What Is The Meaning Of Life?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Syren
This, in a sense, summarizes all other questions asked. It is usually understood as: "What are the highest values, the Supreme Goals which I should try to achieve?". We stress that every human being must freely set those goals for himself or herself. The Supreme Goal which we choose derives logically from our cybernetic world view: to make a constructive contribution to the evolution of humanity, in order to maximize our long-term chances of survival (immortality). In essence, the 'meaning of life' is to increase evolutionary fitness. Do you agree?

lil bitchiness
We live to die, so that others may live and die and others after them do the same.

Syren
The Circle Of Life Lils?

Yeah, I agree with that. It fits in with evolution. But surely it's a little morbid to say the only reason we are here is to die? What about Procreation? Reproduction? And do you believe in reincarnation?

Dexx
no.
if you simply the matter to the extremes, just look at what DNA is. it is a progra meant only to preserve itself. perhaps that is the true, however simple, meaning of life. evolution is only due to it's adaptive capability.

Maybe when i'm older and more experience...this big lightbulb will turn on in my head, lightening the meaning of life for me. But until then..perhaps..there is not meaning of life.

lil bitchiness
I believe in reincarnation indeed. But not everyone does, and i cant prove if its true or not, so im looking at the meaning of life from a rational point of view.

We live and we die so that others may live. Its just the way it is. Evolution hasnt got a goal or a purpose, it just happens and we are a product of it. (simplisticly speaking)

Linkalicious
The meaning of life is to have a good time.

Because what's the point of living....if it isn't fun?

Syren
OK, first of all I didn't ask for a simplification of anything, I just wanted to know your theory on the meaning of life. If you don't have one, that's perfectly acceptable, many people prefer not to dwell on such topics. I, on the other hand, enjoy thinking about this sort of thing. Would you mind explaining in more detail about the DNA idea? I'm not quite following......

Evolution is not due to it's adaptive capability, how can that be correct? The adaptive capabilities are a part of evolution, the ever changing world. The reason we adapt to our surroundings is because we are continually evolving with the world around us, with our habitat, and the way we live. Not the other way around.

So you are saying that just because you cannot comprehend a meaning of life, maybe because you are too young, then there cannot be one?? Or have I read your last comment wrong? Please correct me if I'm out of line big grin

Syren
Simple yet quite poignant.

I've heard many people say that for them, the meaning of life is to live it. A lot of us spend so much time wondering what will happen when life is over, that we miss the part where we are actually here.

Storm
I think that each person creates meaning that is specific to their own life. Someone may find meaning in helping to end poverty while another finds their meaning in the development of their mind. Both of these pursuits would be considered very noble but neither answer the underlying desire for ultimate meaning or purpose beyond this life. Whatever meaning a person created would be limited to the few short years of their life.

Syren
I agree.

Each individual may find meaning, or satisfaction, in helping another.

Each does it in a different way, therefore finding their own specific meaning therein.

But does every person have this underlying desire for ultimate answers? I'm not so sure.....

lil bitchiness
I think Syren ment collectivly, what is the meaning of life as humans what is the meaning of our existance...as far as i understand.

cLoVi€
life is life.
you live - you die.

nothing to wonder about.

Gregory
No. If it was, the logical thing to do would be to go around sterilizing unfit people before they can breed. Fun, yes, but I wouldn't expect that to be the purpose of life.

Dexx
that was my theory on the meaning of life. The basis of it..is..survival. DNA, your code, the way you work, the way you exist..rules that you have to survive. that was the simplified idea.

well..here..i strongly disagree. It is BECAUSE we can adapt, that we evolve. that's what evolving is..adaptation. in fact...if we look at it, we can look at the two words as synonims and get over the disagreement.

there is not a meaning of life for ME. i don't think there's a general meaning of life valid for every single being. everyone percieves it in his own way. When i'll find one...i'll know. maybe i already did...but it's hard to express it in words.

Syren
I didn't think of it that way, but now you mention it I'm in severe danger of sounding like a certain Mr Hitler! Apologies.......

(In reply to Gregory's)

lil bitchiness
Sometimes it is hard for people to accept the fact that we are dying...we are dying right now. And we were doing so from the moment we were born.

And we are all gonna die at one point, it is inevitable. This life we are leading is not a destination, its a journey, i know thats a cliche but its very true...its what we do in that time to make our existance more comftable.
There is no great meaning,

''you are not a unique and beautiful snowflake, you are the same decaying organic matter just like everything else'' - Chuck Palahnuik

And thats true...we want to believe that there is great and awesome meaning to our life.... there is a meaning just not so great and awsome, we live so that human race will live, we live so that others may life and die and so on. That is our existance.

You personaly, can devote your life to something or another and claim that your purpose in life is helping others for example...that may be inner self meaning of you, but the bottom line is, your life's meaning is just like everyone else's.

