NBA: Best Shooter Ever?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

MaverickIce
Name your picks, mine are

1) Larry "Legend" Bird

2) Jerry "Mr.Clutch" West

3 "Pistol" Pete Maravich

So, how about you all?

wuTa
reggie miller

micheal jordan

jerry west

i would say reggie miller is the best pure shooter

Myth
Reggie Miller

Alias_Neo
Jerry West, no doubt

Arachnoidfreak
toss up between Bird and Miller. Jordan didnt really have a 3-point shot.

Clark_Kent
Pega, Glen Rice (hornet days), Wesley Person, M. Jordan(later in his career) Ray Allen, and Reggie Miller.

Clark_Kent
oh, and Paul Pierce, and Derk N.

Arachnoidfreak
Larry Bird is way better than most of those people you named. Granted Glen Rice is one of the best ever, but not #1. Jordan couldnt shoot 3s like Bird or Miller, so he's out. Person was a fvcking fantastic shooter...i had forgotten about him. Dirk Novitzki still has some practicing left to do to become the best ever... and Paul Pierce needs to take better shots. Pega??...do you mean Peja Stojacavich? great shooter, not the best...yet. he may be one day.

Clark_Kent
yeah, I typed it wrong, him and derk... wacko I knew it was wrong, so I spared his last name as well. And Jordan had the mid-jumper, he did more shooting than dunking than a common ESPN highlight reel.

Arachnoidfreak
well, later in his career he was the best mid-range shooter, but if we are talking overall, 3 point shots included, then he isnt the best. his 3 point FG average isnt that good.

wuTa
paul pierce? i dont think he's one of the top shooter's in the league and he certainly isnt one of the best shooters ever and jordan never really took alot of the 3s but he could hit than...he tied the record for most 3s in the nba finals when when played the lakers

Clark_Kent
six in a row with a "i don't know" expression..and Clifford Robinson looks so young back then..like a young Jamie Foxx.

Paul Pierce is good, they don't play games on T.v.and when they are they fail miserable, Pierce is the Main Guy to take shots in a game..bein' doubled teamed. Personally, I'd like to see Pierce in a diffrent uniform, maybe with YAO!!

wuTa
yea i'm not saying he's not good he's bostons best player and an all star for sure but he gets alot of his buckets with drives and by creating his own shot and not really a catch and shoot guy...he's one of the most talented players in the league but he's not one of the best shooters in the league

Linkalicious
This thread is somewhat pointless. For every person you name, someone else can name 2 more that are argueably better shooters.

You say Jerry West, but in his day competition wasn't as tight. And he didn't even have a three point line his entire career.

Reggie can fire threes, but he's not extremely consistant. I highly question his mid-range game, turn around jumper, and skills near the hoop.

Bird was just a pure shooter...he deserves to be on everyone's list.

Glenn Rice....had like 2 good years. He was like league MVP one year...then feel completely into obscurity.

Jordan had an all around game like Kobe Bryant. Sure he wasn't known for his 3 point skills, but he could hit them in the clutch and when his team need fuel for a come back.

Peja Stojacavich has a really nice touch, quick release, and nice rotation on his shot. But he can't create shots for himself. Being strictly a 3 point thread leaves you in a class with shooters like Steve Kerr and Dennis Scott.

Ray Allen is just a wee bit young to be on this list, but in time, I think he'll show that he's one of the best shooters in NBA history. He's got a really pure shot with a really quick release...and he's deadly from all over the court.

If you're going to name Wesly Person. Then you might as well include shooters like Steve Smith and Terry Porter.

Dirk is a great outside shooter for a big guy, but inside play counts as shots too. I don't think Dirk is very good with his back to the basket at all...so i wouldn't include him on my list.

Arachnoidfreak
all valid ponts. also, Dan Marljie was a great shooter, and you pointed out Steve Kerr, and i also think early Mitch Richmond was a great shooter...not so much later in his career though....he kinda just went away

Arachnoidfreak
well, i was looking it over, and curiously, there are guards and other forwards who shot better than Larry Bird....percentage wise anyway. i discounted Power Forwards and Centers because they take high percentage shots all game. http://www.nba.com/history/players/index.html

Linkalicious
Bird was clutch....no.....make that Super Clutch.

