeland
4. Jolina Magdangal

Height: 5'0
Weight: 90 (LBS)
Birthdate: November 6, 1978

Jury Copeland
5. Rica Peralejo

Height: 5'4
Weight: 108 (LBS)
Skill/Talent: Singing, Acting, Dancing, Hosting, Sports
Birthdate: March 7, 1981

Jury Copeland

Jury Copeland
6. John Prats

Height: 5'5
Weight: 115 (LBS)
Skill/Talent: Acting, Singing, Dancing, Hosting, Playing the Drums
Birthdate: February 14, 1984

Jury Copeland
7. Jodi Santamaria

Birthadte: June 16, 1982

Jury Copeland
8. Patrick Garcia

Height: 5'8
Weight: 135 (LBS)
Skill/Talent: Acting, Basketball, Badminton, Writing Poetry, Motocross
Birthdate: September 14, 1981

Jury Copeland
9. Kristine Hermosa

Height: 5'5
Weight: 105 (LBS)
Birthdate: September 9, 1983

Jury Copeland
last one... (but they're a lot more)

10. Piolo Pascual

Height: 5'10
Weight: 145 (LBS)
Skill/Talent: Acting, Singing, Hosting
Birthdate: January 12, 1977

shake zula
eek! tin tin love

Jury Copeland
laughing crush ko rin yan! big grin

heto isa ko pang crush... cool

Paula Peralejo
Skill/Talent: Acting, Singing, Dancing
Birthdate: June 29, 1984

shake zula
i think paula's more purty than rica.

Ellen
WOW!

Ellen
here look here!

the pic of actor or actress

angiel
ano na nangyari dito? saan na ang mga madlang pipol?

Jury
hey man.. you changed a looot cool

angiel
i'm going for the poetic, depressed, martyr, tortured sould look... for now.

Jury
yeah.. i saw dat on yer sig shifty

pero ... kumusta na ha?

angiel
ganun pa rin. medyo jeprox lang... inindyan ako nung kausap ko eh. gigimik sana kami kaya lang nag bago yung isisp nya kaya nandito ako. ini snga ako eh. sya yung designated driver ko...

Jury
matanong ko lang, tol... nakalimutan ko na kasi.... where are you right now?

angiel
sa california...

beastnpyro
wakekekekekekekek... san mo nakuha yang mga fotos na yan??? lolz... hhmmmnn... nga pala.. im movin outta me mums place... kaya mejo matatagalan bago magkaron ule ako ng net connection.... hehehe... exc8d n ko.. wakekekekekekekek
crush ko date yang si rica peralejo... heheehe

PearBearz #1
eek! eek! eek! I CANT BELIEVE I MISSED THIS!!!!!!!!!! WOW!!!!!!!!! lol and lookie at my siggy stick out tongue and i didnt noe this thread existed....anyways im half filipina! big grin my mommy is filipina n my daddys white stick out tongue oh well i wanta visit the philippines! i wuz hoping 2 go with my aunt but i knoe like NO tagalog cept
like Kumusta na
Salamat po
Walang anumang (sp?)
Mahal Kita
Sandale (Sp?)
and i cant spell neither.... sad but i do like 2 sing along 2 the pamela song!! eek! i just cant get enough of it.....sum ppl i noe who r filipino dont like it that well stick out tongue oh well i like it big grin

PearBearz #1
wow! i learned so much salamat po! eek! big grin

frodo_dude
hey how d'u say "monday" in philipin?

beastnpyro
monday = lunes

uhm.. lolz at pear... thats pretty sweet.. hehehe... well.. ye wouldnt wanna go visit va phils yet.. its pretty warm there now... i wuz there last april.. and its soo humid...

beastnpyro
whyd yah ask frodo?? hehe.. u filo too? or u juz wanna learn? hehehe filo lingo is mad.. hehe

frodo_dude
same as spanish!! eek! and is tuesday: martes??

frodo_dude
nope, but i lived once in spain, and spain once ruled Phillipin and i've heard that coz of that phillipin is veeery similar to spanish

beastnpyro
yes... its pretty much like spanish....
lunes
martes
miyerkules
huwebes
sabado
lingo
except sunday... we dun call it domingo like in spanish... but sum filos use it aswell... not heaps tho... and well.. the spellings are sorta different... or i prolly juz dunnow the right spelling.. hehe..

(to filos)BULOL AKO sa tagalog..

PearBearz #1
lol yea im a flip american i noe nada of tagalog or any other language stick out tongue but my fully filipino friend (angelique_anne) is helping me big grin and my friends are in the Philippines now until July 12th stick out tongue ill ask them how it went and im (or wuz) in spanish 2 honors and i learned that sum of tagalog is similar....like zapatos stick out tongue

frodo_dude
in spanish:

lunes
martes
miercoles
jueves
viernes
sabado
domingo

Jury
in some of Filipino dialects ... it is called DOMINGO ... yes

PearBearz #1
hehehe big grin lol wow its 4:49 am here in maryland stick out tongue OoO we have a flip group called the DC Bicol group eek! and the Mabuhay group but im not in it stick out tongue n i wanta learn the tinikling stick out tongue

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>