Do guns in the home make us safer?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Agent Elrond
I don't know if this belongs here, but I think this is the best place. I have to do a project where I have to say that guns in home make America more unsafe than if there were no guns. All I need are basic arguments; try not to get angry. Your help is greatly appreciated.

If there is a better spot for this, move it , or if there is thread like this, post its link. Thanks

Tptmanno1
This is a GD thread I believe.
But I must agree no guns are good, When have you ever heard of someone accually stopping a robber because he had a gun?

lil bitchiness
Nope. Guns are danger. It isnt the answer erm

Darth Revan
Depends. On the one hand, if a gun is locked up tight in a safe, say, if somebody likes hunting or something, it really doesn't have much of an effect at all. On the other hand, if somebody keeps a loaded gun under their bed, and their three-year-old finds it, it could do a lot more harm than good.

Actually, Tpt, my friend's dad did scare away some people. I don't think they were actually planning on stealing something, probably just a group of drunk Frat boys, though... Anyways, he heard them outside about to come in through the back gate, and he got his shotgun and cocked it, and they ran away just at the noise.

Overall I think the risks outweigh the benefits.

<<Solo>>
Exactly....I think you should have them in a safe though. Because just thinking about if I had a kid, him blasting me away with a rifle or a shotgun.

BackFire
For once, me and Lil agree on something. Guns in a home usually end up hurting a family member they were meant to protect rather then an intruder.

shaber
Yeah they are what are termed as "double-edged weapons."

Agent Elrond
Thanks for your opinions. I got the easier side in this debate, proving guns do more harm than good.

Tptmanno1
But the way you described it DR a Dog or a loud yell would have probably done the same thing.

Raventheonly
Certain types of guns are unsafe in my opinion... assault weapons and small machineguns are extrodiarily unsafe and iloggical unless you are on somekinda battle field, yet pistols with safetys and unloaded can act as a deterant anyone how can load and cock a pistol should have enough sense not to and its mainly the parents not making clear the danger of the weopon at hand. Most times when you would need a gun outweigh the risk factor of the weapon in most cases.

Darth Revan
Yes, I agree. Like I said, the risks far outweigh the benefits.

Cyclops
This is the greatest example of an oximoron. By having a firearm in your house, you are putting your family at risk. It is far to probable that a young one (Pending you have one) can access said firearm.

The problem lyes therein. At what risk do you want to 'preserve your family's safety?' When are you sure your family is safe? There is always a way around anything. Security systems, what have you. There is always a way.

People are flawed, its a fact. By carrying a firearm, you are only adding to the problem. Well, in my eye, anyways. (By the way, I put eye on purpose as a joke. N'yuk)

finti
it is ways to make the gun not harmfull in any way unless you use it as a club, the easiest way is to separate the ammunition form the gun.
I am part of the Norwegian mobilization forces, Home Guard(similar to the US national guard, only that we all have done our tour of duty so we have military experience). We have a gun, an Assault rifle which is a fully automatic with selective fire (AG-3) at home as part of the equipment. We have taken out the firing pin and placed it at a different location than the gun itself, so as of now the Gun cant fire. For us who is trained in it we can assemble the gun in a matter of seconds ready for action though

there are safetys lock on assault weapons and machine guns too.

There are also gun racks that can be locked so that no one without the key can access the gun.

Guns aint the problem, people are

Cyclops
A child doesnt know any better! Besides, what is the point of keeping a weapon that is meant for protection that takes an hour and a half to prepare to deturr? (Safty, ammo, etc.)

The hour was a bit of an over-exxagoration.

Morningstar
well we aint allowed to keep guns in homes in Australia and we generally have a lot less deaths from guns, and crimes and stuff than in America. . . . . if that made sense roll eyes (sarcastic)

Cyclops
If you need a better view, rent 'Bowling for Columbine"

wuTa
in the US some States your allowed to carry guns its legal as long as you have a permint...in those states Homicides and Robberys are significanly lower than those states that you cant carry a gun...cyclops said "a child doenst know any better" he's right they dont but the parents do....hey just coz a parent is irresponsible and cant lock up a gun dont take away my guns and leave me unprotected in the middle of gangland

BackFire
Unfortunately, most people who own guns don't have the training, or general intelegence necessary to keep their family safe while at the same time owning a gun. They think that by placing the gun in a shoe box in their closet automatically detours any possability of their children getting ahold of it.

I agree that guns arent' the problem, but I think they are far to easy to own, at least in the USA. And the fact is, most of the time guns that are kept in the house for protection usually end up hurting or killing the family they were meant to protect.

If everyone had to have the training you do before they can own a gun, I would have a different stance on the issue, but unfortunately anyone can get a gun. And that is not a good thing.

