So, Just How Big Was Melkor in That Fingolfin Duel.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Sauron
How big was melkor
because the silmarillion contradicts itself many times.

Was he BIIIIIIG

http://ew2.lysator.liu.se/loth/a/l/alexanderjames/darkness_versus_light02.jpg

reasons for

it states he rose like a mountain.
he was said to gush forth blood that filled the pits of grond

grond would make some very deep pits, so if he filled them he is going to need ALOT of blood.

but, if that is true

how then, a few lines earlier, did he manage to stand on fingolfins neck, surely if he was giant placing your foot on a neck is no easy task, you would hit the chect, or head.

so....was he elf sized? or giant.

http://www.devir.com.br/senhor_aneis/pinturas/melkor3.pjpg.jpg

fini
welllllllllllllll he is a lesser god ( to best descibe him), so i am guessing that he could have taken any size. Me reading Silmarillion presently so by the end of the week i'll say more

Discos
ah good question/thread sauron

well.....I say he was huge, I take my reason from reading it. Tolkien perhaps stated the "neck" thing being a metaphor. Ya know cause even "us" mortals stick out tongue will stand on someones neck and some of our foot will be on their head....no embarrasment

anyways, I found a picture of the battle drawn by someone...its quite good

Smodden
Archeologists have found what appears to be remains of a very large human-like skelaton...It measures 11 feet 5 inch...tall.

It was found on the outskirts of Austria, near some remains of what used to be a Dark valley. It was very dark in those days. so the valley several 1000 years ago would have been inky black all the time...
no others were found near the skeletal giant...but they did find a Large Chain tied around his neck. The chain remarkably is still intact with almost no damage at all! It is a marvel that a chain this old is not completely disinegrated. The chain was obviously made with great skill, perhaps by a higher beeing...shifty

Scientist dought that this giant is in fact 'Morgoth' from the days of old. But Tolkien Purists around the globe believe...that this was the dark lord from many ages ago.

Further testing will begin in september.

So sauron morgoth is about 11 feet tall...its been proven...kinda...

Discos
What the f**k?

Discos - go to sleep roll eyes (sarcastic)

Smodden
sleep? HA!

Discos
someone doesnt know their basic Vb's roll eyes (sarcastic)

Sauron
sombody doesnt know how to stay on topic stick out tongue

yeah he could change his size yes

but, he is stood on sombodys neck, cant be on their shoulders or anything as fingolfinstill has mobility of his arm
and 'cries' out, which would be muffled by a huge dark lord slipper dont ya think

Thorondor
well maybe he is HUGE then shrinks when he pins him down

Agent Elrond
maybe he's got tiny feet.

I think the 2nd pic in Sauron's first part is most accurate. He's big, not still small enough to step on Fingolfin's neck

Thorondor
well you know what they say about a Vala with small feet laughing

Sauron
that foot wouldnt fit on that neck
it would take the head with it

Thorondor
well then obviously he wasn't that big

Sauron
i rest my case

Thorondor
though if it were the HUGE one it could of been the tip of his foot cause that would fit stick out tongue

Discos
roll eyes (sarcastic)

Discos
also I believe this would be Morgoth with Hurin

hollowknowledge
Being a Vala of the highest order, Melkor could change his size at will. They had no physical shape in the sense of the word, only what they deemed to fit their need. About the only thing Tolkien mentioned was their propensity to take the male or the female aspect of their nature. It would have been pointless for Melkor to fight Fingolfin if he were the size of a mountain. The advantage would have been on the elf's side. It's like trying to swat a fly that moves about, it's only when they stop can you get a fly, but then Fingolfin is no fly.

Thorondor
and here's me thinking he stayed in the form of a dark lord.

Discos
^^laughing out loud

but the dude above is right, he is after all a Vala and Fingolfin was very much out-matched.

if he was the size of a mountain it would be fingolfins advantage....blink - sure why not?

Melkor was a bit clumbsy it seems and Fingolfin simply had enough of his sh*t.....

anyways back to his size, Melkor was a big bastard non the less

Thorondor
blah

Discos
offtopic

hollowknowledge
I never said he wasn't, but to be as tall as a mountain would have been pointless. In all likelyhood, Melkor would've probably been twice as tall in order to instill fear and awe. Imagine if you were in a deathmatch with the biggest and toughest guy, how would that make you feel?

Thorondor
like hes a fat bastard and i can move faster so i just stab at his feet seeing as i can't reach his face.

Discos
I am not disagreeing with you, I didnt mention anything.

I was swaying a little offtopic and redeemed myself by simply stating he was big smile

hollowknowledge
I don't understand you.

Thorondor
because you have no sense of humour lol

Discos
Thor the joker

Discos - stop stealing my title,

Thorondor
Sauron was really Tom Bombadil you all know i'm right that's why he didn't go invisable stick out tongue

hollowknowledge
It is said that when one lacks knowledge, common sense or even an ounce of wit it is replaced with a veil of humor. But then I digress, at having gone offtopic.

Thorondor
YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
NNNNNNNNN

hollowknowledge
Na lerya

Smodden
Miblo eck Orch!

hollowknowledge

Smodden

Discos
offtopic

Discos - no

Smodden
sory mah man...*fea*

I got a little caried away with my elvish insults..stick out tongue

Fëanor
???

Discos
am also confused,

but we all know Melkor was very very much huge compared to an elf

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.