Dexx
np....no offense taken...we're debating here smile

Syren
Excellent, Lils, that was very detailed.....

I agree with the fact that people worry to much, continually thinking that there must be some higher meaning to life, but I don't think it's as simple as living to die.

I truly believe that we are here for procreation, to carry on the blood line, of course it's inevitable that we're going to die, but it's also inevitable that we will live first. People seem to miss that point....

Storm
What do we mean by meaning? Are we talking about purpose or significance, about causes for why we are here, about importance or something else? And what do we mean by life?
Is the question in some way a religious or spiritual question? Do we have to drag God into it? Are we to take the question as a personal or as a cosmic question? That is, is it the meaning of my life, our lives or is it the meaning of human life or the meaning of existence in general?

lil bitchiness
Thats why this is a philosophical quesion Storm. There are no direct philosophical questions.

I dont think there is a need to drag God into this, as none of us have at all so far...if you believe it is sagnificant to drg him in, then do it your side of things.

You cant simplify a philosophical questions into one direct one. Meaning of life, thats why its a question, and everyone is exploring the answer and its possibilitis.

Syren
Carry on ladies, bring God into it or don't, I'm interested in your personal points of view. I'll see you all later hug

Gregory
I do not think that life has any defined "meaning." We can make of our lives what we will, and give them whatever meanings we choose--we are not bound by some intangiable, predefined "meaning."

Syren
That leads nicely into free will, and the belief in fate.

I, personally, do not believe that my life, or anyone elses, is already planned out. I am an Atheist, and a Humanist, I believe that my life will become what I make of it. Obviously other people and everyday occurences are great factors, but in the end it will boil down to me. My decisions and how I want my life to end up.

lil bitchiness
Well, thinking philosophicly, destiny contradicts the idea of religion and God. yes

WindDancer
For me the meaning of life is to learn, educate, and teach each other. Death is a factor, but that doesn't mean a person should just give up, and accept the end. Life goes on, our meaning is to ensure that the chain of humanity continues. Love is also a great factor in life. We should not only love our family but also express that love to others. People depend on others for help. That's were we should come in, and help them. To be human doesn't mean eat, sleep, sex, build a family. It also means to help others.

At the same time our meaning is to preserve our world. So that future generations get to experience what we have experience. What kind of experiences? How about love? or care for others.

Ushgarak
Actually, no, I disagree. Storm is right- this question is muddled. Some peope are reading it as purpose of life, and some people are reading it as the mystery behind life.

Philosophical vagueness or otherwise- people are just going to be answering different questions here because 'Meaning of Life' is too vague.

BackFire
I meaning of life is to simply do what you can to enjoy the time you're given.

lil bitchiness
Thats the point Ush. The question isnt ''muddled'' its been asked like that for a very long time. Its what you make of it that counts.

Storm asked what Syren did, in serious of smaller questions.

Peloquin
Well, for the meaning of life, I would say it's a reflection issue. An awareness of self is reflected back at the awareness until they come to 'full' awareness of self. Once that happens there's no need to be looking at the reflection anymore. The world reflects who and what we are back at us. As for "what are the supreme goals"...freedom of the expression of self. So that you may get a clear reflection and know the self. I believe the physical world is the reflection, the true self exists beyond it.

shaber
My genuine opinions would simply be edited out so I'll agree with what any moderators have posted on this thread.

Peloquin
Aww C'mon don't be like that. Out with it...

Reborn Again
I believe What is the Meaning of Life is a question best summed up in 5 words: What is it to you? Does there have to be one all emcompassing answer to the old age question?

Syren
OK, you've got a point, but I don't think I specifically requested one 'all encompassing' answer. I simply wanted to know people's opinions, their conception of life in general; why they believe we are here. If you can't answer that with anything other than 'Mind your own business' then you really shouldn't have bothered posting. But cheers.......

Reborn Again
I didn't mean it like that, Syren. I was merely stating my philosophy on the issue. Basically, a person's point of view on the Meaning of Life changes throughout their life time. Presently, the meaning of life for me is or was my dog, Dakota. Her death hit me hard and I feel lost without her. She was my meaning to life.

The Omega

Syren
Agreed. I often use that particular reason; procreation. But I believe it extends into another purpose. Not only to procreate, but to make the lives of our children a little better than ours. Every generation should live a 'better' life. I don't think that's been the way of things, not continuously, but IMO it should be.

Reborn; I'm sorry, I took your post the wrong way, and I'm sorry to hear about your dog. But surely she could not have been your sole reason for existence? I understand that she perhaps lit up your life, but not made it completely worthwhile. That's just, well, really sad sad

Alpha Centauri
"Every generation should live a 'better' life. I don't think that's been the way of things, not continuously, but IMO it should be."

