Review: The Day After Tomorrow

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

sith_darth_jay
i just saw the movie half an hour ago, so here's my sypnosis:

the movie starts in alaska( or somewhere in the north pole) where a big casket of ice breaks, this events marks the begining of a new ace age.

the worlds weather changes drastically through out the world, espeacially in the northen hemisphere. europe, asia, canada and the united states are the ones that suffer the most.
in the middle of these natural desasters, is Jack Hall (Dennis Quaid) a Washington-based climatologist. he is the one that finds that global warming could trigger a catastrophic shift in the world's climate.

He's got a family. Sela Ward has his wife, Dr. Lucy Hall. Jake Gyllenhaal as their 17-year-old son, Sam, who is trapped in New York when a huge super storm sweeps across the globe, and all hell breaks loose. His son has to survive in the new york and he will try to save him.

ok, here's my review:

at the begginig of the movie, i felt as though i was watching ID4 (independence day) the structure (at least the beggining) is almost identical to ID4, the way the scenarios are presented, the plot, even the camera movements (shots) are almost identical, there's some godzila in it too(even there's a titanic moment in it :P), but then the effects kick in (which are the real star of the movie) and the movie gets kinda enjoyable. it's not like you care about the characters, you know what's gonna happen to them, but it tries o have a plot envolving them.

the FXs are just amazing, the aereal new york shots are just great, the tornados in LA are great aswell (they look a lot like X-2). you can tell when they used a blue screen or CGs, but they are done in good way, not crappy.

like i said, you don't really care about the actors, i don't believe jake gyllenhaal as 17 years old kid, i just don't buy it, he should have been a college boy instead, but you forget about that when good stuff begins, same goes for quaid or ward.

the plot it's pretty much like ID, there's even a dog that saves himself from dying.

overall: good movie, mostly a pop corn flick, great FXs and i you want to discuss the apocalictical part of it (or ven POLITICAL, cause the actual goverment can take a message from this movie, as crazy as it sounds) go ahead, i don't much about global warming or ice age but it tries to be close to reality as possible, it's a paranoia about weather changes, luckly no more aliens

i'll give a 7/10.........................or maybe an 8
no, perhaps not

one more thing: i love when the americans run to mexican border and try to get in ilegally, i just couldn't stop laughing my ass off when that happen, it's hilarious!

and DO NOT READ THIS SPOILER IF YOU DON'T WANT THE WHOLE MOVIE SPOILED nah, maybe is shouldn't tell you.........................................................

or maybe i should, jakes die stick out tongue

moonwalker741
the movie is out....i thought it comes out on friday....??

lol its funny yesterday (wedsday)...i sed to my friend "hey! the day after tommorow comes out the day after tommorow....lol...im so lame....

Clark_Kent
i think you used the spoiler a tad bit too late.

sith_darth_jay
moonwalker> i don't live in the states, it came out yesterday here in my country

clark kent> what do you mean confused

Dexx
oh..i'll see this one next week or something.

moonwalker741
i c...kewl.....im gonna see it on manday cuz im off from skool cuz of memorial day...i hope its good...trailers make it look intense

Cinemaddiction
..it's not even true, so don't worry. Loved the movie, just figured I'd add that.

nach01
i just saw it... yea it was kindof intense, i liked it
i'd give it a 7/10

sith_darth_jay
big grin yeah, it's just a joke (i you haven't seen the movie don't read my spoiler)

i think i made a mistake in my synopsis: is it in the north pole or in Antarctica where the ice breaks?

BackFire
I liked it, it was never boring and visually stunning.

DenKi
Very very good film, Very shame about the ending, it was too quick and missed loads of bits out, It just Cut to when they picked them up..... dont wanna give 2 much away....

@ngel
9/10

Stormy Day
Cinema Addiction I know im being anoying but cool sig!

I saw it 7/10

Darth Vicious
I saw this movie on friday and i tought it was really good, the mexican border thing was hillarious, the effects were incredible and i enjoyed the plot of the father trying to rescue his son, im a sucker for father/son movies since im a sinle father but the movie it made me wonder if something like that can really happen, if it does happen in our lifetime we are screwd big time! 9/10 for me!