Myth
People just need to be educated propperly about guns. Too many morons in this world leave their guns where children can get them but I'm not going to 'not' have a gun at my home because of those retards. I'm going to have a gun but make sure its propperly stored where I can get it, but not young children.

Cynethryth
yes

No weapons can make the world safer
They are what make it un-safe
At least for the rest of the world that doesnt have weapons.
But you ask "Do guns make us safer" - if "us" is meant to be those that possess guns, then the answer would be yes.
Guns are the egoistic way of making your own life a little safer, but endangering the rest of the world.
And in the end if you possess guns, you only encourage others to have them, too, a vicious, neverending circle
If with or without the needed education, guns cannot improve anything

Btw
Statistically, one out of twenty British people has a gun at home
In the US, one out of two does.

cLoVi€
no

WindDancer
Good point! It comes down to the resposibility of the owner to keep his/her gun locked.

Linkalicious
drop the crap hippies. If you don't think owning a gun makes you any safer, then ship yourself to a middle eastern country like Iraq and then tell me how useless guns are. All the people who have anti-gun beliefs all live in a society where local governments fund police protection.

And most of you who are anti-gun probably have never fired a sidearm in your life.

Ignorant, uneducated people, crooks, theives, and gangsters are what make guns in the home unsafe. They're careless about where they put their gun, they don't teach their children how dangerous they are, and they don't take the necessary precautions to ensure it's safe use.

All i know is that no one's ever stepped foot on the United States to invade, but when that time comes....i'll be sitting on my porch with my shot gun, rockying chair, and whittling knife ready.

Agent Elrond
It it those ppl with guns that makes Iraq so dangerous. There are countries swho spend more money on guns than food.

Once again, thank you for your opinions. They have helped me prepare my proect, so now comes the debate in my class.

<<Solo>>
Man Link, That was the most awesome thing I'll hear all day.

Linkalicious
Well in the United States, the reason why they allow citizens to posses a firearm is because of the amendment in the constitution that was created in the time when a local Militia was needed.

Now adays, there really is no need for a local mililtia, but in the event of some cataclismic nightmare where anarchy reigns supreme....I'd sure the hell feel a lot safer protecting my family and remaining rations with a gun rather than using my verbal powers of persuasion.

Sexay1
Yeah I agree. I don't feel safe unless i have a gun in my house.

shaber
They're 'illegal' in the UK, but it is very easy indeed to acquire them on the black market. In some areas the police are a total non presence - one man even made a video tape of himself proudly totting an 'illegal' firearm in the middle of the road in such an abandoned area; the sort of place that contrasts with anywhere the Macpherson report criteria operate!

lil bitchiness
Its because of people with opinions like yours that are the reason America has a rising gun problem. UK gun problem has declining, not very sagnificantly, but still...

I am very anti-gun, but i have fired the weapon while back (released that its not as easy as it looks in the films) being anti-gun has nothing to do with someone not having fired the gun before or heald it or whatever.

Guns are dangerous, and as mentioned before, it is dangerous for the family in whos house the gun is. I mean seriously, what would happen if everyone had a gun??
Look at the gun problem you people have in USA, its rediculous, they are so easy to access, and i think the Columbine incindent proved what happens when a kid gets a hold of one.

shaber
Linalicious, I have in fact fired a gun before in a rifle range but had difficulty hitting the wooden target.

shellie
im a mother of 4 beautiful girls & it is my duty to teach them about the pros & cons of gun ownership . i will not allow guns in my house . you never know when an accident can happen . i could not forgive myself if something were to happen to one of my duaghters becuase of someones carelessness with a gun in my house . that being said this is america & we do have the right to bare arms rather it be for protection or hunting , i understand why . i just hope when children are involved common since is used & the guns are in a safe that only the parent knws the combination to .

Linkalicious
k guys read my post over again... see that word probably? need i explain its meaning?

People like me are most certainly not the reason why the United States has a problem with guns...and shame on you for even saying that. I've been to training classes, classes on proper gun maintainence, and on safe keeping in the home. People like me are the reason why the NRA exsist. Because we believe in proper gun use.

Cars are dangerous too. Car accidents kill more people each year than gun violence. Ever care to ask yourself.....what would happen if everyone had a car? It's no different....and just as dangerous. If a kid grabs the car keys and decides to take dad's BMW for a spin...is that really any less dangerous than that same kid holding a gun in his hand?

NO

It just depends on how stupid the kid is. Columbine taught us one thing...some kids are just morons. They are the same kids that set people's hair on fire because Beavis kept saying "fire, fire" and the same kids that shoot at people driving their cars down the highway.