I have been saying this for a while.

If I ever had a kid (which I don't plan to) I would make sure that I gave it all the knowledge and life lessons I had learned. Not to force them to live that way, but so they don't have to go through some of the BS I have had to go through to learn those things. Hopefully with the achieved result that when they reach certain similar or identical dilemmas they'll have another perspective and way of dealing with it, at their disposal. The meaning of life would be, if universal, to live how you feel you should regardless of what that means and pass on knowledge. Always.

That to me is the most important. How can we ever hope to better our world when we don't start with the ones who are gonna be here after us? I don't worship kids, I think they suck. But if you're gonna fill the world with them then make sure they don't grow up to be complete cabbages.

-AC

Lady_Eowyn3
i think life is kind of like a test, you live it how you see fit but for the eternity, you live life how u wish, but it's all to see how you will spend eternity

ragesRemorse
what do you mean when you say life? life as general existence? Life in the form of the collective conscious, there are many levels, perspective's, and forms of life.this is talking human or not. I would say concluding one simple reason(meaning) for life is a naive way of thinking. What ever happen to living life to it's fullest, giving back, striving to be the very BEST that you can be, and never stop learning.

I mean what if we are here for no particular reason, except to experience life. Maybe whatever put us here God,nature, a man in a clown suit, just put us here because they could, because they had the ability. Or maybe it is the will of nature, or maybe some man in with a red nose and clown shoes wanted to be entertained. Who knows,who cares, were here, if you keep asking this question you will be dead when you find the answer, but then again maybe your purpose is to question, to always strive and never be satisfied, anyhting is possible

Syren
AC - "That to me is the most important. How can we ever hope to better our world when we don't start with the ones who are gonna be here after us? I don't worship kids, I think they suck. But if you're gonna fill the world with them then make sure they don't grow up to be complete cabbages."

clap

Brilliant, absolutely classic. The entire content in that statement made me grin from ear to ear. You are right, of course. If we are to 'better our world' the logical place to begin would be with the brats. "Complete cabbages"!! Oh dear laughing

Lady E - That's right when you look at it from a religious perspective, with regard to where you'll end up once you die. Live life in order to get where you want to be when it ends.

Rages Remorse - I've already said that I'm not looking for one all encompassing answer, I don't even think I asked an all encompassing question. I'm hazarding a guess, but I doubt you've read the whole thread. I simply wanted to know a few different perpectives, so I suggest you answer the elements of the question that catch your attention. Everyone will see the question differently, and will answer it differently. Therefore allowing me the varied perspectives I was looking for when I made this thread.

~Angel~
I agree completley with WindDancer!!!

If our purpose was to merely eat, sleep, reproduce, and die, we would not have been given a consciousness. We have intelligence, and creativity.

I believe the purpose of life is to love. That's it, plain and simple.

Arachnoidfreak
The meaning of life is to live. No more complicated than that.

"Conciousness" and self-realization comes with intelligence. If monkeys were as intelligent as we are, they'd create religion and ponder these questions too. But they aren't.

Moo Cow
live, love, and be happy

angelsflame265
Living life as best you can

Syren
Living life. Period?

I don't know if that's perhaps too simple, but why decorate it? We're all doing the same thing, albeit in various ways. Live life.

wuteva
Give me a reason why you wake up every morning. What do you think is your purpose in being alive?
We have created a world, where we all work our a$$es off in order to finnish school, so we can get a good job to earn a thing called money, which is in fact, the main source of evil and hatred among humans. Then you eventually get married, have kids, medicine is improved, and the population increases each year. People are blinded by movies, games, music, etc.
I feel we are so unconscious sometimes, and the general idea of life is far from reality. Does getting a bad grade, or becoming a sinner really matter?
Do you think life was just an accident, or it has a purpose?

Arachnoidfreak
Most people don't realize that the purpose to life is more simple(simple...r?) than anyone cares to belive. The purpose to life is to LIVE. That's it, plain and simple.

Paxelius
wuteva: you raise difficult and important questions here... although I see the subtle truth in Arachnoidfreaks answer I still think it's more complicated than that. I'll settle for just answering a few of your questions --

My purpose in life is to learn and love. It's hard sometimes...
It was no accident, I don't belive in mistakes - I think Shakespear said some truth in: The world is a stage and we the actors. I think this show is all according to some kosmic manuscript in which we all partake and intertwine to such a degree it gets confusing to see the whole picture. Is it worth it ? Yes, what else do you have. It's here , now , and it's magic.

Arachnoidfreak
No, it isn't more complicated than that, because "living" encompasses all that you do while you are alive. Learning, loving, teaching, making mistakes, it's all part of life and living. Humans have a knack for making things more complicated than they really are.