Cinemaddiction
Annoying? Not at all, and thank you.
big grin

Zilverz
Just took my girlfriend to see this last night. We both enjoyed it. I think she had a thing for jake. Anyway, I think there were a few unneccisary scenes, but I did enjoy the movie

8/10

@ngel
I saw on the news that It would take a meteor impact (A meteor the size of greenland) to disrupt our clmiate enough to do that.

Krabs55
WOW thats a big freaking metor

Destructo
I liked the day after tomorrow. It had good special effects and intensity,
a good plot and good performances. Some parts were slow and boring though and It seemed a little bit long, but apart from that it was great. The tidal wave, twisters, hail storm and wolves scenes were the best.
7 out of 10 stars from me.

Stormy Day
big grin

badkittykitty
totally agree with BF...I never felt really bored and they never stop the special effects for to long 8/10 for entertainment factor.

moonwalker741
action wuz great in my opinion but........the ending sucked....they should of finished the story more...like what happens next....like terminator 2, sum1 is talking about wut happens in the future.......

hell, the black hobo guy and his dog should of been the only person hu survived

Kes
Agree. Never felt bored, imo it has one cheesy scene (the firefighter coming back roll eyes (sarcastic) totally unnecessary). Oh and they should have shown lots of rats running away. I mean it does pretty much take place in NY. lol
Great effects, a well built story and a good ending IMO.
And finally Americans giving credit to somebody else LOL
I actually felt cold watching this movie blink I think they turned the AC really low and tried to freeze us in the movie theater.

Corran
I liked this movie and I thought I wouldn't, that's always a nice surprise, thought it would be just another American hero movie, and although Jack was a bit of a hero travelling to 'rescue' his son when he needn't have done so because his son took his advice, it was still good and the effects and views were V Good. I would suggest you watch it if you have not done so already, not a classic but still quite good. 7/10

Fire
I'll go and have a look at this one after exams

sith_darth_jay
me too!

right now it's like really cold in my country, but i felt it even more when i watched the movie. Gonna go see it again next week, after i see HP

Cyclops
A good movie, like a good comedian, leaves you wanting more.

It was an excellent movie. Great concept for a movie, as well.

8.5/10

SunnySkittlez
I saw the movie last saturday, and it was pretty intense, but is was actually better than I expected it. lol I find it funny how it's always L.A that gets the big things first in disaster movies..xD

COTTON MOUTH
I have seen the film it was cool and intense but not the best.

hollygolightly
This movie scared me. The moral was a bit pushed at the end though. Gotta love the political message about the third world countries put in there. Oh and when everything gets like a million degress below zero? and it snows? That's not possible. I really liked the homeless guy and his dog. The frozen statue of liberty was awesome, and Jake was really hot, as always. When I came out of the theater after seeing this, the temperature had dropped ten degrees. Really freaked me out.

SpaceMonkey
This movie surprised me. I expected something with a weak storyline like Independence Day but instead I got the crap scared out of me. Not in the same way Blair Witch or the original Halloween did, but in the way that we could be looking at the future of this planet and not very many seem to care. The special effects are VERY believeable, and the acting was adequate for this type of movie. Dennis Quaid and Jake Gyllenhall were head and shoulders above the rest of the cast. Since everyone is rating this movie on a 1-10 scale, I will do the same. 7.5/10

poshtotty1987
Yeah i sed that 2! embarrasment

Colabee
I really liked it. Was on the edge of my seat quite a few times and hiding behind my hands for the scene with the wolves. Haven't done that kind of thing at the movies for ages.

Because it's possible that one day the events in the film will happen I also found it upsetting to watch too. When I came out the cinema I remember breathing in the air and taking the time to look around at everything and listening to the birds chirping in the trees. So if nothing else the film made me appreciate life. At least for a few days anyway laughing out loud

8/10 from me.

Scholar
I loved the movie, it had great effects, the only retarded part was when the wolves came and attacked the guys when they were trying to get on the ship for the medicine, i dont know it just seemed to fake for me

COTTON MOUTH
It was a pritty intense, stuff I was not expecting.

botankus
No reviews for two months?
Anyways, I thought it was a lot better than anything I was expecting. Don't really like the PG-13 rating, they cut away from ALOT of stuff that would have been shown in an R movie, but hey, what can you do nowadays.

Overall, entertaining and not boring, like BF said.

TWelling4Ever
i luvd this movie, it was very entertaining!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.