Taking away guns isn't going to eliminate ignorant little morons...

shellie
good point

shaber
*Following Link's point on cars* The US driving test is so easy that it amounts to the same thing stick out tongue

Linkalicious
The United States increasing gun violence problem I will place squarely on this whole Gangster Hip Hop crap that EVERYONE loves oh-so-dearly. I don't hear nearly as many British rappers as I do American rappers...infact, i can't think of any significant ones.

You have role models like 50 cent who do nothing but rap about how they managed to become swiss cheese by playing with guns. But instead of promoting some anti-gun message these sons of b!tches take their shirts off and sport their scars like a damn fashion item.

That and I'm almost 100% positive there isn't a square block of England that could compare to Watts or Martin Luther King Blvd. in South Central, Los Angeles.

The Columbine Incident just managed to show how truly ignorant some redneck children are in middle America. Way to use two kids who wear trench coats in beautiful 80 degree weather as an example of "normal" Ameican children.

BackFire
As I said, I would have no problems with guns if they weren't so easy for anyone to obtain.

shaber
I assume it's still possible to buy 'em in Walmart?

Corran
Don't you get them free with certain packets of cereals in the US?

BackFire
laughing out loud Pretty much.

Cyclops
The point I was trying to make when I said that children do not know any better was that by having a gun in you house, you are making it accessible to all of those residing under that very roof. You can lock it up, but locks are easy to get around.

Besides, if you have a gun, do you really want to have to unlock something to protect your family? In that time, you could be dead, or a loved one could be as well.

With all the safety issues you need to go though in order to have a gun... it is not worth it.

"Damn! Someone is breaking into our house. Better unlock the lockbox, get the ammo from its hiding place, take the safety off, ensure it is loaded properly." After the 20 mins your spent attempting to 'save your family,' you could have called the police and had this gentleman arrested by then.

There are much safer ways to protect your household then to 'fight fire with fire.'

Corran
I fyou have a gun and point it at an intruder who also has a gun, I would think that they are likely to panic more and may actually pull the trigger, whereas without you having a gun they may just flee the scene or

Linkalicious
or take everything you own, tie you up to a chair, rape your wife, and murder your children, then pistol whip you for crying while you watched it all.

There's no telling what a person's motive is when they enter your house. It's amazing that you would believe with a gun you would get shot, and without a gun you could magically scare them away. How about you see an intruder in your house that's armed and shoot the SOB for trespassing.

Sure taking someone's life is wrong, but if they got a gun and you got a gun....who's it going to be, you or him?

Cyke&gt; Keep a key hidden in a Hide-a-key. That gives you access to your safe or gun case. Then in that rack have another key to access a loaded clip. but hide that key well withing the gun case. You could have that thing assembled in 20 seconds....not 20 minutes.

Cyclops
I am just saying there are safer alternatives to own a gun, and they are just as effective.

Corran
I never said it wouldn't get you shot, but someone entering your house with a gun with the intent of using it is probably more likely to shoot you quicker than you shoot them, people entering a house with a gun to make them feel brave may not actually want to use it and would only do so if they themselves feel threated, sure you may be able to get the first shot off, but have you ever shot anyone, do you think you would be able to do so easily?

Linkalicious
If everyone followed the rules and trends of a society, then YES there would be safer alternatives. But everyone doesn't.

They made this law because back in the 1700s-1800s people could just walk in your house and take over. Now you CAN call the cops, but who's to say they won't shoot you before you get that chance?

or before the cops come...

BackFire
But how often is this scenario going to happen? Not very often. It's also even less likely that he'll be there with the intent to harm you. It's even less likely that your gun would end up protecting you as opposed to just scaring the guy and makign him pull out his gun that he was prepared not to use and shoot you for scaring him. What is likely to happen, is that you'll choke when it comes down to it. You will be half asleep, trying to asemble a gun as quick as possible because there is a possibly armed person in your house who may or may not want to rape your loved ones. You're very likely to accidentally leave the safety on, or forget where you stashed your key to the gun, or fumble with the ammo trying to load the gun before he gets to your bedroom.

Link, we both live in Huntington Beach, one of the safest cities in America, you know there is practically a 0% percent chance of anything like you described happening here. And thus it is simply unecessary to even own a gun in this city. However, that's not the point.

The fact is this - A gun is more likely to shoot a family member or friend then an intruder. Either by a child finding it, or an intruder breaking into your house, finding your gun, and then using it against you. Or by some other accident.

If you take all the necessary precautions then I have no problem with you owning a gun, however, surely you will agree that it is far to easy for any idiot to get a gun just because it's his "right" to own one.

Syren
Sorry to sound so rude, but how the hell would you know the intruder's intentions? By looking at his face to see if he's the type of person who just wants the gun for the scare factor? What are you gonna do, ask him if he's actually intending to shoot anyone, or if holding a firearm simply makes him feel a little better? I sure as hell wouldn't. If some cheeky shit came into my home, where my innocent kids were asleep, I'd have a gun in his face before you could say "better safe than sorry"!