Paxelius
Arachnoidfreak: True, that we make things more complicated than they are. But since 'living' as you say encompasses everything we do - then we should take aim to seek the best way of living and there is no simple way to find this answer. Some seek a higher purpose in the midst of the mundane everyday life and it's both simple and hard at the same time. Life evolves as you live it.

bardock
breakfast j/k

manchichirtchit
i just wanna find my wife to be.

Arachnoidfreak
True dat. As you search for the simple answer you must sort through the complicated sometimes. Life certainly does evolve as you live it, but does that neccessarily mean that you have to make it more complicated? Something can change and stay simple at the same time.

Fiery Eyes
Why do I wake up in the morning, cuz God gave me the air in my lungs, I give him Thanks and praise for that, He is my purpose in life. To serve him and spread the gospel of Jesus Christ. He is the reason for Life to me. smile smile

nemo
then what happened after you have turn every human being into christian?
there would be no more purpose to ur life?

Arachnoidfreak
Well, she wouldn't turn EVERY human. Someone would have to shoot me in the face before I convert back to religion.

Fiery Eyes
Did you read the 1st part of my post?

BackFire
To play video games and have sex.

Arachnoidfreak
I like that answer. I think I'll make it my new mantra...

Darth Revan
laughing out loud

I really don't know about this whole "purpose" thing, I have things I want to do with my life, but I don't see them as my "purpose". I don't believe humans have "purpose," humans just... are.

H.M.Servant
I don't think there is a higher purpose or cosmic (comic?) manuscript .
I don't think there is a universal truth or awnser to the meaning of life.
I think each person has to find that 'meaning' for himself or in other words, give your own life purpose. you have to decide what is good (or bad?) for yourself. wether that is love, money, religion or in fact sex and videogames.

Clovie
there is no purpose in living.

H.M.Servant
If you say there is no purpose, you can also say there is purpose, it is just as unfound. If its lost on you it doesn't mean it isn't there. that's the whole thing. You can only that there is purpose if you know what it is.

Clovie
i meant.
life is purpose in itself.
so when the purpose in life is living then it has no other purpose.

blink ok. i'll stop it.

H.M.Servant
oh ok I misunderstood. that is a very keen observation

Paxelius
Rotfl! you're very funny Clovie
from 'no purpose' to 'no purpose other than living life itself'

It's really a profound answer smile

Clovie
thanks for understanding i s'posse messed

Paxelius
big grin

finti
QUOTE]What Is The Meaning Of Life? its a movie by Monty Python big grin eek! rolling on floor laughing

Clovie
i totally DON'T get monty python messed cry

Syren
Clovie, you never cease to amaze me suga blink

Finti, thanks for lightening the atmosphere, I think this thread's all done yes

Clovie
confused what do you mean?

SaTsuJiN
I think the meaning is to become an understandable human being.. empathetic, sympathetic... if you can enjoy your life while making someone elses life better with your presence... I think you are fulfilling your 'meaning'. Things like comforting someone during a funeral, or cheering for them during a competition or perhaps just hearing them out when they are stressed out.. I dont think purpose has to be much more complex than that. We are social creatures afterall

Kella
The meaning of life is to achieve perfection by the trials and tribulations we encounter here on the earth. We must understand human kind to rise above it. We must learn to love above hate and forgive those that have hurt us. The meaning of life is to grow into god-like beings of our own. To do so we must be human first. big grin

Paxelius
I suggest you look up the interesting answer to this question by Douglas Adams in his book(s): Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

Kella
I've read over that before... Don't remember it though. What is the theory on that one?
blink

Paxelius
The full story is in the book, I can't give no short answers on that one.

Samurai Guy
There is no universal meaning of life.

The question you must ask yourself if what is the meaning of YOUR life.

Paxelius
Well, that's a bold statement.

Samurai Guy
And I believe it. Would you disagree? If so, why?

Paxelius
Because there is a universal meaning with life, I just know it - can't explain.

Samurai Guy
That is your belief and you are free to have it. Perhaps there is a universal reason we were put here, but not a universal meaning for every life on earth.

Much like all religious peoples belief; it varies from person to person.

Paxelius
Ah, you talk about the subjective universal meaning wink

Samurai Guy
Universal as in collective, generalized.

The meaning of life for everyone on the planet cannot be collective. It is different for all.

Turbo-Cajun
get drunk, get blowed, spit shits, spark blunts, **** hoes.... - Tech N9ne

Paxelius
these are the effects of normal western lifestyle, nothing to do with meaning.

Linkalicious
Sex, Drugs, Rock-N-Roll

Storm
I still support what I said on the first page of this thread.

