Define "EMO"

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

tabby999
come one people, i cant get a proper definition to this genre.

loserib
thats a good ? ill try to answer the best i can
emo is oddly tuned guitars played in odd timings with really whiny lead singers
emo fans seem just as lame as the genra they like to get into mosh pits and do what they call pit danceing witch is basicly piting with out hitting each other then they get mad and wsnns fight when you try to pit proper
emo is supossed to stand for emotion
but all music has emotion
so i dont really get it either

Df02
Emo is sposed to stand for Emotional Hardcore isnt it....an offshoot of Hardcore, which was formed in the 80's when punks started to experiment with different music styles.

i dont have a problem with Emo-kids, most ppl i know are into Emo, including me tbh.

www.dobi.nu/emo - nice little site about emo ppl :P

and as for the pits....well, Screamo and Post-Hardcore produce the best pits imo......pretty much thrash-pits. Windmills and Spinning kick's everywhere ^^
was at a local Emo/Post-Hardcore gig in a pub in my town recently, 1 of the better pits/gigs ive seen.

loserib
windmills and spinning kicks are not a mosh
i know if im moshing and somebody kicks me in the head the im not moshing any more im fighting

Df02
as i said, its more like thrashing....and no, theres a fine line between fighting and doing a spinning kick with no intention of hurting sum1....
i dont know about you but i dont aim for the head when im moshing, nor do i aim to make any sort of painful contact with people....shit happens, but when i go into a pit i know im going to get hit, but that doesnt mean people are trying to hit me.

accidents happen, but thats the gamble you take when u mosh/thrash, ive had more bloody noses and cuts than i can count. but i still hold no grudge, because i know no1 was intending to hurt me.

i can safely say ive never hurt any1 in a pit, and ive done my fair share of spinning kicks etc, its all expression...if i have enough space to do a kick or sumthing, ill do it.

a Fight is when someone intends to hit you or hurt you...

but hey, pretty much every pit ive been in has been like this, obviously you've had different experiences and im not going to try arguing that you're wrong, cos you're not...and im not either smokin'

loserib
i know here in the states there a not of conflict between pit dancers and metalhead moshers the dancers here have resorted to bringing in brass nuckles and what not claiming the pits as theres and nobody elses kinda like a gang would

Df02
well they're cocks :P
whats a pit-dancer btw? Oo

loserib
its a person who throws the windmills and spinn kicks here its called pit dancing cuese they dont try to connect the mosh pits i was raised on were all elbows and circles wich is difrent from pit dancing
pit dancers tend to stay in one place

Df02
oh well im a pit dancer then lol..... theres no distinction here, u're either a mosher or u're not, theres just different styles of it.
As i said, ive never tried to hurt someone in a pit, and i hope that noone has tried to hurt me. but i prefer "pit dancing" to moshing, which imo is boring.

and i do tend to stay in 1 place for a bit, but if theres enough people you can connect moshing and 'pit dancing' and dive around, throwing urself into other people etc.. not with the intention of punching or kicking them, just hitting them with ur body while 'dancing'

and as for bringing brass knuckles and taking over pits...well thats just pathetic, and ive never done it or seen it done, newhere...

loserib
thats cool i wish more dancers were like you here in the states they act and look like gangbangers

lil bitchiness
As already mentioned its Emotional Hardcore, and personlay i love EMO! There are some great EMO bands out there.

total metalhead
but there are also a lot of shitty emo bands out there...

Df02
same can be said for every genre....i like Emo, easy to listen to...and good.

can sum1 tell me what Genre Sparta are lol?

total metalhead
well theres more bad emo than good emo then.

lil bitchiness
There are also shitty rocks bands, and metal bands, and punk bands...whats your point?

Df02
true, but whats good is very good wink

total metalhead
this -

lil bitchiness
Yeah, just like black metal and ska...and possibly punk...as well as metal these days.

total metalhead
yep yep and yep, but im not so sure about metal...ok, theres a lot more crap than good in nu metal, but death metal is probably overall the strongest musical genre around right now. Definitely more good than bad. Same with metalcore and speed.

Ikobe
*cackles* wide framed spectacles. (;

loserib
the only emo band ive ever benn able to get into is glassjaw
and poison the well if they are considerd emo

Kaleanae
Death Cab for cutie is considered EMO, I think... I love that band
I like some other EMO bands yes

total metalhead
I dislike most emo, but I love Glassjaw, and I also like Taking Back Sunday (not 100% sure if they're emo) and Boysetsfire. Apart from those three, it all sounds a bit disorganised and samey to me.

