Bubba Ho-tep

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Evil Dead
Great flick. Not hardcore horror but just an all around great flick. The plot is so damn cheesy that I didn't think it could live up to my expectations but it exceeded them. Best acting job Bruce Campbell has ever done.

Wow......Elvis and JFK do battle with a mummy that sucks the souls of the living out through their assholes.........just wow. What's more, it worked.

My only disappointment.......with so many great one-liners in the flick......and the fact that the movie poster says "The King is Back, Baby" (an obvious reference to the famous line from Army of Darkness).......Elvis never refers to himself as the "king, baby"......ah well.......I'm sure it'll be in the sequel.......

which brings me to the next topic........if you stick around 'till the end of the credits, "Elvis will next be seen in Bubba Nosferatu : Curse of the She Vampires "..................

Cinemaddiction
It was boring as hell, IMO. Just extremely slow, effortless, anti-climactic, melancholy, unfunny, and contrived.

Good idea for a movie, horrible script.

Evil Dead
That's almost word for word what you said about 28 Days Later too!

blink

Cinemaddiction
Well, this movie tried to hard too be a cult classic to begin with. That's not something movies aim to be, but what they just become, thanks to fans.

I think that the director cashed in on having Bruce Campbell in it, because he knew that fans would love anything with him in it by default, no matter how horrible the movie was.

The first 45 minutes dragged along, the jokes weren't funny, the "pecker" jokes got really stale, and the end was just flat. The slapstick orderlies were dumb, Ossie Davis was just inane, and I have to say that iwasn't at all impressed with B.C., personally. Not to mention that the "villain" was about as menacing as a caterpillar.

Kind of weird how fire didn't kill the mummy the first time, but the 2nd go around, it did?

Not to totally shit on the movie, but the makeup was just horrible.

Wish I could have liked it, but I won't bother giving this one a second chance.

Evil Dead
I didn't even look at the film as though they were trying to make a genre film (horror or any other).......much less a cult classic.

I thought they were going for a very unique movie...........a cheesy idea, an even cheesier plot...........with great actors. I think it worked. It's not really horror.......it's not really drama.......it kind of defies genres......it's simply Bubba Ho-tep.

Make-up.......could have been a bit better. For 99% of the film the makeup was pretty good. In a couple scenes the Elvis makeup was noticeably sub-par. Can't really hate too much.

- The budget was incredibly small......it's an indy film......it's not like you should expect any new ground to be broke in any area. The Ho-tep makeup was superb.

- despite that.......they still got the best team in the business (KNB) to do it (all in who you know). If that's the best KNB could do.......that is the best it could have been done.

I thought Bruce did a great job as Elvis.

you do know who the director is, right? It's ****ing Don Coscarelli from the Phantasm series. He himself has a fan base that could easily rival Bruce's.

I agree about the mummy........but I think you just went into the film looking for a horror flick. The mummy is a plot device........he was only in like 3-4 scenes.....and they had to go back and shoot one of those to put in the film after it was done to keep the audience from forgetting about him. The only reason there is even a mummy in the film is to give a reason for Elvis and Jack to come together. The film is about the characters........ofcourse Elvis moreso. The mummy is a just a little subplot.......pretty much like the growth on his pecker.

The film is about Elvis......being old.....looking back on his life (as demonstrated by the numerous flashback sequences)......realizing his mistakes.......wasting away in an old folks home......then having new life pumped into his body, being given a reason to live again. It just so happens that the reason is the mummy.

Primitive Screwhead #1
Did either of you notice Reggie Bannister in the film as well as the rest home administrator, speaking of Phantasm? Cracked me up.

Cinemaddiction
Hated Phantasm, think it's overrated, to be honest, so I am not familiar with the characters.

Evil Dead
Yes sir.......I didn't know for sure he was going to be in it..but I had a feeling he would be. As soon as he stepped on screen I chuckled a bit. On the dvd commentary Don said that because the only movie of his that Reggie wasn't in was Beastmaster, Reggie would be in all of his future movies......to prevent another Beastmaster from happening.

I can partially agree with the Phantasm hate. The series is WAY over rated. Part 4 sucked ....Part 3 I'm indifferent to.....Part 2 is okay....Part 1 is just genius. Each movie is better than the one that proceeds it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.