I think that each person creates meaning that is specific to their own life. Someone may find meaning in helping to end poverty while another finds their meaning in the development of their mind. Both of these pursuits would be considered very noble but neither answer the underlying desire for ultimate meaning or purpose beyond this life. Whatever meaning a person created would be limited to the few short years of their life.

HiddenPotential
I believe that at the core, we are all looking for the exact same thing or things in life. Things that all of us are missing. Everyone loves to be unique and special, but in reality we are all exactly the same.

We look for eternity-
eternal happiness, that can never be fufilled in this world, so in essence most of us are frantically searching in vain.

lucija
death

HiddenPotential
Love

Chris87
I believe you all just need to except the inevitable. That we will all die one day as our fathers and grandfathers before us did and take the good with the bad, learn as much you can for the soul is eternal and will return in time. For energy can not be destroyed and thats what the soul is!!!

finti
who said life has to have a meaning, this has become like this because humans overestimate their importance in kosmos

Chris87
I don't know much about kosmos maybe you can enlighten me.

finti
it was meant to be cosmos but then the game(football/soccer champions league)started again and one cant edit after 15 minutes.

ska57
The purpose of life is to worship God.

Lord Soth
The meaning of life is to find who you truly are.

ska> puhleeeeeease

finti
laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud so why the hell are we put on this earth then? what a waste of time the rest of our time is then

ska57
God originally made us to commune with Him personally and worship Him in perfect "lolly-pops and rainbows" world, then we sinned, so now our purpose is to worship God and to bring others to Him so that they will be saved from hell.

Chris87
Maybe it is to gain as much wisdom as we can. 1) as we get older we gain wisdom through experience. 2) even back in the caveman days what were they doing but writing on walls trying to gain wisdom. 3) The more we learn the wisdom we get.

finti
What a great plan laughing out loud laughing out loud
Maybe we should change the name from god to idiot

finti
ehhh actually they spent their day trying to provide for the tribe/clan. The cave paintings was to their way to tell a story, very much like painters do today....the sane painters that is

ash007
Ok the meaning of live is ..............................................42 smile

at least according to Douglas Adams' The Hitchhiker's Guide to the
Galaxy.

http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci211501,00.html

smile

ska57
WE should be given the title of idiot because we sinned. Calling God an idiot is very idiotic.

Turbo-Cajun
Is he going to hit me with a bolt of lighting if i do it?

yawn "IDIOT!!! YOU ****ED UP.....WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?"

<<Solo>>
It's a cycle.
Everyone has one logical reason to live.
To Spread Life, and so on. And maybe do something beautiful in the process.

finti
I see it as idiocy to believe in a god and this jesus

HiddenPotential
Ive done the exact same things, thank God for his mercy.

finti
yeah keep on talking to the air

Chris87
Hey finti how did the world begin then.

finti
I think it startet with the big bang and it developed from that

Chris87
But must there not be an action to create a reaction.

finti
maybe, who knows

Chris87
cool

Arachnoidfreak
What answers on the Big Bang? Go to the Evolution thread.

ANYONE who wants some scientific answers, take it to the Evolution thread on the General Discussion page.

Science by request, that's our motto.

ska57
Probably not, He desires you to be saved and not to go to hell and not just kill you when you sin. If He did strike us with lightning when we say wrong things, all of us would be dead.

ska57
Believing that something blew up "billions" of years ago and then ending up to where we are now is idiocy to me.

finti
at least we dont bug people to join our way of believes

WhiteEagle
I don't see how you can say you've accepted your own mortality whilst at the same time believing that you have an immortal soul. Death kinda loses its finality if you believe you'll never really die, sounds like you might have your wires crossed. Or do you? Please explain.

finti
its confusing to be a christian

WhiteEagle
Kheh, seems that way. laughing

ska57
We all die physically, our souls live on. God judges us after we die physically and we either go to heaven or suffer what the Bible calls the second death in hell.

Lord Soth
This coming from a God who supposedly loves us all.....if that's true, why is there even a hell?

Nazgulinthedark
not sure if ive posted in this thread yet...but anyway, the meaning of life is to live, love, and laugh. smile the end

ska57
God made hell for Satan and his angels, He didn't create man and then right after that created hell for us. God does love us all, that's why He gives us all a chance to become saved, that's why He sent Jesus to die for us. God is love, but He is also a just God.

ska57
Wait, you're an athiest right? Then, to you guys life has no purpose or meaning, so why are you even bringing this up? A logical answer from an athiest would be to sit around and wait to become evolved.

Lord Soth
She's a Roman Catholic you ass

ska57
Then why didn't she say the purpose of life is to worship God? (sorry by the way)

WhiteEagle
Yes well you may believe that, which is fine. But regardless of a persons religion I think it is stupid (for lack of a better word) to say you've accepted the fact you will die and at the same time believe you have an eternal soul.