ElectricBugaloo
At The Drive In is considered emo somehow

lil bitchiness
Yes indeed they are.

From Autumn to Ashes...i think they are ok, Thursday i used to like.

BoySetsFire however is my fave...so are glassjaw.

tabby999
well i've gotten a vauge idea, i still really dont know. all i know is that the cd shop i like in my states captiol that i like is alway full of the fans and they all look the same; jeans, check, carefully ironed Atticus shirt, check, checkered slip on shirt, check, truckers hat, check, whiney voice and sad attitude towards other music, check (that last one is how the people I see act, dunno what you lot get from them). and i dont know how all these people will go "bah blink 182, bunch of sellouts, no ones alloud to like them, but how good are Atticus." weirdos

ElectricBugaloo
An emo is a sad teenager (usually a boy) who has an almost bowl shaped haircut, and wears Rivers Cuomo glasses. He will wear tight fitting jeans, along with a T Shirt of an indie band (or Modest Mouse).

a real emo would never wear atticus.

BackFire
Definition of Emo.....

Emo - Crappy music in which the lead singer whines about how his daddy made him clean his room and/or grounded him for smoking/staying up past cerfew ect. Also the lead singer usually wears those lame box framed glasses even if their sight is 20/20 because it's the trademark of the genre.

Also known as the "Shit" genre.

tabby999
kinda odd, but well put i must say

ElectricBugaloo
Besides the glasses thing...you're pretty far off

BackFire
Not from what I heard. Also, most of the singers have a really high pitched voice, or squeal if you will, that enhances their ability to whine about being grounded as a kid.

Df02
well you've heard wrong then smile
Emo is ok, cant see why so many people have problems with it.

Emo stands for Emotional hardcore, which encompasses quite a large range just thru the name alone, pretty stupid isolating it to the pathetic preteen "waaa im grounded" thing.

hell, you've got a range from At The Drive In to Taking Back Sunday umbrella'd into Emo, pretty wide spectrum.

tabby999
but it's such a broad description, there are heaps of bands that could fall under that catagory, defining them'd be hell hard

Imaginary
Exactly, which is why you can't stereotype Emo.

SlipknoT
Yes you can, very easily.

Darth Revan
You can stereotype anything, but that wouldn't make it true.

Df02
what's with all the emo-bumping recently?

ChickinMeat
Originally posted by BackFire
Definition of Emo.....

Emo - Crappy music in which the lead singer whines about how his daddy made him clean his room and/or grounded him for smoking/staying up past cerfew ect. Also the lead singer usually wears those lame box framed glasses even if their sight is 20/20 because it's the trademark of the genre.

I really couldnt have said it better myself

I dont even think i would use an emo CD for a coaster, my mug is far too good for that

Treehuggerjanie
emo-
genre of music:in which a young guy complains about his greasy skin and spots, jumps around a bit, and complains that his girlfreind wont sleep with him. Also, these annoying lyrics are expressed in a whiny voice and they sometimes break instruments at the end, trying to be rock stars.

nuf said

Df02
Originally posted by Treehuggerjanie
emo-
genre of music:in which a young guy complains about his greasy skin and spots, jumps around a bit, and complains that his girlfreind wont sleep with him. Also, these annoying lyrics are expressed in a whiny voice and they sometimes break instruments at the end, trying to be rock stars.

nuf said

you're a no-nothing cock

nuf said

Treehuggerjanie
no-nothing hmmm?tht doesnt make much sense.could u xplain?
oh and theres nothing cock like about me.im a girl.watch your mouth you were out of order.i was havin a bit of fn.take the p*ss out of proper metal if u want.i aint gonna av a go at u

Df02
'proper metal'? the fact that emo isn't even related to metal makes me wonder what it's more 'proper' than...

i couldn't care less if you were a guy, girl or both... i couldn't even care less if you take the piss out of music i like, but what does bother me is when people recycle the same crap and dribble it out the corner of their mouth like it may ACTUALLY make some sort of impact on the discussion.

your post generally proved to me that you know **** all about what you're talking about, but felt you'd throw your 2cents in anyway, because hey...you can. well....i can rip you down for it aswell.
not all emo whines, not all emo has high pitched voices, not all emo is untalentd... infact, quite a bit of emo is more talented than some metal or whatever. Mae, The End of Julia, Coheed and Cambria, Joshua fit for battle, Planes mistaken for stars... all have pretty damn talented members in their band (just watched Claudio from Co&Ca do a 2min solo behind his head that would impress quite a few people even played normally...)

and also the fact that a quick browse of the forum would state quite clearly that the fashion of emo is a clique/scene - and that even if it wasnt, every genre has a fashion attached to it.

next time if you have a point to make, add some substance

Treehuggerjanie
A - look i wasnt saying emo is metal-its not at all metal i realize tht. im just saying i like a lot of true metal and if ud like to take the piss out of any bands i like at anytime feel free. read what i write before you start insulting me again.

