Pointless LotR Facts!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

sauron
- Sean Bean (Boromir) starred in a UK TV series as a soldier during the Napoleonic wars with the name of Richard Sharpe. He subsequently appeared in a series of commercials where he would allude to his earlier role, saying things like, "Sharpe idea". In FOTR he continues the joke: after touching the Sword of Elendil he says, "Still Sharpe."

- In late 1999 in Queenstown, a record rainfall caused the worst flooding in the history of the district. Sean Bean and Orlando Bloom were caught between landslides and trapped in a tiny town in the middle of the South Island. They were taken in by a kindly woman who offered them food and a bed.

- Boromir's father, Denethor, is played by John Noble. In Lothlorien, Boromir says, "My father is a noble man."

- When Boromir is teaching Merry and Pippin to use their swords, he says "2, 1, 5!". These are actually the correct numbers for the system of parries used by the Society of American Fight Directors, and many stunt coordinators and fight masters worldwide. Boromir even matches the numbers with the correct locations

- At Osgiliath, Samwise says, "It's all wrong! By rights we shouldn't even be here!" In the books Frodo and Sam never visit Osgiliath.

- In the book The Two Towers, Pippin talks about being captured by the orcs. "Only nine days ago," he says, "It seems a year since we were caught." Unfortunately, this line did not make it into TTT (the movie), where it would have been unintentionally amusing

- Richard Taylor said Treebeard would be "a very different creature from anything we've seen in cinema before." Treebeard talks and acts just like the Rockbiter in "The NeverEnding Story".

- Writer Frances Walsh voiced the screams for the Nazgul. "We dragged Fran onto the Foley Stage," recalls Ethan Van der Ryn, supervising sound editor, "and got the most spine chilling screams I've ever heard in my life. They just about knocked me on my ass."

- In the movie "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets" as Harry enters Dumbledore's study, a portrait of Gandalf the Grey is included in the collection of paintings. (It is above the doorframe.)

- The volcanic lava of Mount Doom was actually made of the same sauce that's in fast food apple pies

- The portraits on the wall at Bag End, representing Bilbo's parents, are actually portraits of Frances and Peter (without the beard).

fini
hmmm ur really reaching deep now huh, sauron

KingOfGondor292
Woah O.O;

I never knew any of those

*is shure to look at the 'harry potter' one next time I see the movie* x)

sauron
stick out tongue indeed :P

i have also prepared the worst joke in human history just for you all big grin

*a rohirrm arrow hit the camera man at the most innapropriate time stick out tongue*

KingOfGondor292
lol!!

Bloom4ever
i wuz thinkin the same thing for the third one, lol. Sauron, how many times hav you see the movie?

Aurora
hehe In the TTT comentary during the time when Dom and Billy are talking over the credits when Sean Bean's name comes up Dom says:

"Sean Bean, he is Sharpe."

azszhz
man i love this kind of stuff
roflmao rolling on floor laughing laughing

sauron
its good isnt it

died too soon

Kitoky
Boromir...love

Witch King love love

Glorfindel love love love love love

sauron
lol why is boromir losing

he is the bestest ever big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin boromir boromir oh he is so great and oh i want to meet him and shake his hand and get in his death boat with him and not make him dead and LIVE then get the ring go to gondor which i will then destroy and take the ring for my own

got carried away

sorry stick out tongue

Pipage558
i never really knew all of that! i have learned something new today!

Smodden
ha!peter's portrait!!!

lol laughing laughing laughing

sauron
i think its a lovely portrait

and it doesnt look like jack black at all stick out tongue

samIam
Those are brilliant sauron!!! I love the peter one .. and the mudslide one with orli and sean bean .. eversoo coooL!!

Discos
Boromir is probably my 2nd favourite character, I would prefer him to Faramir and also he was pretty much ruling a kick ass victory party at Osgiliath in the EE of TTT - ale!

Discos - too bad he was weak anough to be over-run by the power of the ring, but in the end he made his name worthy again by protecting the little ones very bravely.

Discos
ah - I never knew they didnt go to osgiliath. They did change a few things on the actual motion picture than the book wshich was sometimes a dissapointment.

sauron
lol i WISH they had left the book line

9 days...it seems almost a year since we were captured

how funny would that have been big grin

Bloom4ever
hey, i don think they had electricity in middle-earth but at the beginning of ttt (i wuz watchin EE last night), b4 Frodo and Sam meet Gollum, the first time Frodo takes a drink of water, there's somethin lookin like a plug tied round his water bottle. im not sure, i only glanced at it, i culd be wrong :/

Kitoky
Mmmmmm Boromir love

sauron
in fotr in bree strider has a lighter

Lady Ellie
really?!? I didn't notice that! ( GOTTA WATCH FOTR AGAIN!) ( HAHA)
I heard there is a car in FOTR. I still don't know if that's true.