And by the way man, where did you pull that "the purpose of an atheists life is to sit around and wait to become evolved"? laughing It may come as a shock to some but you can lead a happy and fruitful life without believing in an omnipotent being.

Ronny
live, get laid, die

its what the aliens want us to do happy

finti
life has just as much purpose for atheist as it has for christians. Dont overexaggerate the importance of christians. It is so typical chrisitan to be plain arrogant towards other way of seeing things.

So riddle me this ska57 if the meaning of life for a christian is to worship god so your so called soul can go to the place in the sky you call heaven, why dont you all just pray for some hours and roll over and die. We talked about slavery earlier on, well aint it slavery to to have struggle to life worshiping this god to get entrance to heaven.
The perfect thing would be to die right after you learn and accepted the way of jesus all the rest would be a waste of time, unless your god is so conceited he thrives on people worshiping and slave for him/her/it. If thats the case the idea behind your god is just nothing but that an a**hole god

Anth
I've written a book on the meaning of life. Its all blank pages.

Syren
What the Fudge are you rambling on about now you weirdo?? OK, so that's a little low even for me, but come on, you've rammed your views down people's throats for the last three pages or so, MY Turn methinks.

First of all, I am an atheist. This does not constitute as me having to sit on my @ss all day long doing sweet FA. Stupid. Sit around and wait to become evolved?? I am evolved honey, further than you're ever going to get with your age old faith and ridiculous preachings. How can you possibly believe so strongly in something written and re written by people you've never met? The Bible; A slapdash scrapbook of opinions, sans facts, of the way the world should be. But isn't. If you want your views appreciated I suggest you offer them for analysis, don't be so sure as to shove them in our faces and expect them to be digested. Not gonna happen around here my friend.

For the record, I apologise for insult caused, I do not mean to sound as if I am trying to degrade anyone for their views, but I believe Ska to be rude and obnoxious. Mr Almighty Himself must be shaking his head at Ska's attitude right now.

ska57
"I think it is stupid (for lack of a better word) to say you've accepted the fact you will die and at the same time believe you have an eternal soul."
Our bodies are just shells that we live in, the shell dies, but our soul is still there. God then judges us.

"And by the way man, where did you pull that 'the purpose of an atheists life is to sit around and wait to become evolved'? laughing It may come as a shock to some but you can lead a happy and fruitful life without believing in an omnipotent being."
Everyone can live a happy life but no one can truly live a fruitful life if they think they live with no purpose.

ska57
"why dont you all just pray for some hours and roll over and die."
Because God wants us to go out into the world and share the Gospel to the lost so that they might become saved from hell and spend eternity with God.

"We talked about slavery earlier on, well aint it slavery to to have struggle to life worshiping this god to get entrance to heaven."
Being a Christain is to be saved from the bondage of sin. I don't call worshiping being a slave, I do it because I love my Lord and Savior.

"The perfect thing would be to die right after you learn and accepted the way of jesus all the rest would be a waste of time..."
A Christain's life would be a waste if we didn't share God's Word with the world.

"...unless your god is so conceited he thrives on people worshiping and slave for him/her/it."
God loves us, and He desire men everywhere to be saved. He doesn't desire to put anyone into hell, the choice is ours.

ska57
sad I'll be praying for you.

finti
I can

ever occured to you that the world might not be interested

Well theres no party in heaven so hell would be the place to be cool

who wants to spend eternity with a failure of an omnipotent being, and people stray away from the gospel cause they found it to be plain BS. So the last thing they want is to listen to some goody two shoes continuing preaching those ridicoluse tales of the bible

ska57
"but come on, you've rammed your views down people's throats for the last three pages or so..."
When have I ever done that? All I've done was answer questions you ask me and share Christain beliefs.

"First of all, I am an atheist. This does not constitute as me having to sit on my @ss all day long doing sweet FA."
I don't mean sitting around litteraly, I mean just living meaningless lives just to become evolved...kinda sounds sad.

"I am evolved honey, further than you're ever going to get with your age old faith and ridiculous preachings."
Sorry but, you are proving those 'ridiculous preachings' by saying just that.

"How can you possibly believe so strongly in something written and re written by people you've never met? The Bible; A slapdash scrapbook of opinions, sans facts, of the way the world should be."
Syren, how can you believe so strongly about a science book written and re written by people you've never met? Science books; a slapdash scrapbook of opinions, sans facts, of the way the world supposidly is. I believe in the Bible because it's the only way to explain how the universe was created, because I've seen Biblical prophecy fulfilled, and I have felt completed and no more longing or emptiness when I discovered Christ.

finti
yeah to the narrow minded

oh please enlighten us on the prophecy fulfiled

ska57
"I can"
You think so? Can you bring earthly possessions with you after you die? No. The only way you can be fruitful in life is that if you share Christ to others and become saved.