B - i didnt recycle anything-i posted this without even reading anyone elses post first

C - I dotn dribble. i can control my mouth

D - Say what you want to me but NEVER EVER say i dont know what im talking about when it comes to music. I have been obssesed with music since i can rmember. True, i dont take an interest in emo so i dont have a very extensive knowledge regarding it- i dont want one either- but the fact remains that i know a lot about music and have many discussions with my older brother who has a degree in music studies. He by the way says i have very interesting views and he values them. SO like i said NEVER say i dont know what im talking about- because believe me i do.

So pull your head out of your arse next time you wanna argue with someone and you might get somewhere.

One more thing-music isnt about fashion. You should know that if you actually know what your on about when it comes to music

Treehuggerjanie
your a total f*cking poser if you think its a lot about fashion

Df02
where did i say it was about fashion? i said it was a clique or scene, and not actually all about fashion...

"i dont take an interest in emo so i dont have a very extensive knowledge regarding it"

so shut your mouth until you know what you're talking about...
i dont care how much you claim to know about music in your extensive lifetime of music loving...(what? 14yrs?) but you don't know shit about the music you're trying to rip into now, and you've just admitted it, so keep quiet and let people who actually have substance behind their opinion dicuss yea? ta

oh and for the record, Wednesday13 aren't proper metal, they're proper shit.

Treehuggerjanie
you know **** all about metal so dont say wednesday13 aint metal.
and i was just voicing my opinion on emo thts all-iv every right.u turned this into an argument and im finishing it cos im wasting my time

Df02
wednesday13 are shit, metal or not.

and yea, finish the argument... and finish posting baseless opinions

Treehuggerjanie
look just let it drop right!i dont like arguin.

Imaginary
Originally posted by Df02
what's with all the emo-bumping recently?

Sorry 'bout that embarrasment

Black Flag
Emo: Posers that think they are rock stars but are really just people who hate thier nice lives in their safe little homes.

If you want to listen to REAL rock then listen to Sex Pistols, The Clash, The Ramones, or any other non-poser punk.

RedAlertv2
Theres more to good music than just punk rock.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Black Flag
Emo: Posers that think they are rock stars but are really just people who hate thier nice lives in their safe little homes.

If you want to listen to REAL rock then listen to Sex Pistols, The Clash, The Ramones, or any other non-poser punk.

Idiots: People like you.

-AC

Black Flag
Yea im an idiot, but i still know good music.

Black Flag
And i to more than just punk i also listen to metal and classic. Some of my favorite bands are Pink Floyd, Led Zepplin, and Jimi Hendrix.

Black Flag
I just prefer punk.

fruits
emo=poop

Black Flag
One of the best definitions you can find.

fruits
umm, hellz yes? yeah, hellz yes!

Black Flag
Emo wants to be punk.

fruits
i wouldnt' say its wannabe punk, i think emo is really an attempt at a new sound, but its kinda just whiney whine whine with some music in the backround.

Black Flag
I'm pretty sure it wants to be punk since every music site i go to people try to catagorize emo into the same area as punk.

exanda kane
Lets not forget that the Smiths and Morrisey were the unlikely forefathers of Emo. Just listen to the lyrics. The music itself sounds pretty different from each other of course, but 'emo' takes a wide range of influences from various genres.

Although it is quite amusing what people are saying about scene kids, of which some is a little true, there are a lot of scene kids that are just plain cool that i know, some being my best friends. And infact I know more 'scene' people that happen to be totally sexah women!

And if anybody is a little tired of these generic emo bands that seem to get undeserved exposure, listen to Chiodos. There are great live and rather different from your usual 'emo'.

papabeard
Van Halen Mixed With Iron Maiden Mixed with Power Ballads mixed with Hardcore mixed with unbelievable levels of intra-genre derivation and urine stained underwear and bedsheets.

F@ck EMO.