Corran
You don't know the intentions, but someone breaking into you house looking to steal things as a rule won't be looking to kill someone, but if you confront them with a gun, it's more likely that you will antagonise the situation. Someone looking to break into your house to kill or harm you with a gun, is more likely to have the guts to pull the triggger a lot faster than you can react. so having the gun in the property for protection far outweighs the dangers of your teenage child thinking he or she is cool with their friends and stealing the gun to show off, what dangers are you putting your children and their friends in at that point?

Linkalicious
you don't get the chance to do psychoanalysis with intruders.

I assume anyone that wants to enter my house while I'm asleep is nothing but a hostile threat to me and my family. I'd most definitly be able to put a bullet in someone if I even had the slightest thought that they might hurt my wife or children.

honestly Corran...you have both. If someone broke into your house, and you had the slightest feeling that they might be after the ones you love....would shooting that person be THAT difficult?

WindDancer
Point the gun at the robber. Ask him to leave or else he get's it in between the eyes. If a thug doesn't want to get shot then don't go inside other peoples houses and rob them. Is as simple as that.

Syren
I totally agree with Link. At this moment in time, whilst writing on KMC, you may think that you wouldn't be able to do it, that you'd rather not have guns around. But how can you possibly say that if you've never actually been in that situation? I'd like to think that I'd be able to put a bullet in some intruder if it meant saving the lives of my family, my family who had done not a thing to deserve to die at the hands of someone they did not know. Someone who thinks they have the right to break in and steal, armed and dangerous. Regardless of whether the intention to harm was there, I wouldn't be able to take that risk. And how do you know that the intruder would not "as a rule" be looking to harm? You cannot possibly know that, so why would you even hesitate? It only takes a second.

Linkalicious
Here's a basic rule of thumb for you anti-gun hippies.

DON'T PULL A GUN ON SOMEONE UNLESS YOU INTEND TO USE THE DAMN THING. THAT is how you're going to get yourself shot.

Syren
yes

If you wanna play with matches, learn to deal with fire.......

BackFire
I'm all for shooting intruders. But since I most likely won't be robbed or raped in the town I live in, it simply isn't worth the possibility of a child finding the gun and accidentally shooting himself.

Link, don't you think it's too easy for any idiot to get a gun? Even people who are for guns must agree with this.

Syren
Neither of us are disagreeing BF, but can you say that you would rather have no protection just because of the morons out there who might get hold of a gun? If someone in your family were to be shot by an intruder, as unlikely as that may be where you live, would you be able to justify not having protected them by saying "I couldn't allow a gun coz any idiot could do something silly"?

Linkalicious
oh most certainly. Getting guns isn't the problem though. It's teaching proper usage and safety with a gun....that's the problem.

It takes 2 weeks, i think it should take bare minimum 6 months worth of schooling and training.

Unregistered guns....well, EVERY country has those. It's just the way the world is.

Corran
Syren do you have a gun?

BackFire
Yes I could Syren.

On the other hand, if you never got any intruders in your house, but you owned a gun and your kid killed himself with it. Would you be able to justify your child being dead because you felt the need to protect yourself from something that probably will never happen, and that probably wouldn't even protect you from that event in the first place?

Linkalicious
Yes I could justify it.

However, I COULDN'T justify owning a gun in my household without teaching my son the dangers of using a gun, and of course, without a means of keeping that gun out of my children's hands. Besides...in your scenario...where do people who like to go hunting fit in? Or is hunting now unjustifiable too?

BackFire
I think hunting is just stupid. Unless they live in the wilderness and have to eat what they kill in order to survive, I see no point to it. But that's irrelevent, the topic of this thread is about guns and the safety, hunting does not fit in that topic.

Syren
Yes it does. Keeping guns for hunting in a home is completely relevant.

And no, I do not own a gun.

Corran
then if someone breaks into your house with a gun you are not safe?

BackFire
Okay, well hunting weapos are usually large rifles that most kids wouldn't be able to operate without knowing what the hell to do. Also, most people who hunt seem to be smart with their guns and know how to handle them and how to keep their children safe, as oposed to people who own a gun just because they can, and keep it in their underwear drawer.

Cyclops
But what is necessary in forms of hunting? There is what is necessary for hunt and what is excess?

I have a few friends that hunt, and they mostly use compound bows for their hunts. Yes, they have some guns, but that is given.

A hunting rifle and a pistol are two different things.

yerssot
depends who shoots wink

Syren
I guess it comes down to each individual's decision as to whether they feel it more likely that an intruder would break in and shoot a family member, or that their child would harm themselves with the gun. IMO, I'd rather not take the risk that maybe an intruder would break in, with the intention of harming someone in my family, and that I did not have the protection there. Obviously my children would not be completely ignorant to the dangers of a firearm, and it would be kept out of harm's way.

