Obesity rate is rising for kids

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ash007
Just read in the news that the rate of Obesity is rising and its true i mean even kids these days are overweight.

What do you think is causing this increase in Obesity for children are the parents to blame or are the fast food restaurants to blame because there main point of sale is geared toward kids.

What can be done about it?

Should the government encourage more exercising in schools or should school give lessons in healthy eating???

shaber
Indeed, poverty does not necessarily mean emaciation. A poor diet is very likely to cause obesity.

cLoVi€
all of them.

ash007
yeah but look at the U.S they have a highest Obesity rate in the world an i wouldnt say they all lived in poverty

silver_tears
I say fast food and junk food companys- McDonalds, Coke, etc.
If you drink a can of Coke every day for a year, you'll end up gaining 10 pounds on that alone.

Parents, they have no time to watch their kids, and sometimes they have no time to prepare the right food, so they just get take-out or whatever, and it adds up.

Schools, I personally believe that Phys. Ed should be mandatory till at least University.
They should encourage healthier eating, however, here in Phys. Ed we do have courses about eating right and such.

Doctors should especially watch children and try to keep them within the right weight for their age group.

ash007
indeed we cant have fat little kids around.

i mean all kids have to do is do a little excerise like play football and swimming.

plus being fat is not good for you

VENOMfan
Parents are to blame. If they dont have time to cook, pre-pare food in spare time and have them eat it later. if not that there is Subway.

Ive never seen Buger King cram food into somebodys mouth

dave123
one or two can's every day and I'm still nowhere near fat eek!

although having said that, I do go to the gym yes and i've also given up coke embarrasment

silver_tears
Coke is vile messed

BarmyBrummie
people are getting fatter because we are spending too much time sitting infront of the tv or computer or playing games on the ps2 or x box instead of getting up, going out and excercising

Fëanor
parents do have a responsibility when it comes to their children...unfortunately the vast majority are just too lazy too care when it comes to food type and choices

burlyman
Two words:
Desert diet.

Fire
PPl should look at themself before whining about others being responsible

WindDancer
Fast Food resturants-there main aim is children. That's a true statement. After all why do Mc. Donalds, Wendys, Jack in the Box, Carls Jr. always ALWAYS have to have things like Happy Meals? A free toy when buying a hamburger. That's just plain sick!

For goodness sake! Parents should really not spoil their kids by taking them to Fast food restaurants all the time! I blame both Marketing and Parents.

shaber
I am using UK definitions of poverty. The levels of poverty are intense, but not everyone in poverty is necessarily emaciated.

burlyman
I gave 30p I had to a bum smile
But he didn't remember me, when I passed by on the way back, he asked me again sad

silver_tears
Well happy meals are semi-important because children can't eat adult portions stick out tongue

yerssot
definitly "none of the above" ... if you gain weight and don't like it, you go to the gym or you take up a sport (you should even sport before you gain, to start with)
if you go from "gaining weight" to "fat", perhaps it's time to change your way of eating. but if you go from "fat" to "obesity" you just screwed up your chances!
Blaim parents? why? cause they let people eat greasy? kids here know that it's fat-making
Blaim advert agencies? cause they target children? sure, they got a happy-meal... what else? I doubt a Big Mac is targeted at children... (I only mention McDonalds here cause we don't have a Wendy's or KFC or ...)
Blaim fast food restaurants? for making profit? perhaps they should print out what the dictionary says about "stop" and tape that to their door, it's not their fault if you keep returning.
Blaim school? dunno how it is elsewhere, we had 2 hours, wasn't enough by a longshot imho (cause we didn't had to study for it big grin) but imo, the first objective of a school is to give you an education which you need later on in life which includes studying at a uni, if you want to sport go to a club.

if you're fat and have done absolutely NOTHING about it (as said above), you should tape off your mouth before more idioticy escapes

BackFire
I'm fat, and I recognize the fact that it's no ones fault but my own. When I want to lose weight, I will, but right now I'm happy the way I am. I'm real sick of people blaming the fast food restaurants, the parents, society...it's all bullshit. Too all fat people everywhere, it's no ones fault but our own, you don't like it? Put down the fork and hop on a bike.

yerssot
than you hide it well on your pics BF... you look ace to me big grin

BackFire
Well, lucky for me I'm also quite tall, so I don't look as heavy as I am.