Bardock42
Originally posted by exanda kane
Lets not forget that the Smiths and Morrisey were the unlikely forefathers of Emo.

Is that true...maybe I should listen to someemo then...although I personally don't find The Smiths too whiny.

exanda kane
Originally posted by Bardock42
Is that true...maybe I should listen to someemo then...although I personally don't find The Smiths too whiny.

They weren't intentionally and if you like the Smiths (who are bloody great!) then you'll be suprised how 'emo' can be influenced by it, as it sounds almost nothing a like, but The Smiths are genuinely known for being the first band to sing opouarly about there girlfriends by a truck that was however heavy etc.

Bardock42
Oh I see, so it's more the type of lyrics?

exanda kane
Yeah. It'd take a while to establish anything connected between the music.

However despite that, The Smiths were quite significant in the genres development, lyrics being a big thing with 'emo' etc.

Df02
Originally posted by papabeard
Van Halen Mixed With Iron Maiden Mixed with Power Ballads mixed with Hardcore mixed with unbelievable levels of intra-genre derivation and urine stained underwear and bedsheets.

F@ck EMO.

you suck at life, let alone defining Emo

fruits
well over the years emo has seperated into 2 different aspects, the emo music, stuff like my chemical romance, and then the emo fashion, as in girls pants, black hair over one eye, makeup, that kinda stuff. so like when i talk about myself being against emo, its mainly the fashion, cuz i mean seriously, girl pants are for girls, but i aslo dont like most the music, but im not hating towards it. except my chemical romance, i hate those losers.

Df02
Originally posted by fruits
well over the years emo has seperated into 2 different aspects, the emo music, stuff like my chemical romance, and then the emo fashion, as in girls pants, black hair over one eye, makeup, that kinda stuff. so like when i talk about myself being against emo, its mainly the fashion, cuz i mean seriously, girl pants are for girls, but i aslo dont like most the music, but im not hating towards it. except my chemical romance, i hate those losers.

omg... read the goddamn thread mna! MCR aren't "emo" theyre like newwave poppunk pretending to be emo.

fruits
i say their emo. i sense no punkness in their music. and who would WANT to pretend to be emo?

Df02
i say their emo. i sense no punkness in their music. and who would WANT to pretend to be emo?

their music is being construed as emo by uniformed musically inept cretins like yourself who don't have the common sense to read the actual definitions of the genre riddled throughout this thread before he comments.

and well done, since Emo derived from Punk - so you saying you sense no punk in their music is admitting they aren't emo. they are however poppunk with melodic patters

fruits
well i dont care about, by definition, in my mind their emo. some people think bands are punk taht definantly aren't punk, it's just their opinion. and mine is my chemical romance is emo, and i know im not the only one who thinks it

Alpha Centauri
Well you're factually wrong, what part of that are you missing?

It's not about "Well I think they are emo", they're not. That's a fact.

-AC

Df02
well i dont care about, by definition, in my mind their emo. some people think bands are punk taht definantly aren't punk, it's just their opinion. and mine is my chemical romance is emo, and i know im not the only one who thinks it

imo Beck is Black Metal... im clearly wrong.

MCR are not Emo, they have punk roots though

fruits
ok, my chemical romance isnt emo then, big woop, i still hate them, and i still dont like emo

Df02
ok, my chemical romance isnt emo then, big woop, i still hate them, and i still dont like emo

name me a bunch of actual emo bands you've heard then please...

rickyduck
emos,grebs,goths and skaters rock. every1 else suck (especiallly chavs and townies!!!!!!)

fruits

i have not heard much emo, but i do know what i have heard i dont like very much. what i really am against is the emo fashion, this lame fad that's going around. that i hate.

Alpha Centauri
Then you hate trendwhores, not music.

-AC

fruits
thats pretty much what i said. i said i dont like the music very much, because from the little i've heard, ididt like, then i went on to say i hated the fashion, then you guys attcked me for thinkng MCR was emo andsaying thati hated emo music andstuff

rickyduck
im not an emo (xactly) lol. but if u like rage against machines ur cool

fruits
haha, yeah

Alpha Centauri
The reason why "emo" is so undefinable is because it's become a pathetic tag used to label anything. It had a purpose way back in the day, now it's just pathetic.

The only reason nitpick, scene kid genres exist is because idiots need to know where to stand in the music store to look "cool". There's no "emo", "screamo" or "post hardcore" sections in music stores.

There's a point to be extracted here.