And he was tall like big Bird. Then you take into account his 3 point championships...and boom. He's just sick.

Now why hasn't someone named someone like the silky smooth Tim Legler? roll eyes (sarcastic) I mean...the guy wont the 3 point championship back to back to back....didn't he?

Arachnoidfreak
nono, Bird was Uber Super Clutch. only ones i can think of as good as he was in the clutch are Jordan and Mr. Clutch himself, Jerry West.

wuTa
no he only won it one year the only players to win it 3 times in a row are craig hodges and larry bird

MaverickIce
Why doesn't anyone like Pistol Pete?

Arachnoidfreak
i love Pistol Pete! he made some great shots, but he isnt the shooter that Larry Bird is, or Reggie Miller

MaverickIce
True, True.....

Arachnoidfreak
Im playing the Fantasy mode of NBA2k2 and im wondering if i should trade Reggie Miller for Michael Jordan. someone help!

MaverickIce
Yes. Definetly, what is the rest of the team?

Arachnoidfreak
well, my starting lineup is: Steve Nash, Reggie Miller, Scottie Pippen, Shawn Kemp, Shaquille O'Neal(i cant believe i was able to draft him! stupid computer cool )

my Bench is: Chauncey Billups, Steve Kerr, Kendal Gill, Michael Oliwakandi, Mookie Blaylock, Robert Horry, Richard Jefferson.

and i have Rodney Rogers and some point gaurd i never heard of on reserve.

also, id have to trade Miller and a draft pick, since the Cavs have too many players already. i dont know if i want to do that.

wuTa
what the hell is shawn kemp doin in your starting lineup?

Arachnoidfreak
he was the only "good" power forward left. i suppose i could switch him with Robert Horry, but Kemp is a better inside player

mizzoufan1990
Steve Kerr is by far the greatest shooter ever. He is the NBA's all-time most accurate 3-point shooter, and always came up big in the clutch. If the game was on the line I would want him taking my shot. He also didnt get countless times 2 prove himself like Bird and Miller. Had he been allowed more chances I think this would be obvious. Bird and Miller have missed in the Clutch. Kerr hasn't. KERR IZ THE GREATEST!
OUT BITCHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

koolruningz
Bird and Miller were great pressure shooter. Mark Price was deadly and had the perfect stroke. Anyone remember Dale Ellis? He could fill it up. Not sure about West, history says he is a great clutch shooter but i never saw him play on a regular basis. You could put MJ in there but he is the best at everything else so lets give the others a chance.

darth_royke
dale ellis was an oustanding shooter. glen rice in his(short) prime made shooting an art form. reggie miller, was'nt maybe the best shooter... but clutch wise almost no comparison. except jordan perhaps. mark price from what i've seen was an awesome shooter. i always thought johjn stockton had a really efficient jump shot as well. especially from 15ft out, and the 3. talking of a jazz man what about hornacek? won the 3 point shoot out, and he was also a very efficient shooter.

what about your favourite shooters? i dont mean success wise but style? i gotta go with jordan, patrick ewing(one of my fave alltime players) and clyde the glyde drexler

jacobo0o
big shot bob

Myth
Originally posted by mizzoufan1990
Bird and Miller have missed in the Clutch. Kerr hasn't. KERR IZ THE GREATEST!
OUT BITCHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

Right, Kerr has never missed in the cluch roll eyes (sarcastic)

Did you honestly sign up just to say that? You've been here for 2 days but that is your only post. In anycase, I loved Kerr to death but he was no Reggie.

JacopeX
1. Larry Bird
2. Jerry West
3. Rick Barry

ElectricBugaloo
Larry Legend. I mean, he could beat everyone in his warmups!

Darth Calladus
in my opinion i wuld have to say birdman but its close between reggie and him. reggie culd hit some real clean shots. and his form was great. i mean if i had to pick a player i model my game after i wuld have to say reggie miller.

Darth Calladus
Originally posted by wuTa
what the hell is shawn kemp doin in your starting lineup? shawn kemp is the bomb he culd dunk on anyone. ANYONE!