Corran
but you don't have a gun, so your argument is irrelevant on that, are you going to get one now?

Syren
It would never happen here, and I live alone, so I have no-one to protect other than myself. Therefore, the decision not to have a gun is completely down to me. Also, it is illegal, that helps my decision a little...

BackFire
Well, then I'm all for you owning a gun. If everyone who owned a gun took the same precautions as you would and as Link would, then I would totally be all for gun ownership in this country. I just think the gun laws are too sloppy and irresponsible for the most part.

Plus, living in one of the safest cities in America, I see no logical reason for me to own a gun, so I won't be getting one anytime soon.

Syren
You are being ridiculous. I was speaking hypothetically. If I did have a family to protect, I would have a gun, that is what I am saying. But as I do not, I don't feel the need to have one simply to protect myself.

Corran
Yes, which is what I think, the cahnces of someone breaking in armed is very low and because of that and the chances that they would actually use it if someone did means I am safer without one.

Cyclops
Strong words. However, anyones standpoint is their own.

To keep a gun in your house is saying "I dont trust people, so I am going to kill them."

Syren
I agree with that. Not enough information and too much ignorance can be very dangerous.

Syren
Uh no, I don't think so. That's a little too black and white.....

If I had a gun and had to give a reason it would be "Just in case". Simple as that.

lil bitchiness
Yeah, lovely, give everyone a gun, let everyone kill each other. On the other hand, why the hell do we need police and law at all, we can all own a gun and that would be the end of everyone troubles.
What a wonderful idea!

Syren
But Lils, surely you wouldn't mind, as a long life is a cursed life right?

lil bitchiness
That doesnt mean we should all jump in front of trains and wave guns arround.

Then again, you are all free to do that if thats what you wish. Im trying to cut my re-incarnating process by at least 1000 lifes.stick out tongue

Cyclops
EXACTLY!

Too many people have this frame of mind:

"Who can we rely on to save our families? The police? When it comes time for my family's well-being, I would prefer to have a gun."

That just make things worse!

Syren
I will apologise right now then for feeling exactly that. I would hate to be the type of person who decided not to protect my family to the end, just because I could remind myself that the Police would do it. Please, I'd never put my life in someone else's hands, not consciously, why the hell would I put my family's lives in someone else's hands?

lil bitchiness
Think of it this way everyone.

In ancient times, there was no such a thing as law and police and if someone hurt you or your family member, you would take a revange on them, one way or another.

What do you all think that lead to? It lead to more and more killings and murder.

There is a reason we have law and courts and police.

Do any of you know where the idea ''eye for an eye and tooth for a tooth'' comes from? Its from Hammurabi (sp) who was king of Babylon from 1792-1750 BC. In his times, he said there is an eye for an eye and tooth for a tooth (and there was another one in between bt i cant remember it)

I dont think dealing with law by yourself is a right way to go about it, its a little ancient and i believe we have politicly advanced that much that we do not encourage revenge or taking law into own hands.

That kind of thing would lead to Anarchy, would it not, if everyone had a gun adn waved it arround as they liked.

Ushgarak
Not that I can see that this is remotely philisophical...

But the whole idea of gun responsibility is a massive red herring. I am fully trained and cleared to operate army-grade weaponry (though point of trivia, due to an outstanding medical declaration from the Royal Army Medical Corps, I cannot fire them unsupervised...) but I don't think that kind of thing makes any difference to the situation at all.

First of all, you cannot compare guns and cars. Like them or not, modern society would cease to function without cars. Guns are a luxury item. Luxuries are far more prone to be legislated out if they are causing trouble.

Secondly, it does not matter how much the problem is lack of good gun education. The fact is simply that the high supply of guns in the US is a drect contributing factor to its enormous gun death rate. Decades of trying to educate people has had no discernible effect. People are dying, and in the US, the rate at which they are dying is ridiculous compared to the rest of the world. There is no damn time to try and get education working. Legislation to stop this death rate is the only sane solution at this point- and I am sorry for those who want to own guns, but like I say, people are dying and it is not worth it. And yess, 99% of those affected by such legislation would not be remotely criminal people but it if improves the gun death situation- and it will- that is a necessary sacrifice.

Thirdly, blaming it all on cultural problems with youth in certain cities is a distraction. The US gun death rate problem is spread all over US society. That the gun death rate amongst the criminal elemet is very high is not remarkable, because it is also very high everywhere ELSE. Obviously, that is just more discernable in criminal observation.

