Go rent some DVDs from McDonald's!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

JKozzy
Burger giant McDonald's Corp. will begin renting DVDs at all 105 of its stores in the Denver area.

The summerlong test pits two of the more ubiquitous names in American consumerism against each other -- McDonald's vs. Blockbuster.

McDonald's already has tested renting DVDs in the D.C. and Las Vegas areas, with some success, and the new test in Denver should prove to the company whether to roll the idea out nationally.

The McDonald's video rental program is more loosely structured, and cheaper, than what Blockbuster has to offer. The DVDs can be returned to any McDonald's, and at $1 a day is less expensive than the $3.99 Blockbuster charges to rent a DVD for three days.

Blockbuster will offer a larger selection of DVD titles, however. McDonald's will only carry the 30 most popular titles.

http://www.bcentral.com/articles/bizJourn/default.asp?newsid=denver20040524daily1&cobrand=msn&LID=3800

Wow... sad sick I refuse to rent from them.

Mr. Bacon
no way no

ash007
i hate McDonald's

Gregory
That's ... odd. I'm not gonna support them, certainly.

Cyclops
Does that include adult movies?

burlyman
laughing out loud how pathetic of them... what next, clothes store? blink

Fire
great idea all for it big grin

WindDancer
Big Mac and a Movie? This whole big business merging has just no limits. Instead of Pop-corn....a burger? Ha!

Devalion
Well the burgers we get from our McDonalds are crap.......so I f***** if I'm gonna get movies from them!!!

WindDancer
All Mc Donalds burgers are crap...........well, maybe the Big Mac isn't so crappy, but still NO burger will ever substitude a bag of Pop-corn while watching a movie.

Crash Overload
You just wait when "Blue Nuit" becaomes a top 30!

TrixStar
another reason to make us and our kids fatter roll eyes (sarcastic)

Myth
I'd take a burger over popcorn anyday.

<<Solo>>
Man that is one huge fu**ed up idea.

Cinemaddiction
Sounds about as stupid as those dispoable DVD's they sell at gas stations some places.

Apparently people aren't aware of places like Hollywood Video, who rents out all new releases for $3.50 for 5 nights?

Hope it never comes to fruition, although Blockbuster is e-vil.

Myth
DVDs are $2.99 at Blockbuster in Oregon. big grin

BackFire
Very stupid.

Regal_Shock
so what its cheap maybe ill go there for a dvd or just visit

ladygrim
as if

Devalion
Too right!

Cinemaddiction - I love your sig mate! big grin

lil bitchiness
They are expanding thier business, just like any other major firm....no one complained when coca-cola company started to make clothes...its the same thing.

I hate McPoison, but this is their idea of getting into a broader market, good for them.

BackFire
Yeah, good for them. Way to cater to their typical obese customer. "now I can buy my shitty food and rent my shitty Meg Ryan movie at teh same place, no more driving to another building for me".

lil bitchiness
Pretty much, yeah. Sad really.

BackFire
Just goes to show that only lazy people eat at Mcdonalds. *goes to get Mcdonalds*

lil bitchiness
laughing out loud

I wander if it will work...seeing how big of a business they are?

Cyclops
Valid point, Lil. I look at it in a different light.

McDonalds is already patronising the young with their 'im lovin it' slogan. A whole bunch of ghetto children (I apologize if that offends you) playing basketball and/or listening to rap/r & b music eating McDoanlds, laughing a smiling. Which, in my opinion, belittles any sort of clique you may belong to.

I understand that people in marketing must target a certain group, but must they drop so much money into a marketing capaign? Could they not use that money just as well on other things? Like, THEIR FOOD perhaps?

Maddox says it best, and he is funnier then me

BackFire
I doubt it. Dedicated big name movie rental chains (Blockbuster/Hollywood Video) are having trouble these days. Alot of people are renting from online rental sites. I doubt Mcdonalds will have a big enough library to compete with other dedicated rental stores.

lil bitchiness
thumb up yeah, i guess you're right. Bad move for them then....i guess they worked on a principle that if its cheap people will rent it...

JKozzy
That's pathetic though; I know that I'm one of the people that won't be suckered into that What the f**k?

Besides, as previously stated, Hollywood Video has 5 day rentals for $3.50, duh! Much better deal than both of them....

Myth
$3 for 3 day new releases and $3 for week long rentals.
$2 for VHS.
$3.50 or $4 (can't remember which) for video games.

Oregon Blockbusters big grin

Cyclops
3 'older' movies, full week, $5 Canadian. (half a buck american? confused )

New Release: $5.00 ... rent one, get one free with a movie stub from the cinema.

Jumbo Video

Stormy Day
I would rent at HollyWoodVideo instead of BlockBuster but my bill is up there so im just running from credetors shifty

Corran
No way, that's soooo wrong.

Fire
I disagree with Corran, again I A) Don't see the problem with eating at Mc D's if you don't like it don't eat there, but don't blame people who do. B)if Mc D wants to start a rent-DVD service they are entitled to do so. Wether any of us agree with it is pretty irrelevant

shangheid
amen

Corran
How can burger be better than popcorn when watching a movie??

Fire
not when watching a movie but in general big grin

Corran
But popcorn's definately better with a movie, popcorn and pepsi.

Fire
popcorn and coke :P

Corran
don't do drugs, well except for Caffeine, paracetemol, ibuprofen and alcohol.

JKozzy
laughing out loud Of course.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.