Myth
was the bomb........ ten(+) years ago

darth_royke
a lot of players have been big, only to fall after moving team. i thin kemp was moved by seattle to cleveland, but was already showing signs of slowing down before he was traded. was indeed a good player though. glen rice was anopther, even won the all star mvp for some slick shooting and gettin a game high in points, nearly 30 i think it was. gary payton isnt the player he used to be, but perhaps more down to age.

Darth Calladus
yeah gary used to be real good. i say age on that one.

majjacet
hes old

ekin602
I'll take reggie in the 4th quarter anytime

Droopy
Larry Bird
Reggie Miller

Jard_Dooku
craig hodges? 25pts in the 3 contest?! reggie though for clutch shooting

BobbyD
Miller or Bird.

BobbyD
ooops...throw Ray Allen in there too.

FabledHero
Hmm... this is a tough one... really tough, there's so many great shooters...

In terms of best pure shooter, you'd most likely have to go with steve Kerr, however if your'e talkingabout in game situation with someone in your face, that's another story. I'd probably take Larry Bird in that case.

If I have a final shot though, a mid-range shot, nobody in their right midn would not choose Michael Jordan.

Just totally depends on how you classify it.

kingkman
Ray Allen's my pick but thats for 3 pointers.

Talking_Owl
Larry Bird

fruits
Originally posted by Talking_Owl
Larry Bird
hellz yes

DanZeke25
Larry Bird and Reggie Miller.

Double Infinity
George Gervin. He was considered the best outside shooter in the ABA then came to the NBA where he averaged over 26 points per game during his career. If he had played in the era of the 3 point line, his numbers would be right in the neighborhood of 30 ppg, right there with his airness.

koolruningz
Nice choice. thumb up

tanjot
reggie miller, larry bird.... and myself.

tanjot
in a few years, maybe even peja stajokavic... but so far he hasnt proven to b a great GAME shooter.

DanZeke25
Kyle Korver might be up there soon too. He's a monster.

Myth
Originally posted by tanjot
in a few years, maybe even peja stajokavic... but so far he hasnt proven to b a great GAME shooter.

I think Peja's best years are behind him.

darth_royke
if its anywhere within 10ft of the hoop... i'd go for shaq. its more 'placing' the ball in teh hoop than shooting, but i think i have a solid casebig grin

koolruningz
Im not sure Shaq and shooting should be in the same sentence, especially from 3ft and out. He gets his points from dunks and layups because he can get such good position.
Ive heard loads of so called experts say that Shaqs free throw problem is due to his hands being so large, what do you guys think?

Myth
Free throws are pretty tough with a nerf basket, right?

koolruningz
Nerf basket? confused

Myth
A full size hoop to Shaq is like a nerf basketball to us. Its hard to shoot a ball that is much smaller than your hands. Don't believe me? Shoot at a Nerf basket from oh, say 7-8 feet away to keep the proportions right. wink

koolruningz
laughing out loud Agreed. I'd just never heard of a nerf basket.

Arachnoidfreak
this
http://www.superduperhoops.com/images/p300/nerf_hoop.jpg

koolruningz
Thanks, i think we call them mini hoops over here. big grin

Dr. Strangelove
Originally posted by koolruningz
Im not sure Shaq and shooting should be in the same sentence, especially from 3ft and out. He gets his points from dunks and layups because he can get such good position.
Ive heard loads of so called experts say that Shaqs free throw problem is due to his hands being so large, what do you guys think?

Well historically big men have not shot free throws well (Wilt etc.). Shaq also fractured both his wrists as a child which could be a reason he always been bad at free throws.

koolruningz
Interesting Dr, i didnt know that. The euro big men have always been solid at free throws (Divac, Big Z for example), they obviously focus on different skills there other than dunking.