WindDancer
I don't think Cops care about other people's families. The only reason they protect is because they are getting pay to do it! Many times cops just don't bother to show up to scene right after a report has been filed. Some cops are even racist! Do you think a dept. like the LAPD are dedicated cops? HELL NO! So many crimes happen because thugs know the police will show up late! The days of the good cop serving the community are long gone! All we got left are a bunch of RACIST PIGS! That only want to harrass minorities!

Syren
I'm quoting this coz I don't think it should go unnoticed. I absolutely love it when Mike gets his knickers in a twist, gets me all excited whistle

lil bitchiness
laughing out loud nickers is such a funny word....

Ushgarak
Oooh, I excite Syren...

Syren
embarrasment

You know you do, you naughty boy!

Milla? Knickers? How about Pants?

lil bitchiness
Nah, nickers is so funny....nickers. hah!

Linkalicious
What point are you proving with this statement?

We're talking about owning a gun in the peacful confines of a household. Not walking down the street shooting people at will.

Why did they have police or a sheriff back in the western days if everyone was aloud to carry a gun on their person? Because the police can only do so much to protect you. Their job is to do their best to protect the innocent, but their primary job is to uphold the law. And the law states that you have a right to protect YOURSELF against unwanted and unlawful trespassers.

I got a wonderful idea. Lets create technology that will enable Police to stop someone from commiting a crime before it happens. Then we won't need guns to protect ourselves. Oh wait, that didn't work in Minority Report and it won't work in real life.

Guns are allowed in the home for a 2 reasons.

1. To hold guns that you would use for things like hunting or target practice.
2, To protect yourself.

I can't really think of another reason....oh, execpt if you use it to change the channel. big grin

lil bitchiness
''We're talking about owning a gun in the peacful confines of a household.''

That statement is so ridiculous! You are buying a gun in an intention to hurt someone! Thats what guns are for, they help people kill other people!

Not the whole USA is you Link.

Linkalicious
When i used guns and cars as a comparison i was using them as an example of how easy it is for a child to obtain possession of a lethal object. Don't down play the fact that more un-licensed, underage kids die from "joy riding" each year than little children shooting themselves.

As for "proper gun education" well I don't recall the US requiring more than your legal age consent and a 2 week waiting period. There are no classes or courses required to own a gun in the US.

In which case. These "vast" numbers of deaths caused by gun violence in the US are not a result of children finding their daddy's gun under his bed. Those cases are few and far between. Gun violence in the US stems from uneducated, socially outcast, misunderstood teens that chose the road of a criminal instead of a "normal" member of society.

The city with the most gun deaths in the United States, probably, also has the most gun related Police fatalities. In which case, I'm almost willing to guarantee that the majority of gun related fatalities in the United States are from unregistered guns.

Our gun control problem doesn't start in the home....it starts on the streets. Guns are just as easy to get as cocaine, speed, or E if you know who to talk to. And those are unregistered weapons that the cops are incapable of keeping under control.

If someone wants a gun...making it illegal isn't going to change a damn thing.

Often times its much easier for inner city youths to obtain a firearm through a friend of a friend than it is to sneak into daddy's room, find the key to his gun case, and then take it out of there. ANY responsible father would put belt to ass on a kid for fiddling with a gun without permission or supervision. Sorry if you're against physical punishment...but a quick foot to the ass often works better than "go to your room."

Syren
clap

You get me so hot when you talk intelligently baby, much more so than when you make statements about a world made of cheese whistle

Cyclops
At the risk of sounding like Chris Rock.. we do not need gun control, we need ammo control. Guns dont kill people, bullets do.

Half the reason most drugs are as popular as they are is because they are illegal. Legalizing marijuana would probably lower the amount used. Part of the buzz is the risk of getting caught.

The youth of today have more freedom and less respect then ever! Parents rely on a third party to raise their children.

Sacrifise666
i got 2 guns. i have a permit for them both.

reason why i have them is because where i live man we got more homacide than nyc.

we never know what can happen next.

botankus
In the town of Kennesaw, Georgia, every family is required to have a gun in their household. They have one of the lowest crime rates in Metro Atlanta.

Raventheonly
The right to bear arms clause was not only intended for protection from others but from our government... we were a rebel cause and we made sure that if this one turned into tyranny we would be ready and able to fight back... imagine if the British had tried to ban muskets...(Logically impossible but imagine anyways.) Today if the government went hay wire we would be completely defenseless against national troops, let alone federal troops.

Agent Elrond
once again, thank you for you're opinions. Now, it's time for the debate in my class

diegocala
I own several guns, have one next to my bed, and carry one in my car. I take it with me when I go hiking and camping.

I have several years of training and a concealed weapons permit. My feeling on this is, it's better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it!