Exa
When Sam is cooking the rabbits, Gollum says "spoils nice FISH..."

Phoenix
Wow, these are great!

Phoenix
Has anyone noticed that Sean Bean keeps getting type-cast as the quiet yet intense man who has some sort of mental breakdown somewhere near the beginning of the story?

He has a mental breakdown about halfway thru FOTR

He has another right at the beginning of Equilibrium

He is in Troy soon with Orlando Bloom - do you think he'll be Agamemnon? he had a mental breakdown...

Exa
He is Odysseus wink

and Orlando is Paris

Bloom4ever
the car in fotr, theysay they deleted it for the DVD

Lord_Andres
Exa about the fish thing, he says spoil nice fish because Sam talks about fish and chips

BingaBonga
I really wanted to see the car thing! Oh well... sad

Pipage558
well, in rotk the eagles are a certain species called golden eagles which is my high schools mascot! THAT IS SO COOL!

Kitoky
The picture with Sean being Odysseus is really freaky man...

Bar-en-Danwedh
the lighter at bree was just a rumor, as for the car PJ admitted to deleting it despite the fact that in the directors comantary he says people say there's a car but he can't see it.

if you want to see it get a bootleg DVD. (cinema handycam) and zoom in. it reflects the sun at the camera.

BingaBonga
I thought it was just the extended version that they deleted the car from... confused

Miss Marcie
I saw the car, Or something that look like a car... well
There is a part when you see a close up of Frodo's hands holding the ring and you can see his nails so there is another part where there is another closeup and the hands are different... I saw it in FOTR when Pippin,Merry, Sam and Frodo go behind a tree when a Ringwraith was following them.
Weird...

sauron
uk comedian johnny vegas originally auditioned for the part of sam

here is the man in all his blubber...i mean glory

http://www.ananova.com/images/web/39756.jpg

funniest man alive that man!!!

Smodden
Viggo broke his toe when he kicked the helmet (after thinking hobbits were dead) in the TT

Iirima
And that was a true scream of angiush!

SlipknoT
When gollum spits in ttt when sam is making stew that is actually andy serki's spit

Bloom4ever
really? bout the Viggo thing i mean? laughing out loud

sauron
the war chants for both helms deep and the pelennor fields were recorded at a cricket stadium where the words apeared on a scoreboard

SlipknoT
the marching of the easterlings was also recorded there

Iirima
Yeah, it is! He really broke his toe, and also, his tooth got broken...I think my a sword, and he wanted to glue it back on with superglue so hew could finish the scene, but he got dental help. wink

sauron
superglue big grinbig grin

erm....the running scenes in tt were filmed from a helicopter..and all the guys ran themselves even though aragorn had a broken toe...bloom ribs..and gimli was just sleeps and reacting to his make up stick out tongue

pinksuezo
no his tooth got broken when he was fighting lurtz at the end of lotr, and he got punched in the face. there was also a mistake where the blood somehow disappears/reappears, cus of the very real fact viggo did bleed from the blow.

Bloom4ever
laughing out loud

Chapel
Ian Holm who played Bilbo has been in a previous LOTR incarnation.
He Played Frodo in BBCs radio Play of the books, which is very good if a little expensive.

nazgulinthedark
29 ringwraith costumes were made for FOTR Extended, there were four or five hero characters, stunt doubles, riding doubles, burn doubles, then back up costumes.

angelsflame265
Sean steped on a piece of glass doing the scean where he runs in the river after frodo in fotr

sauron
LOL awww poor sean

angelsflame265
yea it almost went right threw his foot

samIam
merry had a " HUGE" splinter at buckleberryferry ( I love that part!!!)

Andy pulled sean's wig off and he was very mad

I think sean said 50 different days that thier feet were on and not shown .. evil!!

I LOVE THE PIC OF VIGGOS TOOTH!!! HAHAHA

Iirima
You saw a pic of it??! eek!

samIam
umm no just on the dvd

Iirima
Still...quite cool. big grin

sauron
yeah where he is smiling at the camera

Iirima
LOL!!

Camellia
Um, Dom's 'fake belly' thingy (you know what I mean) apparently stunk of dead fish at the end of a days shooting.........