If you're listening to a band who are metal, but not quite the same as every other metal band...don't take it upon yourself to create a new genre. They're just a really different metal band. Got it? Good.

Stop with all this mathcore, metalcore, gorecore, grindcore, shitcore, emocore bs.

It's rock, metal and established, distinguishable sub-genres of those. Eg: Hard rock, progressive rock, heavy/black/death metal etc. It really needn't go beyond that.

-AC

rickyduck
emos just listen 2 rock metal and rock

fruits
Originally posted by BackFire
Definition of Emo.....

i must say this is the best definition along with emo=poop that i've ever seen.

and i have an anti emo band, we're called white picket fence and our first CD just came out, its called United Against Emo and we have songs such as cheer up emo kid, i took an internet test and now my friend's don't like me, i think i'm turning emo, girl pants are for girls, and cover your mouth; emo's contagious.

rickyduck
look emo arent bad chavs are. emos dont wine bout there dads, ppl like eminem do and then u hav the stupid music like akon.

fruits
actually emos DO whine about their dads

rickyduck
when?

fruits
in songs. they are always like, i hate my parents, blah blah.

fruits
i just found the best definition eva:

Emo:
Genre of softcore punk music that integrates unenthusiastic melodramatic 17 year olds who dont smile, high pitched overwrought lyrics and inaudible guitar rifts with tight wool sweaters, tighter jeans, itchy scarfs (even in the summer), ripped chucks with favorite bands signature, black square rimmed glasses, and ebony greasy unwashed hair that is required to cover at least 3/5 the of the face at an angle.

fruits
here's me being emo

tabby999
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
The reason why "emo" is so undefinable is because it's become a pathetic tag used to label anything. It had a purpose way back in the day, now it's just pathetic.

-AC

so, can we draw a comparison to how "punk" was originally a battle cry and its now almost meaningless and is more about the fashion than the music?

Bardock42
here's me being emo

here is you dressed like "The Joker"

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by tabby999
so, can we draw a comparison to how "punk" was originally a battle cry and its now almost meaningless and is more about the fashion than the music?

We can. Punk was much more than music, it didn't begin with music. Music was just the conduit used to voice the rebellion as it were.

It was genuinely people who had it bad and were pissed off enough to just get themselves seen and say "Shit is wrong, we're pissed off". Not people who have tremendous lives whining about stuff. Eg: Simple Plan.

-AC

tabby999
set and match!

rickyduck
in songs. they are always like, i hate my parents, blah blah.

i thnk eminem sais that in all his songs. there is no such thing as emo music.

ourlovewasgonex
emo is just a shortened word for = emotional.
emotionally depressed really explains it.
right now, emo is basically what people try to look like.
but they don't realize that a white studded belt & that crap is just materialistic.
emo is not just the way you act, its also the music this " emo " person listens to.
fall out boy is emo except now its under the mainstream infliction now.
note how fall out boy have been a band for like is it 5 years? well since they made their first album & mtv put them up for a " new artist of the year " award.
they are no longer considered much of an emo band, more of a simple plan type band now..
people tend to think its boys who have long hair, cut, cry, wear tight pants & shirts. have messenger bags with pins & wear dark colors.
but there are also girls who do the same.
there's a difference between the real emo & the poser emo.
real emo is based on their emotions & music.
& poser emo is based on mainstream music & the appearance.
you can dress the " emo " part & act emo & not be an emo poser but it depends if your doing for the attention or not.
well; i hope i somewhat help & its stupid to fight over an asked definition of emo.

Alpha Centauri
It's not short for emotional for crying out loud.

-AC

Red Superfly
Anyone I have ever known that has fallen under the spell of falling into one "umbrella" such as "emo" or another, has usually been what I call quasi-intelligent.

They should know better, but they don't. At times they can be smart, but bizarrely CHOOSE to be stupid, by following trends, coining fashions and following certain things without thinking outside the box.

Usually all of them are white, middle class, often well to do, with absolutely little to no reason to b!tch or whine about anything. It's brat music.

Thats what I think "emo" is. It's an attitude, rather than a genre of music. I just know some things and people consider themselves to be "emo", which should be translated as "twats".

As AC said, the genres mean very little to anyone with any sense of, well, common sense. However for stupid people, they like to have these nice little categories they can slot themsleves into, joining in with one "community" whilst most importantly, getting to exclude people too. They are no different to likes of "chavs" or "townies" in essense, and can be just as obnoxious.