I'm not horribly fat, but I could definately stand to lose a good 40 pounds.

yerssot
*gets calculator*
ah, height, the perfect hide-out wink

oh well, as long as it doesn't bother you, why care big grin

Stormy Day
Because its not healthy and even though you may feel confident and not care about your appearance its still not good.Im 13 and im not terribly chubby I have a stomach tho.I know what is was like to made fun of as a little kid and never make fun of a fat person because when I see it happen it makes me sick and I just dont like it.

shaber
Alot depends upon bone density doesn't it?

yerssot
or so they claim in south park wink

Stormy Day
smile

Xena
yes

before blaming some else for their obesity those people should at least accept some responsibility! Whats the point in blaming Mc donalds? It is your choice in the end. So no one should blame some else for their obese fat bodies!

lil bitchiness
I have a picture of a obease woman in a bikini stuck on my fridge, and underneath i wrote:

''Reach inside and this will be you on your next holiday''

I must say, it has an amazing effect. yes

DeNiro
Here are some very very easy ways that kids today wont get fat through their teen and adult years.

Parents should minimize on the sweets and encourage some more healther foods, and get their kids in physical excersie, sports is a great way for kids to get that excersie at a young age and also teach them confidence and competition.

Just an example of a lil girl in my family who will be fat. I was at a family party and this I think 2nd grade girl is their with her parents and she is already chubby and she wants another ****ing brownie it was her 3rd one and these brownies are made by my grandmother who puts a insane amount of chocolate and marshemllows in it. I had a half of one since I am starting a diet. But this girl who is in 2nd grade who doesnt get any excersie is eating these junk foods that just build up excess fats.

Im like if she just ate a decent amount of good food she wouldnt be hungry for the sweets.

I mean as backfire said that its no one else fault but yourself thats totally wrong it might be true as an adult you are mature enough to get your ass out and do some workouts and eat right but as a kid your parents are the ones feeding you and allowing you to eat those brownies and sit on your ass all day.

At my school all they have there to eat for the kids is pizza, mashed potatoes and other junk food im like no wonder these kids that dont make there lunchs that sit around all day are so ****ing fat. I think the school should provide us with some sweets but mostly healhty filling foods such as chicken breast, or beef. not mcdonalds french fries and ****ing pizza hut.

Lord Shadow Z
Kids won't eat healthier foods because healthier foods taste like shit- plain and simple.

WindDancer
Okay, wait a minute! Are we talking about adults or children here? Sure an adult is quite aware that by eating constanly fast food meals he/she will get overweight. Certainly he/she can blame only themselves for being obese, but a child doesn't know that! An adult has already being inform about nutrional facts. A child hasn't learn it yet! For us a large double chocolate milk shake is pack with calories and fat! A child doesn't know that! A child only knows that IT TASTE GOOD!

For the ppl who say "I'm fat is my fault" We KNOW that! But a child isn't properly inform that by eating too much fast food is bad for their health! That's why I blame parents and Fast food restaurants! Those people are adults! And they know that fast food is bad for children. Yet still target young kids with images of clowns, cartoons, toys, and contests! Don't you think that's just plain sick? I do!

yerssot
when I was young, I knew that if you ate too much or too greasy you got fat... And I have very strong believes that almost every kid knows that here

The Omega

DeNiro
I seriously cant belive how lazy people are. You know what makes me mad is the people that are so ****ing fat and then they lose all that weight and then are praised for it im like they dont deserve any praise they shouldnt of gotten fat in the first place. what about the people that bust their ass in the gym day in and out and eat right you dont see people saying behind their backs o did u see how much so and so did this no all you hear is oo did u hear about the fat ass thatsnot fat anymore kinda makes me mad

BackFire
Yep, I agree. I hate assholes like Jared getting all this praise because HE PAID 6$ FOR A GODDAMN VEGETABLE SANDWICH THAT HE COULD HAVE MADE FOR FREE AT HIS HOUSE. He went from being fat and ugly to just being ugly, and now his smug, unpleasant ass is a "hero" to other fat, smug people who have money to throw away on sandwiches that they could just as easily make at home. Idiots.

DeNiro
I dont know if you are being sarcastic or not but what ever it is backfire its funny as hell laughing out loud

BackFire
No, I'm dead serious, I think it's so lame.

Corran
As a parent I take full responsibility for my children's obesity and have voted that it's the parents fault.

The Omega

crazy_c
Parents are to blame for children being obese. It's the parents resposnibility to be feeding their children right from the start so that their kids will know how to eat right when they're older.

amity75
Kids don't just wake up one morning being 60lbs overweight. It's a gradual thing and any decent parent should see it and be able to put a halt to it immediately before their kid becomes a fat little bastard with kindergarden breasts.