"ever occured to you that the world might not be interested"
Yes. But I also do not want to see you or anyone else go to hell so I will keep on trying.

"Well theres no party in heaven so hell would be the place to be cool"
Hell is a place of eternal punishment and torture, heaven is eternal paradise, all eternity is probably a party in heaven. I know you only said that just to make fun of the Bible. I read a post by you in the "Why Are You An Atheist" thread and you said something like 'don't post if you do not know what you are talking about', next time you want to make a comment on hell, please know about it.

"who wants to spend eternity with a failure of an omnipotent being, and people stray away from the gospel cause they found it to be plain BS. So the last thing they want is to listen to some goody two shoes continuing preaching those ridicoluse tales of the bible"
God has not failed, He conquered over Satan when Jesus died on the cross and He has reached through to the world through other people. It is not God that failed, it is us. The reason why people stray from the Gospel is because Satan is decieving you into not believing it, I know the last thing you WANT is to listen to that Bible and us Christains, but it is what you NEED to hear.

finti
who cares of earthly possessions, when you die you die nothing more.

laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud yeah right

it aint up to you where I wanna be and you know about it how? ever been there, or met anyone who has. Hell is a myth nothing more to know about it

well if he conquered over Satan why worry about hell at all,

Nah I made that desicion all by myself,

this is what you christian fail to understand. I DONT NEED TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR FAIRY TALE BIBLE AT ALL. I`ve had it in school for 9 years and it is just another book too me, nothing more. If I needed to hear about it I would have continued to fool myself reading and listening to preaching BS artists.

As I said before christians overestimate the importance of the bible, it might be holy to you all, but to me it is a book full of crap

ska57
Glad to. First, the formation of the country of Israel was prophesised. Nehemiah 1:8-9 (God talking to Nehemiah) "If you are unfaithful (talking about the Jews), I will scatter you among the nations, but if you return to Me and obey My commands, then even if your exiled people are at the farthest horizon, I will gather them from there and bring them to the place I have chosen as a dwelling for My Name." Sure enough the Jews came from across the nations of the earth and formed Israel in the 1940's.

It also says throughout the Bible that the earth would experience great birth pains near the end times (the time when Jesus will come again). Have you noticed that in the past 100 years or so earthquakes are happening for frequently then ever before in history? Did you know that there are more wars going on now then ever before in history too? Matthew 24:6a "You will hear of wars and rumors of wars" Matthew 24:7-8 "Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. All these are the beginning of birth pains."

The Bible also talks about many false teachers and teachings in the end times. Matthew 24:10-11 "At that time many will turn away from the faith and will betray and hate eachother, and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people."

II Peter 2:1-3 "But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them-bringing swift destruction on themselves. Many will follow their shameful ways and will bring the way of truth to disrepute. In their greed these teachers will exploit you with stories they have made up. Their condemnation has long been hanging over them, and their destruction has not been sleeping."

II Peter 2:10b-12 "Bold and arrogant, these men are not afraid to slander celestial beings; yet even the angels, although they are stronger and more powerful, do not bring slanderous accusations against such beings in the presence of the Lord. But these men blaspheme in matters they do not understand. They are like brute beasts, creatures of instinct, born only to be caught and destroyed, and like beasts they too will perish."

II Peter 2:17-18 "These men are springs without water and mists driven by a storm. Blackest darkness is reserved for them. For they mouth empty, boastful words and, by appealing to the lustful desires of sinful human nature, they entice people who are just escaping from those who live in error."

YOU are fullfilling Biblical prophecy, Matthew 10:22a "All men will hate you because of Me..." John 15:18 "If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated Me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to this world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you."

Mark 4:11-12 "He (Jesus) told them, 'The secret of the kingdom of God has been given to you (believers in Christ). But to those on the outside everything is said in parables so that, 'they may be ever seeing but never perceiving, and ever hearing but never understanding; otherwise they might turn and be forgiven!''"

You see the word of God right now, but you do not perceive it. You hear the word of God spoken here, but you do not understand it.

Mark 4:14-15 "The farmer (God) sows the word (Bible). Some people are like the seed along the path, where the word is sown. As soon as they (you) hear it, Satan comes and takes away the word that was sown in them."

Matthew 10:32-33 "Whoever acknowledges Me before men, I will also acknowledge him before My Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before men, I will disown him before My Father in heaven."

John 8:47 "He who belongs to God hears what God says. The reason you do not hear is that you do not belong to God."

ska57
"who cares of earthly possessions, when you die you die nothing more."
Exactly. So what can you get on this earth that will end up being fruitfull if you cannot do anything with it after you die?

"it aint up to you where I wanna be..."
God tells us Christains to go out and share to all people the Word of God. Believe me, you do not want to go to hell.

