What is the world made of?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

lil bitchiness
Ok, here is a truly philosophical question, that....i havent thought about in a while... blink

eek!

So what do you all think about it, its hard i think, 'What is the world made of?'

To be honest...i dont relaly have an answer to this. If you say, its made of rocks and mountains and water...well its not really, i didnt ask what the 'Earth' is made from, but whats the world made from.

Then again, if you say its made out of people...well it isnt really made from us, is it. World existed before we did, appearantly.

Is it made out of ideas...well hmm...i dont think so, again, the world existed befre any ideas have...

Its interesting, since there isnt really an answer big grin

So what are your thoughts?

Cynethryth
I like the idea that the world, at least our world, is just made of imagination and interpretation.
The world already existed before there was anyone who could have had any imagination, but it wasn't really a world then... it was the possibility of a world. The word "world" somehow implies subjectivity and the own point of view, that's what makes the difference from "earth". Earth is more general, earth is made of materia, earth is impersonal, earth could be any planet, any space-filling object.

Linkalicious
Liquid hot....

*does quotation thing with hands*

Magma!

Sexay1
laughing ^agrees with 'Dr. Evil'

Syren
Oh dear, Link, use your brain cells, alright you have an excellent imagination and sense of humour, but come on baby, make me proud stick out tongue

I personally think the world is made up of individual concepts and interpretation (Nice word Cynethryth) from the viewpoint of each individual. The way in which every single person percieves the world, and proceeds to state their viewpoint, makes up the world we all know.

Gregory
I suppose the "soul" of the world is its history. The physical material it is made of plus its history--from the beginning of life to the various mass extinctions and every thing else in between--make the world.

lil bitchiness
So, what did you identify as 'world'?

Gregory
I just told you--the world is the physical Earth taken together with the only thing that makes the Earth truely unique--it's past ("Water"...yadda yadda..."intelligent life"...that all could exist elsewhere). It could possibly be said that world is to Earth as home is to house, although I probably shouldn't, since your definition of "home" might not match mine.

Linkalicious
The world, is just another name for a celestial body like a planet

WindDancer
I always have consider the world to be made out of two things: Solid visible objects and the ideas which shape our lives. Is not easy to explain but I think that our world has too many ideas. Of course as long as ideas help humanity is a good thing. As for the physical world, I guess that doesn't change much. Maybe the objects that we experience in our lives determine our thinking? Does it come down to the studies of Logic and Physics? Is really hard to pin point one or the other.

Fire
I think the world is made out of ideas, without ideas the world would be an undefinable weird place

eezy45
Protons, Electrons and Neutrons? blink

Linkalicious
quit joshin' the people eezy. We all know the world's made of cheese!

eezy45
which is made of Protons, Electrons and Neutrons!

WindDancer
That's the moon Link stick out tongue

Linkalicious
that too...

but i was watching this "documentary" roll eyes (sarcastic)a couple of days ago and this little mouse broke into song and started telling everyone "there are no cats in America, and the streets are made of cheese"

It was beautiful...and very philosophical yes

eezy45
here you can see what cheese is made of!

lil bitchiness
Ok, ok ok, you guys!! You are all so great, and Gregory, thanks for your deffinition, i understood you.

I however, didnt ask what World IS but what is it made of. Note the differance.

Fire
as said before the world is made of ideas big grin

Cynethryth
Or of the interpretations of ideas wink

lil bitchiness
big grin possibilities are endless...thats why this question hasnt got a deffinitive answer!

WindDancer
That reminds me of An American Tale! wink

Gosh I missed Fivel. He was a cool mouse. big grin

Dexx
thw world, as everything belonging to existing matter, is made of atoms.

Fire
and idea always requires interpretation else it is not an idea

but really think about it without ideas and names and concepts what would the world be?
it would be a "blob" with a lot of other "blobs" on it and in it.

BackFire
It's made out of atoms and molecules.

Fire
well guys lil asked for a philosophical answer not a technical

lil bitchiness
Exactly, thanks Fire. smile

Besides, I didint ask whats the Earth made of, but whats the world made of. stick out tongue

Darth Revan
Well, I suppose the world is really just our interpretation of what we see around us--a person who has had an easy life will generally see the world as a nice place, whereas a person who has been through a lot of crap will see it as a negative place. Generally speaking.

However, as Milla already pointed out, humans have only been around for a split second of existence. So that's a tough one...

BackFire
By saying "the world" you are basically reffering to earth. Unless you are talking about some other world that we don't inhabit.

But ok, I will answer the question in a "philisophical" way. The world is simply made of every living creature that exists on it. For without them it would simply be a large rock. Without man, it wouldn't even be a world, or earth. Those are both words/names we use to identify this large hunk of rock we live on.

Syren
No, by saying "the world" she meant the world in which we live, not it's physical state but it's concept, interpretation and mental portrayal.

And it was good of you to answer the question "in a philosophical way", considering it's a Philosophy Forum I assumed it would be the only way to reply big grin

Fire
still say it's all ideas smile

Syren
roll eyes (sarcastic)

Stubborn sod stick out tongue

Fire
well then tell me what the world would be like without ideas stick out tongue

lil bitchiness
No, Im not talking about physical ''earth'' then i would be asking whats the plantet/earth made from.

People have always been asking,

"What is the world made of?"

and

"What holds it together?"

These are ''eternal questions'' as they call it... Also, the key here whom you ask, you will get very different answers to that question. To a biologist, the world is made of living organisms. To a chemist, the world is made of molecules formed from atoms. If you ask that question of a physicist, the physicist will probably start by talking about atoms, and then he/she will talk about the protons, neutrons and electrons that make up an atom and all that crap. You ask philosopher he'll tell you ideas, you ask ordinary man on the street, he'll be vague and say ''rocks'' and dirt and what not, you ask religiousleader he'll say of God, as he's everywhere...

But then again, most of these are one side of the ''world'' being made from...its like, whats the idea made from? Not where does it come from, not why its there, but what is it made from.

If you tare a wold apart, what would you be left with? messed Im kinda thinking along those lines. messed

Syren
Perhaps you should rephrase those particular questions?

If that doesn't explain to you all what Milla's trying to ask, then I don't know what will. She's given examples of varied points of view, and as different opinions were what she was looking for to begin with, why don't you all try to be a little less logical in your answers? Try to be a little more open minded with regard to the questions, and don't take them so literally.

I think we'd be left with the fundamental elements, not physical, but mental. Preconceptional ideas. So I guess Fire may have been onto something...... yes

The Omega
Lil Bitchiness> Here's a question from the pragmatic scientist big grin
DEFINE "world", if it's not the planet Earth made from atoms.

Then I can tell you what I think it's made of. But frankly, I think it's in the eye of the beholder, being - if I understand you correctly - a human concept.

xeous
Spoken like a true matrix fan, "a human concept".

The world in which we live is the people around us. Our friends, neighbors, allies, and enemies all make up this world. The points of view we have of them and their actions(which they do by the ideas they have) all create the "world". Every living(and sometimes non living) thing on the planet that we call Earth is what makes up our world. Period.

lil bitchiness
Exactly big grin

Defining what world is would be the hard part, ater thats over, its somewhat easier to define whats it made of. happy

I guess to me the world is....everything arround us, physical, non physical blink ideas, concepts, earth....everything...i dont know, but thats my side of it....

I dont really know how to define it....to be honest.

rusky
The world is made of the beholder...

((The_Anomaly))
It's made of matter.....................

((The_Anomaly))
Matter and energy.........

Fëanor
seek...and the answer will forever elude you

the answer to that question is determined by those who dare to imagine then convey their thoughts and feelings to those who would listen...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.