Darth Revan
I admit, my family owns a few guns. However, my sister and I knew from a pretty young age basic gun safety stuff... Don't ever point it at anybody, even if it's not loaded, whenever you pick it up, check to see if it IS loaded, etc. And until we were 11 or 12, the room where my dad keeps them was always locked up. We don't have guns with the intention of protecting ourselves, they probably wouldn't do much good because we'd have to go all the way out to the garage, load one, etc. We have them because we like to go out to the range and shoot a target.

Under these circumstances I am not opposed to people owning guns.

Actually, Link, the police and sheriff back in the western days were mostly there to make sure people didn't have guns. Back in the day, cattle towns were pretty wild places. There were always at least a few cowboys who had just gotten off the trail and were taking some time off to rest up and get drunk. None of these cowboys actually lived in the towns. Almost all of them had guns. The sheriffs got their start when people started settling down and having families. They didn't feel very safe around all the cowboys carrying revolvers. Many sheriffs made laws against carrying guns into town--you had to leave them someplace where they all got locked up before you could go into any buildings.

diegocala
Actually I think that's the UK eek!

tabby_cat1
I think guns are very safe to have in the household. What if someone broke in and you didn't know how to defend yourself and you weren't near a phone? I couldn't sleep if I didn't have my gun next to me.

Agent Elrond
project done. thanks for all your help. I do believe that guns in the home are a potential hazard esp if u got children

Korri
i have a gun wink

Blind-Enemy
if i had a gun i'll probablely blow my brains sad !!!

Agent Elrond
that so sad. People win guns tend to have a higher suicide rate. If i had one, someone in my house would be dead by now, maybe me

Raventheonly
thats not a gun problem.... there are knifes... plenty of weapons you could have done it with... its not in you.

vegeance
some guns are okey

theReject
Yes some guns are okay...I've had one since I was really young.
no expression

ClaraG
i totally agree.

amity75
Guns are for the sole purpose of killing things and why the f*ck would anyone want to kill something? Guns are bad and are only for people who are trying to compensate for having small penises.

lil bitchiness
laughing out loud haha!! I totally agree!! clap

nazgulinthedark
i dont know if anyone has alredy posted this, but im to lazy to read the other six pages, so:

i dunno if a gun in the home would make us "safer", because if an intruder or something of that nature were to inter our house, the signifcance of the gun being there and the gun not being there would all depend on if one would actually use the gun.

cLoVi€
i think i said it before..
guns do not make us feel safer they can make it even more dangerous.

vegeance
I have a bb-gun, shot gun, and a pistol and I dont have a small penis its because There are sickos out there I mean come on Leatherface was real.

theReject
yes It's sad but true... sad

vegeance
yep I do feel much safer with a gun . I mean come on have these peole heard of "jack the ripper"?

theReject
messed It's a scary world out there....

BackFire
"Guns are bad and are only for people who are trying to compensate for having small penises."

Well that explains why I DON'T have a gun, I got a big one in my pants.

theReject
I am a girl...Why do I not mind guns?erm

(This is a serious question I am not trying to be a smart alek)

amity75
People like guns because guns give one a feeling of power, knowing that they have the power to take another persons life with it. Everyone should go and watch "Bowling for Columbine" and take something positive away from it.

VENOMfanFAN
Let us follow VENOMfanFAN down the wonderful road into the past!

There was a time during the evolution of man when "Primative Man" did not have slaughterhouses. During that time, our ancestors used things called 'Spears.' These fancy do-dad's were used to pierce the hyde of various animals. (That kills animals. yes ) It was at that time that our ancestors would take their prey back to the cave and they would seperate those parts of the animal that were edible and that which would serve other purposes.

FAST FOWARD: During our evolutionary time, we have taken the spear and made the 'sword,' the 'bow & arrow,' 'Crossbow,' and other various weapons. One of which was a musket. This was a very effective, but not very hasty, weapon that was the first of many 'guns.' It was not until one man, Samuel Colt, that guns were made to fire more then one shot without having to load gun powder and such.

For a more in-depth information on the evolution of the firearm, visit here.

Now.... with all of that out of the way, the point that I am trying to make is that shotguns, crossbows, compound bows, etc., are for hunting. Handguns, machine guns, etc., are made for killing people. I know I have never seen a hunter with a glock hunting deer. I guess what I am trying to say is that there are useful things that guns can do for us. But, where is the limitation to the destructive imagination of humans?

theReject
^ and ^^ Good points! yes

amity75
"The right to bear arms" Can nuclear weapons be included as "arms"? "Hey Hank, take a look in my garage at the ICM Missile I bought to scare off any pesky house burglars"

Dark Vengeance
well I ben mugged ounce but I had a gun and every thing worked out If I didnt have one I would have probally got knifed

Linkalicious
hhahahaha hippies!!!! evil face

See ^ Guns DO make you safer. big grin

Dark Vengeance
well I really dont worry even without a gun because I have an attack train german shepherd and Im a grandmaster in kick boxing