Df02
Originally posted by ourlovewasgonex
emo is just a shortened word for = emotional.
emotionally depressed really explains it.
right now, emo is basically what people try to look like.
but they don't realize that a white studded belt & that crap is just materialistic.
emo is not just the way you act, its also the music this " emo " person listens to.
fall out boy is emo except now its under the mainstream infliction now.
note how fall out boy have been a band for like is it 5 years? well since they made their first album & mtv put them up for a " new artist of the year " award.
they are no longer considered much of an emo band, more of a simple plan type band now..
people tend to think its boys who have long hair, cut, cry, wear tight pants & shirts. have messenger bags with pins & wear dark colors.
but there are also girls who do the same.
there's a difference between the real emo & the poser emo.
real emo is based on their emotions & music.
& poser emo is based on mainstream music & the appearance.
you can dress the " emo " part & act emo & not be an emo poser but it depends if your doing for the attention or not.
well; i hope i somewhat help & its stupid to fight over an asked definition of emo.

it's people like you that give genuine Emotional Hardcore (im going to use the full name, not the short-hand 'emo' from now one because obviously people are too stupid to retain that information for more than a few posts.) a band name, you try defend it when you actually fight yourself into their hands because you don't know what you're talking about

yea sure, Emotional Hardcore happened because bands enfused poetic introspective lyrics and more melodic musicianship into Hardcore... but that doesn't mean they ****ing whinged etc. if any of you actually listened to the bands that are genuinely Emotional Hardcore you'd realise how stupid you all sound.

Fugazi and Jawbreaker are both Punk bands, but theyre also both Emotional Hardcore Bands (shorted to emo-core) - and if any of you actually listened to either of them, i assure you you'll be pleasently surprised.

Also, Hardcore Emo and true Screamo are heavier and louder and more chaotic than anything in the rest of the Punk Genre, listen to Angel Hair, Swing Kids (the Locusts old band) and even stuff like Saetia and Orchid and you'll realise how stupid you sound for calling all 'emo kids' whiney little kids who hate their parents.

"I am the horizon. I have dreamed of tracing rings around this world. My arms are stretched to forever. My fingers shake with the fear of control. The fear I know you all know so well. We all lay claim to our destinies. Yet we all rise and fall with the current." - Saetia - Postlapsaria

note the word parents, cry and any other hugely whinging words are distinctly absent.

learn about music before you slate it, or you just come away looking like a bunch of dumbarses

Alpha Centauri
Screamo doesn't actually exist to me. I just consider whatever it is to be a heavier version of whatever it's derived from.

People have all too often labelled The Blood Brothers as screamo or emo. I consider them neither.

-AC

Df02
Screamo doesn't actually exist to me. I just consider whatever it is to be a heavier version of whatever it's derived from.

People have all too often labelled The Blood Brothers as screamo or emo. I consider them neither.

-AC

Screamo imo is just another word for Hardcore Emo although officially there are meant to be subtle differences.... and no the blood brothers aren't screamo.

Screamo does exist though, and i guess it is different to Hardcore Emo, but i lump em together because the differences are soo subtle it's a pointless seperation.

listen to Orchid, Saetia, Neil Perry, Joshua fit for battle and City of Caterpillar - that's Screamo.

listen to Swing Kids, Angel Hair, Heroin, Honeywell and Antioch Arrow - that's Hardcore Emo

Alexisonfire, Thrice, Finch, MCR, Funeral for a Friend etc - that's neither

Alpha Centauri
Screamo imo is just another word for Hardcore Emo although officially there are meant to be subtle differences.... and no the blood brothers aren't screamo.

Screamo does exist though, and i guess it is different to Hardcore Emo, but i lump em together because the differences are soo subtle it's a pointless seperation.

listen to Orchid, Saetia, Neil Perry, Joshua fit for battle and City of Caterpillar - that's Screamo.

listen to Swing Kids, Angel Hair, Heroin, Honeywell and Antioch Arrow - that's Hardcore Emo

Alexisonfire, Thrice, Finch, MCR, Funeral for a Friend etc - that's neither

I have heard those bands save for a couple. I don't particularly like them but to me (Save for Finch's most recent album, which I like), although they are different. I would consider them just different types of bands under the same genre. EG: Opeth, Shadows Fall and Mastodon all being metal and all being different.

-AC

Df02
I have heard those bands save for a couple. I don't particularly like them but to me (Save for Finch's most recent album, which I like), although they are different. I would consider them just different types of bands under the same genre. EG: Opeth, Shadows Fall and Mastodon all being metal and all being different.