...read that in an interview with him...weird

Astarael
In RotK, I believe (I saw in some interview) Liv Tyler was actually riding a barrel, instead of a horse....for some strange reason. O_o;

Iirima
Wow, that's *weird*...

SlipknoT
Lotr hold the world record for most prostetic feet in a movie

shadowy_blue
Here's a pic of Viggo with the broken tooth.

kalantiaw
sick he could've passed for the mouth of sauron laughing

shadowy_blue
LOL..

Christopher Lee (Saruman) knew J.R.R. Tolkien personally. He's read The Lord of the Rings trilogy every year since it was published. If I remember quite correctly, he also had a blessing from Tolkien to play Gandalf if ever a movie will be made.

feanor
um...the majority of the orcs at the Helms Deep scene were Maori warriors.

nazgulinthedark
omg! thats so funny! laughing im dieing!!! laughing laughing

sauron
S-B i heard he only met him once in a pub

oh many people say that in TTT when gandalf is shown from behind sand saying..."you are looking for two hobbits...they passed by here" (fangorn) that it was ians voice mixed with chris lees....actually mckellen did that all himself big grin

Bloom4ever
yeah ttt cast commentary big grin

Iirima
OMG. That is sooooooooo funny! Thx, shadowy_blue!

shadowy_blue
Oh ok thanks! big grin But the "blessing to be Gandalf" stuff, wasn't it in the FOTR commentary though? I believe PJ was the one who said that, I'm not sure, but really cool though. Meeting one if not the best author of all time personally. love big grin

Aurora
PJ and Fran Walsh's children are in all three movies....

Billy and Katie Jackson are credited as:
FOTR: Cute Hobbit Children
TTT: Cute Rohan Children
ROTK: Cute Gondor Children

And by the way they are adorable!!!

Camellia
The films hold the record for the films with the most movie mistakes...EVER!

(That's an official record too!)

Tired Hiker
Most of the Lord Of The Rings facts you read here come from the special features on the DVDs.

Camellia
Elijah Wood's sister, Hannah, has a cameo in the TTT:EE whilst int eh caves at HElms Deep.

Aurora
Stuart Townsend was origanally cast as Aragorn and actually filmed a few scenes, but was fired because:

*he was too young for the part

or

*creative differances in the film

You take your pick, if you ask PJ he says that it is the age thing, although it has been said that it was becuase him and PJ didn't get along.... interestin... love PJ love

Camellia
Frodo Baggins has the same initials as meeeee!

(Ok, not really a fact, but I'm bored and can't think of any more!)

sauron
TH mine are from my own knowlege

Camellia
Alright, alright, no need to get so smug!

sauron
lol big grin

it worked for angus deayton

LegolasLover411
*tisk* *tsik* you left me!

Discos
I read or heard somewhere that the orcs/urik-hai in the TT at Helms Deep were fisherman from New Zealand randomly asked to do it

Christopher Lee is the only cast/crew member ever to have met Tokien,

erm....

orlisgirl69
hehehe i got dis funni pic ill show ya

orlisgirl69
uve gotta read it its sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo funni

samIam
FUNNY!

Bar-en-Danwedh
"The volcanic lava of Mount Doom was actually made of the same sauce that's in fast food apple pies" -Sauron

yeah, and about as hot!!!! I always get burn't by those McDonalds "apple" pies.

also, i've been begging a friend of mine to forward this too me for a few months, so here it is (you've probably seen it)

Phoenix
Gollum as President wink

Leggy_n_Merry
OH MY GOD!!! That is soooooo funny look at his face! laughing hahahahahaha! And sauron I especially like the Pippin quote about 9 days and it feeling like a year, the Sam one in Osgiliath, the Peter and Fran portraits, the "Still Sharpe" one and the "noble" one, they're great!

Discos
ROFl jesus thats funny!

also that pic of Aragorn & Boromir aint that amusing

Leggy_n_Merry
Yeah the way it just says Boromir is clueless! LOL! and Aragorn's face laughing hahaha brillaint just brilliant!

Phoenix
Just cos I'm weird... wink

Phoenix

Phoenix
Feel free to post your own...

Phoenix
I'll fnd some more... I'm re-reading LotR veeeerrrry slowly....

sauron
big grin yeah i knew that

my mam was crying over the song, and i said 'dont worry its just about going to bed'

and everyone looked at me like i was insane

Phoenix
laughing out loud

Phoenix
And in the book, Pip actually makes fun of the song! big grin

pip-foot
lol. yea.I liked that song.

both of merry and pippins drinking songs are in the books too. I dont have mine with me, so i cant find it.

