What interested you into comics?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Cyclops
At what age and why did you start reading/watching shows and movies based upon a comic idea?

VENOMfan
oh geeze..uh...probably.....4 or 5 when I could read well. then I was pretty much star struck by comics. watched the cartoons, bought the toys ate the ceral, had the sheet's.................

Cyclops
Pillow cases, Pyjamas?

Gregory
Pretty late in the game--maybe during my freshman year of college. Well, except that I went through a He-Man phase and a Ninja Turtles phase.

moshtitan
oh ya those were the days,pajamas and underwear, now none of that stuff fits me. What the f**k? But ya, id hafta say around 3 or 4, i remember watchin the death of the incredible hulk. then i had to have every thing hulk, and untill this day i havent changed one bit.

Arachnoidfreak
around 8 or 9 my father started bringing home crates of really old, and/or really obscure comics. the mainstream ones that i did find like Ironman, Thor, Superman, instantly pulled me in, but i still held a special appreciation for old and/or obscure. Gold Key comic's Turok(a character later picked up by Valiant, and then Acclaim bought the rights so they could make the video games); Broadway Comic's Star Seed, Fatale, and another title i cant remember at the moment; Innovation comic's Vampires; Chaos! Comics' Lady Death; Maximum Press' Glory and Avengelyne; Valiant Comics' X-O Manowar, and Bloodshot; Epic Comics' Dreadstar; Dark Horse comics...anyway, that's when i got into comics, but i didnt get to a comic book store and start collecting until late last year, when i started getting some money

ScarletSpider
I got into them around 4 years old, watching the cartoons and buying the toys and those packages of comics from Toys R' Us, they were a hodge podge of comics from the previous year that didn't sell so they would put together and sell 15 dollars worth of comics for only a few bucks. So that exposed me to a few new characters which was cool. My cousin also had a huge collection and we spent a lot of time hanging out. And then, one fateful day, my dad pulled a big box of comics out of storage, which he had forgotten about. Awesome stuff from the 70's hayday.

Then I kind of forgot about them for awhile, and awhile ago I was at a music/comics store, and found the .25 cent bin of old stuff that didn't sell. I bought almost 20 dollars worth of .25 cent comics and have since gone back and collected and started catching up on stuff since then, mostly using 1997 and 1998 as a starting point, since I'm mostly into Marvel I used the Heroes Return and Marvel Knights launch to get back into the current continuity.

Arachnoidfreak
Personally, as a teenager now, i think the 90s was a great decade for comics. Most of my favorite stories are from that decade, and i think storytelling has slipped since then. Companies like Valiant had great comics, but went out of business because they didnt have a popular logo. Though writers like Brian Micheal Bendis, Neil Gaiman, and Jeph Loeb are bringing well scripted stories back. im also glad to see Chris Claremont and John Byrne back in mainstream comics(i know, they are 80s, but they are great). well, not just for comics either, the 90s were great for movies and music too.

Cyclops
My brother mostly turned me onto comics....

....mostly.

Plus... I mean... Cyclops! Scott! Its me! big grin

Viper
As a high school senior, I only started to read some of the old Uncanny X-men as a joke for my website. Turns out I really got a kick out of em, and gradually grew into a fan of modern books as well as the nostalgic ones.

moshtitan
wow, such a variation of stories. interesting thread weve go here.

Magee
Well when i was like 7 or something i bought marvel superheros on the ps1 love, that game. I didnt realy realize what it was though lol, i only recognised wolverine basicaly and had no idea marvel was a comics company. Then through out the years i watched various cartoons, X-men, Spiderman, Hulk, Iron man, Fantastic 4 (was my favaroute probably because there was a huge range of characters always appearing, Silver Surfer (sucked but Thanos was in a few eps, didnt know who he was but i fell in love with him in marvel superheros). Then i kinda forgot about em for 2,3 yrs and someone i knew had a few comics. So i bought them ffrom wh smith for about 2 months, forgot about them again, yr and a half later i saw a cool cover, an xmen one. Few months later i joined kmc just for the matrix forum basicaly but a month or two later i saw this one, comic book disscusion, started to read posts learned about Thanos and lots more, started to collect xmen then Avengers united then ultimate xmen and now batman legends. yes
My life strory, thank you laughing Happy Dance