Myth
I think because in the US, you are trained to use your size more and that becomes your thing and you practice further shots less. In Europe the big guys are still taught to shoot. Thats just an assumption though.

tanjot
another reason, euro players are known to shoot and just shoot.... thats all they work on, or atleast what they r all best at.

tanjot
anyway, lets get back to the thread...the best shooter ever is larry bird.

darth_royke
in europe everyone is given teh same kind of drills. so everyone is expected to be able to shoot, and to some extent dribble well. the thing they dont seem to work on is how to overpower and using their size in the paint, which the americans seem to know well. it was something i had to teach myself to learn when i was learnign the game, our teachers were all about shooting from 12ft out and cutting to score with layups. luckily, i started to play pretty well when i got myself a back to teh basket game, no-one else did it so didnt know how to defend it. those were the days.

Myth
Originally posted by darth_royke
in europe everyone is given teh same kind of drills. so everyone is expected to be able to shoot, and to some extent dribble well. the thing they dont seem to work on is how to overpower and using their size in the paint, which the americans seem to know well. it was something i had to teach myself to learn when i was learnign the game, our teachers were all about shooting from 12ft out and cutting to score with layups. luckily, i started to play pretty well when i got myself a back to teh basket game, no-one else did it so didnt know how to defend it. those were the days.

Yeah, thats what I figured.

tanjot
if the rookie team won, charlie v would definitely b the MVP. 18 points, 12 boards... him and luther head play well together.

kenobi
The best shooters might not necessarily have been the top scorers:
1) Reggie Miller, a good 18- 20 pt scorer
2) Dale Ellis, people forget he could shoot 3's like they were lay-ups!
Now the scorers:
3) Larry Bird
4) Jerry West

darth_royke
yeah dale ellis was sweet at the arc, glen rice used to be an awesome shooter too... remember he caught fire in the allstar game in 97 or 98 i think? he had a second half record for points it think. and his wife was hotter than his shot!

koolruningz
Ellis was nice no doubt, Dell Curry (from that era) had a great touch and a lightning quick release from 3 to.
Nice pickup on Jerry (logo) West Kenobi, he had a deadly pull up jumper.
thumb up

tanjot
u gotta give it to larry bird, he made what...15 straight shots in the 3 point shootout !!

tanjot
or was it 12??

tanjot
no one?

koolruningz
I have done some research for you tanjot and it seems to be 11. Whatever the number was if he missed that last shot he would have looked like a total dickhead. Thats what was so great about Bird, its his confidence and arrogance that made him one of the greatest. He was one of the all time greatest trash talkers because he could back it up.

skyflyer
IMO he is the best shooter ever but looking back at how he performed in the 3 point shootout, his score wasn't even that great.

DigiMark007
Someone mentioned Mark Price. Dude was sick. And didn't he have the best free throw % ever or something? His Cavs would always get owned by Jordan's Bulls in the playoffs, but he could still shoot like mad.

Larry and Reggie of course, and I'm surprised at the lack of love for Pistol Pete.

BuzzKiller
Originally posted by DigiMark007
Someone mentioned Mark Price. Dude was sick. And didn't he have the best free throw % ever or something? His Cavs would always get owned by Jordan's Bulls in the playoffs, but he could still shoot like mad.

Larry and Reggie of course, and I'm surprised at the lack of love for Pistol Pete.

You are right DM except I would put Pistol Pete above Reggie

RecSpecs110
the best shooter ever: a tie between reggie miller and larry bird. nothing more to discuss

ryan92
y isn't reggie miller up there? after all he is mr clutch.and is this legends of the past or aff all time cause of all time ray allen will kick everyones ass except maybe 4 peja cause he is pretty deadly

ryan92
yep pistol pete deserves more credit but reggie desrevs even more

Deadly31
You guys cant be freakin serious? To not choose Reggie Miller or Larry Bird is to be ignorant..... or dont have knowledge, or you just HATE Reggie or Bird and dont want to choose them..... Instead you choose Dale Ellis? Glen Rice? Maravich? West?? Peja and Paul Pierce!?!?!?!?! I mean, can you please be serious for a while? Shooters like that COME and GO all the time... but they are not EVEN CLOSE to Reggie or Bird.

No one will ever get close.. i mean NO ONE will EVER BE AS GREAT OR GREATER PURE SHOOTERS & CLUTCH PLAYERS THAN REGGIE AND BIRD HAVE BEEN AND THE THINGS THEY ACHIEVED AND HOW MUCH DAMAGE THEY HAVE DONE TO TEAMS FOR A VEEEEEEERY LONG TIME AND IN EVERY DAMN GAME!!!

