Privacy: athing of the past?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

shake zula
on average the american adult is on camera 32 times a day. from the ATM machine to the grocery store, from gasoline stations to stop lights, from pda's to cell phones. the price for you identity is $9.99 on the intenet. your telephone number and address are just a mouse click away.

where did our privacy go? did we just eradicate the value of anonimity for convinience?

yerssot
from time to time some people hugely overrate this "invasion of privacy"

thing was going on here if you would mind if you got on camera while being on the bus... I fail to see how they invade your privacy when they tape you sitting on a bus ... blink

Kaleanae
Have you read Digital Fortress by Dan Brown, has very interesting facts 9(?)
Did you Know?

* In large cities, Americans are photographed on the average of 20 times a day. (the one you wrote before)
* Everything you charge is in a database that police, among others, can look at.
* Supermarkets track what you purchase and sell the information to direct-mail marketing firms.
* Your employer is allowed to read your E-Mail, and if you use your company's health insurance to purchase drugs, your employer has access to that information.
* Government computers scan your E-Mail for subversive language.
* Your cell phone calls can be intercepted, and your access numbers can be cribbed by eavesdroppers with police scanners.
* You register your whereabouts every time you use an ATM, credit card, or use EZ PASS at a toll booth.
* You are often being watched when you visit web sites. Servers know what you're looking at, what you download, and how long you stay on a page.
* A political candidate found his career destroyed by a newspaper that published a list of all the videos he had ever rented.
* Most "baby monitors" can be intercepted 100 feet outside the home.
* Intelligence agencies now have "micro-bots" -- tiny, remote control, electronic "bugs" that literally can fly into your home and look around without your noticing.
* Anyone with $100 can tap your phone.
* a new technology called TEMPEST can intercept what you are typing on your keypad (from 100 feet away through a cement wall.)
* the National Security Agency has a submarine that can intercept and decipher digital communications from the RF emissions of underwater phone cables.

Kaleanae
People that see those videos like to see people sleeping, chewing gum and reading the newspaper messed

Agent Elrond
Here's a quote from Law and Order

It was something like "After Sept 11th, People are willing to sacrific privacy for security"

Anyone believe this?

yerssot
I feel less safe from those people already confused

Matrix_Neo
So... They tape you when you chew bubble gum!! THOSE BASTARDS!!

DemonicGambit-2
laughing

As long as they isn't anyone watching me clip my toenails I think I'm okay with people knowing what sites I go to and what I buy. I mean think about it, you go onto a site, say Amazon.com, you fill out the information about yourself. Then it sends you offers based on things they know about you, isn't that an invasion of privacy, too? But do we seem to mind, no. Because it's to our benifit. And as long as it is, why should we complain, or freak out.

shake zula
it's not that at all. that's of your own free will. any time you put in your info, your basically volunteering the info yourself. but what about hackers and indetity theft? i really don't mind my mug being taken by some random machine. it's the other people i'm worried about...

Darth Revan
What worries me at least a little is this damn Patriot Act thing...

yerssot
now you've done it DR stick out tongue

Fire
ooh no what a disaster someone can film you and get to know almost everything about you?? HELLO it's been like that for almost a decade

I agree with DR the Patriot Act is far more worrying

Corlindel
Thats why I like to live in my country where the government has no money to buy cameras cool

Dexx
likewise smile
though i don't feel my privacy invaded whilst in a grocery store, or an atm, or a stop, or anything like it. The technology is there to make it easier to keep track of us (that's more worrying than privacy).

Ushgarak
I like the 'anyone with $100 dollars can tap your phone.'

This trnaslates to 'anyone with the equipment for phone tapping can tap your phone', which strikes me as too obvious to be bother saying. Doesn't make it legal for them to do so- that they technically can do it (presumably by shimmying up telephone poles at night) is neither here nor there. I'd be more worried about people going through your garbage if I were you. If you are going to start quoting illegal ways in which people can get your info, I think you stray onto a different subject.

I agree with yerss, though. This kind of thing gets overstated.

Kaleanae
In one part of the school where I go, they placed a lot of cameras, everywhere. There were some students very mad about this because their privacy and this and that but the thing is, there is very expensive equipment in there. What can you do? the cameras were placed for security purposes

Sauron
in england your on camera an average of 300 times a day.

i am on camera as we speak as there is a bunch of security cameras on this weird building over the road....one of the points at me. stick out tongue

quite frankly as long as everything they know about me doesnt get published---they can watch me 24/7

The Omega

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.