badsymbiote
I think I was about 6 or 7 when I got into comics. It was the late 1970's and pbs had the Electric Company--which featured some Spider-man segments. He couldn't talk for some reason, so all I remember about it is that there was a grown man in the costume gesticulating wildly like he was playing charades. I read Spidey comics and some X-men, and then began actively collecting Marvel's G.I. Joe and the Transformers titles when I was about 11 or 12, I think. I still have those books. My little brothers and I had quite the transformers toy collection, and I wish we managed to keep just some of them in good condition. The Megatron and Starscream were so beaten up, that they wouldn't even stay transformed. I kept my Optimus Prime, and when my oldest son was 4 years old, I let him play with it, and he broke his damned leg off in 5 minutes. Oh well, live and learn. I kept the rest out of harm's way, and only let them play with my oldest toys when supervised. I think it's wonderful that they like the same toys and stories that I do, and they think I'm the coolest mom ever for having all the stuff I do. If they say they like ninja turles, I say hold on, and come out with all 4 originals, Splinter, and Usagi Yojimbo and specialty figures and trading cards and comics, and that'll keep us all occupied for a while. Fun for everyone!

DarkCrawler
I read my first comic 2 years old...it was Spiderman 11#...I still have it.
http://www.samruby.com/SpidA/Large/Spiderman011.JPG

Magee
ermm u read ur first comic at 2?? u could read at 2??
wow one smart bastard lol

moshtitan
ya, that is pretty impressive.... i was still on those soft blow up books you chewed on! lol!

who?-kid
That's a good question, but I think it was the fact that a whole new world, where evil mostly gets beaten, was created, and that is was populated with dozens of heroes and villains. So if you didn't like Daredevil anymore, you could easily switch to another hero without leaving the imaginary world you got to know and love.

Another thing: If something happened in the Avengers, it could be that this had an influence in Spider-Man. And if an X-Man got killed, he won't make a guest appearance anymore in Fantastic Four. So the fact that all these individual stories make 1 gigantic story, fascinated me when I started reading comics.

Of course, now that I'm much older and lost tons of my naivety, I notice lots of mistakes are made against the so-called continuity of the "gigantic story". But still, it impressed me, and sometimes it still manages to amaze me.

SuperDarryl
I think I've been reading comic books sense about as long as I can remeber having awareness. I knew right at the beginning that my favorite character was the Incredible Hulk. Seeing the Incredible Hulk tv show was great as a kid, I used to think he was the coolest most powerful guy, watching him do amazing feats of strength. Around some time in elementary school I developed a liking for comic books generally and tried to immitate the artist drawings of heros like Superman and Spiderman, and I got pretty good at drawing because of comic books. To make a long story short, I got so good at drawing a began animating, and then progressed to school for animation. And graduated school with a A.A in Computer Animation, so comics have been in my life as long as I can remeber. yes bunny big grin

DemonicGambit-2
From the moment I was born! My unlce was and is completely into comics. So he'd sit around watching me, or in other words reading all his comics to me. Then when the cartoons came out, X-Men TAS, and the original Spiderman cartoon. Oh I was definitely hooked!

Wynndar
hahaha....darkcrawler, i own that issue too...it was really good...i was in elementry school, not 2....but i remember being hella impressed by the art and Wolverine's bad ass attitude...

Maelstrom
5 dad bought me dc and marvel, originally i liked dc cause of the legion of superheros and superfriends used to be on tv. Buy my friend used to like to play marvel superheros, so i started likeing marvel

eleveninches
I used to watch x-men TAS when it was first shown years ago, but i only started collecting comics just over a year ago

thundercracker
I was like 9 or 10 and my dad took me 2 a shop and said pck a magazine so i chose a fantastic four just cause i liked the cover got hooked for like 3 years on the ff and got loads of random issues from other story lines but then stooped reading em 4 awhile just started up again and now im 17 and subscribed 2 venom 4 now not sure wat else 2 get

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.