Not even in 100000 Years will there be better Pure Shooters WHO actually can Achieve the things they achieved... JUST by shooting!!!

The ONLY one that is worth to Mention today is only RAY ALLEN, absolutely no one else.... and Ray is not that close either! I mean.. just look at how many 3PT shots Reggie have made for example, its 2600 something (that Record is unbreakable, just like Wilt Chamberleins 100 PTS which not even a BALLHOG like Kobe Bryant could brake)... and EVERY SINGLE 3PT shot Reggie made was HUGE, Almost ALL 3PT shots was CLUTCH shots and BUZZER BEATERS... Not even BIRD can match the Damage REGGIE has done from 3PT Land, .......

Just ask SPIKE LEE and the Knicks... im sure he can answer your questions! big grin

And i heard someone say Steve Kerr??? Hahahahahahahahahaha, the man hit like 1 3PTer every 2nd game... and those were only OPEN 3PT shots with an accuracy of 50%....... REGGIE AND BIRD made like 4-5 3PT shots every game and they had to RUN off screens, being HIT, being Scratched, being Beaten Down, being Boxed in the face, being HeadButted and then finally take the Pass and make that FadeAway 3PT jumpshot with Two Guys hanging on them, one hanging on the Leg, the other one hanging in the neck......... and STILL average 40-45% from there......... and STILL be there EVERY game to Make the CLUTCH SHOTS.......... THATS SHOOTING!!!

Darth Martin
Kobe Bryant is in there if you put Dirk and Pierce in. When he gets hot theres no stopping him. Ex.

Kobe Bryant Scores 52 Points- Jazz at Lakers

At this time the Jazz were the best team in the league. Kobe man-handles them!
That was last week by the way and Kobe not at 100%.

TaZ#12
Kobe's coming back from the injury. It could be scary. One thing to say: he had 81 points. Oh and another 63 and didnt play the third quarter against the Mav's!

Darth Martin
Yes but the title is not best scorer........cuz we already know Kobe is #2 at that at all time, it's best shooter. And those great performances didn't have great %'s on those nights except the Dallas one.

RecSpecs110
Kobe is not the best shooter, period. There's a big difference between being a great scorer and a great shooter. Dirk is a better shooter than Kobe. His percentages are higher and his efficiency is greater. He scores less, because he doesn't shoot 90 shots a game. And pretty much everyone is unstoppable when they're hot.

Darth Martin
That's what I was trying to get TaZ#12 to understand.

TaZ#12
Kobe can score, Dirk can shoot: He doenst drive it in alot so yeah Dirk is a good shooter.

Darth Martin
wink

TaZ#12
Kobe can score from anywhere (hes proved it)!

Darth Martin
True.

parkerlindsey
Hi all...
Mine best are: Larry Bird, Reggie miller and Michael Jordan. Though Michael Jordan was not one of the best in his earlier days, now he is really the best shooter. Also Larry Bird and Reggie Miller are the best.

The_usher
Wesley Person, Reggie Miller and Paul Pierce

§P0oONY
Kobe

(At shooting into a women without her consent)

Rogue Jedi
http://www.toptenz.net/nba-3-point-shooters.php

AsbestosFlaygon
As long as he remains clutch and healthy, I see Ray Allen eventually surpassing Reggie Miller for the top spot.

JustFrame
Sorry to bring an old thread up, but I want in too!

A few very good ones come off the top of my head...

Reggie Miller, John Stockton, Ray Allen, Jerry West to name a few, and the two others in my mind that were "arguably" the best overall shooters of all time were Pistol Pete and Larry Bird.

Those two had sensational shooting, and to make it even more spectacular was how they would score with some of their shots, absolutely ridiculous. To me, Reggie is arguably the best 3pter of all time, however for overall best shooter, Pistol Pete or The Bird takes it.

BobbyD
Originally posted by Mav
Name your picks, mine are

1) Larry "Legend" Bird

2) Jerry "Mr.Clutch" West

3 "Pistol" Pete Maravich

So, how about you all?

Reggie Miller can hang and maybe do better than these guys.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.