Anti-Tarantino

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

sarahvma
This guy needs his head examined. He's a Tarantino fan who created a site devoted to Tarantino's blatant "plaigerism" and made two movies showing how Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction are rip-offs. I have one question: WHO THE HELL CARES? Honestly, if you're going to a) remake or b) pay hommage to another movie, what difference does it make? When has he ever denied doing this? Well, friends - at least this guy put some really great Dogs songs at the bottom of every page - and the opening page has 2 long Tarantino sound bites. So those are at least worth it.

Anti-Tarantino Page

Myth
Is that sound clip suppose to be anti-Tarantino? I loved it.

sarahvma
lol - the funny thing is, the guy who created the site loves Reservoir Dogs. To defend himself he basically said "I believe credit should be where credit is due, and Tarantino never credits the films he rips off" (that's not a direct quote)

sarahvma
Surf around to each part (conspiracy and so forth) and you'll find some really awesome Dogs songs.

WindDancer
I been to that guy website before. He is just paranoid in my opinion. He is not the first or last person to accused QT of plagerism. That guy should watch a QT movie without being so judgemental. Pity for him.

sarahvma
lol - I just don't get it. Everyone borrows and steals. The question is: is it good? I mean, how many original-story movies have you seen that have been crap?

iheartpott er
The people who don't like Tarantino are the people who like traditional, formulatic films that they don't have to worry about thinking and just need pure entertainment. Sad but true.

BadKitty
I visited that site...sad state of affairs if you ask me....why can't just enjoy the greatest films ever made rather than picking them apart...maybe he should watch the matrix a 1,000 times.

BackFire
Boring page.

sarahvma
What does this guy want - a personal apology for being "lied to"?

WindDancer
I guess he just want people to visit his site. He prolly likes visitors.

batmanrules
wait id like to know more about this dogs and pulp being ripoffs.

Cinemaddiction
Wrong. That's your "personal assessment"; (see blanketed statement)

There's a difference between "paying homage" and ripping movies off, basically giving no credit where it's due.

"Reservoir Dogs" is his version of Chow Yun Fat's "City on Fire"

"Pulp Fiction" isn't so much a blatant lift of anything, it's the actual "homage" of all his films;

"Natural Born Killers" is basically 1973's "Badlands"

"True Romance" same thing, it also rode in on the coattails of a smiliar film in 1992,"Kalifornia"

"Kill Bill" is basically "The Bride Wore Black" and "Enter the Dragon"

I'm aware that he's never denied that he's "borrowed" ideas for movies, but my disgust lies moreso in his fans, than himself. I know that he's very unoriginal, alot of his true fans won't admit it. Just because someone "borrows" from hundreds of movies to make his own movie, and uses the common thread of filthy dialogue and sexism, either positive or vile, doesn't make him at all original.

BackFire
I could really care less if his films rip off the premise of other films. Who cares? Every movie does that in some way or another. I find his films vastly entertaining and intriguing, that's all that matters to me.

Mr Zero
We all should. QT has 4 (or 5 depending on your POV) movies now, and each and every one of them is based on or around other films.

Dont get me wrong, i love going to see a new QT movie - I like the fact that he's bringing small audience geek fair to the large screen : I like the fact that he's dialog driven and despite the fact that it's the violence that gets the press his characters are all defined by what they have to say : he's undisputed master at what he does - BUT...

He's often hailed as an auteur, an original voice - and he's far from it: Scenes - some dialog - camera angles and motion - camera tricks - even his plots are lifted and tweaked from other sources:

He doesn't like to admit it and gets pissy when confronted by the overwhelming evidence - which is a shame because I think his steal and montage/collage approach is fantastic: Movie equivalent of sampling.

Trouble is that he should be paying royalties to the people who's work he's re-using.

roundisfunny
"Kill Bill" is like "Enter the Dragon" HOW, exactly? The version of "Enter the Dragon" I saw was about a group of fighters (Bruce Lee among them) invited to the island lair of an evil genius to do battle. That doesn't sound anything remotely like any element of "Kill Bill", except maybe "fighters" and "battle", in which case, I suppose, "Kill Bill" is also a rip-off of "Braveheart", "Star Trek: First Contact", "Birth of a Nation", "Scooby-Doo" and a few thousand others.

Mr Zero

Cinemaddiction
Aside from the yellow jumpsuit, the entire "Crazy 88" showdown was lifted directly from "Enter the Dragon", where Bruce Lee tripped the alarm when he goes to inspect the island, he was overwhelmed by henchmen.

Zero, the list does indeed go on. Ichi the Killer, Yojimbo, Charlies Angels, yadda yadda yadda.

WindDancer
Funny....but someone is confusing Enter the Dragon with The Game of Death (in that film Bruce wore the Yellow suit). QT did it as a homeage to Bruce. Jet Li did the same in Meltdown, similar yellow suit. The fight between The Bride and the Crazy 88 did not come from Enter the Dragon. The fight was inspired by Zatoichi The Blind Swordsman (1989). IMDB is a great movie site, but is also known to make mistakes so I don't believe everything I read from there.

Cinemaddiction
..which is why I referred to the yellow suit as an aside, citing only the fight scene as being derived from "Enter the Dragon". Sorry if I wasn't making myself clear, there.

As for the inspiration for the fight, I'm going on memory, albeit fuzzy. There's no true way of pinpointing any real origin for such a fight, I suppose. I've just begun my little foray into Martial Arts cinema, so excuse my being green.

(Hope you weren't implying that I am using IMDB for my basis?)

WindDancer
Not at all Cinemaddiction my post was not directed at you. But there are occasions some board members accept everything that IMDB says.

roundisfunny
I haven't seen backpedaling like that since the Linda Blair Cross-Country Unicycle Challenge. Nice save.

Cinemaddiction
The swill level in this thread is reaching critical mass.

roundisfunny
Or, you could just do this once in a while.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.