-AC

yea, which is why i don't really ever bother making the distinction between the two types, and just lump them under Screamo, which is easier to type.

however there are noticable difference between like Orchid and Jawbreaker for instance. so need to seperate them into a subgenre imo

Alpha Centauri
There's noticeable difference between Opeth and Metallica though. Me calling them both metal isn't removing distinction from them. If anything it's allowing them to retain it without specifying their sound and confining it to a smaller genre.

-AC

Df02
There's noticeable difference between Opeth and Metallica though. Me calling them both metal isn't removing distinction from them. If anything it's allowing them to retain it without specifying their sound and confining it to a smaller genre.

-AC

yea, but with Emo being so vilified, it's almost like a defence mechanism to split it up and flood it with subgenres and styles... and even regional styles. (aka DC-Hardcore etc).

i dont mind subgenres, it doesnt bother me that much... i like to say i listen to Screamo rather than saying i listen to Emo, because for one.. i don't want to have people saying 'oooohhh, lyk Fall Out Boy11?!'

now all i have to put up with is 'oh like Thrice?'

Alpha Centauri
That's exactly why shit like that exists. Because people care too much what others think.

If it's Emo you listen to, then say it. If someone says "Like Fall Out Boy?" You say "No, they're not emo." I don't see the problem.

-AC

Df02
That's exactly why shit like that exists. Because people care too much what others think.

If it's Emo you listen to, then say it. If someone says "Like Fall Out Boy?" You say "No, they're not emo." I don't see the problem.

-AC

i guess, but it's less hassle because that reply usually brings up the whole what's emo argument, and this thread has me dealing with more than enough ill-informed morons than i need

Slay
Well,I never really listened to Emo.The only Emo bands I know are MCR and such,which are probably not real Emo.Might be because the Emo scene isn't really big where I come from.

Alpha Centauri
MCR aren't emo man, jeez.

i guess, but it's less hassle because that reply usually brings up the whole what's emo argument, and this thread has me dealing with more than enough ill-informed morons than i need

Therein lies the problem with feeling you have to educate morons. If I were in your position I wouldn't bother defining it. I prefer not to waste my time on those kind of people in person.

-AC

rickyduck
emos rock

papabeard
you suck at life, let alone defining Emo

What? laughing

Df02
What? laughing

i thought the message was pretty clear haha.. cool

papabeard
i thought the message was pretty clear haha.. cool

What? the message that you're a self - hating emo bedwetter baby

Df02

nope, the message - as true in this quoted post as in the last - is that you don't have a ****ing clue what you're talking about. Or that you do know how wrong you are, but ignore it purely so you can have something to blindly insult even after you've been proved wrong time and time again

Slay
MCR aren't emo man, jeez.

That's why i said,that they probably aren't real emo men,jeez...
Anycrap,can anyone give me the names of some real emo bands then?I'm eager to learn smart

Df02
Originally posted by Slay
That's why i said,that they probably aren't real emo men,jeez...
Anycrap,can anyone give me the names of some real emo bands then?I'm eager to learn smart

the thread is litered with links... just quickly browse

Alpha Centauri

People who demean "emo" whilst completely getting it wrong anyway just end up looking dumb. Not cool.

-AC

papabeard
People who demean "emo" whilst completely getting it wrong anyway just end up looking dumb. Not cool.

-AC

Well I'm not cool, never have been and never made any claim that I was.

Its just good fun to wind you up.

"Emo" has no artistic merit at all, not anymore. All these sycophantic "Emo" 15 year olds ( or people who are mentally and emotionally still 15 years old)think its really intellectual and meaningful, that the lyrics are powerful poetry.They are not and the music is meaningless.There are hundreds of homogenised and interchangeable "emo" bands all playing the same song. Its the musical equivalent of an episode of Dawsons Creek.

The name "Emo" has been around since the early 90's and was a label attached to bands like Rites of Spring and Sunny Day Real Estate and later bands like Garrison. These bands had some degree of originality, fire and meaning, but what is recognised as "Emo" today is a bucket of piss and tears.

"Emo" my friends,is the "Hair-Metal" and the "Power Ballads" of your generation.

Miss_Faye
I do believe this video link will define emo pretty well. Yes. tongue

http://www.thatvideosite.com/view/1224.html

Miss_Faye
bwhahahahahhaa

Filth
One word "SHIT!"

Eis
I though emo-kids were like gothics/metal rockers suicide-loving kids. confused

Alpha Centauri
I swear you called me idiotic and ignorant a while back.