Cyclops
Boredom and technology. Our lives are too easy.

And... the problem isn't the food you eat, it is what you do post-eating. If you eat a plate of Pasta then play hockey, you are fine. If you eat a plate of Pasta and then watch TV, that is asking to have 12 chins.

Dietery Suppliments are not really necessary. Diet plans, etc... just think! If you can walk into a McDonalds that you have not been employed at and have the staff know you by name, I think there is a problem there.

Corran
Hell yeah they're like baby elephants oh wait no they are not obese, yet, but if they become so I would blame myself and their mothers, but at the moment they have a reasonable diet and they don't just sit in front of a comp or games machine all day. If they were obese we would make them have a healthier diet and take them swimming, walking and playing footy more, you know like exercise and stuff, when I was a kid me and my mates would be out all the time whenever possible, loads of kids now just seem to want to sit in and watch TV or play games, this isn't good.

SlipknoT
I'm fat and its my fault, but I like being fat I can eat anything I want. It's nobodys fault but my own

fini
yeah, a lot of what u people saying are right.
Parents dont know how to discipline their children anymore, so they do and eat everything. They sits on their asses and watch tv, computers, video games.

And it starts from young too. I think parents have to really rethink this " being kids friends thing and start being their parents"

The Omega
Fini> Ah, yes. You have a good point with the "parents should tsop being friends with their kids and start acting like parents."

BackFire
A good parent can do both.

The Omega

BackFire
True. Parenting must come first. However there is such a thing as being to much of a parent. If you just nag, yell and punish your kid, then they will be more likely to rebel in their teen years by doing drugs and what not. You gotta find a way to be both "friends" and Parents with your kids.

DeNiro
My kid is going to be eating right all of his life and doing excersises lik as much as possivble and then when he is about 13 years old then a lil weight lifting then when he is 14 I am going to have him on a full blownbodybuilding training schedule unless he doenst want to work out but really when your big in school you have so much more fun seriously you get so much cool attention

Captain REX
California is the only state where schools make it a requirement. Curses!

yerssot
*makes plans to move to Califoooorniah*
schools you say?
*scratches plans, takes out walking stick* I don't think so big grin

Corran
Here ALL schools make exercise a requirement.

fini
yeah alll schools should have that, but many kids still find ways to get out of it.

I couldn't do too much exercise when i went to school cause i have really bad asthma ( its even worse now,), but i still found time to go swimming, cycling and martial arts after school.

SO its this extra hours after school kids should be active, instead of being indoors.

As for the point of kids rebelling during teenage years.........well most teenagers rebel during this stage whether or not they are being disciplined at home. And as years progress a parent has to change their parenting routine from PARENT to friend ( well partially at least)

Corlindel
Give then vegetables soup before and fruit after the meal. Thats waht I do with my son. He eats a lot but He is far from obesity.

Avoid fast food.

Less TV and more exercise and physical games outside.

diegocala
Maybe kids are fat cause they spend too much time in these damn forums... confused

Corran
If that's the case then why aren't we fat? Oh wait we are embarrasment

lil bitchiness
Soup before the meals thumb up absolutely. I guess continental soup in Eurpoe is little different than those in England, but my mom makes continental soup when im home and we eat it before every meal. It isnt very caloric and it fills you up somewhat before the main course. thumb up

ShootinBastard
hey ppls anyone know how to make a post

Creechuur
I used to wonder why kids seemed so much more inclined to sit around the house nowadays. Obviously, technology has given kids more fun stuff to do at home, but there had to be more to it. Like some of you have said, when I was young I would be out from morning til night just running around with friends, skating, whatever.

I don't know why it wasn't obvious to me at first, but depending on where you live it can be pretty dangerous for kids to be out on their own. We live in a decent neighborhood, but there are areas nearby that are pretty sketchy. It seems like all the scum hang out at parks and the local convenience store, which happens to be where the kids always want to go. Our older kids (13 and 15) have the common sense to steer clear of danger, but sadly our 11 year old is just too friendly and gullible to go out on her own. She's actually come home from school with stories of GROWN MEN whistling at her from cars as she walked home. She doesn't even have boobies yet!!!!

In my many years of childhood, I rarely got approached by shady characters. The worlds a different place nowadays.

Kids can still get exercise at home of course (and I make sure mine do), but this defintely a factor in overweight kids.

I couldn't vote on the poll though, you need and "All of the above" choice.

plenTpak52
I think its because it's easier to buy 20 cheeseburgers from McDonalds for under a dollar than it is to buy healthier foods more much higher prices

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.