Kitoky
Um...A) Phoe, we've been told this a bout a gazillion times, and sauron's already made a thread for pointless facts. so wink Anyone think I should merge them?

pip-foot
yes. please merge them We dont need anymore thread than we aready have smile

Kitoky
Okay

samIam
eheh yeah!!

sauron
whoah first page big grin

must contest with phoe stick out tongue

samIam
that is sso cool

sometime a dream i go back in time and meet tolkien then i say ... tell pj to put me the movie

samIam
hahahah !

pip-foot
lol. thoes are really funny smile

shadowy_blue

shadowy_blue

angelsflame265
frodo almost dies a lot, he does it the most out of any of them

Isilcal
wow, i never knew any of these!

Thanks! laughing out loudsmile

Tassie~Cyanide~
bumping

Discos
stop bumping things if you arnt going to contribute to it

Arroch
~ better uncontributing bumping than a dying forum.
This bumping really livened KMC up for a while - loads of interesting topics back to the top threads.

Another random pointless fact - gandalf says that it takes three days to ride from Rohan to minas tirith, Theoden says the same about the distance from Dunharrow to Pelennor which is also true,
but if I remember correctly Aragorn it told in Dunharrow that it will take the ships another two days to reach the havens near Pelennor? Yet he shall stop them before they reach the city? Without horses?? Howz that supposed to work?

Tassie~Cyanide~
okay, fine then no expression

I had nothing to say at the moment, and with the forum dying I thought other people might want to contribute to our old, interesting threads, as such

Shadowy_Exa
Frodo holds the all time record for a movie character falling over.

smile

Shadowy_Exa
Discos leave tassie alone! stick out tongue

Tassie~Cyanide~
laughing out loud

---

Discos
eep, just noticed that sounded quite harsh.....should have put one of those cheeky "roll eyes (sarcastic)"

my bad, I'll be the bigger eagle and apologise

Discos - I always did like this topic smile

Ancalagon
-Dominic mahagan starred in... What.. was... it.... UMM

same synchro voice in german as LOTR shifty

Elessea
wow...interesting stuff dead...

laughing out loud Frodo does fall over all the time...the one time when the Eye finds him he looks like a chicken...just a random thing i noticed...

and the guy at the end next to teh 'watch the pumpkin' guy looks like deagol...

Discos
Dom starred in a tv series (which is on UK Gold sometimes), I watched 1 episode where he went under cover to a friends house(for the police) to catch out a drug dealer.

Ancalagon
hmm I cant really imagine him as policeman... oh well

Discos
he wasnt a policeman, he was young, very young in the programme......but he drove a car so 17 at least

his mother or some older person he knew was a policeman,

Ancalagon
ah ok, now i gotcha.

imagine Dom as policeman... laughing out loud

like... Liv Tyler as Orc or so

Discos
What the f**k? lol sure why not

tonight I will have a browse through the net to see some pointless facts, which I find quite interesting yes

Discos - but pointless smile

I am a Sock
orc#13754 had a blue shoe on. Yeah, that's pointless no2

muse5
harry potter... no way!!!! i have to watch it again...
right after the rohirrim arrive at helms deep and everyone is fighting in the quarry, you can see arwen in the background, she was originally supposed to be in those scenes but the were cut (thank god!!) looks like they forgot... kinda pointless, i haven't gone throught every single page of this thread so if that was said before... my bad

JKozzy
The main character's name is FRODO!!!!!

I am a Sock
Kozzy, what are u doing here, lol

nice pointless fact

Exabyte
eek! eek!
You serious? Whoa eek! Frodo? laughing weird name messed

Shadowy_Exa
Frodo? BULL

the main characters name is bingo

at least it was going to be smile

Bingo baggins blink

Ancalagon
You kidding me eek!

Ah well

A golden ring is an important part of Lord of the Rings! big grin

Discos
frodo you say, maybe it could be a household name in the mere future

Shadowy_Exa
john rhys davis plays two roles in the films

1- gimli, the dwarf
2- brego, aragorns horse

I am a Sock
laughing out loud

Elessea
laughing out loud I shall go looking for pointless facts, I havn't any now... no

Agent Elrond
Grond was chanted 36 times

angelsflame265
he's the voice of treebread 2

Inwë Nólatári
wow this stuff is awesome! i knew some of it but the rest is just fasinating, keep the facts coming!!!

loki9747
was anyone disappointed when they cut tom bombadail out?
i sure was.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.