TKD_Byatch
Yeah well I'm a 3rd degree black belt in Taekwondo and Karate, and master in Kung Fu, and I've mastered the Bo Staff and the Samurai Sword and I still don't feel safe without my gun no

Dark Vengeance
well Ive spared with a fifth degree black belt in karate and I won

Dark Vengeance
and I sense sarcasim in your voice And Yes my dog is attack trained

TKD_Byatch
That's great! My bro is a 7th and I've kicked the sh!t out of him. But still if you're house is being robbed and the guy has a gun, wouldn't you feel safer knowing that you have a gun within your reach.

amity75
I'm a black belt in Oragami.

leatherface12
My dad is a fifth degree blackbelt in karate and he's also a karate instucter. He's been fighting for like 20 years or something like that.

lil bitchiness
wanting/owning a gun = compersation for the small penis!

It just makes too much sense!happy

BackFire
Yep, even Family guy says that is true. And Family Guy never lies.

Linkalicious
So what are you saying about my .12 gauage shot gun and my .50 caliber sniper rifle??? confused

roll eyes (sarcastic)

laughing

Phoenix
Well, statistically, you are most likely to be murdered by someone who knows or someone who is a close family member. With that logic, keeping a gun in the house would be the worst possible thing you could do - you just make it easier for them!

shaber
I had a list of top ten victim - murderer relations. I can't remember it off-hand, but that did seem to be the case. However, some of them were acquaintances not of the household.

m!$hA
depends WHOS in the house!!! i mean - if there r children or immature ppl or ppl with dissabilities around then definently not!!!
if its just you then probably yes....as long as its in a hidden, accessible place!

lil bitchiness
Read my previous post. Its a compensation for ''shortage'' of...things.

Besides, like BF said, Family Guy says so, and Family Guy never lies no2

Linkalicious
yes Lil my dear...that comment was in direct response to your previous comment. yes

and Peter aka Family Guy is also the same guy that declared his house it's own nation...within the United States. Petoria, as it was named by Peter, also invaded US soil (his parapalegic neighbor's swimming pool...and claimed it as his own) This "agressive" act had Peter at war with the United States.

Family Guy is just a cheap Homer Simpson wanna be....Stewie's the brains behind the operation and he's all in favor of gun violence....as long as it rids him of "that vile woman."

Hit"Em"Up
i agree. it does dipennd on who's the owner.

how do you know if the guy or woman aighnt no wacko?

Baylin
A gun in my house would not make my family safer - infacr I'd be too tempted to shoot the kids when they're annoying me!

Linkalicious
well that's not freaking fair!!!

you're your own damn guard dog. who needs guns when you got one of them???

Jedi Priestess
may get shot for this opinion.......but regarding the statement above the question that begs to be answered is where the hell where the parents of those two?
On the the poll, Up until last year we have always had a 30-06 and a 20 guage in our home.....in a LOCKED safe. Husband was an avid hunter. Had at the most 5 kids there too. Now the key was never hidden in the house as these weapons werent meant for protection but for sport. So I dont think they help much. Too risky if you arent keeping them locked up tight in the home.

Lara
my grandad has several guns in his house but he has licenses for them and he always cleans them and takes them apart before putting them in a safety box of which he only knows the location of.

Baylin
Yeah but my bark is worse than my bite and nobody takes my bark seriously so I'm gonna become a gun dog... big grin

amity75
I'm completely anti-guns but I've just watched a documentary about the LA Crips gangs and if I lived in a neighbourhood where those little turds hung out then yeah, a gun in my home would make me feel safer and I never ever thought I'd say that.

julibug
EXACTLY! yes

Now - that said - I'm not fond of guns myself. However, my husband & son both own guns (for target shooting & hunting purposes). I have shot one of them once. I thought I had thrown my shoulder out of socket. That thing had a kick! Anyway, I think that if I lived alone, I wouldn't have a gun, but I don't have a problem with the guns we have in the house, because my husband & son both are responsible with them and keep them put away when not in use.

Dark Vengeance
I Love my guns

beaujay1
i think it is quite ridiculous that some people in some nice neighborhoods have guns. people like that have no reason to have them. i guess if you lived a city it'd be okay though. maybe, its a tough topic.

Nimfus
let me review

1st of all not all people keep guns for protection, they may have them for spot

in some cases, like livin in a realy bad neighborhood, you are much better of having a gun
but if this is true you cant keep it locked up and unloaded coz by the time u get it together you will be robed and maybe even killed

thus this is a subject that everyone has to decide for themselves

however generally i agree that its not the guns its the people
a smart person will have enough sence to put the gun where his 2 yearold wount reach it
a dambass will leave it lieing around for the kid to pick it up.

PS. Im from Australia so we dont have no problems like that. lol.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>