Your favorite One-Hit-Wonders

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Cyclops
Bands like 'Better then Ezra,' 'Blur,' and 'Chumbawumba' come to mind.

Anyone else?

....I get knocked down, but I get up again, your never gonna keep me down...

tabby999
i dont think blur were a one hit wonder, its just that that happened to be the one song the public took hold of. the guys who invented the macarina are the ULTIMATE one his wonders

El_Barto
Six Words:

Play That Funky Music White Boy

loserib
new radicals had a song that i like called you get what you give if i remember correctly

Df02
Blur arent 1 hit wonders, maybe in the states....but defo not in UK
theirs and Oasis' albums were the first Rock albums i ever bought

burlyman
eek! I was thinking them too! yeah it's called You Get What You Give
I heard it again on the radio a while ago when I was in Munich, it stuck in my head, so I downloaded it when I got back embarrasment

loserib
they were mad one hit wonders after that song they broke up

big gay kirk
What about Joe Dolci, with his great song "Shaddap a ya face..." A one hit wondewr in nearly every country... or Status Quo... the only did one song, they just kept renaming it for forty years....

BOPRecruit 16
Flagpole Sitta_Harvey Danger
Lovefool_The Cardigans

alic88
SELF CONTROL-Laura Branigan

*Georgina_A*
^^ I love that song yes

finti
actually The Cardigans had a couple of hits from their Grand Turisimo(follow up album) album as well. "Erase and Rewind" for example

Yeah The New Radical song You get What you give is a good one.

In the US Dexy Midnight Runners had a huge hit and their only hit over there with "Comer On Eileen". Had numerous hit in Europe though.

A "debatable" one hit wonder is Gerry Rafferty and his "Baker Street", debatable because the album City To City(1977) sold very well and still do. But I think that "Baker Street" was the only hit single form that album though

laughing out loud laughing laughing out loud even though I agree with you the truth is they have had a couple of huge hits. "Whatever You Want", " You`re in The Army Now" (a cover version of "Bolland and Bolland"only thing SQ had a much bigger hit with the cover thanB&B had with the original) "Rockin All Over The World" and "Paper Plane"
Still SQ is boring as hell

ElectricBugaloo
having a hit in europe isn't as important as having a hit in th eUS

you would make so much more money by having a #1 US hit.

my favorite: Wild Cherry--Play That Funky Music White Boy

Kaleanae
Blind lemon - no rain no expression
messed
Yeah, and I like the New Radical's song...eek!

Cyclops
Dexies Midnight Runners.

finti
sometimes it is the fact that it is a hit in Europe that gets the song attention in the US.
There are some artist that makes tons of money without even peeking at the charts in the US.
No doubt US is an extremely big market, but there are other markets to conquer as well. Just look at Robbie Williams, of course if he broke the US market he would be the most selling artist at present time, but he has yet to break the market over there. But he is pretty big in the rest of the world, and the European marked shouldnt be underestimated cause the more united Europe gets the bigger the market is here. And European buys a lot of music.

ElectricBugaloo
All the european artists try to conquer the US for one reason: $$$.

Everyone knows that the US is the richest country in the world--hell, Beckham is one of hte most popular peoplein the world, but he still can't break big in the US--he keeps trying though.

moonwalker741
Mambo numer 7...or 6 ....i dont remeber....lol

n I'll be there for you - the rembrants

finti
not entirely true though even if the US are considered one of the richest countries. The countries that are considered richer than the US are too small to make a huge impact when it comes to the musical marked.

its a difference of being a celebrity than a musician.

most artist do it for that reason, but there are some artists/bands that are happy to make it on the European continent alone.

it is Mambo #5 smile

Kaleanae
The verve

Cyclops
BITTERSWEET SYMPHONIE! Great tune...

Or the Verve Pipe with Freshmen

Or Gorillaz with Clint Eastwood.

laughing

Closing time by Semisonic

tabby999
nah, gorillaz had a few songs out in aus, so in the rest of the world they are but not here. and i think lots of bands would try crack the us music charts becuase they want their music to be heard, saying that the US scene is the most important one is a load of crap, all the different countries scenes are important

Cyclops
True. But, all the US really has is stupid stupid MTV/Muchmusic. Stupid stupid stupid stupid!

American radio ruins a lot of music with the overplaying of various songs. Makes me happy that I do not listen to the radio.