"...and you know about it how? ever been there, or met anyone who has. Hell is a myth nothing more to know about it"
Have you ever seen the big bang? Ever met anybody who has? Is there a picture of it? The big bang is a myth and nothing more. The Bible is truth, and I know about hell because I've read about it in the Bible.

"well if he conquered over Satan why worry about hell at all"
Before Jesus died on the cross, there was a seperation between God and man (that's why the Jews had to give animal sacrifices). Then Jesus died on the cross and that gap between God and man was linked by Jesus. Jesus suffered the death that all of us deserved, so that we won't have to. Through Jesus we are saved. God has won, closed the gap that Satan established.

"Nah I made that desicion all by myself"
Satan was the motive behind your decision.

"I DONT NEED TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR FAIRY TALE BIBLE AT ALL."
Then how can you have a meaningful life? Then how will you get to heaven?

finti
first of all there were plenty of jews there in the first place, it was under British control and called Palestine. Somehow the UN got hung up in the biblical thingie and DONATED Israel to the Jews. Guess they were on a guilt trip for the nazis and others treatment of jews. So it was an act of UN and the Palestine and arabs cared so little for that agreement that they are still at it with the Israeli government. Without UN Israel would never have been under Jewish control.

The earthquakes and so on on earth moves in cycles, it was a lot of volcanics and earthquake activity around 3500 years ago and around 1200 years ago too.

And the rest of your postings of biblical descriptions, well ska 57 a lot of work for nothing, as I posted earlier the bible and NT is to me plain BS.
SO those tales could have been just as much out of Little Red Riding Hood as of the bible, same end result since both being fairy tales.

And as of wars, well yes we have many conflicts today. Always been plenty of conflicts throughout history too though, only thing it easier to get hold of them now because of the media.

ska57
Do you know how many millions of Jews immigrated into Israel though? It doesn't matter HOW it happened, the Bible prophesied it, and it happened. God used the UN as a tool that brought the Jews back to Israel.

But your own evolution-believing scientists even said that there are more going on now then ever before.

And you are proving EVERY-SINGLE-ONE-OF-THEM yet again...

It is easier to get hold of them because of the media, but there are still more conflicts going on now than ever.

finti
Yeah I know millions immigrated to Israel after the Jews got their own nation as a present from the UN, That god used UN as a tool is just laughable

as far as they know

to be fairy tales yes

name todays conflicts then

Ytaker
I have often heard people talk about the bible, call it a fairy tale... I developed a test.

1} Are there any other collaberating sources for your belief that dislike it. For instance, scrooge talking about that bastard Santa helping his workers. Yes, for instance Josephus, the Roman teacher's pet. E.G.

Testimonium Flavianum: about this time lived Jesus, a wise man, "if indeed one ought to call him a man". For he was the one who wrought surprising feats and was a teacher of such people as accept the truth gladly. He won over many Jews and many of the Greeks. "He was the Christ". When Pilate, upon hearing him accused by men of the highest standing among us, had condemned him to be crucified, those who had in the first place come to love him did not give up their affection for him. "On the third day he appeared to them restored to life, for the prophets of God had prophesised these and countless other marvellous things about him". And the tribe of Christians, so called after him, has still till to this day not disappeared.

Some bits were added by fake christian bastards, and i put marks to highlight them.

2} Is there archeological evidence. For instance, a wolf wearing man clothes and a crown in an ancient grave for the werewolf cause. Yes, there have been several discoveries. One such is the existance of the Hittites. Thought a biblical myth till their capital was discovered in Turkey.

3} Any buriel sites of actual people. If the abandoned Tomb of Snow White was discovered, we could believe. Yes, the tomb and rotting remains of Caiaphas (John 11:49-50) was discovered by workers constructing a park, south of Jersusalem.

4} The structures mentioned- are they fictional? No, for instance water tunnels in 2 Kings 20:20, and 2 Chronicles 32:30, built by King Hezekiah to provide water during the Assyrian siege.

5} Finally, have there been obsenely intelligant people rooting for our heroes. If Steven Hawkings wore horns, and typed out "Thor Rules!!!" continuesly, then it would be so much more respectable to honour ragnarak. Yes, for instance C.S. Lewis, writer of the Narnia series, was a devoted christian who wrote many books.

finti
That is why I compare the bible/NT with Homers Illiad, actual events and places was used in a history where the happenings was alter to make a better or more suitable read

finti
yes Hattusa, though Hittites have been written about in Egyptian scriptures, very little about the Hittites found in Hebrew scriptures.

Ytaker
Pathetic. I was explaining how the entire bible can be verified. The equivelent of finding the wooden horse, and Achilles' armour. Actual miracles examined by actual historic people, actual events written on the walls.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>