Irony eh?

-AC

Refused
Originally posted by Miss_Faye
I do believe this video link will define emo pretty well. Yes. tongue

http://www.thatvideosite.com/view/1224.html

Meh. I just like the part when he says something about "tighter than my sisters pair of jeans" or something like that. That was funny.

NewJERU
Funny, because there is emo-rap too.

Perfect example : Atmosphere.

Silverstein
yaeh this 'emo song' i heard, some dudes rapping about emo...with gay lisp. LOL there is also a rap song about gangsta's

NewJERU
Originally posted by Silverstein
yaeh this 'emo song' i heard, some dudes rapping about emo...with gay lisp. LOL there is also a rap song about gangsta's

You're an idiot, STFU.

RedAlertv2
The only thing I dislike about emo is the whole "emo kid" trend.

NewJERU
Originally posted by RedAlertv2
The only thing I dislike about emo is the whole "emo kid" trend.

Tell me about it.

Alpha Centauri
If irony was water I'd be drowning now.

This thread is depressingly hilarious. The amount of people who think they know but don't actually know much, is great.

-AC

Df02

This thread is depressingly hilarious. The amount of people who think they know but don't actually know much, is great.

-AC

count yourself lucky, you don't actually count yourself as a fan of emo... you only get into arguments about it by proxy... i have to deal with know-nothing douches regularly

papabeard
I like your levels of denial.

Its useful for you that you can convince yourself others no nothing.

wink

Df02

wink

it's not hard to convince myself when i have a whole thread full of proof infront of me.

Alpha Centauri

wink

How ironically "emo" of you. Striking out at someone for something that you are actually doing yourself.

Like I said, drowning.

-AC

Eis
I swear you called me idiotic and ignorant a while back.

Irony eh?

-AC
just trying to be funny stick out tongue

§cooter

-AC Ya know what AC, have you ever considered the true definition of a term is what the greater majority of it believe it to be, whether or not that coincides with it's actual definition?

RedAlertv2

-AC

You talking about me?

Bardock42

Alpha Centauri

§cooter
Eh? I'm just saying that the majority of children in schools believe the definition which you so voraciously attack, and once they graduate and a newer generation replaces them, that's going to be the definition... if it isn't the one now.

Alpha Centauri
Read my post again.

It's never going to stop being out of control and wrong, the train has gone too far off the tracks. Will it continue to change? Yes. It's still not erasing the fact that the emo now isn't in any way affiliated with the emo that originally was and that the reason for this is because of stupid labelling. Any pointless diss involving the word "emo" is also pointless and more often than not, used by kids who have zero clue.

-AC

§cooter
Read my post again.

It's never going to stop being out of control and wrong, the train has gone too far off the tracks. Will it continue to change? Yes. It's still not erasing the fact that the emo now isn't in any way affiliated with the emo that originally was and that the reason for this is because of stupid labelling. Any pointless diss involving the word "emo" is also pointless and more often than not, used by kids who have zero clue.

-AC But does it matter if they ahve a clue or not? No, they will continue to use it and eventually "Pointless" will be our argueing about it as everyone will consider it the "Diss" until "EMO" fades out in light of the next generations... thing.

EDIT: Maybe it'd be better to wait a while and figure out a better way to explain my point.

Alpha Centauri
You're not arguing any different to me. The pointless has become the "relevant", yes this was never disputed. The reason why it does matter that they have no clue is because bands are getting wrongly labelled and refusing to say that doing so is bullshit just means that it's gonna get worse and worse.

Nobody talking sense with knowledge will ever be pointless. So no, you're wrong.

-AC

§cooter
You're not arguing any different to me. The pointless has become the "relevant", yes this was never disputed. The reason why it does matter that they have no clue is because bands are getting wrongly labelled and refusing to say that doing so is bullshit just means that it's gonna get worse and worse.

Nobody talking sense with knowledge will ever be pointless. So no, you're wrong.

-AC

No you're wrong? Oh great, now we've gone form a civilised discussion to what you're infamous for.

joeykangaroo
Originally posted by tabby999
come one people, i cant get a proper definition to this genre.
theres the song called "i must be emo" that describes it quite well i guess
by adam and andrew i thinks
big grin

§cooter
Originally posted by joeykangaroo
theres the song called "i must be emo" that describes it quite well i guess
by adam and andrew i thinks
big grin That's a humorous song.

joeykangaroo

Alpha Centauri

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>