ClaraG
sinead quinn she just disappeared

big gay kirk
Its actually more important to have hits in the UK than in the US... anyone with enough marketing behind them can make it in the states.... also, remember that 85% of all music has a British connexion (and thats the British spelling, not a typo... its like gaol, not jail...)

finti
please back up that claim with facts

dean7879
is it the british spelling????im british and im pretty sure it is spelt connection...i think u are wrong

best one hit wonder for me is chesney hawkes - i am the one and only

burlyman
thankfully

Darth Revan
Faith No More--"Epic"

Dr. Strangelove
I would go with Vanilla Ice and those dudes who created the most annoying song ever "Who let the dogs out."rifle

Darth Revan
If it's the most annoying song ever... why is it your favorite? Just curious.

Deathblow
Bran Van 3000 - Drinking In L.A

seriously what happened to them? confused

and Barfy, calling Faith No More 1 hit wonders is treason hang

Df02
errr lol....hardly one hit wonders
theyve got a huge fanbase...well, did have :P

Cyclops
Or Fun Loving Criminals- Scooby Snacks.

the Vee
who let the dogs out was released by the baha men..
i quite like dee-lites groove is in the heart.. dunno why..

finti
nor do we stick out tongue

Darth Revan
Really? 'Cos I've only ever heard that song of theirs before...

Df02
Faith no more released quite a few songs...

We Care Alot
Easy
Epic

all i can name off top of my head

Cyclops
I like Faith No More.

What about...

Was Marcy's Playground mentioned? Sex and Candy?

If it was and I was the one who said it... then that would be kind of funny

ClaraG
Eiffel 65, anyone remember them with their blue da ba di song?

Deathblow
Falling To Pieces
A Small Victory

plus their albums were very successful. They were almost as important and influential as Nirvana and NIN back in the day, its a shame they get forgotten as often as they do. The majority of people nowadays only know Epic.

Cyclops
HOW COULD WE HAVE MISSED THE VAPOURS?

Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think so!

Myth
I get to see a bunch of One Hit Wonders live in about a month. I'm working a Nike sponsored run called "Run Hit Wonder" and its like a race and along the path will be bands like Devo and Flock of Seagulls and the band who does "Wild Thing".

Spicy_Mchaggis
i think one of the biggest one hit wonder is stacie's mom from fountains of wayne.

Darth Revan
Yeah, except for that song annoys the crap out of me sad

furryman
Does anyone remember 'Brimful of Asha' by Cornershop?

furryman
and how can anyone forget OMC's 'How Bizarre' stick out tongue

'Dancing in the Moonlight' by Toploader from that Sainsbury's advert, can't remember them following that up with anything.

Spicy_Mchaggis
the friends theme from the rembrandts.

furryman
ninja OK well that's a Van Morrison cover anywho

Fearnix
Faith No More are ****ing great and are far from 1 hit wonders

The Vapours yeah that song kicked ass smile

furryman
Video Killed the Radio Star eek! although I believe The Buggles had a few more hits after that.

Fearnix
The Buggles had more than one song confused

furryman
I know embarrasment it's the only one I know though stick out tongue

BloomBabyGirl
Lou Begga(sp?) the mambo #5 guy

Vampy
Oh die! laughing out loud Fun loving criminals are so NOT one hit! I love their stuff droolio

as for me it's 4 non blondes with 'what's up' stick out tongue

also Gorrilaz.

Bwah, 'How Bizarre' used to be my favorite song laughing out loud though i never knew who sang it embarrasment

Lue Bega was so. annoying. jeez.

Morgoths_Wrath
OMC - How Bizzare!!!

OOOOOO BABY! It's makin' me crazay!

Vampy
Everyy tiime i loook aroouuunnd!

Arachnoidfreak
Is Flock of Seagulls a one hit wonder? All I have heard by them is "I Ran". I dunno, but that would be my choice.

Korri
The Fast Food rockers smile

Morgoths_Wrath
It's in my FACE!

Red Superfly
Bob The Builder is a one hit wonder. What a hack.

L49_JoaquinLovr
Shelley Fabares with Johnny Angel. A 50's or Early 60's single hit.

Tirekicker
"Who Sucked Out the Feeling" is one of my favorite songs.... simple but awesome.

Capt_Fantastic
This band totally rocked! I bought the album, 'Maybe You've Been Brain-Washed Too'. The whole album is brilliant! Gregg Alexander was the front man and wrote the songs and music. He's actually been around for a long time, with several different bands. He never gets too famous, because he believes that once you do, you've sold out and your music is no longer yours. So, he keeps releasing great albums and then breaks up the band.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.